General Draft/Prospect news

Paradis

25 minutes ago, Lith said:

The Eagles might have a lot of really nice options at 10. But a guy like Bijan Robinson might be tough to pass on. They lost Sanders to FA. Why trade for Henry if you can get a guy like Robinson locked up for 4 or 5 seasons on a rookie contract. And he will be able to contribute immediately on a win now team.

I normally would not advocate for a RB that high but for Philly it might make sense.

I also think Robinson works better in their system then Henry does.   Henry is great, I'm not debating that, but from what I've read, Robinson has better speed, can run pass routes, and would be great in their RPO.

And, like you said, he'd be on a rookie contract, as compared to a 28 year old running back who has led the league in carries 3 times in the last 4 year.

19 minutes ago, Zachtomims47 said:

So that's now Cimini, Peter King and Jeremiah(who btw, mocked Jones over Paris) all pick Jones for the Jets. Where there's smoke....

This seems like the most likely pick. It is a big swing, IMO. But if they think the situation with Brown is a good one for Jones, it's maybe a planned bet on upside.

That said, most everyone thought Ekwonu last year right?

Also with picks presumably going to the Packers, they could move out. Would be kind of funny if they've got something on the table for New Orleans, who say they want JSN (had him in for a visit), and they're pushing the OT not JSN narrative to make it more likely JSN slips to 13.

16 minutes ago, derp said:

This seems like the most likely pick. It is a big swing, IMO. But if they think the situation with Brown is a good one for Jones, it's maybe a planned bet on upside.

Also with picks presumably going to the Packers, they could move out. Would be kind of funny if they've got something on the table for New Orleans, who say they want JSN (had him in for a visit), and they're pushing the OT not JSN narrative to make it more likely JSN slips to 13.

Hm. Did they? I think that was more of an debate with Jet fans then it was with the media. Lot of mocks had Sauce there. 

2 hours ago, T0mShane said:

This might change the calculus a little bit.

My thought on Skoronski at 13 was that the Jets can take him and play him at RT year one. Next year they can rid themselves of Tomlinson and move Skoronski to LG and then they could draft a new tackle on a cheap deal or take their cap space and invest it in a vet. 

• Upvote 2

50 minutes ago, Zachtomims47 said:

Hm. Did they? I think that was more of an debate with Jet fans then it was with the media. Lot of mocks had Sauce there. 

Media was all Ekwonu. Granted it was Hughes and everyone else got in line.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Lith said:

The Eagles might have a lot of really nice options at 10. But a guy like Bijan Robinson might be tough to pass on. They lost Sanders to FA. Why trade for Henry if you can get a guy like Robinson locked up for 4 or 5 seasons on a rookie contract. And he will be able to contribute immediately on a win now team.

I normally would not advocate for a RB that high but for Philly it might make sense.

Agreed, Eagles could go a few ways. Robinson would be a great option also. Plus, they have the  2nd first rounder as well.?

Tony Pauline @TonyPauline

Syracuse running back Sean Tucker worked out today for the NY Jets, NY Giants, Bills and Cardinals.  Vertical jump was 39 inches and 29 reps on the bench.  No forty as he hasn't done much running past 6 weeks.  Looked very quick in drills and caught the ball extremely well

According to Bob McGinn, Syracuse’s Sean Tucker is reportedly dealing with a heart issue discovered during the NFL Scouting Combine.

“Because of an ongoing heart issue that was revealed at the combine, his football future is in jeopardy. ‘This sounds like it’s not going away,’ said one team executive. ‘Essentially, he could be done.”

2 minutes ago, C Mart said:

Tony Pauline @TonyPauline

Syracuse running back Sean Tucker worked out today for the NY Jets, NY Giants, Bills and Cardinals.  Vertical jump was 39 inches and 29 reps on the bench.  No forty as he hasn't done much running past 6 weeks.  Looked very quick in drills and caught the ball extremely well

Always in on explosive RB's.

On 4/19/2023 at 12:29 PM, C Mart said:

KC trades up to 13?

Adam Schefter @AdamSchefter
Boston College WR Zay Flowers - Mel Kiper’s No. 10 overall prospect - is in Texas today to workout with Chiefs’ QB Patrick Mahomes at the request of the team, per source. Flowers believed his pre-draft process was over after visiting the Titans on Tuesday…until the Chiefs called and asked him to meet up today with Mahomes.

Draft buzz (per @AlbertBreer)

The Chiefs have already been calling about trading up. Two targets they’ve been connected to are WR Zay Flowers and RB Jahmyr Gibbs.  If they stay put, two names to watch are DT Mazi Smith and WR Jalin Hyatt

Tony Pauline

@TonyPauline Replying to @ReidOptionKC and @AlbertBreer

Quentin Johnston

Just now, T0mShane said:

Cost me $50, that bastard

It was tough, because he was so good with free agency stuff. Really clever way to misdirect. Feed the free agency info and throw off the draft stuff. Just didn't add up for me.

At least he got everybody lathered up enough that we were able to have enough debates to get some money headed to a good cause.

• Haha 1

32 minutes ago, derp said:

It was tough, because he was so good with free agency stuff. Really clever way to misdirect. Feed the free agency info and throw off the draft stuff. Just didn't add up for me.

At least he got everybody lathered up enough that we were able to have enough debates to get some money headed to a good cause.

Lol I do remember that now. Hughes being totally fooled, that was fantastic. 

5 hours ago, derp said:

I have heard Ekwonu was their #2, but Sauce fell, which they didn't expect, so they took him.

14 minutes ago, chirorob said:

I have heard Ekwonu was their #2, but Sauce fell, which they didn't expect, so they took him.

I don't think it was a huge surprise that Sauce fell to #4, and most beat writer reporting was still that they'd take Ekwonu over Sauce at that spot if both were there, which was really what I was getting at.

Same thing applies this year, right? Maybe they have Smith, Van Ness, JSN, whoever over someone like Broderick Jones - even if Jones is high enough on their board to take at 13 and the most likely tackle to be there.

• Upvote 1

43 minutes ago, derp said:

I don't think it was a huge surprise that Sauce fell to #4, and most beat writer reporting was still that they'd take Ekwonu over Sauce at that spot if both were there, which was really what I was getting at.

Same thing applies this year, right? Maybe they have Smith, Van Ness, JSN, whoever over someone like Broderick Jones - even if Jones is high enough on their board to take at 13 and the most likely tackle to be there.

Agree, most beat reporters get fooled.

I think it was some surprise that Sauce wasn't the 1st corner taken.

3 minutes ago, chirorob said:

Agree, most beat reporters get fooled.

I think it was some surprise that Sauce wasn't the 1st corner taken.

I think a slight surprise Sauce wasn't the first corner, though by the time the draft rolled around there was a whole lot of Stingley to the Texans buzz and that pick wasn't a surprise. By the time it was draft day I think the expectation was that Sauce and Ekwonu would both be on the board at #4.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Zachtomims47 said:

So that's now Cimini, Peter King and Jeremiah(who btw, mocked Jones over Paris) all pick Jones for the Jets. Where there's smoke....

Where there's smoke there's... smoke.

At least the Jets back channels of leaks seem to be consistent. ? 

Does anyone know what Cimini, King and Jeremiah were saying about the Jets a few days prior to the Draft last year?  If I recall correctly the Jets were taking an Edge rusher at either #4 or #10.  Didn't happen.  They were also heavily rumored on Ekwonu or Cross.  Didn't happen.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, jetstream23 said:

Where there's smoke there's... smoke.

At least the Jets back channels of leaks seem to be consistent. ? 

Does anyone know what Cimini, King and Jeremiah were saying about the Jets a few days prior to the Draft last year?  If I recall correctly the Jets were taking an Edge rusher at either #4 or #10.  Didn't happen.  They were also heavily rumored on Ekwonu or Cross.  Didn't happen.

Cimini nailed the Sauce pick the week of the draft. I would bet this year, they use him to throw out disinformation like the did with Connor Hughes last year.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, derp said:

What's the goal with 13, Joe?

I wrote out a long post with reasoning but then a client called me and then Rodgers trade happened.

My conclusion was gonna be that this is the year you see trade backs from JD. I don’t think he’s done. The quality of player at 13 was worth less to JD than giving up Corey Davis.

• Upvote 1

Quick look at who should be competitive for the roster pre-draft:

QB: Rodgers, Wilson, Boyle (3)

Wouldn't be mad if they fired on someone but feels like this is one where they carry these three or roll with Boyle on the PS and try to save a roster spot.

RB: Hall, Carter, Johnson, Knight, Bawden (5)

They could easily add someone to try to push Johnson/Knight or Bawden day three or just roll with this group.

WR: Wilson, Lazard, Davis, Hardman, Mims (5)

Three of these guys hit FA after this season and they could use a special teamer here too. Underrated as a draft target IMO.

TE: Conklin, Uzomah, Ruckert (3)

T: Brown, Becton, Mitchell (3) 

Have to assume they’ll draft one somewhere.

G: Tomlinson, AVT, Schweitzer, Colon (4)

Two decent backups who can swing to center. Probably the best iOL depth they’ve had in a while. Not much to do here, though Tomlinson could be done after the season.

C : McGovern (1)

Both the backup guards can play here so they could leave it but they could also draft someone to take over. Given recent history my guess is they leave it.

Special teams: Zuerlein, Morstead, Hennessy (3)

Nothing to see here.

DE: Lawson, JFM, Johnson, Clemons, Huff (5)

Think they rolled with 6 last year and Lawson and Huff expire. Bigger long term need than it gets credit for, IMO. Could easily get addressed early.

DT: Williams, Jefferson, Thomas (3)

Maybe Smart fits in here and the veteran market isn’t done but seems like a reasonable target position.

LB: Mosley, Clemons, Sherwood (3)

Maybe Nasirildeen fits in here and the veteran market isn’t done but seems like a reasonable target position.

CB: Gardner, Reed, Carter, Echols, Hall, Hardee (6)

Let’s run it back.

S: Whitehead, Clark, Adams, Davis (4)

Odd group. Parks could fit in too. Could see them adding someone or leaving it alone.

That gets to a nice clean 48, and with five draft picks you get to 53.

My guess purely off the roster would be first pick is best OT/DE/WR, second pick is likely an OT if they passed and best DE/DT/WR if not, and they fill out the two that didn’t get addressed of DE/DT/WR and LB day three. Maybe they sneak in S, RB, TE, or developmental C if they love somebody and focus on the veteran market - especially at DT/LB.

1 hour ago, derp said:

Quick look at who should be competitive for the roster pre-draft:

QB: Rodgers, Wilson, Boyle (3)

Wouldn't be mad if they fired on someone but feels like this is one where they carry these three or roll with Boyle on the PS and try to save a roster spot.

RB: Hall, Carter, Johnson, Knight, Bawden (5)

They could easily add someone to try to push Johnson/Knight or Bawden day three or just roll with this group.

WR: Wilson, Lazard, Davis, Hardman, Mims (5)

Three of these guys hit FA after this season and they could use a special teamer here too. Underrated as a draft target IMO.

TE: Conklin, Uzomah, Ruckert (3)

T: Brown, Becton, Mitchell (3) 

Have to assume they’ll draft one somewhere.

G: Tomlinson, AVT, Schweitzer, Colon (4)

Two decent backups who can swing to center. Probably the best iOL depth they’ve had in a while. Not much to do here, though Tomlinson could be done after the season.

C : McGovern (1)

Both the backup guards can play here so they could leave it but they could also draft someone to take over. Given recent history my guess is they leave it.

Special teams: Zuerlein, Morstead, Hennessy (3)

Nothing to see here.

DE: Lawson, JFM, Johnson, Clemons, Huff (5)

Think they rolled with 6 last year and Lawson and Huff expire. Bigger long term need than it gets credit for, IMO. Could easily get addressed early.

DT: Williams, Jefferson, Thomas (3)

Maybe Smart fits in here and the veteran market isn’t done but seems like a reasonable target position.

LB: Mosley, Clemons, Sherwood (3)

Maybe Nasirildeen fits in here and the veteran market isn’t done but seems like a reasonable target position.

CB: Gardner, Reed, Carter, Echols, Hall, Hardee (6)

Let’s run it back.

S: Whitehead, Clark, Adams, Davis (4)

Odd group. Parks could fit in too. Could see them adding someone or leaving it alone.

That gets to a nice clean 48, and with five draft picks you get to 53.

My guess purely off the roster would be first pick is best OT/DE/WR, second pick is likely an OT if they passed and best DE/DT/WR if not, and they fill out the two that didn’t get addressed of DE/DT/WR and LB day three. Maybe they sneak in S, RB, TE, or developmental C if they love somebody and focus on the veteran market - especially at DT/LB.

Brett Neilon slides in nice as the backup C who can’t really play this year. Snag him with 170 and be happy about it.

1 hour ago, kdels62 said:

Brett Neilon slides in nice as the backup C who can’t really play this year. Snag him with 170 and be happy about it.

Could also be a priority UDFA if they want to be aggressive there.

I’d love to see a couple more picks this year and/or more next year. 

Need to dig into the mid round WR’s. Looks like five guys right now and none play specials. Feels like a spot for a draft pick.

4 minutes ago, derp said:

Need to dig into the mid round WR’s. Looks like five guys right now and none play specials. Feels like a spot for a draft pick.

I would think Hardman will see some time on specials.  Has not had many ST snaps the last two seasons, but he was a great return man at Georgia and I could see him returning punts for us

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Lith said:

I would think Hardman will see some time on specials.  Has not had many ST snaps the last two seasons, but he was a great return man at Georgia and I could see him returning punts for us

Good point. I’m thinking more gunners, kick coverage stuff - but he could certainly add value there.

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, derp said:

Good point. I’m thinking more gunners, kick coverage stuff - but he could certainly add value there.

Pretty sure he was a gunner at Georgia.  Not sure if KC used him that way.  But the need for ST help would not bode well for Mims making the roster.  Hard to keep a 5th WR who does not contribute on specials.

18 minutes ago, Lith said:

Pretty sure he was a gunner at Georgia.  Not sure if KC used him that way.  But the need for ST help would not bode well for Mims making the roster.  Hard to keep a 5th WR who does not contribute on specials.

Yup, would make sense. He just didn’t do it really in KC last year (ten snaps).

Would be tough for Mims for sure. That’s kind of just what he’s been though. He was fifth in snaps at WR last year. Do wonder if this new system fits him better.

Think him potentially needing to fight for a spot just points to WR in the draft even more. Basically thinking they got that from Jeff Smith last year and he’s gone and hasn’t been replaced.

Trey Palmer, maybe. Let him develop and play on specials this year and then best case you feel good about him in 3WR sets as a field stretcher his second year. Someone like that.

8 minutes ago, IntoTheGreen said:

Didn't Mims play STs last year? I think he's willing, but spots will be limited and competitive.

Three snaps per Pro Football Reference.

Smith actually didn’t play many either. Berrios obviously a decent chunk. Looks like the DB’s did some heavy lifting.

• Upvote 1

It will be interesting to see how the OTs shake out after our trade down from 13 to 15

Douglas needs to pull some magic out of this draft because we for SURE still have holes that need to be filled.

I do not like the athletic ability of our LBS.

We have no safeties that can get takeaways.

We for sure need to get another olineman.