General Draft/Prospect news

Paradis

2 minutes ago, maury77 said:

I'd be tempted to pick Richardson if the draft fell that way and let him sit and develop for 2 years behind AR. 

I imagine Rodgers would spontaneously combust. I did joke about the Jets taking Richardson and using him in Wildcat packages to get Rodgers' snap count under 65% though.

2 minutes ago, maury77 said:

Very true, but I'd like to see Douglas somehow recoup the number 1 pick the team is likely to lose in 2024. 

I'm with you, just wouldn't be adding much this year.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

28 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Breers mock released today has all of the tackles off the board and the Jets taking JSN.

A few things:

1. If the top 14 did fall this way, I would think the Jets would engage the Giants, who have been vetting prices to move up for some time now. Not sure who they would move up for, but I would think the top WR in the draft or best CB available (to hop WAS, who is very much expected to take a CB) would be the reasons why. 
  2. My sense is a lot of the Jets + JSN talk has a lot more to do with casting some doubt for teams like the Giants who may want him to fall further so they can move up for less. There are some agents who say if he makes it out of the top 15 he's probably going 21-23. 
  3. If they did execute a trade to move down: Calijah Kancey, Keion White, Myles Murphy, BJ Ojulari, Will McDonald IV, Joe Tippmann would be the likely targets. I don't know how they rank them but all names that have been mentioned as high 2nd round picks for them (only 14 1st round picks on their draft board)
  4. If they found non takers to trade down, I'd wager hard the Jets would take Nolan Smith > JSN

22 minutes ago, football guy said:

A few things:

1. If the top 14 did fall this way, I would think the Jets would engage the Giants, who have been vetting prices to move up for some time now. Not sure who they would move up for, but I would think the top WR in the draft or best CB available (to hop WAS, who is very much expected to take a CB) would be the reasons why. 
  2. My sense is a lot of the Jets + JSN talk has a lot more to do with casting some doubt for teams like the Giants who may want him to fall further so they can move up for less. There are some agents who say if he makes it out of the top 15 he's probably going 21-23. 
  3. If they did execute a trade to move down: Calijah Kancey, Keion White, Myles Murphy, BJ Ojulari, Will McDonald IV, Joe Tippmann would be the likely targets. I don't know how they rank them but all names that have been mentioned as high 2nd round picks for them (only 14 1st round picks on their draft board)
  4. If they found non takers to trade down, I'd wager hard the Jets would take Nolan Smith > JSN

What do you estimate the odds are that the jets trade out of 15?

if they did trade back, would that be b/c all the tackles are gone?

if they went D in round 1 after a trade back, would they then be motivated to trade up for a center?

1 hour ago, football guy said:

A few things:

I would not like that. I just think he's too small for what the team looks for in its defensive ends. 

2 hours ago, football guy said:

A few things:

The Giants and Daboll trading up for Anthony Richardson would be so sweet.

It's hard to find character stuff for everyone, and I don't know how reliable the stuff that's out there is anyway, but after last year's class was such a hit I'd think they'd just want to be locked in on a guy who takes the game seriously.

Smith they'd need to do something funky to get on the field. Maybe they do, but strikes me as a leap. I imagine they'd love the athleticism and personality. Layer in the injury history and I'd be surprised. Big swing in a different way from the OL. Higher floor I guess if he stays healthy, should at least be useful in some capacity.

This just strikes me as a time that they'd just want to take someone who's kind of boring and high character at a premium spot with some reason to believe they've got upside and just roll with it. Think Paris Johnson, JSN, maybe Myles Murphy fit. Skoronski is everything but position. The injury and production stuff are flags for Smith. Ojulari I think makes sense in the second round - probably the most bubble guy there and maybe the first, White is similar there. Bergeron second round. Mauch maybe.

I think if you start with the guys who haven't had questions about their football character (admittedly, the info that is out there could be wrong - this is just trying to guess with what we have access to publicly) and then narrow to the guys you think will be there, the guys who play premium positions, and the guys who have produced (granted, OL can't produce - but I think the non-production stuff narrows down the OL anyway) - it's a short list and JSN is on it. Think that's why he comes up more than just an incessant desire to add WR. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, football guy said:

A few things:

Nolan really? Nolan Smith tape is not great... But with this CS he has the potential do develop into a Hassan Reddick type.

19 minutes ago, football guy said:

From an agent: 

1. CAR: QB Young
2. HOU: QB Levis 
4. IND: QB Richardson

... where the hell would Stroud go? Vegas, Atlanta, Tennessee?

Maybe Tennessee, Vrabel connection. Levis kind of feels like Houston posturing because they know he's Indy's guy...although I don't really know what difference that would make at the end of the day. Would be such an off the wall pick. So many Houston rumors and the one that they gave Anderson a really high grade is the one that sounds the most realistic, but they've also done goofy stuff in the past.

They're beautifully positioned to just punt this season and have a really high pick in next year's class.

EDIT: I see McClain said Levis.

17 minutes ago, football guy said:

From an agent: 

I can't believe Levis is rated this high by a team that will have fans clamoring for him to start right away.  Both Levis and Anderson are "sit a year" prospects because they need massive adjustments in their arsenal.  Levis has a strong arm, but I'm just not seeing the consistent deep ball placement, nor do I think he's very good with his progressions.  I like Richardson better, but his footwork needs to be tweaked considerably to unlock his potential.  

I actually think Tennessee is a good spot for one of Levis/Richardson provided they don't trade Henry/Tannehill.  You can learn from a veteran, while having a very good RB.  They would need to add one more receiver to Burks, but it's a rebuild.  That defense should be better this year, and would allow them to slowly bring on the QB.  I think that was the plan last year with Willis, but he just can't seem to throw all that well.  

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, win4ever said:

I can't believe Levis is rated this high by a team that will have fans clamoring for him to start right away.  Both Levis and Anderson are "sit a year" prospects because they need massive adjustments in their arsenal.  Levis has a strong arm, but I'm just not seeing the consistent deep ball placement, nor do I think he's very good with his progressions.  I like Richardson better, but his footwork needs to be tweaked considerably to unlock his potential.  

I actually think Tennessee is a good spot for one of Levis/Richardson provided they don't trade Henry/Tannehill.  You can learn from a veteran, while having a very good RB.  They would need to add one more receiver to Burks, but it's a rebuild.  That defense should be better this year, and would allow them to slowly bring on the QB.  I think that was the plan last year with Willis, but he just can't seem to throw all that well.  

This seems like the info to leak if you want the colts to trade up to 2.  

4 hours ago, football guy said:

A few things:

If the jets take Nolan Smith period I will be utterly enraged, if they took him over jsn I'd have to buy a new tv after smashing mine.

Nolan Smith would be basically the worst possible pick for this team for a number of reasons.

"I'm a football player. ... I'm not an S2 taker," Stroud said on Wednesday after the youth football clinic concluded at a local high school. "But shout out to S2, man, they probably have a good system, what they do, no diss to them. But I know who I am, and I know what I can do on that field. And I'll do that at the next level."     ?

1 hour ago, Beerfish said:

"I'm a football player. ... I'm not an S2 taker," Stroud said on Wednesday after the youth football clinic concluded at a local high school. "But shout out to S2, man, they probably have a good system, what they do, no diss to them. But I know who I am, and I know what I can do on that field. And I'll do that at the next level."     ?

This kind of attitude is exactly what worries teams just as much as the test results. I don't disagree with him, but he could've easily addressed this differently.

The Josh Rosen comp is starting to make a lot more sense 

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Beerfish said:

If the jets take Nolan Smith period I will be utterly enraged, if they took him over jsn I'd have to buy a new tv after smashing mine.

Nolan Smith would be basically the worst possible pick for this team for a number of reasons.

I would take Keion White ten times to Sunday over Nolan Smith.

3 hours ago, football guy said:

From an agent: 

We need 4 QBs and 2 corners in front of us and I think we’re good. If stroud starts to drop someone will go up and get him 

brendan Donahue;

1PanthersBryce Young

2TexansC.J. Stroud

3TitansAnthony Richardson

4ColtsWill Levis

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, section314 said:

I think they would have Johnson and Wright at the top of the OT board. If both gone, and they can’t trade down, you think they could go Kincaid or CB? 

I would prefer the DT from Clemson or Van Ness if available. CB would be a waste due to sitting on bench. TE might be a reach

34 minutes ago, Larz said:

We need 4 QBs and 2 corners in front of us and I think we’re good. If stroud starts to drop someone will go up and get him 

brendan Donahue;

1PanthersBryce Young

2TexansC.J. Stroud

3TitansAnthony Richardson

4ColtsWill Levis

FWIW I don’t buy this to happen, just what a pretty reputable agent thinks. If it does happen it helps us out tremendously 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, football guy said:

FWIW I don’t buy this to happen, just what a pretty reputable agent thinks. If it does happen it helps us out tremendously 

Apparently strouds agent is Watsons agent and has real bad blood with the Texans, but I don’t think he gets past 3. If the Texans don’t take him take a bathroom break because there’s probably a trade at 3. 

12 minutes ago, Larz said:

Apparently strouds agent is Watsons agent and has real bad blood with the Texans, but I don’t think he gets past 3. If the Texans don’t take him take a bathroom break because there’s probably a trade at 3. 

I think the Titans going to three makes sense. They don't know what Indianapolis wants to do, need a long-term answer at QB, and Vrabel has heavy OSU ties. Arizona needs to move down too.

Maybe 11, 41, and Tennessee's 2024 first round pick is enough - probably that plus or minus a little.

• Upvote 1

55 minutes ago, section314 said:

Rather Steve Avila. Versatility.

Avila can play 3 spots. Torrence can play 4. I also think Torrence is better than Avila. And that’s not me not liking Avila, bc I’d be happy if we drafted him. Just think Torrence is better

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, football guy said:

A few things:

We just traded for Rodgers. Even if it is just because of GB drafting history I think it would be really surprising to me to flat out go defense. I just can't see them passing JSN if he is there at 14.