John Beck: “Zach Wilson needs to reinvent himself”

1 hour ago, Beerfish said:

At this point in time he is an asset we hope to increase in value before moving.  He is Becton status right now, not expecting anything from him but would be nice if he adds value to himself.

at least becton played well his first season. we at least saw that he can play in the league. injuries have been his problem.

zach has never really showed he can play. he had a few throws and a few minutes of good play but that's it

7 hours ago, Saul Goodman said:

Zach Wilson was competing to be the starting quarterback for BYU in August of 2020, just about 5-6 months before Douglas all but publicly announced that he was going to draft him with the 2nd overall pick. Wilson put up some stats for one year of college, against ridiculous competition.

He wasn’t a very good prospect. He wasn’t very talented. He had/has no special skills, other than he can throw a football kinda hard. So sick of him and his fans. 

283AD8DB-941E-44BD-B987-3F8CAA87BE05.jpeg

Beginning of his final season at BYU, Wilson was a nobody. At a loss how or why he ascended the Jets' draft board. 

• Upvote 1
  • More Ugh 1

11 hours ago, Patriot Killa said:

what kind of sissy bullsh*t is this? the Jets have more offense firepower than I’ve seen in 25+ years.

this has all gotten very silly. the kid can’t play QB.

When me personally can hit a higher percentage of dump off passes at my age, along with most HS QB’s, then Beck’s client can, I’d say there is a monumental problem with the client playing football at the highest level

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

26 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Huh now that the org has turned away from Wilson, the same people who were outraged by anyone criticizing him are all of a sudden prepared to say that Zach Wilson stinks and has always stunk. So unpredictable. So strange. Choke on your Jamal Adams jerseys.

Speaking of crap QBs TOm, your boy Paxton Lynch is on ESPN now if you want to watch him.

• Haha 2

Sure, Zach deserves a lot of blame for woefully underperforming but it really seems to me like the organization epically failed him. They thought he was gonna jump in the league and be Joe Burrow or something? And a few years removed from the Darnold debacle you'd have thought they learned a thing or two. What a colossal misstep by everyone involved. 

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

14 minutes ago, ultraJETfan said:

Sure, Zach deserves a lot of blame for woefully underperforming but it really seems to me like the organization epically failed him. They thought he was gonna jump in the league and be Joe Burrow or something? And a few years removed from the Darnold debacle you'd have thought they learned a thing or two. What a colossal misstep by everyone involved. 

Please.  Situation he entered was fine.  

Zach Wilson was a midround-caliber prospect who got way over-drafted.  It was a dumb pick.  

1 hour ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Zach Wilson was a midround-caliber prospect who got way over-drafted.  It was a dumb pick.  

I think Zach was a mid 1st round pick. I was hoping at the time we wouldn’t draft him and trade back for picks if we didn’t draft him not sure how far he would have fallen. But in the first round. If he’s still on the roster be interesting to see what he does in training camp. 

• Sympathy 1

4 hours ago, JoeWillieWhiteShoesHOF said:

When me personally can hit a higher percentage of dump off passes at my age, along with most HS QB’s, then Beck’s client can, I’d say there is a monumental problem with the client playing football at the highest level

Exactly, last year was extremely ugly. it’s 2023 & he has to be buried on the depth chart, forgotten about and left to months and months of hard work and development to even have a chance one day in the future. I was a huge Wilson fan from the start of this experiment & I have to admit, I’m very much off the wagon… by a harsh distance.

Go get Rodgers and throw him in the hyperbolic time chamber lol.

• Upvote 3

Let’s look at it another way, the GB Packers think they are geniuses for warehousing Jordan Love and are ready to exercise his 5th year option and have him play this year.   

if the Jets were smart and told Woody to let Zach sit and learn for two years, they could be in the same place. 

• Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

Totally incorrect ... On every account .. he entered that league with a terrible team, he was never a mid round pick .. perhaps a top of second round, 2nd year injuries imploded and he regressed. He was left to fend for himself with zero coaching in year 2 .. even though he was a project.

The kid needs to sit, learn, practice and get better .. he will get another shot.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

• Sympathy 1

16 minutes ago, Dunnie said:

Totally incorrect ... On every account .. he entered that league with a terrible team, he was never a mid round pick .. perhaps a top of second round, 2nd year injuries imploded and he regressed. He was left to fend for himself with zero coaching in year 2 .. even though he was a project.

The kid needs to sit, learn, practice and get better .. he will get another shot.

hang in there GIF

11 hours ago, Stark said:

at least becton played well his first season. we at least saw that he can play in the league. injuries have been his problem.

zach has never really showed he can play. he had a few throws and a few minutes of good play but that's it

“Flashes” has quickly become one of my most-hated words. Every QB drafted in the first round has physical talent and can deliver “flash” throws. For me a “flash” is being the best player on the field for significant stretches of games even if overall he doesn’t produce consistently.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

21 hours ago, TeachMeHowtoDouglas said:

He also said Zach doesn’t have the ability to get out of NY and it’s tough playing on a team with little talent. 

Ummmmmm you don’t have to miss quote him to make a point he said, yes he said Zach can’t get out if New York but the key points he said besides that were:

1) Zach has to reinvent himself.

2) that what Zach did in college won’t work in the NFL and

3) that there were holes on the team which I really took to mean not talent but a statement to the OL at times. 

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, k-met57 said:

oh look, someone who isn't a toxic a$$hole...

I don’t think it’s “toxic” to make frank evaluations of a player and his chances of future success.

I do not believe Zach Wilson will ever be a good NFL QB. Therefore I wish to move on from him. Nothing bout that is “toxic”.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 2

I don’t think it’s “toxic” to make frank evaluations of a player and his chances of future success.
I do not believe Zach Wilson will ever be a good NFL QB. Therefore I wish to move on from him. Nothing bout that is “toxic”.
Fish .. completely agree .. it is just the senseless random bashings that bring about appropriately terse and evangelical responses.

The kid has lost his starting job (rightfully so), been told he's not getting it back, and been made the scapegoat of a failed season. He was drafted and thrown into an impossible situation, and asked to save a sinking ship. Year 2 ... There was no cohesion to the OL. Then he made the youthful blunderous comment after the NE game.

I'm not saying he played well .. but he is not the villain people make him out to be. I honestly don't get it ... It's the dark side of this fan base IMHO.

Mike White and Flacco had no success at the position either.

Zach has been relegated to PS ... And yet people still harbor some kind of weird personal vitriol towards him.

Then you have the idiocy of the Justin Fields crew ... Who fail to see that their selected messiah is nothing more than a guy that can't play the position and basically a running back.

It's all tiring.

• Upvote 1

58 minutes ago, Warfish said:

neither do I.

• Upvote 1

Agree, all one has to do is look at the guy who was drafted right before him. Trevor Lawrence, like Zack had a rough start, but continued to improve with each game he played. So much so that he got his team in his second year,into the playoffs. When you draft a quarterback number two in the first round and that quarterback does not progress you’ve got a serious problem. Zach had the complete attention of the whole coaching staff working with him to improve for his entire tenure with the Jets. Yet, he continue to make the same mistakes over and over again.
Let’s look at some of the main issues

Failure to have learned to step up in the pocket, in the face of the pass rush.

The tendency to panic in the face of the pass rush

The inability to have any continuity in his short passing game. Really the inability to throw a short pass

The lack of touch when called for in his passing game

Guys after two years as a starter, even taking into account the time missed for injuries,we should have seen progress in these areas.

Then you factor in, playing Mike White with all the same challenges Zack faced and suddenly the offense starts to click, that is a huge red flag. Zack is never going to be a FQB for the Jets or any other team. At best he may develop into a competent backup, and to be honest with you, I am not sure he has that in him. I really could see him out of the league within three to five years.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

12 minutes ago, fltflo said:

Agree, all one has to do is look at the guy who was drafted right before him. Trevor Lawrence, like Zack had a rough start, but continued to improve with each game he played. So much so that he got his team in his second year,into the playoffs. When you draft a quarterback number two in the first round and that quarterback does not progress you’ve got a serious problem. Zach had the complete attention of the whole coaching staff working with him to improve for his entire tenure with the Jets. Yet, he continue to make the same mistakes over and over again.
Let’s look at some of the main issues

Failure to have learned to step up in the pocket, in the face of the pass rush.

The tendency to panic in the face of the pass rush

The inability to have any continuity in his short passing game. Really the inability to throw a short pass

The lack of touch when called for in his passing game

Guys after two years as a starter, even taking into account the time missed for injuries,we should have seen progress in these areas.

Then you factor in, playing Mike White with all the same challenges Zack faced and suddenly the offense starts to click, that is a huge red flag. Zack is never going to be a FQB for the Jets or any other team. At best he may develop into a competent backup, and to be honest with you, I am not sure he has that in him. I really could see him out of the league within three to five years.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

This is fake news .. the coaching staffs sum total of teaching was .. let Zach be Zach ... Mike White ? I'm sorry what was his record last year .. how many TDs ? You can't make this up.

• Upvote 1