General Draft/Prospect news

Paradis

I gotta say, I'm a bit surprised Corey Davis is on the team.  I thought he'd be someone the Packers would want to add to the roster for a younger QB.  I wonder if there are some other deals out there with Davis involved.  

I would love Jayden Reed/Tank Dell on the team, as they can fill in on STs, and provide deep field value.  I'm not sure we would be picking a WR though, feel like with the limited picks, we might be plugging holes.  

This also brings up an interesting concept for me, about OL picks.  With a veteran like Rodgers at QB, setting protections and calling alerts, do you swing for the fences with upside because the mental work is aided by a great QB?  Or do you go with the more technically sound guy, even if the upside isn't great, because your window is too small?

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, win4ever said:

I gotta say, I'm a bit surprised Corey Davis is on the team.  I thought he'd be someone the Packers would want to add to the roster for a younger QB.  I wonder if there are some other deals out there with Davis involved.  

I would love Jayden Reed/Tank Dell on the team, as they can fill in on STs, and provide deep field value.  I'm not sure we would be picking a WR though, feel like with the limited picks, we might be plugging holes.  

This also brings up an interesting concept for me, about OL picks.  With a veteran like Rodgers at QB, setting protections and calling alerts, do you swing for the fences with upside because the mental work is aided by a great QB?  Or do you go with the more technically sound guy, even if the upside isn't great, because your window is too small?

He was included in talks but the way I understood it he was essentially valued equally to the 116 pick, which packers weren’t budging on, and once OBJ was off the table the Jets valued Davis more. 

I think there’s still a chance he could get moved during the summer, but for now he and Mims will probably be competing for the same spot on the roster

4 minutes ago, football guy said:

He was included in talks but the way I understood it he was essentially valued equally to the 116 pick, which packers weren’t budging on, and once OBJ was off the table the Jets valued Davis more. 

I think there’s still a chance he could get moved during the summer, but for now he and Mims will probably be competing for the same spot on the roster

Yeah, I pretty much assumed he was gone the entire time.   I'm hoping some team takes a chance on him during the draft for some deal because I'm not sure he fits well with Lazard/Wilson already on the team.  Even the big slot concept would work better with Lazard.  

2 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Feldman talked to three QB coaches and—surprise—they like all of the QBs and think they could fix them all. Particularly glowing reviews of Anthony Richardson, but all three agree that it’s a time and scheme thing for him. 

One of the things I love during the draft season is when they bring in like some mercenary QB coach on talk shows to talk about the guys they are working with, like Jordan Palmer.  Oh the wax poetic "Wait till you see this guy, he worked his ass off, and just throwing lasers out there"..... then throw in some BS about random programs they have the QBs do like a BS life coach.   All of them hyping up their guy like the next Brady.  It's like the reality tv version of Sports Science, which just hyped everyone as well.  Mechi Becton scored in our 98th percentile (similar to Orlando Pace) in holding in farts after eating Taco Bell, showcasing incredible body control under pressure......pressure he'll face as a top tier OT in the NFL!

• Haha 3

7 hours ago, football guy said:

Any word if the jets like Jordan Addison? 

10 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Feldman talked to three QB coaches and—surprise—they like all of the QBs and think they could fix them all. Particularly glowing reviews of Anthony Richardson, but all three agree that it’s a time and scheme thing for him. 

Was thinking about your comment yesterday that Mina Kimes and Orlovsky basically are no value added, idiots and ruin every show they are on. Article in NY Post today that Disney is cutting folks at ESPN, but not on air people they consider the “talent.” Thought you would find that disgustingly funny.?

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, section314 said:

Was thinking about your comment yesterday that Mina Kimes and Orlovsky basically are no value added, idiots and ruin every show they are on. Article in NY Post today that Disney is cutting folks at ESPN, but not on air people they consider the “talent.” Thought you would find that disgustingly funny.?

This picture is making the rounds through social media last night and today, and it’s perfect ESPN. It’s Kimes, Spears, Orlovsky orgasmically over-reacting because Schefter said 13 was part of the deal and Schefter imploring them to listen to his whole report before responding. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, T0mShane said:

This picture is making the rounds through social media last night and today, and it’s perfect ESPN. It’s Kimes, Spears, Orlovsky orgasmically over-reacting because Schefter said 13 was part of the deal and Schefter imploring them to listen to his whole report before responding. 

7780F767-6D0D-48EF-943B-953AFA6B08BC.jpeg

• Haha 3

12 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Any theories as to why Levis to the Panthers is spiking right now? 

Somebody probably made some bets and they don’t want to be overexposed, that was a big number.

At some point on a podcast I was listening to somebody speculated that Reich and Levis would click. So if it happens I’d guess that’s kind of the connection.

EDIT: accidentally stumbled upon this as I was trying to see if I could find something.

Whole thing is kind of silly too, if Levis is +500 to go #1 then the bet you’d want to make is Young +800 to go #2 since that’d be what happens and is much better odds.

The long odds are wild too, they’re just there because nobody’s bet on them. Random example but Darnell Wright was +2500 to go ninth a week or two ago and he’s +275 now.

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

I read somewhere, that in a reddit forum, allegedly, Levis was telling people that the panthers called and told him he’s their pick.  

"Morning Will! I just wanted to call and let you know we'll be taking you with the first pick, we're all real excited to have you. Oh and don't worry, feel free to everyone you know! Have a great weekend"

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Barton said:

Any word if the jets like Jordan Addison? 

They're always going to be in on playmakers, but haven't heard anything about him specifically. It sounds like its going to be a meat and potatoes draft and the only way they depart from it would be if a guy they really like - i.e. 1st round grade - were to fall to the 2nd round.  

The Jets absolutely have some flexibility at WR because Davis and Mims aren't locked into roster spots, but the staff/front office is bullish on the both of them. I think they would have to absolutely love a prospect in order to force their hand on some of these guys, and I'm not convinced they see anyone of that ilk in this class. 

• Upvote 2

11 minutes ago, football guy said:

They're always going to be in on playmakers, but haven't heard anything about him specifically. It sounds like its going to be a meat and potatoes draft and the only way they depart from it would be if a guy they really like - i.e. 1st round grade - were to fall to the 2nd round.  

The Jets absolutely have some flexibility at WR because Davis and Mims aren't locked into roster spots, but the staff/front office is bullish on the both of them. I think they would have to absolutely love a prospect in order to force their hand on some of these guys, and I'm not convinced they see anyone of that ilk in this class. 

Have they shown any interest in Steve AvilaG/C from TCU or Cody Mauch?

1 hour ago, section314 said:

Have they shown any interest in Steve AvilaG/C from TCU or Cody Mauch?

Attended both pro days and met with both extensively. I think they look at both as "figure it out" players who they can mold at several positions due to their versatility and athletic traits. Avila less of a projection at G whereas Mauch will need some more development 

• Upvote 1

Part of me would love to see us snatch up Kincaid or Mayer with our 1st.  Give Rodgers that kind of weapon to go along with Wilson and Breece.  You could still potentially add a starting OL in the 2nd.  You sacrifice the D a bit, instead of going OL in the 1st and then DT, LB, or FS in the 2nd.  Considering how good the defense was last year though, we might be able to get away with it.

I think my preference is still trade down from 15, recoup a 2nd this year and next, and walk away from the first two rounds with an OL, DT, and LB.  That said, damn it's tempting to add one of these stud TEs.  Unfortunately even if we wanted one of them, I don't see how we make it work with the current depth chart.  Uzomah and Conklin are locked in and we just spent a 3rd on Ruckert last year.  

• Upvote 1

Not sure if they’re actually tight, but Syracuse T/G Matthew Bergeron is Canadian and apparently his football idol is Laurent Duvernay-Tardif. Four year starter, freshman at RT and last three at LT.

He’d be an interesting one at 43 if they miss/pass on tackle at 15. Try him out at tackle for the year and have him either take over at LT next year or take Tomlinson’s spot if tackle doesn’t work out.

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, section314 said:

FWIW…. they were talking OT’s a few minutes ago on Movin the Chains and Kirwin said Paul Alexander, a very respected former OL coach for many years in the NFL thinks Paris Johnson is a Gold Jacket guy.?

Lots of rumors of Paris Johnson going at #3 to the Cardinals if they stay there. Could mean the OTs go a lot earlier before Jets even pick.

15 minutes ago, maury77 said:

I've never wanted the Jets to trade down as badly as I do this year. None of the prospects expected to be available at 13 excite me and the Jets are short on picks. 

It's tough, because it's even worse down farther than that.

13 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Breers mock released today has all of the tackles off the board and the Jets taking JSN.

Regarding Titans potentially taking Broderick Jones: "I think the Titans would be a little squeamish about taking a Georgia tackle with a few maturity/entitlement concerns, after what they went through with 2020 first-rounder Isaiah Wilson."

And the Patriots, who he has taking Jones: "There’s a little risk here, and they’d be projecting Jones’s growing up some, on and off the field, which gives me a little pause (the Patriots generally play it safe in the first round)."

Just one person's opinion, maybe somebody is pushing that to Breer because they want Jones to fall, but he's usually pretty well connected. For a team that's been all over guys who "love ball", if that stuff is accurate it'd be a bit of a funny pick.

• Upvote 1