White to Start against Buf

kevinc855

9 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

Funny thing is, the throw was if the “side-arm” Zach variety that everyone thinks is great. 

The pass was there. The ball was caught and dropped.

Mike White won the game. Berrios lost it. You can keep your what-aboutisms.

If Zach threw that pass, it would have been labeled; perfectly placed where the defender couldnt get it and only Berrios could catch it.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, T0mShane said:

The issue here is that White is clearly the Jets best option in 22 and, unless they go hard after Lamar, he’s going to be their best option in 23, too. 

I don't agree.  It was about this time last year when I started with my posts about drafting either Sauce or Ekwonu.  

Now it is time for my not too early 2023 draft priotity.

QB.  The Jets wont be drafting high enough in round one for CJ or Bryce Young.

The QB prospect that I have zeroed on on for the Jets is Tanner McKee.  In the off season to come, I'll probably be insisting on him like I was with Sauce and or Ekwonu last year. 

47 minutes ago, GangGreened said:

The pass was “behind him” 

It could of been thrown a little better, but there was a defender (94) in the path that was likely never going to allow MW to throw a perfectly located ball. All things considered, it was a pretty good throw based on the window he had. berrios normally makes those catches. When its all said and done, it wasn't a bad loss, but a game the jets could have won.

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, extmenace said:

It could of been thrown a little better, but there was a defender (94) in the path that was likely never going to allow MW to throw a perfectly located ball. All things considered, it was a pretty good throw based on the window he had. berrios normally makes those catches. When its all said and done, it wasn't a bad loss, but a game the jets could have won.

It should never have come down to that.

The ball should have been run 2 more times on 3rd and 4th down from the 1 yard line.

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, GangGreened said:

I’m saying it’s a stupid critique the ZW fan club wants to use 

If your so convinced that ZW is crap , was always crap and will always be crap why do you worry so much what fans say about him. If your so convinced MW is all that , was always all that and will always be all that why do you worry what fans say to the contrary, 

50 minutes ago, THE BARON said:

I don't agree.  It was about this time last year when I started with my posts about drafting either Sauce or Ekwonu.  

The QB prospect that I have zeroed on on for the Jets is Tanner McKee.  In the off season to come, I'll probably be insisting on him like I was with Sauce and or Ekwonu last year. 

Ilike McKee too, he'll need to sit a couple of years though. If White winds up not being the guy then they'll bring in a veteran to start with Wilson as the backup. 

My sense is that White will play good enough to earn a deal in the range of what Mariota (2yrs $19 million) and Winston (2 yrs $28 million) got. That'll get him back to FA at the age of 30. It'll also give the team time to assess Wilson over the next year to see how he progresses from the bench. Something he should've done his first 2 years. Then they can either attempt to trade him or if Wilson plays bad in 2023 they can look to give him another opportunity to start in 2024.  

I think this is the most likely scenario unless White decides to pull a Nick Foles then you're talking a longer term contract and probably trading Wilson.

55 minutes ago, THE BARON said:

I'd keep an eye on Hendon Hooker's rehab and see how far he falls in the draft due to it.  He might be a steal if taken in rd2 or rd3.

• Upvote 3

14 minutes ago, 56mehl56 said:

If you’re so convinced that ZW is crap , was always crap and will always be crap why do you worry so much what fans say about him. If your so convinced MW is all that , was always all that and will always be all that why do you worry what fans say to the contrary, 

Because unfortunately I visit this board and have to read it.

And I don’t love Mike White. I’m just not a fool who believes Zach Wilson will become a good football player, and will go out of my way to discredit serviceable play from other players to push my agenda.

10 minutes ago, choon328 said:

Ilike McKee too, he'll need to sit a couple of years though. If White winds up not being the guy then they'll bring in a veteran to start with Wilson as the backup. 

My sense is that White will play good enough to earn a deal in the range of what Mariota (2yrs $19 million) and Winston (2 yrs $28 million) got. That'll get him back to FA at the age of 30. It'll also give the team time to assess Wilson over the next year to see how he progresses from the bench. Something he should've done his first 2 years. Then they can either attempt to trade him or if Wilson plays bad in 2023 they can look to give him another opportunity to start in 2024.  

I think this is the most likely scenario unless White decides to pull a Nick Foles then you're talking a longer term contract and probably trading Wilson.

Agree 100 %.  This arrangement works. 

I'm also wondering if there is any chance JD does something wild to move up in the 2023 drat to get CJ or Young or Levis.  If not, I'm seeing MeKee as the logical 2023 draft pick for them.

I don't know what White will want, but he as proven he is an A+ back-up.  That is nothing to sneeze at.  He can come in and win if your main guy goes down.

With White, Flacco, Stev and a potential 2023 QB draft pick, there are a lot of ways that this can unfold. 

1 hour ago, THE BARON said:

The Jets locker room wants to launch Utahn goober Zach Wilson into space and your solution is to replace him with an unathletic 23 year old Mormon from Stanford named “Tanner McKee” who threw for 13 TDs and 8 INTs this season? 

• Haha 4

5 minutes ago, 56mehl56 said:

I'd keep an eye on Hendon Hooker's rehab and see how far he falls in the draft due to it.  He might be a steal if taken in rd2 or rd3.

absolutely.  he's super talented.  soooo many good qb's coming out in 2023, i cant imagine that JD does not draft one considering they dont already have their guy for sure.  i love white as a back-up but not seeing him as bona fied starter.  lots are arguing for him, but lets see how the rest of the season plays out.  this coming game against beefalo will be a nice test for him 

3 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

The Jets locker room wants to launch Utahn goober Zach Wilson into space and your solution is to replace him with an unathletic 23 year old Mormon from Stanford named “Tanner McKee” who threw for 13 TDs and 8 INTs this season? 

yeah... that's right.  

2 hours ago, Smashmouth said:

Tom in respect to the throw you are talking about  you have to take in consideration throws that Mahomes makes nobody makes. Patrick makes throws no one else should even attempt because they go against what every QB was taught their entire life he's just a special player.

In particular rolling right and throwing across your body is never ever a throw that should be made into tight coverage. Mahomes makes those throws sometimes but not all the time. Mahomes has one of the best arms in NFL history and its not fair to put any QB up against him in that category based on that single attribute. That being said White plays the game within his own limitations just like every other QB that came before him and it should not really even be an Issue. Mike White does not have a below average arm he has what's considered over and over by evaluators as a strong arm I mean the guy is throwing 20-30 yard dimes and that's what constitutes a strong arm not a below average arm I like the fact he does not try to throw ill advised passes 

4 hours ago, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

I agree he doesn’t have the higher end velocity you’d like to see on his fastball.

It’s not ideal and somewhat concerning.

He’s never gonna look like Jay Cutler or Josh Allen throwing lasers.

You might be underselling him a bit though, and perhaps it’s something he can work on improving in the offseason with the help of Tom House or some other QB guru.

White’s arm is stronger than ‘15 Fitz who had one of the best seasons for a Jet QB.

I think Fitzpatrick is a good comp for White’s arm. Fitz could put the mustard on it when he had his feet under him, but when he had to move and throw he’d get himself in trouble. I love Mike White, but if you’re checking off a list of things you’d want to see in your franchise quarterback, you’re not ticking off “arm strength.” It’s something he needs to improve on for sure. He’s listed at 215 lbs, I think. He doesn’t run anyway, so he should look to add another twenty pounds in his lower half to get some zip on the ball. 

2 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I think Fitzpatrick is a good comp for White’s arm. Fitz could put the mustard on it when he had his feet under him, but when he had to move and throw he’d get himself in trouble. I love Mike White, but if you’re checking off a list of things you’d want to see in your franchise quarterback, you’re not ticking off “arm strength.” It’s something he needs to improve on for sure. He’s listed at 215 lbs, I think. He doesn’t run anyway, so he should look to add another twenty pounds in his lower half to get some zip on the ball. 

White's arm I think is just fine.  His velocity is quite good.  We saw that last week.  He has lead feet, but that is not fatal.  To my eyes, his critical issue is losing awareness of all options as the play develops if he is pressed by the defense.  Yes, he gets the ball out, but often misses the much better target.  You need a QB that can take advantage of every chance.  Missing once in a while is expected, but he misses money way too often.  

2 hours ago, JiFields said:

If Zach threw that pass, it would have been labeled; perfectly placed where the defender couldnt get it and only Berrios could catch it.

It would also be a pass that nobody except mayyyyyyyyyyyyyybeeeeeeeeeee patrick mahomes could ever make because of the elite arm talent and ability to make elite off-platform, weird arm angle throws.

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I'd be willing to go one whole dollar above Brady to get Alex Guerrero and his "supplements" to improve White's arm strength. Kill two birds with one HGH shot, I always say!

1 hour ago, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

It should never have come down to that.

The ball should have been run 2 more times on 3rd and 4th down from the 1 yard line.

Haven't seen enough of bam, but at this point - from what ive seen, I don't know if hes the ideal goal line back. Doesn't seem like he has much push when he is head on with a defender. Could be the reason we didn't run it multiple times.

1 hour ago, GangGreened said:

Because unfortunately I visit this board and have to read it.

And I don’t love Mike White. I’m just not a fool who believes Zach Wilson will become a good football player, and will go out of my way to discredit serviceable play from other players to push my agenda.

I don't think anyone's holding a gun to your head and forcing you to read the forum or posts . If that's not the case send us a signal and we'll get you help ?

• Thumb Down 1

12 hours ago, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

The Zach die hards are hilarious 

I remember watching Jamarcus Russell and thinking he was the worst QB I’d ever seen

But as bad as he was, I don’t think he ever had the yips

From what I can recall, Jamarcus was never the equivalent of Rick Vaughn from Major League on WR screens and easy tosses to the flat

if this guy though Wilson struggled last year he should do an updated video of this year. lol

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

Fitzpatrick was a quterback

Just re-watched all of White's throws last year against the Bills. Just a few Takeaways:

1: He made some terrible throws and terrible decisions with the ball. That's how you get intercepted 4 times. The 2nd half seemed like he was forcing it downfield instead of taking what they gave him. 

2. He made some really nice throws as well. The majority of his throws were really good. 

3. His processing speed post snap seems to have really quickened since that game

4. The offensive line was terrible last year. They had 4 drives in a row to start the game that they got called for holding. It really put the offense on their heels early. 

5. Last year Buffalo played man on the outside and flooded the middle with LBers and 1 safety trying to take the middle away. The Jets didn't have a Garrett Wilson to be able to take advantage of that, this year they do. I expect that they'll run a similar defense to what they ran last year and White will have to hit a deep shot or two this week. 

• Upvote 2

On 12/5/2022 at 3:53 PM, kevinc855 said:

We got a second and fourth for Darnold....

Some team may think they can fix him and offer a good pick or two up. JD will pull the trigger if he feels White is good enough. 

Hard disagree.

Darnold was touted by most media outlets as a generational talent. Best prospect since Andrew Luck (as if that will ever be possible again...) 

Darnold also shown some flashes of greatness in his rookie year. 

Wilson has been a downgrade at QB in all levels since Darnold left. Darnold didn't leave the bar very high and Wilson can't even match that. 

Zach Wilson is the biggest bust since Josh Rosen and Mitch Trubisky. 

I knew it then and still believe we should have stuck with Darnold at the time. None of the QBs past Trevor would be good enough to equal the value of the absolute HAUL of picks we would have had for #2. Or even just the talent that was available there alone was a better deal than getting an unknown QB.