White to Start against Buf

kevinc855

3 hours ago, Beerfish said:

I understand the dislike for Wilson and the perhaps true thought that he is an utter bust.  Thankfully we have a smart gm in charge though that is not going to toss an asset in the trash if he does not have to.  He is not getting cut or traded for scraps, worst scenario is he starts next year as the backup and is ready to go if white gets hurt or falters.  Zero reason to dump him now.

If Zach isn't  starting next season (and I believe he will not) he will demand to be traded.

10 minutes ago, THE BARON said:

he shows promise as a first read QB.  he is the type of QB that can hang around for ages because he puts up good numbers against questionable defenses and then your team never seems to get anywhere in the post season nor do you win the close ones against the good teams.

that is who MFW is.

You can take him.  I would not.

Lets see what the GM does for 2023. 

You speak as if he has already played for us two full seasons. 

youre just making assumptions

dude needs x amount of starts before anything can be said

3 hours ago, THE BARON said:

White has limitations.  He is an excellent back-up., but he is not a bona fied starting QB.  He is starting for the Jets because Wilson is horrible and Flacco is ready to be put out to pasture.

Next season, White won't be in the plan as the starter unless things go very wrong. 

Last week, I felt like you do now, but I gained a lot of respect for MW in the Vikings game. He had a bad first half and the Jets D allowed MN. To score 20 points in that half. It would have been easy for him to fold in the second half but he came out fighting and gave us a chance to win. In a game that went like that one did, that is all you can ask for. I think given enough time, he will be a starter. 

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Augustiniak said:

Let’s say white is out for the season.  Wilson will dress and will likely see the field. The coach said he needs a reset and most of that is a mental reset.  They would rather him not play again until his fundamentals have improved and he’s in a better headspace.  But injuries happen.

Uh, pretty sure Saleh was just trying not to destroy Zach in the media. In the Pats game I saw Saleh rolling his eyes after Zach bounced the pass off the chest of that Pats defender. 

13 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

Last week, I felt like you do now, but I gained a lot of respect for MW in the Vikings game. He had a bad first half and the Jets D allowed MN. To score 20 points in that half. It would have been easy for him to fold in the second half but he came out fighting and gave us a chance to win. In a game that went like that one did, that is all you can ask for. I think given enough time, he will be a starter. 

i dig.  time will tell...

1 hour ago, THE BARON said:

Did they win yesterday ??? No.  Was it his fault ???  Most including myself would see the play calling in the red zone as the big issue.  I agree, but... White missed a few open guys that would have also made the difference.  Two that I saw could have been TD's or perhaps very long gains leading to an eventual TD.  Those were chances that a QB like Brady or Rogers would have been on the right side of.

Disingenuous.  Brady, Rogers, and ALL qbs miss throws. 

10 hours ago, THE BARON said:

Not at all, if we are discussing a one-read QB.  They all miss from time to time, but those guys are not one-read wonders.  

More bullsh*t.  White goes through his progressions.  Very quickly, in fact.  He is not a "one read QB".

See his explanation of the final throw in his press conference.  Explains how he looked at 3 other options before throwing down the middle because he didn't want to end the game with the ball in his hand.  Smart.

Sorry, Mrs Wilson.  Your arguments don't hold water.

11 hours ago, More Cowbell said:

If Zach isn't  starting next season (and I believe he will not) he will demand to be traded.

I can't imagine any other team offering him a starting role either.

With that said, being a back-up somewhere else - on a team who's fan base hasn't hated him, since pre-draft, is probably be a good move for him.

• WTF? 1

Just now, FidelioJet said:

With that said, being a back-up somewhere else - on a team who's fan base hasn't hated him, since pre-draft, is probably be a good move for him.

The fan base never hated. I personally never hated him until after that last Pats game where I never wanted to see him in a Jets uniform again. I just didn't  buy into the narrative  that he was going to be the guy.  I saw too many red flags. He wasn't a captain at BYU, he played crappy teams in college, he didn't look like a football player (skinny), one year wonder and his play on prior years wouldn't have even gotten him a tryout. I also loved Fields running ability and toughness.  

This whole hate thing came a lot later. Let's call it what it is. He didn't live up to his draft status. 

7 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

The fan base never hated. I personally never hated him until after that last Pats game where I never wanted to see him in a Jets uniform again. I just didn't  buy into the narrative  that he was going to be the guy.  I saw too many red flags. He wasn't a captain at BYU, he played crappy teams in college, he didn't look like a football player (skinny), one year wonder and his play on prior years wouldn't have even gotten him a tryout. I also loved Fields running ability and toughness.  

This whole hate thing came a lot later. Let's call it what it is. He didn't live up to his draft status. 

Well, I agree that he hasn't lived up to his draft status.  And you may very well did not hate him - 

And sure saying the whole fan base is an exaggeration - but there is a large contingency of Jet fans that never even gave him a chance.  Just go back to week 1 last year - there were a lot of people calling him a bust already - go read that game thread, he was being gleefully attacked after every play.

He didn't deliver - no question.

But this fan base did him no favors either.  

If I were him I would want to be traded, but he hasn't been enough to demand anything.  He has no leverage whatsoever.  I suspect he'll be the #2 QB coming into next year.  Question will be who's the #1 going into camp?

10 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Well, I agree that he hasn't lived up to his draft status.  And you may very well did not hate him - 

And sure saying the whole fan base is an exaggeration - but there is a large contingency of Jet fans that never even gave him a chance.  Just go back to week 1 last year - there were a lot of people calling him a bust already - go read that game thread, he was being gleefully attacked after every play.

He didn't deliver - no question.

But this fan base did him no favors either.  

If I were him I would want to be traded, but he hasn't been enough to demand anything.  He has no leverage whatsoever.  I suspect he'll be the #2 QB coming into next year.  Question will be who's the #1 going into camp?

Come on. People were calling Q a bust his rookie season while playing on one leg. As far as who will be the #1, until I see different, It's  going to be White. White is playing without the teams best offensive player and looks good. We need to see White with Breece which is why I think he starts next season

1 minute ago, More Cowbell said:

White with Breece which is why I think he starts next season

I think it's actually far more likely Mike White isn't on the team than starts next year.

I don't think the Jets brass view him as a franchise QB and I think they'll want to continue to try and develop Zach Wilson.  Mike White is likely to get a quality back-up contract from a competitive team.  Like a Gardner Mindschew.

This team is ready to win now - so they'll go out and spend on the best FA QB they can find.

Surely Mike White has these last 5 games to change Jets leadership's mind, but, just my opinion, it's unlikely.  I hope he does.  I would like nothing more than for Mike White to prove he's the QB that can take this team to a Super Bowl.

That's just how I see this playing out.  Obviously I can be wrong - but it's just my best, educated guess.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

I think it's actually far more likely Mike White isn't on the team than starts next year.

I don't think the Jets brass view him as a franchise QB and I think they'll want to continue to try and develop Zach Wilson.  Mike White is likely to get a quality back-up contract from a competitive team.  Like a Gardner Mindschew.

This team is ready to win now - so they'll go out and spend on the best FA QB they can find.

Surely Mike White has these last 5 games to change Jets leadership's mind, but, just my opinion, it's unlikely.  I hope he does.  I would like nothing more than for Mike White to prove he's the QB that can take this team to a Super Bowl.

That's just how I see this playing out.  Obviously I can be wrong - but it's just my best, educated guess.

I don't think any of the QBs peeps are hoping for will be available. The best QB will likely be Wentz. Now that JG is out for the season, there is a chance he is available but I think the 9ers know what they have in him and given the choice of rolling with an unknown and known, they probably go with the latter. I also think Derek Carr is going nowhere. He isn't the problem on the Raiders and they would do a lot better getting him WR's and TE's than a new QB. He is playing good without his top 3 TE. White might be the best option for the Jets when all is said and done. 

1 hour ago, FidelioJet said:

It is. I don’t want to hear that the Jets can’t waste an asset etc. If a reset is truly going to work, it can’t work with the Jets. It’s way too awkward. He needs a fresh start and I’m sure a team would trade at least a 3rd rounder for his “upside”. Normally I would be all for a QB learning and developing on this team but NOT under these circumstances. It’s best for all parties involved and the Jets can’t hold him hostage for years hoping he miraculously gets better.

He should have never been drafted and should have NEVER started on a rebuilding team installing a new system based on his lack of skill. Maybe he could have developed and started in year 2 or 3 after they realized he was a disaster and a bad draft pick. Instead they compounded the mistake by starting him as a rookie and he engrained his bad habits further. We are where we are which is starting completely over with him for year 3 of his 4 year deal(5th year option is not happening). We can’t change back time and there needs to be an amicable split. 

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

I don't think any of the QBs peeps are hoping for will be available. The best QB will likely be Wentz. Now that JG is out for the season, there is a chance he is available but I think the 9ers know what they have in him and given the choice of rolling with an unknown and known, they probably go with the latter. I also think Derek Carr is going nowhere. He isn't the problem on the Raiders and they would do a lot better getting him WR's and TE's than a new QB. He is playing good without his top 3 TE. White might be the best option for the Jets when all is said and done. 

I think Carr is very much in play.  Raiders want to start over.  It'll cost, likely a #1 and $30mm, maybe throw in Zach Wilson (much like the Stafford deal) With that said, I agree it's far from a lock.

If you can't get a Carr type - I would rather bring back White  (for the right price) than sign a Mindschew or injury prone Jimmy G - type.  So I agree it's def. possible.

Also, I don't think White and Wilson can both be on the team next year - if you're bringing back White to start, Wilson must be traded.  But really this can go a million ways.

Mike White's performance over the next 5 (hopefully 5+) weeks will tell us a lot.

3 minutes ago, JiFields said:

My favorite Mike White narrative is he's definitely not the long term answer because of said limitations but yo, lets bring in some vets like Andy Dalton, Jimmy G, Teddy B, Jacoby Brissett because, we have a decade of proof they're limited and that makes me feel better inside because I know their names and stuff.

Exactly. I've seen the guys that we drafted highly; Clemens, Sanchez, Geno, Darnold, Wilson et al. and I have seen all of the guys we, myself 100% included, were devastated about missing out on by winning a few extra games in Mariota, Winston,  Lawrence et al. and despite their higher ceiling, not be able to move an offense consistently. We now have a guy who moves the offense consistently. Outside of name, I see no reason he shouldn't be given the rest of the season and an equal shot as next year's starter.

• Upvote 4

8 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

I think Carr is very much in play.  Raiders want to start over.  It'll cost, likely a #1 and $30mm, maybe throw in Zach Wilson (much like the Stafford deal) With that said, I agree it's far from a lock.

If you can't get a Carr type - I would rather bring back White  (for the right price) than sign a Mindschew or injury prone Jimmy G - type.  So I agree it's def. possible.

Also, I don't think White and Wilson can both be on the team next year - if you're bringing back White to start, Wilson must be traded.  But really this can go a million ways.

Mike White's performance over the next 5 (hopefully 5+) weeks will tell us a lot.

As far as Zach, I would be stunned if the Jets trade him without Zach going Jamal Adams. 

• Upvote 1

white at his worst is better than Zach at his  best-Wilson was a terrible pick many said it then and most if not all know it now-Joe busted out on two first round picks-he made some great picks and our roster is finally fun to watch but man if he hit on those two picks this team would be a great team

White has a very tall task ahead of him this week vs a buffalo team at home and is "angry" I dont expect a win but anybody with eyes knows Mike White is  a MUCH better QB , looks like an actual starter and the reality is he is still very green and will improve over time

The players love White-I mean come on they were wearing shirts with his face on them lol -listen to G Wilson talk about Mike White and you know without question he believes in him and that is more than good enough for me

If the Jets can snag Arod next year you do it(I dont think that will happen) but I think White is a team they can contend with 

12 hours ago, More Cowbell said:

I agree MW has played very well , especially in getting the ball out on time and in rhythm.

But what concerns about White is the fact that teams will now start to compile and process film from his games . They will gameplan against his quick read WCO style approach , it then becomes a chess match against how does MW and Lafleur adapt. Is MW suited to a downfield passing approach , limited evidence says he's been ok but its just that limited evidence. I feel he gives us the best option to win at this point but Lafleur is going to have to get creative to keep teams from stuffing the box.  If only we could combine White's quick read proficiency with Zach's arm talent. 

3 minutes ago, 56mehl56 said:

I agree MW has played very well , especially in getting the ball out on time and in rhythm.

But what concerns about White is the fact that teams will now start to compile and process film from his games . They will gameplan against his quick read WCO style approach , it then becomes a chess match against how does MW and Lafleur adapt. Is MW suited to a downfield passing approach , limited evidence says he's been ok but its just that limited evidence. I feel he gives us the best option to win at this point but Lafleur is going to have to get creative to keep teams from stuffing the box.  If only we could combine White's quick read proficiency with Zach's arm talent. 

You know what, I don't  want to hear about Zach's arm talent. Zach is the most erratic QB as far as down field accuracy I can think of and that goes for his short game as well. As far as MW arm, it isn't  as strong as Zach but he gets the ball there and better yet, he sees the open receivers. MW is also accurate on these throws. He threw into a number of tight windows already. As far as teams game planning against quick passes, Tom Brady made a career out of this. It is more reliant on the WR getting a good release at the LOS than MW. We have WRs that can do that. 

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, THE BARON said:

he shows promise as a first read QB.  he is the type of QB that can hang around for ages because he puts up good numbers against questionable defenses and then your team never seems to get anywhere in the post season nor do you win the close ones against the good teams.

that is who MFW is.

You can take him.  I would not.

Lets see what the GM does for 2023. 

First read QB? You are clueless. Go watch Dan Orlovsky break down his film against the Bears. He shows one part where he gets to his 4th read in about 2.5 seconds. You're talking out of your ass.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

You know what, I don't  want to hear about Zach's arm talent. Zach is the most erratic QB as far as down field accuracy I can think of and that goes for his short game as well. As far as MW arm, it isn't  as strong as Zach but he gets the ball there and better yet, he sees the open receivers. MW is also accurate on these throws. He threw into a number of tight windows already. As far as teams game planning against quick passes, Tom Brady made a career out of this. It is more reliant on the WR getting a good release at the LOS than MW. We have WRs that can do that. 

Hate ZW all you want but you can't deny his arm strength , I truly believe this is why he was drafted over Fields , and I'll continue to go on record saying I wanted Fields over Wilson.

MW has definitely made some tight window throws , especially one in each game to GW that have resulted in big plays . I cross my fingers that he continues to do so in the upcoming games but I worry some of those can easily become picks . Brady and the Pats system was game planned brilliantly to expose an opponents weaknesses, until I see Lafleur and company do the same - no comparison whatsoever at least not yet.