Aaron Rodgers to the Jets rumor: Merged

The packers have enough leverage.  The Jets are totally desperate to get the deal done and the owner is putting his fingers in the pie.

The Packers badly want to move on and they would indeed be stuck IF the Jets were prepared to do as you would normally do.  Make an offer, set a deadline and move on if the deadline is passed.

That is not happening.  The Packers are happy as heck to be dealing with the jets on this thing, they are going to get a decent return on a guy they want to dump and get cap space and no other team than the jets want him.

In theory the Jets being the only team should be able to low ball but they want Rodgers as much as the packers want to get rid of him.

I'm prepared for this to be a disaster, not this year but over two years which is the max they can expect him to play for this team.

• WTF? 4
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Ghost said:

And what if Rodgers decides not to play with the Jets and wants to return to the Packers? Then what. 

Even if he was considering that, he won't now. His big thing is being wanted. The Packers' president just said, about as loudly and clearly as possible, we don't want you.

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, Pac said:

I think the whole Carr waltz was a bit mischarcterized by Diana Roussini or whatever her name is.  I heard another report where Jets told Carr he could be a HOF player if he won a SB in NY

That's a lot different than just telling him they think he's a HOFer.  Her reports around this have been suspect at best. 

An example of how the media spins it haha

• Upvote 1

Just now, T0mShane said:

I don’t see this as the Packers having leverage, though. I see this as Rodgers doing everything he can to **** Gutenkunst on the way out the door. Rodgers retiring is the doom scenario for the Packers, so the longer Rodgers sits on his hands, the more desperate the Packers are and the more leverage Douglas has. 

We will see by the trade compensation.  If it is more than like a 3rd and 4th douglas has been hoodwinked, seeing at the scenario we are looking at.

• Thumb Down 1
  • WTF? 1

Just now, T0mShane said:

I don’t see this as the Packers having leverage, though. I see this as Rodgers doing everything he can to **** Gutenkunst on the way out the door. Rodgers retiring is the doom scenario for the Packers, so the longer Rodgers sits on his hands, the more desperate the Packers are and the more leverage Douglas has. 

All Hero’s don’t wear capes 

You keeping me off the ledge brother 

Jumping Why Does It Always Rain On Me GIF by Travis

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, FidelioJet said:

Carolina out on potential Rodgers

Dolphins out on potential Rodgers

Jets position getting stronger.  

Hold the line Joe.

What happen with Miami ?

And thinking about it, it probably was Greenbay leaking that Panthers crap from earlier about them “calling about Rodgers” 

7 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

The Jets might be confident because Rodgers already told them yes, but wants to make the Packers squirm. 

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

We will see by the trade compensation.  If it is more than like a 3rd and 4th douglas has been hoodwinked, seeing at the scenario we are looking at.

I think Douglas will pay them a little more to get the Packers to eat some money, but yeah. 

3 minutes ago, Jimmy 2 Times said:

The Jets might be confident because Rodgers already told them yes, but wants to make the Packers squirm. 

If you listen to the Aubrey Marcus interview, Rodgers is dripping with bitterness toward the Packers and likely wants his pound of flesh. This might be part of how he goes about getting it

• Upvote 4

16 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

If what ppl around here are saying is true, Florham Park is calm. They believe they have Rodg in the bag and he fully intends join the Jets. His holding out until the last available minute is then a big FU to GB, but this doesn't affect Florham bc it's an inside joke.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

If you listen to the Aubrey Marcus interview, Rodgers is dripping with bitterness toward the Packers and likely wants his pound of flesh. This might be part of how he goes about getting it

Not o it dies the delay frustrate gb but it may help Douglas with negotiations. 

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

The packers have enough leverage.  The Jets are totally desperate to get the deal done and the owner is putting his fingers in the pie.

The Packers badly want to move on and they would indeed be stuck IF the Jets were prepared to do as you would normally do.  Make an offer, set a deadline and move on if the deadline is passed.

That is not happening.  The Packers are happy as heck to be dealing with the jets on this thing, they are going to get a decent return on a guy they want to dump and get cap space and no other team than the jets want him.

In theory the Jets being the only team should be able to low ball but they want Rodgers as much as the packers want to get rid of him.

I'm prepared for this to be a disaster, not this year but over two years which is the max they can expect him to play for this team.

Your obsession with Woody is alarming

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Guilhermezmc said:

Your obsession with Woody is alarming

I have very little of an obsession with Woody unless you do not know the meaning of the word.  I rarely talk about him,  pretty well never say he is a bad owner  and  stick up for him more than most when there is a topic on him.  On this one issue in about two threads I've stated that him being actively involved weakens  the jets position and I believe that.

21 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I don't understand why so many fans put this hold up all on Rodgers vs. recognizing the guys in the hot seat are the Packers based on that contract they agreed to.  One point I disagree with you - the worst case for the Packers is for Rodgers to say he's returning, not retiring.  Then what are they going to do?  Sit Love in his 4th year?  Pull an Eli Manning and sit Rodgers?  Their fan base is going to become unglued...

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, extmenace said:

If Rodgers has the ego and is as big of an attention whore as so many of you guys believe, now would be the perfect time for Rodgers to make his announcement. He can go ahead and trump the trading of the number 1 pick.

And if he was on the fence and searching for that fire to keep it going -- I think we have ignition 

1 minute ago, Beerfish said:

I have very little of an obsession with Woody unless you do not know the meaning of the word.  I rarely talk about him,  pretty well never say he is a bad owner  and  stick up for him more than most when there is a topic on him.  On this one issue in about two threads I've stated that him being actively involved weakens  the jets position and I believe that.

This may be a case where it's a net neutral. On one hand, Woody wanting to get Rodgers could hurt the Jets' leverage. On the other, part of what gets Rodgers to want to come to you is to be wooed, to feel wanted. The Jets are the only bidder in part because they came on so strong and demonstrated how badly they want to bring in Rodgers. So while in general his actions might have hurt leverage, that might have been negated because of who they were dealing with.

• Upvote 2

22 minutes ago, oatmeal said:

Rich a believer now

Drinking Coffee Hush GIF by ALLBLK

I just heard the GM's quote. The 2 big takeaways are :

1) "....Aaron achieve what he wanted". Doesn’t  sound like AR wants to retire (although he still could) or stay with GB and that he DOES want to play for the Jets

2) The trade parameters are set. We are not haggling over compensation.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

I'm prepared to be angry no matter what happens, cause 'It's what I do'

As a fellow doomsayer, I can sympathize. How I’m choosing to approach this is as follows:

1. On the field, even a diminished Rodgers will be the best Jets QB I’ve ever seen with my own eyes. I think, between the lines, he’s a serious, all-business, hyper-competitive dude that still cares deeply about winning football games.

2. Off the field, he wants to viewed as a thought leader with enlightened, unconventional views. He wants to be seen as more than “just a football player,” and he adopts contrarian positions that he only tangentially believes in as a way to set himself apart from what he sees as normie, mainstream groupthink attitudes. This will be obnoxious and, eventually, tedious. Best case? He trolls a strawman version of the “NY Media” for two years while playing some exciting, competitive football, elevating a subpar coaching staff the way Favre did before breaking down. Worst case? Rodgers comes in, says some sh*t about 9/11 that gets him steamrolled online—which affects his willingness to play football in the service of us dimwit luddite sheeple every week—and he bails in twelve months taking Saleh and Douglas with him. 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

14 minutes ago, Vader said:

If what ppl around here are saying is true, Florham Park is calm. They believe they have Rodg in the bag and he fully intends join the Jets. His holding out until the last available minute is then a big FU to GB, but this doesn't affect Florham bc it's an inside joke.

Worst-worst case scenario is Rodgers flips, retires, and Douglas goes and nabs Tannehill on the cheap from a tanking Tennessee team. 

• Haha 2

30 minutes ago, oatmeal said:

Rich a believer now

Drinking Coffee Hush GIF by ALLBLK

Cimini, as usual, is wrong here. The Packers don't have the leverage to wait until they "get what they want." They are practically pushing him out of Green Bay, and they are on a hard league deadline. His read here makes no sense, especially since the Packers wouldn't have let the Jets court him if they weren't already in agreement on the parameters of a deal.

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

3 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

As a fellow doomsayer, I can sympathize. How I’m choosing to approach this is as follows:

1. On the field, even a diminished Rodgers will be the best Jets QB I’ve ever seen with my own eyes. I think, between the lines, he’s a serious, all-business, hyper-competitive dude that still cares deeply about winning football games.

2. Off the field, he wants to viewed as a thought leader with enlightened, unconventional views. He wants to be seen as more than “just a football player,” and he adopts contrarian positions that he only tangentially believes in as a way to set himself apart from what he sees as normie, mainstream groupthink attitudes. This will be obnoxious and, eventually, tedious. Best case? He trolls a strawman version of the “NY Media” for two years while playing some exciting, competitive football, elevating a subpar coaching staff the way Favre did before breaking down. Worst case? Rodgers comes in, says some sh*t about 9/11 that gets him steamrolled online—which affects his willingness to play football in the service of us dimwit luddite sheeple every week—and he bails in twelve months taking Saleh and Douglas with him. 

I hope he speaks out on the off-the-field stuff in a way that people who currently find him to be "obnoxious" (I'm not one of those people, btw) will find him to be absolutely unbearable.  It's exactly what these people deserve.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2