If Zach demanded a trade

Wit

This board is going to lose it's mind when Zach trots out as QB for Game 1 next year. Unless White is awesome and goes like 4-1/3-2 and makes the playoffs the rest of the way, there is a more than reasonable chance that White is not even on the team next year. I am not saying this is what I want or what should happen, but it is still the most likely scenario.

• Thumb Down 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Beerfish said:

Because unlike a guy like Elijah Moore, he probably  knows right now he stinks and asking or a trade when you stink is not going to happen especially with  our GM.

Yeah, I don’t think they’d go the public-whining route like Moore did, but doing it quietly via the agent negotiating the landing spot and the framework of the compensation.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Sperm Edwards said:

@T0mShane

If they traded him in March (i.e. before his next roster bonus payment) then the ‘24 hit (from his original signing bonus) would accelerate to ‘23. On the other hand, $0 would hit in ‘24, so it’s 6 in 1 and half a dozen in the other. They could just restructure someone else instead (e.g. have $5.7MM of someone else’s hit get moved to ‘24+ instead of ‘23). Total is the same in the end.

Some have trouble with that because it disrupts the senses to see that line item on screen, but it’s the same dollars getting allocated to the same player(s), where the only difference is how much has one or another’s name attached this year vs next. A dollar paid is a dollar that must hit, though.

Therefore if he’s traded they’d want it to be before that payment is made (unless, like with Leo, that’s part of the deal, and the team is in-effect buying a higher draft pick with cash/cap space).

Ultimately, would the receiving team end up with two relatively cheap years of what could possibly be their franchise QB if he worked out? The base for 23 and 24, minus the signing bonus? 

7 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

This board is going to lose it's mind when Zach trots out as QB for Game 1 next year. Unless White is awesome and goes like 4-1/3-2 and makes the playoffs the rest of the way, there is a more than reasonable chance that White is not even on the team next year. I am not saying this is what I want or what should happen, but it is still the most likely scenario.

I personally believe ZW could be a good player in the league someday, but its not happening here. Once this fan base turns on a player, it ain't happening. The media and the fan base will be absolutely brutal and its virtually impossible to play in that atmosphere. Best hope for all involved is some team thinks they can work with his footwork and defense reading and turn him into a good QB and we get something like a 2nd or 3rd for  him. Even if MW stinks it up remainder of the year, the Jets need to move on from ZW and go after a veteran QB. This fan base does not have the patience to develop a QB. The only way it works is if the QB plays really well right out of the gate, anything short of that and it won't work here

• Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Yeah, I don’t think they’d go the public-whining route like Moore did, but doing it quietly via the agent negotiating the landing spot and the framework of the compensation.

But he is a 2nd year guy that looks like a flop right now, no one would want unless it is on the real real cheap and no way douglas packs it in on this guy after two years unless he gets value.  The other part is wilsons image it is already dicey the way he handled things after the NE loss,asking for a trade now would just be stupid by him and his agent.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Flea Flicking Frank said:

I personally believe ZW could be a good player in the league someday, but its not happening here. Once this fan base turns on a player, it ain't happening. The media and the fan base will be absolutely brutal and its virtually impossible to play in that atmosphere. Best hope for all involved is some team thinks they can work with his footwork and defense reading and turn him into a good QB and we get something like a 2nd or 3rd for  him. Even if MW stinks it up remainder of the year, the Jets need to move on from ZW and go after a veteran QB. This fan base does not have the patience to develop a QB. The only way it works is if the QB plays really well right out of the gate, anything short of that and it won't work here

FWIW, every reporter who’s stepped foot in that locker room the past few weeks has come away from it intimating that Zach Wilson is probably done as a Jet. 

3 hours ago, bonkertons said:

Based on what I heard we’d have to wait til after June to trade him to avoid a monumental amount of dead cap. After that though, maybe you get a 2nd if a team really believes he can be the guy and they know how to fix him. Other than that maybe a 3rd+. 

Jets have no reason to rush a Zach move unless having him in the locker room is a liability. I think they end up holding onto him for another season no matter how things play out. 

This is accurate, a trade before June 1st would hit us for $20m vs the $9m he's slated to hit us. This is because the dead cap hit would immediately hit this season (if traded prior) vs having the dead cap hit 2023 and 2024.

Here's how I think it could play out:

- White gets retained for modest money before FA starts

- Jets pull the trigger on 3rd round rookie QB to groom.

- Allow Zach to rebuild his trade value in preseason, similar to what we did with Teddy. 

At this point you make the critical decision

1) Trade Zach - Zach will have a better value than now. Hope for an injury to another QB in the league, and the team trading for him will have a trial year before needing to decide on his 5th year option

2) Zach looks like he is improving to the point where the team is encouraged but they don't want to start him yet.

Plan A - White is QB1

Plan B (outside the box) -  Make a trade for Rodgers using your Saleh/Lafleur connection. Packers COULD move on from him after June 1st, like the Jets with Zach. Now you allow Zach to sit behind his idol all season, give your team one of the best QBs of all time, while having White to step in if injury happens. 

Too many moving pieces to determine right now but it's interesting to think about.

3 hours ago, Wit said:

Lets say Mike White does well enough to get this team to play offs and maybe wins a game. 

Zach demands a trade.

Jets get a "highish" first rounder. (Why? Because he may still have more value to teams vs. the QB's coming out this year)

Do you draft a QB high/ trade up for another QB? - We can still roll with White and develop someone. 

90 Day Fiance Parents GIF by TLC

20 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

FWIW, every reporter who’s stepped foot in that locker room the past few weeks has come away from it intimating that Zach Wilson is probably done as a Jet. 

I don't see any way he isnt done here. The fan base wants to move on from him, they are very clear and very vocal. Most didnt like him when he was drafted, and even Darnold who many did like when he was drafted, hated him within a few starts. Its time to move on from ZW. I personally think its a shame and complete waste of resources, but it is what it is

• Upvote 1

37 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

But he is a 2nd year guy that looks like a flop right now, no one would want unless it is on the real real cheap and no way douglas packs it in on this guy after two years unless he gets value.  The other part is wilsons image it is already dicey the way he handled things after the NE loss,asking for a trade now would just be stupid by him and his agent.

Ill be the first to admit I was shocked with what we got for Darnold, I thought no way we got more than a 4th and we got a 2nd, so who the heck knows, at this point a third would be fantastic

• Upvote 2

26 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

This is all predicated on white continuing to play at a league-average starter level, which likely results in a playoff berth and a bunch of Douglas acquisitions looking like hits. In that scenario, Zach is a dead man walking here anyway. His value around the league is TBD, obviously, but I think teams would rather try their luck with Zach Wilson for two years at $5 mil per than give Will Levis $30 mil guaranteed.

• Upvote 2

assuming MW is good this year and the locker room really does not like Zach i think you have to move him. plus as long as he is here there will always be some sort of pressure not on MW but on this CS to give Zach one more chance even if MW is playing well.

Zach has no trade value. its 2 years in a row he has forgotten how to throw screen passes. bad mechanics , chicken dances, thats a lot of work. its different with Sam as the biggest knock was he had bad coaching and no weapons. if Hall didnt get injured we might have a tie for OROY. and sorry to all you MLF haters out there but this offense has over 800 yds in 2 games without Zach. coaching is not his problem. besides the fact that you had to bring his personal QB coach in last year to help him as he is still a mess. 

lets assume MW or someone else in QB1 next year and Zach doesnt see the field. well now even though he has no value is the best time to trade him. his new team would get to see him next year. Before they have to make a decision to extend him a 5th year. remember Sam was traded after year 3 and Carolina had to make that decision before he even played a snap? i dont know if any team will want to do that again. 

last point. when we traded Sam we were a joke. remember everyone saying Sam was bad cause of the Jets. we never do anything right? think anyone still thinks were a joke now? maybe this time they will take our word for it when we bench or trade a player.

• Upvote 2

If Zach demanded a trade... it means we've either signed an expensive vet (a Carr/Jimmy G type of financial outlay) or we drafted another rookie in the first two rounds. In either scenario, we are essentially saying Zach isn't the future. 

If we're rolling into next year with either White (on a cheapish deal) or a Minshew, Zach will likes his chances of becoming the starter. 

People can argue that he still has no chance of becoming the starter in such a scenario, because he sucks, but that's besides the point. Zach himself will think he does, so he's not demanding a trade. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

Additionally, adding extra layers of flavors to this sh*t burger situation…the players are promoting and advocating FOR Mike White.

It’s not just Zack sucks and we’re a bunch of prima donna WRs…we LOVE Mike White and will follow his limited arm into battle over the superior arm and inferior intellect of Zack Wilson.

It’s rare to it THIS blatant and I think Saleh/MLF are getting a kick out of it to be honest. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Flea Flicking Frank said:

I don't think that is all together true about the fan base and qbs. The problem is we have had to high pick busts in a row and Zach is scary  bad right now and had lost the locker room. 

• Upvote 2

51 minutes ago, Adoni Beast said:

Additionally, adding extra layers of flavors to this sh*t burger situation…the players are promoting and advocating FOR Mike White.

It’s not just Zack sucks and we’re a bunch of prima donna WRs…we LOVE Mike White and will follow his limited arm into battle over the superior arm and inferior intellect of Zack Wilson.

It’s rare to it THIS blatant and I think Saleh/MLF are getting a kick out of it to be honest. 

Rosenblatt (The Athletic) had a sad footnote on his most recent podcast. When Elijah Moore and Michael Carter were acting as reporters in the press scrum around Mike White’s locker and everyone was yucking it up, Zach Wilson was sitting alone in his locker staring at his phone. I know the dude has $30 million in the bank and is set for life at the age of 23, but that sh*t still has to sting. I’d be begging Douglas to put me on IR so I could fly out to LA and hang with John Beck for the rest of the season. 

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, Wit said:

Lets say Mike White does well enough to get this team to play offs and maybe wins a game. 

Zach demands a trade.

Jets get a "highish" first rounder. (Why? Because he may still have more value to teams vs. the QB's coming out this year)

Do you draft a QB high/ trade up for another QB? - We can still roll with White and develop someone. 

1st round pick…

200.gif

5 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Under no circumstances do I have any interest in drafting another QB prospect in Rd 1 again any time soon. 

Regardless of what compensation we could get back in a trade for Wilson, it's time to go with the vet option, whether that's White or not.

I hope you realize I’m not trying to be a smart Alec or play gotcha when I ask this…. I’m genuinely curious.

Weren’t you always of the opinion that a team should keep drafting QBs in the first round until they found their guy, or am I thinking of someone else?

BTW if you were, and you’ve changed your view after the Darnold and Wilson debacles, I totally understand. I was always one who thought I’d keep picking until I found one, and I’m beginning to waver, but I’m  not there yet. I think I’d keep trying.

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Rosenblatt (The Athletic) had a sad footnote on his most recent podcast. When Elijah Moore and Michael Carter were acting as reporters in the press scrum around Mike White’s locker and everyone was yucking it up, Zach Wilson was sitting alone in his locker staring at his phone. I know the dude has $30 million in the bank and is set for life at the age of 23, but that sh*t still has to sting. I’d be begging Douglas to put me on IR so I could fly out to LA and hang with John Beck for the rest of the season. 

I read that as well. I don’t think its a small thing to be ignored. 

Public setting - Reporters swarming and that’s how you act? He’s mentally checked out which is beyond alarming.

I’m not sure he can recover his career here at this point…The players HATE him. The media HATES him…the coaching staff is OVER him.

That kind of petulant child mentality though has him on the ezpass lane to The JaMarcus Russell Expressway.

• Upvote 2

25 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

if Mike White beats the Bills in Buffalo tomorrow there is no need for Zach to be here this year, send him home and let him work with Beck everyday. it would be better than what he is getting at flight school every day.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Green Ghost said:

I hope you realize I’m not trying to be a smart Alec or play gotcha when I ask this…. I’m genuinely curious.

Weren’t you always of the opinion that a team should keep drafting QBs in the first round until they found their guy, or am I thinking of someone else?

BTW if you were, and you’ve changed your view after the Darnold and Wilson debacles, I totally understand. I was always one who thought I’d keep picking until I found one, and I’m beginning to waver, but I’m  not there yet. I think I’d keep trying.

problem with that right now is were a win now team. to use a 1st or 2nd pick that could help us in other areas that could put us over the top. either White or a FA who doesnt have to be great but just avg could get us a ring. plus somewhere down the line there will be pressure to play that pick to see what he is. and these next couple of years we cant afford to play that game.

im not comparing White to Rodgers but it would be as bad as when GB drafted Love while Rodgers needed help to win now.

1 hour ago, doitny said:

problem with that right now is were a win now team. to use a 1st or 2nd pick that could help us in other areas that could put us over the top. either White or a FA who doesnt have to be great but just avg could get us a ring. plus somewhere down the line there will be pressure to play that pick to see what he is. and these next couple of years we cant afford to play that game.

im not comparing White to Rodgers but it would be as bad as when GB drafted Love while Rodgers needed help to win now.

Yeah, I get that, I was just wondering about whether @Jetsfan80 always felt the way he does now, or recent “events” have made him change his mind.

I’m probably mistaken, but I thought he had a different view a while back?

• Upvote 2