Wed Aug 31st is a big day for zach wilson

Zach playing or not week 1 is irrelevant to me as a long time Jets fans.  Zach is just as likely to develop by not playing as playing.  Missing a game or two won't change his development.  If the Jets look great with Flacco as a Jets fan I'm all for playing the hot hand until it falls off.  

This season is about the Jets winning football games.  Zach is a guy on the roster.  He's either making the team better or he sits.  

• Upvote 2

It's a 2 to 4 week injury.  It will be 3 weeks on Friday.  If he's ready he should play.  If he's 100% after 3 weeks of a 2-4 week injury - and he has a week to practice he should absolutely play.

Contrary to this board - the NY Jets believe, as they should,  that Zach Wilson gives them the best chance to win. 

• Upvote 1

22 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Name one person affiliated with the Jets franchise who would have a shred of motivation to put Zach Wilson back on the football field against the Ravens in two weeks.

Well if the concern is it's too early/ season ending injury....

I'll go with Flacco, White and Streveler

Edit: dangit... I just saw 32 people beat me to it....

34 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

It's a 2 to 4 week injury.  It will be 3 weeks on Friday.  If he's ready he should play.  If he's 100% after 3 weeks of a 2-4 week injury - and he has a week to practice he should absolutely play.

Contrary to this board - the NY Jets believe, as they should,  that Zach Wilson gives them the best chance to win. 

This is a fair point.

the reason I don’t think he plays week 1 is even though he might be healthy, he will have only had practice no actual game activity.

maybe that does not matter, but my guess will be Flacco week 1.

keep in mind I thought utep was solid last night so I really don’t know much.

41 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

They also have to let Zach play so they can make a decision on this team going forward at the QB position. That presents a delicate situation for a relatively young team. As a Vet, Joe Flacco knows that they have to see what they have in Zach. At this point in his career, he's a company man. The potential problem is the 1-, 2- and 3-year guys, who only care about winning, and want the guy on the field who can do that. They are still so close to college ball where a coach will play whoever can win for him and not care about developing someone during the season. Not saying this will happen, but you are dealing with two mindsets here.

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, Trotter said:

This is a fair point.

the reason I don’t think he plays week 1 is even though he might be healthy, he will have only had practice no actual game activity.

maybe that does not matter, but my guess will be Flacco week 1.

keep in mind I thought utep was solid last night so I really don’t know much.

I agree.  He’s unlikely to play - only point I’m making is it really wouldn’t be out of the question.  The timing of the injury would say it’s more likely than not. But I agree, I would be surprised if he does. 

On 8/27/2022 at 11:36 AM, Joe W. Namath said:

This is the day I believe he has to be back on the field in order to be ready to play on sept 11th. ?

I'm most assuredly NOT a betting man.

But even if I were, I wouldn't be putting money down on Zach playing week 1.

At this point, given how little work he's done, I'd also question if he gives us the best chance to win in Week 1.

Maybe the greater good is served best by letting Zach heal, then get some actual productive practice time in to be sure he's ready and (more importantly) able, and in the interim, playing the QB who gives us the best chance to win in Week 1.  

JMO.

1 hour ago, FidelioJet said:

If he's ready he should play.

Define "ready" please.

1. Is being 100% healthy with no phycial limitations or issues part of being ready?  If not, what % is good enough for you to be "ready"?

2. Is having almost no practice time for most of a month+, in fact for most of camp, not a problem for being "ready"?  If not, how few days before the game is enough practice time for him as you see it?

3. Is giving us the best chance to actually win the game part of being "ready", or are you accepting of the fact that a low-practice, rushed-back-from-injury, was ineffective in his one showing Wilson isn't the best chance to win vs. Baltimore, but must play anyway?

4. What would it take for you to say Zach "isn't ready"?

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Warfish said:

Define "ready" please.

1. Is being 100% healthy with no phycial limitations or issues part of being ready?  If not, what % is good enough for you to be "ready"?

2. Is having almost no practice time for most of a month+, in fact for most of camp, not a problem for being "ready"?  If not, how few days before the game is enough practice time for him as you see it?

3. Is giving us the best chance to actually win the game part of being "ready", or are you accepting of the fact that a low-practice, rushed-back-from-injury, was ineffective in his one showing Wilson isn't the best chance to win vs. Baltimore, but must play anyway?

Based on everything Saleh has said about Wilson and how he has handled other injuries in the past, I would expect Wilson to play when he is medically cleared by the team’s medical staff AND has had a full week of practice (Monday-Friday).

i don’t think there is anything more to it than that. 

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

Based on everything Saleh has said about Wilson and how he has handled other injuries in the past, I would expect Wilson to play when he is medically cleared by the team’s medical staff AND has had a full week of practice (Monday-Friday).

i don’t think there is anything more to it than that. 

Agree.  Why are the majority of jet fans making this so complicated?   He starts lightly practicing Wed.  The following week, he is a full go taking all starter reps mon-sat.  He feels good, no restrictions, no setbacks, drs clear him, he plays Sunday.

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Define "ready" please.

#1.  
He should be 100%

But again, this is a 2-4 week injury. We’re not talking about rushing him back here.  It will be more than 4 weeks by the opening game.  

So, if you assume he takes the full 4 weeks, he plays week 2

If he falls in the middle of the projection (3 weeks) he plays week 1. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

13 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

#1.  
He should be 100%

But again, this is a 2-4 week injury. We’re not talking about rushing him back here.  It will be more than 4 weeks by the opening game.  

So, if you assume he takes the full 4 weeks, he plays week 2

If he falls in the middle of the projection (3 weeks) he plays week 1. 

So you clearly are good with rushing him back, wanting him to play asap with no real concerns,  don’t care he has no practice time and don’t care if he doesn’t give us the Best chance to win.

As I expected.

what’s truly sad is what you want almost assuredly isn’t what’s best for Zach or the Jets. SMH.

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Warfish said:

So you clearly are good with rushing him back, wanting him to play asap with no real concerns,  don’t care he has no practice time and don’t care if he doesn’t give us the Best chance to win.

As I expected.

what’s truly sad is what you want almost assuredly isn’t what’s best for Zach or the Jets. SMH.

A week of practice should be plenty. How much practice time should a professional football need after an injury when he’s 100%?  
There is literally. Nothing I said about rushing him back. In fact I said the opposite. Strange take. 

As I expected.

He’s QB1 and he’s going to have to play eventually. You can’t keep him in bubble wrap because “he hasn’t practiced.” If he’s cleared to play he’ll play. If he’s not he’s not. He’s been practicing all summer before he got hurt. When people get hurt during the season they don’t get 3 weeks of practice before coming back. This should not be different.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app
  • Upvote 2

2 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

A week of practice should be plenty. How much practice time should a professional football need after an injury when he’s 100%?  
There is literally. Nothing I said about rushing him back. In fact I said the opposite. Strange take. 

Nothing strange about it.  It's rather obvious why some folks are so desperate to rush Zach back into the lineup, and no, winning isn't their reason.

They're terrified that Old broke down Flacco will play decently well in his fill-in role, then Zach will come back...and not.  Again.  Just like last year where the offense was unquestionably better with anyone but Zach.  A repeat of that would be a horrific look for Zach's future here.

12 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Nothing strange about it.  It's rather obvious why some folks are so desperate to rush Zach back into the lineup, and no, winning isn't their reason.

They're terrified that Old broke down Flacco will play decently well in his fill-in role, then Zach will come back...and not.  Again.  Just like last year where the offense was unquestionably better with anyone but Zach.  A repeat of that would be a horrific look for Zach's future here.

People might have reason.  But I literally wrote we shouldn’t rush him back and should wait until he’s 100%. 
and you actually responded to that saying I wanted to rush him back.  

my question to you is, how long after being 100% should the Jets wait to have him play?

My recommendation is one full week of practice.  What do you think is appropriate?

18 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Terrified of Flaccid???  HAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAA

my question to you is, how long after being 100% should the Jets wait to have him play?

My answer is the same as it always has been, and always will be:  When he gives the team the best chance to win that game.

A threshold, IMO, he has as yet never reached.

IMO he will not be 100% healthy by week 1.  Nor will he be the best playing, most prepared QB on the roster by week 1.  He would not give us the best chance to win week 1.

Therefore, he doesn't play week 1. 

How long it takes him to play after that would be on him.

My recommendation is one full week of practice.  What do you think is appropriate?

See above. 

IMO to this point he has not earned the #1 QB job by clearly being the best QB on the roster playing the best.  He continues to be granted it by his draft position and "potential" only.  Which I am sure will happen again, because this regime, like you, doesn't care about winning now as much as it cares about validating their draft pick and hypothetical winning later.

11 minutes ago, Warfish said:

My answer is the same as it always has been, and always will be:  When he gives the team the best chance to win that game.

A threshold, IMO, he has as yet never reached.

IMO he will not be 100% healthy by week 1.  Nor will he be the best playing, most prepared QB on the roster by week 1.  He would not give us the best chance to win week 1.

Therefore, he doesn't play week 1. 

How long it takes him to play after that would be on him.

See above. 

IMO to this point he has not earned the #1 QB job by clearly being the best QB on the roster playing the best.  He continues to be granted it by his draft position and "potential" only.  Which I am sure will happen again, because this regime, like you, doesn't care about winning now as much as it cares about validating their draft pick and hypothetical winning later.

I apologize, as I thought we were discussing injury time frames and when he should return from the injury.  That's on me.  I thought that's how this conversation started.  

It sounds like your arguments has nothing to do with his injury - you're just saying Zach sucks and shouldn't play - until you've determined he's earned it.  

I am although curious how you could come to the conclusion he's earned it?  

Based on Rich Cimini camp tweets? Or do you have soured inside the Jets?

2 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

I apologize, as I thought we were discussing injury time frames and when he should return from the injury.  That's on me.  I thought that's how this conversation started.  

No apology required.  These are complex topics that touch on several things, not just one.

2 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

It sounds like your arguments has nothing to do with his injury - you're just saying Zach sucks and shouldn't play - until you've determined he's earned it.  

One the contrary, the injury is key.

As someone who already does not think ZW gives us the best chance to win vs. Baltimore even if he were healthy, the fact that he will be rushing back from injury, with minimal or no advance preparation, simply compounds my belief that he does not give us the best chance to win.

5 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

I think you bring him back when you’re confident the OL has their sh*t together and not a second before. There’s a lot of transition going on with that group, and the starters have gotten their asses kicked in every preseason game so far. You can’t ask Wilson to go out there behind an OL in flux until he can reasonably defend himself, or else you’re just going to put him on IR within three weeks time. 

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I think you bring him back when you’re confident the OL has their sh*t together and not a second before. There’s a lot of transition going on with that group, and the starters have gotten their asses kicked in every preseason game so far. You can’t ask Wilson to go out there behind an OL in flux until he can reasonably defend himself, or else you’re just going to put him on IR within three weeks time. 

I think this is fair even if they're not saying it.

Looking at the mess the OL and running game was today - probably would have been awful in pass pro too if the Giants were blitzing at all. and/or had any starters in.