Are O's catching up with our D?

So against Chicago, the defense let the Bears march up and down the field the first two drives. Against Mn. it took an entire  half for them to come to life after giving up 20 points.  This is what we have always pointed out about the O, slow starts. If we start slow on D against the Bills and allow them to get a leg up on us early, I think we very well can be one and done in the playoffs unless they figure this out. Teams might be starting to figure out how to attack us early. At least we are adjusting but against Mn., it took some time. 

Issues to work on for our D is as always teams look to get rid of the ball quick to neutralize our pass rush. But, more recently I see teams going no huddle early in the game on us to wear down the D early and prevent substitutions in those drives. This coaching staff is fine but they need to be working on these things before they cost us games. Last week we are focusing a lot more on the D getting fumble recoveries. You should be focusing on that a lot every week throughout the year. Now this week our O will probably have to focus on RZ production. You think?. Do that every darn week man. Don’t wait for it to be a problem costing us an important game against the Vikings. Those 2 areas I mentioned are 2 of the biggest areas of football that win or lose you games and you should regularly practice and be very good at them like other teams do.

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, KRL said:

Our scheme is basic and now on tape for 12 games.  What has to happen is Ulbrich
needs to mix in more "pattern breakers" into the way he calls games:

- More LB & DB blitzes

- Some zone blitzes where the DLine would drop in coverage and the LBs would rush

- Allowing the CBs to travel and change sides from time to time

Exactly - we have to change our scheme and start to at least make offenses think a little bit.

Either that or find earl thomas and fred werner in the next draft, then we can just stay in single high all game

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, KRL said:

Our scheme is basic and now on tape for 12 games.  What has to happen is Ulbrich

- More LB & DB blitzes

- Some zone blitzes where the DLine would drop in coverage and the LBs would rush

it seems Minn uses the same 4 man rush the Jets do typically.  I saw a quote from a Minn reporter saying Minn finally started blitzing during Jets game and that seemed to be difference in game in 1st half anyway.  Jets need to do same.

31 minutes ago, KRL said:

- More LB & DB blitzes

I woukd also like to see the DL do sone stunts. It seems we do a very vanilla  pass rush most of the time. I'm not so sure about the blitz unless it is a corner blitz. Those usually  get there. Our LB's don't  seem to be well equipped for that. 

• Upvote 1

This D is okay with letting up yards.  Points are what it's designed to stop.  And I think they've done that really well.

MN is a very good offense - they're going to get theirs.  Jets D, while maybe struggled a bit early - really shut them down in the 2nd half and had an overall solid game.

Very tough to play lights out defense against good offenses/QB's in today's NFL. 

IMO - the defense is still very impressive and as long as they stay healthy-this will be a defense capable of going deep into the playoffs.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

3 minutes ago, Bowles Movement said:

This makes no sense,    If they’ve figured out our defense, then why are we shutting them down in the second half?

Adjustments.  Saleh can adjust correctly to what they are doing. At least he sees it. Bowles  woukd just play the same D no matter what happened. 

2 minutes ago, JiFields said:

The scheme is far, far, far from basic.  It is extremely demanding on everyone that doesnt play DL and requires precise communication and unbelievable eye discipline in order to correctly pass receivers off and play the cover 3 press and bail appropriately.  Hence all the early struggles in the season w/ a brand new secondary.  Once they got their communication and discipline down, they became one of, if not the best D's in the entire league. They in fact, have the best 4th quarter D in the entire NFL.  They held the Minn. offense to 275 total yards.  They held the best WR in the game to 45 yards. 

Nobody has figured sh*t out.  

Then explain 20 first half points. 

Cousins looked very confused most of the first quarter.  He started 0-5, which can happen, but he wasn't even close. 

We have up a short field field goal on the pick, and then after we went for it on 4th forth down on our own end.

That 4th and 2 penalty led to 7.  I don't remember the first td, however the is 13 points, 6 of which were basically in field goal position to start the drive.

One thing we need to do with the defense, is replace Carl Lawson with someone we expected Lawson to be. We have a lot of Shaun Ellis type ends, and no John Abraham's. Huff doesn't count. He's a situational guy. We need an every down end, with bend and explosion. We also need a safety. Mediocre there.

Some stats for reference:

The Jets D held the Vikings to their 6th lowest score in 2022, midpoint amongst their opponents in 2022.

The Jets D held the Vikings to their 6th fewest 1st downs in 2022, again midpoint amongst their 12 games so far.

The Jets D held the Vikings to 4th lowest total offensive yards (of 12).

They held them to their 3rd lowest passing yards.

The failpoint, IMO, is the Jets D vs. the run.  We allowed the Vikings their 3rd best rushing day this year.  Interesting that their 2nd best day was vs. Buffalo.

When the Jets D gets beat, it seems to get beat by the run.  

• Upvote 3

20 minutes ago, JiFields said:

Why?  What's the purpose?  Are you trying to positoin the D is not good because of one half of Football, despite all the obvious factors that led to those scores?  If so, that's ridiculously stupid and you should feel shame.

Lol, ok fine. Very constructive. They sucked for an entire half of football but I'm not going to point out any reasons for that, I'm just going  to say it's  stupid to bring that up. 

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, Jimmy 2 Times said:

The Vikings had one good drive in the first half and it was aided by 5 defensive penalties and a fourth down conversion. 

THE DEFENSE HAS BEEN FIGURED OUT!!! 

They had more than one good drive but this is a good point you brought up about the penalties. It's  possible the Jets just spotted  them too many yards and first downs via flags in the first half. 

2 hours ago, KRL said:

- More LB & DB blitzes

This. And I think it’s baked in to the overarching strategy for the season.

I was watching a 49ers game and saw some pick plays to get a WR open, and thought, we haven’t done that much this season.  I think we’re saving wrinkles like that for later in the season to take teams by surprise. That’s on offense, I’d imagine the defense is holding back some trick plays too.

2 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

This D is okay with letting up yards.  Points are what it's designed to stop.  And I think they've done that really well.

MN is a very good offense - they're going to get theirs.  Jets D, while maybe struggled a bit early - really shut them down in the 2nd half and had an overall solid game.

Very tough to play lights out defense against good offenses/QB's in today's NFL. 

IMO - the defense is still very impressive and as long as they stay healthy-this will be a defense capable of going deep into the playoffs.

The absolute key is getting pressure on the QB from the front 4. If that can continue the D will remain very strong. If the Dline gets neutralized it exposes our LBer's and Safeties to some extent.  

• Sympathy 1

2 hours ago, Hal N of Provo said:

Against MN the offense did nothing in the first half.  That makes it tough on the defense.

The defense has been amazing and can’t be expected to hold other teams to 13 every week.

No, you are good but not amazing if you do not play to a high standard every game.

You described a good but not great defense..

2 hours ago, BCJet said:

Exactly - we have to change our scheme and start to at least make offenses think a little bit.

Either that or find earl thomas and fred werner in the next draft, then we can just stay in single high all game

...and we need to do it earlier in the game.

I get a sense that our D sits back a bit and waits for the Offense to show themselves, in terms of game plan. Then, they adjust and attack.

A kind of "read and react" to start out the game, versus simply inflicting our will on the opposing Offense from snap 1. I love the way our Miami game started out.....DB Blitz (Sauce) play #1, taking out the other QB. Early and often....don't wait! You got this Saleh!!!

2 minutes ago, FootballLove said:

...and we need to do it earlier in the game.

I get a sense that our D sits back a bit and waits for the Offense to show themselves, in terms of game plan. Then, they adjust and attack.

A kind of "read and react" to start out the game, versus simply inflicting our will on the opposing Offense from snap 1. I love the way our Miami game started out.....DB Blitz (Sauce) play #1, taking out the other QB. Early and often....don't wait! You got this Saleh!!!

On the flipside, say Sauce whiffs on the Blitz and Teddy hits Hill for a 95 yd TD . Playing aggressive and Blitzing is a risky prop, we've seen that picture before with Rex led defenses. It can make you look like a hero or a fool - the NYG are a prime example under Wink  Martindale.