Lamar trade talks back on the table?

Rhg1084

4 minutes ago, JiF4Lamar said:

He had the 2nd best odds to win MVP this season’s before the injury.  Lol 

yes that was after only one season ending injury. but now hes had 2 in a row and both injuries to the legs. his odds wont be as high this year. he has some series injury concerns. 

its too risky

51 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

The whole Lamar Jackson infatuation is like looking at 65 year old crack whore and only seeing the hot 18 year old chearleader she was when Reagan was President. Lamar is NOT and will never again ever be the MVP player he was.

Yeah IMO the MVP season was the outlier and he’s more what we’ve seen 2020 and beyond. It’s a hard pass for me. Especially if he wants more than Watson. Eventually I think he ends up playing on the tag.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, GangGreened said:

Yeah IMO the MVP season was the outlier and he’s more what we’ve seen 2020 and beyond. It’s a hard pass for me. Especially if he wants more than Watson. Eventually I think he ends up playing on the tag.

No doubt. No one is paying him that kind of money (Mahomes money) His playoff record sucks. He was injured the last 2 years. He's an injury waiting to happen.  No one willl sign him if they are forced to give up 2 #1's to the Ravens and the Ravens are not caving in to his demands. My guess is he 's tagged this year and next year and this ring around the rosy will happen again in 2024.   At that point, Ravens lower their trade price and get what they can instead of getting nothing for him.  

2 minutes ago, Maynard13 said:

No doubt. No one is paying him that kind of money (Mahomes money) His playoff record sucks. He was injured the last 2 years. He's an injury waiting to happen.  No one willl sign him if they are forced to give up 2 #1's to the Ravens and the Ravens are not caving in to his demands. My guess is he 's tagged this year and next year and this ring around the rosy will happen again in 2024.   At that point, Ravens lower their trade price and get what they can instead of getting nothing for him.  

He played himself.

On 2/23/2023 at 6:33 PM, Jetsfan80 said:

There are problems with any vet we bring in.  Rodgers is an old lunatic.  Carr isn't good enough.  Jimmy G can't stay healthy.  Ryan Tannehill is old and sucks.

Jackson checks the most boxes you can get out of a veteran option.  

I agree, but Jackson might cost the most as well as pose the most risk between the long term big money and trade package.

8 hours ago, JiF4Lamar said:

But this is where I disagree, the team, didnt do anything other than hire Roman to support Jackson.  I guess you could say they attempted to build around him via the draft but they've failed miserably.   That offense is pure and utter dog sh*t.  So while I understand this article questioning Roman's ability to beat certain coverages, etc.  I would ask, who's getting open on that team?  What RB can do anything other than push a pile?  It's one of the least talented rosters in the NFL on the offensive side yet, Lamar was having an MVP caliber season.  Again, 26 pts w/ Lamar, 16 pts w/out Lamar and they never scored over 17 pts when he was out.  That is such a significant drop of it's insane.  They went from a top 5 offense to the battling the Broncos for the worst offense (yay Hackett!) in the league.

So to your point, do I trust Hackett to figure it out?  No, not specifically but he's replaceable and wouldnt factor into my decision to get Lamar if the time is now to do it.  I definitely think he can figure out another offense though.  He was successful in Petrino's offense in college which is more spread oriented, went 6-1 after Flacco went 3-5 w/ Mornhinweg and then had an MVP season w/ Roman throwing to Hollywood Brown and Will Snead. 

Ok so, obviously if a path opens up to get Lamar the Jets should pursue it, but if they invest everything they’ll have to invest to get it done, they’re going to have to urgently formulate a very specific and coherent plan to maximize Lamar’s talents, because if they try to shoehorn him into some sh*t he hasn’t done at all, it could go sideways very quickly and everyone loses their jobs.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Jetsfan80 said:

I hear ya.  I'm not "all in" on Jackson.  I'd be very pleased with Rodgers.

I’m sold on Jackson’s style and would prefer to draft a QB on a rookie deal that supports a ball control run heavy offense and doesn’t need to be superhero traditional pocket passer. I DO NOT want Lamar Jackson due to payday and draft capital. It’s just bad business. 

7 hours ago, JiF4Lamar said:

He had the 2nd best odds to win MVP this season’s before the injury.  Lol  and he’s younger then Burrow 

If you truly looked at Lamar's results and could be objective over the last 2 years you would realize that 

1. He is a shadow of himself

2. His performance tails off as he plays more in the season

3. His body breaks down as the season progresses until he is hurt and cannot play

He is a rapidly declining player that will never again be what he was because his style is unsustainable. He had a great beginning of the season when he was healthy and then declined last year.

This is not even to mention that teams are getting better and better at defending him anyway. Investing in this guy would be the pinnacle of idiocy.

You clearly love his style of play. But he is basically done.

5 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Ok so, obviously if a path opens up to get Lamar the Jets should pursue it, but if they invest everything they’ll have to invest to get it done, they’re going to have to urgently formulate a very specific and coherent plan to maximize Lamar’s talents, because if they try to shoehorn him into some sh*t he hasn’t done at all, it could go sideways very quickly and everyone loses their jobs.

This is a big reason I don’t want Lamar (beside the draft capital, don’t care about the money you pay for QB play in this league). I have 0.0% confidence in the Jets to maximize Lamar. Rodgers would be fine without any coaching or OC at all at this point.

• Upvote 3

11 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Yards per Attempt doesn’t account for that?  

No, it shows he's been less effective QB .  It shows he hasn't done it as often.  He's either less risky, available less or less capable of being successful under more difficult circumstances.  Either way - throwing for 18,000 yards vs. 12,000 shows quite a difference and clearly shouldn't be overlooked.

While I don't think there's a chance he's free I would have no problem giving up 2 firsts + for Jackson but comparing him to Josh Allen right now is just silly.

1 minute ago, Dunnie said:

For all the Lamar guys ... Would Breece benefit from his arrival ? Or Garret ?

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

Ravens WR Brown wanted out due to be tired of having to block for LJ’s 11 rushes per game on top of RBs.  Breece should get 18-20 touches/gm (when fully healthy) & Wilson another 10. 

Since we avg. 60 offensive plays per game, that leaves around 20 touches for other players (TE, WR #2/3 and RB #2/3) 

‘20-‘22 Ravens avg. rushing attempts per game

34.6; 30.4; 31.2

I do not believe we are a QB from a Super Bowl contender, but if there is a true franchise difference maker available, it's a different story.  Lamar would make the Jets offense above average the day you acquire him.  The running game with him and Breece would scare most teams.  He may not be the best thrower but he would make a Garrett Wilson scary as hell, especially when he breaks contain-often.  Tight ends benefit in such cases too.

An average offense, conservative with Lamar, combined with our defense, could beat anybody.  There are still a half dozen more complete teams but the Jets would be a serious contender day 1.  The guy is 26.  This could be a recipe to 10 years of exciting football in the Jersey swamp.  If he's available , especially if the use the non-exclusive franchise tag, I would make every effort to get him.

If you wanted to trade up to select Bryce Young, you would be lucky to get any interest even if you offer our 1st and second this year and 1st rounder next year.  We saw with Zach that these guys are no guarantee.  Lamar is and he is only 26.

• Upvote 3
  • More Ugh 1

2 hours ago, Flashlite80 said:

I do not believe we are a QB from a Super Bowl contender, but if there is a true franchise difference maker available, it's a different story.  Lamar would make the Jets offense above average the day you acquire him.  The running game with him and Breece would scare most teams.  He may not be the best thrower but he would make a Garrett Wilson scary as hell, especially when he breaks contain-often.  Tight ends benefit in such cases too.

An average offense, conservative with Lamar, combined with our defense, could beat anybody.  There are still a half dozen more complete teams but the Jets would be a serious contender day 1.  The guy is 26.  This could be a recipe to 10 years of exciting football in the Jersey swamp.  If he's available , especially if the use the non-exclusive franchise tag, I would make every effort to get him.

If you wanted to trade up to select Bryce Young, you would be lucky to get any interest even if you offer our 1st and second this year and 1st rounder next year.  We saw with Zach that these guys are no guarantee.  Lamar is and he is only 26.

This is pure fabrication ... how have the WRs and RBs fared in Baltimore with Lamar ?

How many 1000 yd receivers or RBs ? Answer None. - Lamar is Lamar .. and he WILL slow down and whatever team signs him to a mega contract WILL suck. He is a supremely gifted athlete that focuses on doing too much himself at the expense of other playmakers contributions. One of the reasons I cannot stand Run First QBs.

Edited by Dunnie
  • Upvote 1

12 hours ago, johnnysd said:

If you truly looked at Lamar's results and could be objective over the last 2 years you would realize that 

1. He is a shadow of himself

2. His performance tails off as he plays more in the season

3. His body breaks down as the season progresses until he is hurt and cannot play

He is a rapidly declining player that will never again be what he was because his style is unsustainable. He had a great beginning of the season when he was healthy and then declined last year.

This is not even to mention that teams are getting better and better at defending him anyway. Investing in this guy would be the pinnacle of idiocy.

You clearly love his style of play. But he is basically done.

He is not a rapidly declining player.  What part of 2nd best odds to win MVP do you not get?  

You want to knock him for his injuries, sure, the rest, pure nonsense.   He's 26.

17 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Lamar in this situation is more important than the current coaching staff.  You get him, and figure it out.

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

Who, exactly, is going to figure it out? Hackett? The Titans guy? 

Should be able to attract a legit HC and/or OC with Lamar, Breece Hall, and GW. 

incidentally, I’d like to see the jets spend another premium pick on a LT, because I think if you manage to land an above average LT, you really can say we have real talent on every premium position on offense. 

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Dunnie said:

This is pure fabrication ... how have the WRs and RBs fared in Baltimore with Lamar ?

How many 1000 yd receivers or RBs ? Answer None. - Lamar is Lamar .. and he WILL slow down and whatever team signs him to a mega contract WILL suck. He is a supremely gifted athlete that focuses on doing too much himself at the expense of other playmakers contributions. One of the reasons I cannot stand Run First QBs.

He's a selfish player who thinks to much of himself and he's 45-16.

We have reach full blown lunacy in this thread.  It's really amazing.

You all deserve Zach Wilson.

• Upvote 1

Just now, T0mShane said:

Maybe let Lamar’s mom coach the team

So you're a big Saleh fan suddenly? 

Either way, what's trivial here.  If they dont get the QB position right, they're losing their jobs anyway.  If Hackett cant figure it out with anyone they give him, they fire him.  You're acting like something is unique here and it's not, at all. 

13 minutes ago, JiF4Lamar said:

He's a selfish player who thinks to much of himself and he's 45-16.

We have reach full blown lunacy in this thread.  It's really amazing.

You all deserve Zach Wilson.

I never said he was selfish ... i simply said he thinks he has to do more than he needs to ... and that that has a negative effective on the productivity of other players. Tell me do you think Garett Wilson would be happy with 500 yds receiving next year ?

Edited by Dunnie
  • More Ugh 1