For all you fools that want Jimmy G !!

Jimmy G is the perfect QB for an offense like the 49ers, which the Jets just happen to have. Kyle Shanahan's record as a coach is something like 10-42 without him and 40-12 with him. He manages the offense incredibly well. He almost never loses games for his team, something that Zach Wilson did multiple times. 

Jimmy G would be a good signing.

• Upvote 4
  • Thumb Down 1
  • WTF? 1

23 minutes ago, BornJetsFan1983 said:

yeah what the hell does kirt warner and your eyes know anyway lol

Pass attempts 20+ yds downfield:

Jimmy Garoppolo: 44

Trevor Lawrence: 42 (80 more attempts)

Tom Brady: 48 (165 more attempts)

Kirk Cousins: 47 (100 more attempts)

Kyler Murray: 33

Lamar Jackson: 39

Matt Stafford: 35

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

2 hours ago, Hex said:

Jimmy G is the perfect QB for an offense like the 49ers, which the Jets just happen to have. Kyle Shanahan's record as a coach is something like 10-42 without him and 40-12 with him. He manages the offense incredibly well. He almost never loses games for his team, something that Zach Wilson did multiple times. 

this is not true. pointing out that a good team carries him isn't making the point you think it is. he doesnt manage the offense incredibly well. Mike White manages incredibly well. Jimmy G. stifles, limits and is a liability for their team. 

His inability to make even simply throws consistently or beyond the directly in front of him for 10 yards hurts the team. Have you seen him play?

34 minutes ago, BornJetsFan1983 said:

this is not true. pointing out that a good team carries him isn't making the point you think it is. he doesnt manage the offense incredibly well. Mike White manages incredibly well. Jimmy G. stifles, limits and is a liability for their team. 

His inability to make even simply throws consistently or beyond the directly in front of him for 10 yards hurts the team. Have you seen him play?

I have seen him play. He makes long throws. In fact, he makes a lot more passes of 20+ yards than other QBs. Also, if he’s carried by his team, then why do they suck so badly without him? 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

This whole take... yikes.  He's probably having one of his best seasons this year.  I've watched a lot of Niner football this year (live in the Bay Area and friends with some HC Niner fans).  Yes the fans have bellyached in the past about Jimmy (even when playing through tough injuries).  Mike White's Game and Jimmy's game are pretty similar.  I'd say in our limited sample size MW sees the field a bit better, but doesn't have Jimmy's experience.  Jimmy doesn't really move the defense with his eyes - it's all fast processing quick release (and when Jimmy is playing good he is poised and sees his 3rd and 4th options).  I think MW (if we're lucky) becomes our Jimmy G.  My opinion (once again small sample size) is that MW's ceiling is higher than Jimmy's.  FWIW.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, PavlovsDogs said:

This whole take... yikes.  He's probably having one of his best seasons this year.  I've watched a lot of Niner football this year (live in the Bay Area and friends with some HC Niner fans).  Yes the fans have bellyached in the past about Jimmy (even when playing through tough injuries).  Mike White's Game and Jimmy's game are pretty similar.  I'd say in our limited sample size MW sees the field a bit better, but doesn't have Jimmy's experience.  Jimmy doesn't really move the defense with his eyes - it's all fast processing quick release (and when Jimmy is playing good he is poised and sees his 3rd and 4th options).  I think MW (if we're lucky) becomes our Jimmy G.  My opinion (once again small sample size) is that MW's ceiling is higher than Jimmy's.  FWIW.

Great post but can we relax?  Let’s see what happens…..garroppolo has played in bunch of big games….I guess I’m annoyed w all the mike white threads I don’t know 

7 hours ago, BornJetsFan1983 said:

Jimmy is 10-2 when he doestn throw a TD. All you have to do is watch his last game to see how limited and crappy of a QB he is. 

He has all the Zach Wilson vision with our any of the upside. He has not throw a 30 yard pass in 5 years.

Just say no to Jimmy G. We have the legend Mike White anyway.

He also brought the 9ers to a SB and looks like he will again this season. Yeah,  who needs a SB QB

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, Hex said:

If jimmy g is the perfect QB for the niners offense, why didn’t they want him this season? For that matter, why was it that no nfl team wanted him?

• Upvote 1

Just now, Sonny Werblin said:

If jimmy g is the perfect QB for the niners offense, why didn’t they want him this season? For that matter, why was it that no nfl team wanted him?

49ers didn't want him because they spent the #3 pick on Trey Lance and didn't think Jimmy G would be worth the cost as a backup. All of the other teams either had their QB or their offense wasn't a good fit for him. He's a game manager, but he does a heck of a job as one.

2 hours ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

The 49ers had Jimmy g, watched him play and decided to draft Lance and try like hell to unload Jimmy g. What does that tell you about him?

Yeah, what were they thinking? 37-17 record with SF, averages 4000 yds and 25 tds on Avg over a 17 games season with a 68% comp percentage.  He's awful. 

He's on pace for 4000 yds, 32 tds and 7 int this year if he started all 17 games.  

Everyone seems to think the 49ers will move on, I have a feeling they will re-sign him for 2-3 years. 

2 hours ago, Sonny Werblin said:

Garoppolo was coming off surgery and wasn't ready to play at the beginning of they year. Then once Lance got hurt for the year in Week 2 there was no way they were going to trade him.  He was also 31-14 as a starter for the 49ers going into this season. 

3 hours ago, Hex said:

49ers didn't want him because they spent the #3 pick on Trey Lance and didn't think Jimmy G would be worth the cost as a backup. All of the other teams either had their QB or their offense wasn't a good fit for him. He's a game manager, but he does a heck of a job as one.

To rephrase the same question, why did they spend all that draft capital to move up for Lance in the first place? 

6 hours ago, Hex said:

I have seen him play. He makes long throws. In fact, he makes a lot more passes of 20+ yards than other QBs. Also, if he’s carried by his team, then why do they suck so badly without him? 

Because the backup QBs are worse? Start with that. I don't think you'll get much pushback that he's a better QB than CJ Beathard, Brian Hoyer, Nick Mullens, and the first few career starts from Trey Lance (and the first 2 seasons from Zach). Early team rebuilds and injuries aside, those other weak 49er QB names are the rest of the reason their record w/o him sucks.

2017 & 2018 they were still very much a rebuilding team. 

End of 2017 when they briefly went 5-0 with JG it came against weaklings & paper tigers to close the season:

1. 3-9 Bears (barely won 15-14)
  2. 4-9 Texans (with TJ Yates starting)
  3. 8-6 Titans in the middle of a 3-game slide (& barely won 25-23 on 3 dumpoffs against a soft prevent D that choked)
  4. 10-5 Jax (JG almost singlehandedly blew what was an early blowout, throwing a pick in the EZ that turned a would-be 14 point lead into a tie. 21 of SF's points came off Jax turnovers: a pick-6 plus 2 more picks with drives started deep in Jax territory led to 2 more TDs; the latter of which all JG did was hand it off 3x; plus the last TD JG again didn't attempt a pass & merely handed the ball off on every play).
  5. Season-closer win was against the Rams' backups, as they were resting their starters for the playoffs.

The most recent time he missed half the season or more, just look at the rest of the 49ers injury report. They were treading water at 3-3 with him (2 of those 3 wins in weeks 2-3 against the two lowly NY teams who were a combined 1-15 in the first half of the season; the Giants beating a WFT who'd lost 7 of their first 9 games themselves). Eventually there were just too many key starter injuries piled up in 2020, including more who feel after JG went on IR himself. Missing most of the season were starters Bosa, Kittle, Deebo, Ford, both Mostert & Coleman, Richburg, Sherman, SS Tartt, and Kwon Alexander played 5, then missed 3, then was traded at the deadline (traded for Kiko Alonzo who never played for SF or anyone else ever again). Also Trent Williams missed 4 of the remaining 8 games after JG went on IR.

So it was hardly a simple tale of a healthy 49ers team winning with JG who - still healthy - then suddenly collapsed without him. 

Last year's playoffs

• SF won the 1st game by running it almost 40x; JG threw for <200 yds and 0 TDs as all the scores came either on the ground or from 3 longer FGs (2 of 3 from 50+).
  • Next playoff win a week later he was even worse, and the only 9ers TD was scored by their defense. 
  • NFCCG JG was a bit better for awhile I guess, but their one long TD pass was a short screen into the backfield that was all Deebo. Then JG blew the end of that game, too, including his taking 2 critical delay of game penalties & then a game-sealing pick in the 4th quarter. 

His play is unlikely to improve elsewhere when he doesn't have the game's premiere LT protecting his blindside as well as veteran 3 probowl skill position starters around him (not even counting probowler Juszczyk among those 3). It's an insult to those playmakers he has, to be merely game-managing the likes of Kittle, Deebo, Aiyuk, and McCaffrey. That should be a 30ppg offense.

SF hasn't faced a top-15 defense this entire season so far, so it's not like he's been challenged. Plus SF is winless this year in both games the D has surrendered >16 points -- that's too heavy a requirement for an offense to place on its defense every week. Plus I doubt Jets fans would tolerate the sack-safety he takes every 5 games, including stepping out of the back of the EZ in the 2nd half like a young Geno, in a Den game they ultimately lost by 1 point.

Meh, meh, and meh.

• Upvote 4

11 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

To rephrase the same question, why did they spend all that draft capital to move up for Lance in the first place? 

Because the backup QBs are worse? Start with that. I don't think you'll get much pushback that he's a better QB than CJ Beathard, Brian Hoyer, Nick Mullens, and the first few career starts from Trey Lance (and the first 2 seasons from Zach). Early team rebuilds and injuries aside, those other weak 49er QB names are the rest of the reason their record w/o him sucks.

2017 & 2018 they were still very much a rebuilding team. 

End of 2017 when they briefly went 5-0 with JG it came against weaklings & paper tigers to close the season:

1. 3-9 Bears (barely won 15-14)
  2. 4-9 Texans (with TJ Yates starting)
  3. 8-6 Titans in the middle of a 3-game slide (& barely won 25-23 on 3 dumpoffs against a soft prevent D that choked)
  4. 10-5 Jax (JG almost singlehandedly blew what was an early blowout, throwing a pick in the EZ that turned a would-be 14 point lead into a tie. 21 of SF's points came off Jax turnovers: a pick-6 plus 2 more picks with drives started deep in Jax territory led to 2 more TDs; the latter of which all JG did was hand it off 3x; plus the last TD JG again didn't attempt a pass & merely handed the ball off on every play).
  5. Season-closer win was against the Rams' backups, as they were resting their starters for the playoffs.

The most recent time he missed half the season or more, just look at the rest of the 49ers injury report. They were treading water at 3-3 with him (2 of those 3 wins in weeks 2-3 against the two lowly NY teams who were a combined 1-15 in the first half of the season; the Giants beating a WFT who'd lost 7 of their first 9 games themselves). Eventually there were just too many key starter injuries piled up in 2020, including more who feel after JG went on IR himself. Missing most of the season were starters Bosa, Kittle, Deebo, Ford, both Mostert & Coleman, Richburg, Sherman, SS Tartt, and Kwon Alexander played 5, then missed 3, then was traded at the deadline (traded for Kiko Alonzo who never played for SF or anyone else ever again). Also Trent Williams missed 4 of the remaining 8 games after JG went on IR.

So it was hardly a simple tale of a healthy 49ers team winning with JG who - still healthy - then suddenly collapsed without him. 

Last year's playoffs

• SF won the 1st game by running it almost 40x; JG threw for <200 yds and 0 TDs as all the scores came either on the ground or from 3 longer FGs (2 of 3 from 50+).
  • Next playoff win a week later he was even worse, and the only 9ers TD was scored by their defense. 
  • NFCCG JG was a bit better for awhile I guess, but their one long TD pass was a short screen into the backfield that was all Deebo. Then JG blew the end of that game, too, including his taking 2 critical delay of game penalties & then a game-sealing pick in the 4th quarter. 

His play is unlikely to improve elsewhere when he doesn't have the game's premiere LT protecting his blindside as well as veteran 3 probowl skill position starters around him (not even counting probowler Juszczyk among those 3). It's an insult to those playmakers he has, to be merely game-managing the likes of Kittle, Deebo, Aiyuk, and McCaffrey. That should be a 30ppg offense.

SF hasn't faced a top-15 defense this entire season so far, so it's not like he's been challenged. Plus SF is winless this year in both games the D has surrendered >16 points -- that's too heavy a requirement for an offense to place on its defense every week. Plus I doubt Jets fans would tolerate the sack-safety he takes every 5 games, including stepping out of the back of the EZ in the 2nd half like a young Geno, in a Den game they ultimately lost by 1 point.

Meh, meh, and meh.

I see what you're saying here these are good points. That's some in-depth offense. I still feel like he runs his offense well though, even if he doesn't have to do much. Depending on how Mike White does Jimmy G might still be a good signing. We'll see I guess.

8 minutes ago, Hex said:

I see what you're saying here these are good points. That's some in-depth offense. I still feel like he runs his offense well though, even if he doesn't have to do much. Depending on how Mike White does Jimmy G might still be a good signing. We'll see I guess.

I wouldn't break the bank on a QB who's not been challenged by a top-15 (let alone top 10 or top 5) defense all season long; whose D has kept opponents to 10 pts or less in half his starts; whose 2 starts where 17+ pts were needed both resulted in losses; and who's generally game-managing despite playing on an offense with 5 veteran probowlers surrounding him at LT, WR1, TE, RB, FB (plus another underutilized 1st round WR).

If all he's going to be asked to do is game-manage, that can be found for a lot less even if White ultimately shows it shouldn't be him.

He's a very limited-upside QB with a significant injury history. Let someone else offer him $35MM/year.

• Upvote 4

8 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

I wouldn't break the bank on a QB who's not been challenged by a top-15 (let alone top 10 or top 5) defense all season long; whose D has kept opponents to 10 pts or less in half his starts; whose 2 starts where 17+ pts were needed both resulted in losses; and who's generally game-managing despite playing on an offense with 5 veteran probowlers surrounding him at LT, WR1, TE, RB, FB (plus another underutilized 1st round WR).

If all he's going to be asked to do is game-manage, that can be found for a lot less even if White ultimately shows it shouldn't be him.

He's a very limited-upside QB with a significant injury history. Let someone else offer him $35MM/year.

That's a good point. I always forget about his high price. 

16 hours ago, BornJetsFan1983 said:

Jimmy is 10-2 when he doestn throw a TD. All you have to do is watch his last game to see how limited and crappy of a QB he is. 

He has all the Zach Wilson vision with our any of the upside. He has not throw a 30 yard pass in 5 years.

Just say no to Jimmy G. We have the legend Mike White anyway.

Jimmy G is like Zach Wilson if he wasn’t completely horrible

11 hours ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

The 49ers had Jimmy g, watched him play and decided to draft Lance and try like hell to unload Jimmy g. What does that tell you about him?

Tells me the brain trust blew a lot of draft capital during a nice SB window on a lottery ticket and still got a nice consolation prize by destroying His trade value.