Aaron Rodgers to the Jets rumor: Merged

17 minutes ago, DoubleDown said:

Bitonti wanting Jimmy G or a rookie plays right into his ongoing narrative of the team prioritizing cost reduction and not being serious about winning.

Rodgers changes everything for this team.  I'm not really sure how any objective person can disagree.  He's certainly past his prime, but he will provide a level of play that various quarterbacks have only done a handful of times in the history of this franchise.  The Jets have a window to do something special with Sauce, Wilson, Breece, Moore, and AVT on rookie contracts.  Time to swing for the fences.

there is definitely an element to this for some anti woody posters.   the owner writing a $50-60MM check blows up their accusations completely.  Notice how they are already trying to shift the narrative that woody is willing to give a higher pick if GB eats some of the salary.

they hate woody and they hate the Jets.

4 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Nihilists don't make predictions. 

There is nothing to predict, and it wouldn't matter anyway if there was.

Well I never said I was a nihilist, you did 

why is it important to define who I am? we can't just talk about the topic at hand? 

after the 21 draft I predicted Zach would suck and then people came out of the woodwork to call me anti-mormon and all this garbage. to label me in some way.

Why? Because they didn't want to talk about the possibility that Zach did in fact suck. It's easier to bash the source than have an actual debate 

"Don't worry about Bitonti, he's a nihilist" 

yeah I'm just making up the fact that Rodgers is 40. It's not a game where 40-year-olds succeed, don't shoot the messenger. 

5 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Yet your entire nihilistic worldview in re: the Jets is entirely based on past performance.

my viewpoints on the Jets are based on what the Jets are, as a football team. Their past performance is not an indicator either way. 

the roster, the talent level, etc that's what my viewpoints are based on. 

6 minutes ago, batman10023 said:

what would our record have been with AR this past year?  bad thumb and all.

i don't know. What would their record have been with Sam Darnold? these are all hypotheticals. Safe to say the record would be better if the QBs were better. But that doesn't mean they have to spend 100 million to do it

fact is, I kind of liked his "build it the right way" thing JD was pushing. Now he's 2 years away from being fired it's "let's go all in for this year, there is no tomorrow." 

It's hypocritical. They should be building for sustained success. This whole Aaron Rodgers thing is at best a short term solution, at worst it's not a solution at all 

• Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, bla bla bla said:

Even if Rodgers is just average next year, I don't think he will, I'd still take a full season out of him than missing games from Jimmy G

That’s the issue and the problem If Rodgers is just an average NFL QB is he worth what he is going to get paid as you are paying for what Rodgers did in the past and paying for his name. You can get an average QB far less expensive and continue to strengthen overall team and get the same results if Rodgers is just going to be average 

2 minutes ago, bitonti said:

Well I never said I was a nihilist, you did 

why is it important to define who I am? we can't just talk about the topic at hand? 

after the 21 draft I predicted Zach would suck and then people came out of the woodwork to call me anti-mormon and all this garbage. to label me in some way.

Why? Because they didn't want to talk about the possibility that Zach did in fact suck. It's easier to bash the source than have an actual debate 

"Don't worry about Bitonti, he's a nihilist" 

yeah I'm just making up the fact that Rodgers is 40. It's not a game where 40-year-olds succeed, don't shoot the messenger. 

my viewpoints on the Jets are based on what the Jets are, as a football team. Their past performance is not an indicator either way. 

the roster, the talent level, etc that's what my viewpoints are based on. 

i don't know. What would their record have been with Sam Darnold? these are all hypotheticals. Safe to say the record would be better if the QBs were better. But that doesn't mean they have to spend 100 million to do it

fact is, I kind of liked his "build it the right way" thing JD was pushing. Now he's 2 years away from being fired it's "let's go all in for this year, there is no tomorrow." 

It's hypocritical. They should be building for sustained success. This whole Aaron Rodgers thing is at best a short term solution, at worst it's not a solution at all 

my guess is we have at least 3-4 extra wins and get to the playoffs with better qb play.

your "solution" is to bring a 3rd tier guy in and not make the playoffs again.  Some could say that you think this because it helps your narrative regarding the Jets sucking/owner cheap.

bringing AR here allows them to do what they should have done the last 15 years.  Let their high draft pick sit for a year and learn. 

3 minutes ago, CSNY said:

That’s the issue and the problem If Rodgers is just an average NFL QB is he worth what he is going to get paid as you are paying for what Rodgers did in the past and paying for his name. You can get an average QB far less expensive and get the same results if Rodgers is just going to be average plus you can continue to build a stronger overall team 

But that is ignoring the astronomical upside of Rodgers. There is no one else like that short of Lamar that you could swing for. IMO Rodgers is the most likely to give you playoff caliber QB play with the hope of MVP level.

7 minutes ago, Dcat said:

No....  Green Bay has decided that now is the time for several reasons:  they don't want to lose Jordan Love and they want to establish him with a new OC.  Geez, Bit...  Rodgers with the Jets' set of weapons will be fun.  I honestly do not believe you are a Jets fan, and that makes me sad.  You are by far the MOST negative poster on the entire forum...  and you have some fierce competition, too.  Well done, I guess.

This should be your new avi

sad-eeyore-is-ignored-hmjthncxd25lc49x.g

Angry Mtv GIF

5 minutes ago, Dcat said:

There's this whole psychological aspect to Winnie the Pooh 

Eeyore is depressed. But I'm not depressed. I'm Anxious for what's going to happen. That's Piglet 

This board is full of bi-polar Tiggers, all manic and happy in March but when November comes you're all bounced out 

fact is I hate this type of discussion because instead of talking about Aaron Rodgers being 20 years older than the upcoming rookies, we talk about each other. Putting labels on me as if that changes the fundamental facts

people have put labels on me for decades on these sites. Don't listen to Bitonti his politics aren't like mine. Don't listen to Bitonti he hates Mormons was the latest one. Don't listen to Bitonti he's just depressed

I like all the attention don't get me wrong but maybe we should talk about the topic rather than trying to prove everyone else who doesn't agree with you is suffering from mental illness 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, CSNY said:

That’s the issue and the problem If Rodgers is just an average NFL QB is he worth what he is going to get paid as you are paying for what Rodgers did in the past and paying for his name. You can get an average QB far less expensive and continue to strengthen overall team and get the same results if Rodgers is just going to be average 

You must have missed the Daniel Jones news

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, batman10023 said:

my guess is we have at least 3-4 extra wins and get to the playoffs with better qb play.

your "solution" is to bring a 3rd tier guy in and not make the playoffs again.  Some could say that you think this because it helps your narrative regarding the Jets sucking/owner cheap.

bringing AR here allows them to do what they should have done the last 15 years.  Let their high draft pick sit for a year and learn. 

here's a hypothetical how much better would the team have been if they kept Sam Darnold and used that 2 pick on JaMarr Chase or Penei Sewell? 

Sitting doesn't always translate to learning. The only way Zach will ever learn how to face a pass rush is to face a pass rush. Or not. But these things happen on the field. 

1 minute ago, CSNY said:

That’s the issue and the problem If Rodgers is just an average NFL QB is he worth what he is going to get paid as you are paying for what Rodgers did in the past and paying for his name. You can get an average QB far less expensive and get the same results if Rodgers is just going to be average plus you can continue to build a stronger overall team 

We live in a world where Daniel Jones who has one decent year on his resume and was widely viewed as a clear bust this time last year signing a contract for $40m per year for 4 years.

I don't care about Woody's money.  What matters are the cap hits, and we don't know what those will look like until the details of the trade are released.

The Jets tried the "strike gold with a quarterback on a rookie contract" approach twice in the last few years and failed both times.  There are a number of young players on rookie contracts right now that are providing the Jets with a window.  The Jets have a TON of cap room to work with in 2024 and beyond.  It's time to spend some money, improve the biggest weakness on the team, and make a serious push in the next 2-3 years.

Did you predict an option that WOULD have worked out?  If so, I don't recall that.

I predicted Patrick Mahomes would be a great NFL QB and am on record the day before the draft wanting the Jets to make that pick rather than Jamal Adams

I predicted Penei Sewell would be a Pro Bowler, that happened.

I predict lots of options that work out, people just like to remember when I'm wrong more. 

we all can also look at his record of production and circumstances and watch tape of him last year, and deduce he is not 150 years old and broken down.  He is clearly still capable, physically, of playing NFL football as of the closing gun of the 2022 season.

At a level far beyond what we've fielded the last 20 years.

We saw him lose to the Jets and the Lions 20-16 he's breaking down. This is the swan song of Aaron Rodgers. Don't shoot the messenger.

This is a talented an competative roster, outside of QB and a few normal holes to fill due to Free Agency.

The OL is also terrible. 

Woody's money (one hand you call him cheap and never pays, now you argue against him paying, make up your mind).

I argue against bad moves. They should pay young players that deserve it. Not extend CJ Usomah who sucks. 

So you want to lose for a few more years while we buy another lottery ticket on a draft QB, picking at 13, in a down year for QB's in the draft?

Zach's year was supposed to be an up year for QBs no one knows the strength of the QB class until after the fact. 

Buying two years to find/develop/draft a QB IS, after all, how many "sustained success" teams handle the QB position.

Start the good Vet, have the kid sit two years, whomever that kid (or kids) are.

I don't think that's actually accurate. Most teams winning the SB do so with QBs they drafted. Matthew Stafford and Tom Brady are exceptions that prove the rule

bottom line people don't want to hear anything negative this time of year. So go ahead and hope what you want to hope. Don't listen to me I'm just a depressed Nihilist

does that make you feel better? 

Just now, bitonti said:

There's this whole psychological aspect to Winnie the Pooh 

Eeyore is depressed. But I'm not depressed. I'm Anxious for what's going to happen. That's Piglet 

This board is full of bi-polar Tiggers, all manic and happy in March but when November comes you're all bounced out 

fact is I hate this type of discussion because instead of talking about Aaron Rodgers being 20 years older than the upcoming rookies, we talk about each other. Putting labels on me as if that changes the fundamental facts

people have put labels on me for decades on these sites. Don't listen to Bitonti his politics aren't like mine. Don't listen to Bitonti he hates Mormons was the latest one. Don't listen to Bitonti he's just depressed

I like all the attention don't get me wrong but maybe we should talk about the topic rather than trying to prove everyone else who doesn't agree with you is suffering from mental illness 

nice.  You totally ignored the most important point: You are the most negative fan on this site.  Period. I'm not referring to "being depressed".  But if you want to add that in, fine.  The Eeyore that you are is simply the most negative creature in the room.  And that's a fact.

My take as a lifetime Jets fan:  Watching Rodgers (who is in no way as decrepit a QB as you continually imply... another fallacy) work with G Wilson and Hall is goddam exciting.  I will love this for the next 2 years if possible.  Sure... dump Zach (I'm with you on that) and definitely draft a QB and develop him for the next or two while Aaron throws the ball to Garrett Wilson. A lot. 

Im a fan.  I want the team to win. I want to see offense.  Rodgers is the correct move.

As an aside...     and I'm sorry to ask this... but is it not possible for you to be an actual fan of this team?  If not, then why do you hang atound? 

• Upvote 1
  • WTF? 1

26 minutes ago, batman10023 said:

there is definitely an element to this for some anti woody posters.   the owner writing a $50-60MM check blows up their accusations completely.  Notice how they are already trying to shift the narrative that woody is willing to give a higher pick if GB eats some of the salary.

they hate woody and they hate the Jets.

Weird take. I do not like Woody because I love the Jets. He has earned his harsh criticism.

But me thinking he is a moron has nothing to do with me wanting or not wanting Aaron Rodgers.

Just checking in as a Packers fan to say I’ve been refreshing Twitter and this thread just like you all. Idk what compensation looks like. I have idiot Packers friends here in WI that think 2 first minimum and I see others here and on twitter suggesting a 3rd with conditions. Truth is probably somewhere in the middle.

I am ready for Jordan Love and am of the mindset he’ll be very good. I’ll root for Rodgers like hell in NY though and hope this goes through. 

interesting that Rapaport this morning didn’t mention a return to GB as a possibility still. He’s been the one still riding that train even though common sense says otherwise. Tells me maybe things are moving.

anyway, I’ll keep lurking in the shadows. Rock on, Jets fans.

GPG

• Upvote 3

Just now, Dcat said:

nice.  You totally ignored the most important point: You are the most negative fan on this site.  Period. I'm not referring to "being depressed".  But if you want to add that in, fine.  The Eeyore that you are is simply the most negative creature in the room.  And that's a fact.

My take as a lifetime Jets fan:  Watching Rodgers (who is in no way as decrepit a QB as you continually imply... another fallacy) work with G Wilson and Hall is goddam exciting.  I will love this for the next 2 years if possible.  Sure... dump Zach (I'm with you on that) and definitely draft a QB and develop him for the next or two while Aaron throws the ball to Garrett Wilson. A lot. 

Im a fan.  I want the team to win. I want to see offense.  Rodgers is the correct move.

As an aside...     and I'm sorry to ask this... but is it not possible for you to be an actual fan of this team?  If not, then why do you hang atound? 

A couple points 

I seem like the most negative fan now, during silly season, but during the actual season, I'm level headed. I just don't go from extreme optimism to extreme pessimism. They are a last place team, until they prove otherwise. 

Rodgers is done. I know you don't want to agree with that or have a real discussion about it, so we won't. He's also kind of a flake of a teammate and annoying as a person. He's going to get hurt. These things are going to be overlooked right now but again, give it 6 months. I'll still be around and hey, you can gloat if I'm wrong. 

as for the last line, this is what the kids call Gatekeeping

it's not your place to evaluate my fandom and declare it good or bad. I can root for this team any way I like. There's no wrong way to eat a Reese's. 

It's not like the bandwagon is overflowing. Here's a sobering fact there's no county in America where Jets fans are the majority. We literally have no home turf to defend. What kind of fan do you want me to be after a 12 year playoff drought the longest in major sport? 

I could sit here and say you all are foolish as f. Hopeful in the face of hopeless circumstances. 

But I don't because it's not one fan's place to judge another fan.

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, Dcat said:

No....  Green Bay has decided that now is the time for several reasons:  they don't want to lose Jordan Love and they want to establish him with a new OC.  Geez, Bit...  Rodgers with the Jets' set of weapons will be fun.  I honestly do not believe you are a Jets fan, and that makes me sad.  You are by far the MOST negative poster on the entire forum...  and you have some fierce competition, too.  Well done, I guess.

Kind of harsh. 

21 minutes ago, Warfish said:

, you worry far too much about minutia like the cap and Woody's money (one hand you call him cheap and never pays, now you argue against him paying, make up your mind).

So you want to lose for a few more years while we buy another lottery ticket on a draft QB, picking at 13, in a down year for QB's in the draft?

Come on Bit, seriously.

This franchise has been moribund for 20 years.  It just needs some success.  

The rest can come after.

Buying two years to find/develop/draft a QB IS, after all, how many "sustained success" teams handle the QB position.

Start the good Vet, have the kid sit two years, whomever that kid (or kids) are.

YES to all the above...  

32 minutes ago, bitonti said:

fing this. ny media got jets fans in a jizzy again and they're falling for it.

HES 40 40 40 40 40

2 minutes ago, Maxman said:

You know I don't normally post scoops, it isn't what we chase. This one came to me though from someone very reliable.

I was told things are up to Aaron Rodgers right now. It is the Jets or retirement and they are waiting on his decision but don't know when he will make it.

Thanks for simplifying what is going on. Too many pages in the Rogers merged thread to figure it out.