Jets Negotiating With Lazard [Signed 4 years $44M]

SR24

19 minutes ago, fusionCA said:

Evans and Dhop are under contract , you would have to trade for them and give draft picks

also Wilson is your #1

If we’re going all in the next 2 years then who cares about giving up a 3rd round pick or whatever it is?

The difference between those guys and Lazard is massive 

5 hours ago, win4ever said:

I think the big value with Berrios was his return ability, and they would most likely still need to replace it.  I'm not sure Cobb is much of a returner anymore (had 4 last year) and GB (if I remember correctly was atrocious with Amari Rodgers).  So they would need to add someone that also returns punts, and I don't think any of the guys we have can do that.  I think Wilson did in college briefly, but he's too valuable.  So I'm assuming they will pick up a draft pick (love Tank Dell for this, but Jayden Reed works as well) that can be that developmental WR that returns punts, as WR6 maybe.  

I think, it'll be Wilson/Lazard/Moore/Mims/Punt Return WR

The interesting aspect would be if they sign another WR like Theilen/OBJ that offer no value in punt returns.  Someone like Mecole Hardman could be interesting, but I'm weary of signing a guy that couldn't really do much playing for the best QB with a great offensive system.  

I’m less worried about a backup WR specifically being the one to handle all the return duties. A backup CB can return kicks, a backup RB or NB can return punts. A rookie WR can do either or both.

Mims might be the odd man out since, even with his young legs, he offers even less in the return game than Cobb.

Plus His Majesty wants him, lol, so there’s that. 

I totally agree with trying to go all in this year. I’m just kind of confused as to why Lazard is in the equation. With guys like Dhop and Mike Evans potentially available they just seem like a vast improvement over him. 

To me Lazard is a middle of the road WR 2. That money combined with some restructuring could have gotten a solid #1 type guy like the 2 mentioned or even OBJ. There are probably others as well that are better than he is available 
How many have solid experience with Aaron Rodgers ....

Crickets

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

6 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

I’m less worried about a backup WR specifically being the one to handle all the return duties. A backup CB can return kicks, a backup RB or NB can return punts. A rookie WR can do either or both.

Mims might be the odd man out since, even with his young legs, he offers even less in the return game than Cobb.

I love  " the Goon ".

" He has been a productive third-down receiver, with 52 catches for 842 yards on such downs over the past four seasons. His average of 16.2 yards per third-down catch ranked sixth among NFL players with at least 40 third-down catches in that span.He's also known for his blocking in both the run and pass games -- earning him the nickname "The Goon" from his coaches. " 

--- https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/35859488/source-jets-wr-allen-lazard-agree-4-year-44m-deal

• Upvote 1

How is Lazard with catching in traffic?

That was a big weakness last year, G Wilson was good at getting open and great with the ball in his hands but there was no one reliable for the 3rd down or red zone tough catch in traffic.

Corey Davis shoulda been that guy but he wasn't. Maybe Lazard is? at 6'5 that is promising

49 minutes ago, Tezza said:

Once officially a JET, will he be assigned a jersey number so they can start selling his jersey?

Sent from my M2102J20SG using Tapatalk

As long as Lazard doesn’t request #13 it’s a good signing 

18 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

I think they are going to be in a roster crunch if Cobb signs because I don't think he really adds much to the WR core.  I do like OBJ though.  I wonder if Moore plays a factor, because he does have some punt and kick return experience in college. 

Yeah, I'm not sure about Mims fit, other than the X injury backup.  I still like his potential, but Rodgers is very much a spot thrower, which requires really good route running and timing.  I'm not sure he fits that mold.  

Although, FWIW, Rodgers did say there is no real list.  I still take a stab at OBJ though.  

1 minute ago, win4ever said:

I think they are going to be in a roster crunch if Cobb signs because I don't think he really adds much to the WR core.  I do like OBJ though.  I wonder if Moore plays a factor, because he does have some punt and kick return experience in college. 

Yeah, I'm not sure about Mims fit, other than the X injury backup.  I still like his potential, but Rodgers is very much a spot thrower, which requires really good route running and timing.  I'm not sure he fits that mold.  

Although, FWIW, Rodgers did say there is no real list.  I still take a stab at OBJ though.  

That would be interesting if Moore returned Kicks and Punts. He looked so explosive his rookie year. The kid has talent. I hope they make it work with him.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Maxman said:

That would be interesting if Moore returned Kicks and Punts. He looked so explosive his rookie year. The kid has talent. I hope they make it work with him.

He has such good lateral movement that he'd excel at the role as long as he had vision.  I think last year, he just got in MLF's doghouse, like Mims the year before, and never really escaped it.  He kept running clear out routes like he wasn't a first round caliber draft pick 2 years ago.  

Ideally, I think he fits the Cobb role extremely well.  Wilson fits the Adams mold (he's not there yet, but similar skills), and Lazard being the red zone threat.  

Assuming we don't lose players in the deal, I legitimately think this can be a top 5 offense.  

• Upvote 2

9 hours ago, win4ever said:

Cobb - if they even add him (as you pointed out, AR just said there were no roster demands in the same conversation when he said he wants to play here)- wouldn’t be starting but could certainly have a role on offense, albeit in 4+ WR sets, in case of injury, and/or in addition to just downs where someone else is just being given a blow. There could also be some less stats-tangible justification, in that there’s little very-veteran experience in their WR room once they move on from Davis.

I’m more pessimistic on Mims as well, but there’s no reason to sever ties with him until final cutdowns, on the off chance the light went on. If so, he wouldn’t be the first WR to spring alive after 2-3 seasons of showing very little, and anyway they don’t need him as a starter & won’t be beating out any of the other 3 for a starting role no matter where he’d ideally line up.

2 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Cobb - if they even add him (as you pointed out, AR just said there were no roster demands in the same conversation when he said he wants to play here)- wouldn’t be starting but could certainly have a role on offense, albeit in 4+ WR sets, in case of injury, and/or in addition to just downs where someone else is just being given a blow. There could also be some less stats-tangible justification, in that there’s little very-veteran experience in their WR room once they move on from Davis.

I’m more pessimistic on Mims as well, but there’s no reason to sever ties with him until final cutdowns, on the off chance the light went on. If so, he wouldn’t be the first WR to spring alive after 2-3 seasons of showing very little, and anyway they don’t need him as a starter & won’t be beating out any of the other 3 for a starting role no matter where he’d ideally line up.

I think Cobb can be passable, but figure there are better options out there like OBJ.  I have a soft spot for Parris Campbell, but he never stays healthy to justify a decent contract.  The other aspect seems to be the free agent market is rather thin this year at WR, and I'm not really sold on the draft with WRs at the top.  It has some depth, but question marks.   On the cheap, I'm intrigued for a possible KJ Hamler trade if Denver wants to restructure their WR group.  

Considering Denver was in on Lazard, and Payton seems to love bigger WRs in NO (Colston/Graham - TE but basically a WR/Thomas), I wonder if we can entice them with Davis or Mims now that Lazard is on board.  Davis for Hamler?  I think Sutton/Juedy would be out of the price range.  

Mims is weird because he has all the tools to be a monster WR.  He runs good routes, good cuts, good speed, good size with some drop issues.  My big concern with him is his lack of separation.  Someone of his size/speed/route running ability should create separation, yet he doesn't.  It's almost like he's tipping his routes as the CBs are reading it and just beating him to the spot.  

1 hour ago, win4ever said:

I think Cobb can be passable, but figure there are better options out there like OBJ.  I have a soft spot for Parris Campbell, but he never stays healthy to justify a decent contract.  The other aspect seems to be the free agent market is rather thin this year at WR, and I'm not really sold on the draft with WRs at the top.  It has some depth, but question marks.   On the cheap, I'm intrigued for a possible KJ Hamler trade if Denver wants to restructure their WR group.  

Considering Denver was in on Lazard, and Payton seems to love bigger WRs in NO (Colston/Graham - TE but basically a WR/Thomas), I wonder if we can entice them with Davis or Mims now that Lazard is on board.  Davis for Hamler?  I think Sutton/Juedy would be out of the price range.  

Mims is weird because he has all the tools to be a monster WR.  He runs good routes, good cuts, good speed, good size with some drop issues.  My big concern with him is his lack of separation.  Someone of his size/speed/route running ability should create separation, yet he doesn't.  It's almost like he's tipping his routes as the CBs are reading it and just beating him to the spot.  

I just see Cobb filling the same role (on offense) that was filled by Berrios. Sure Berrios is an active returner & Cobb these days is only used sparingly in those roles, but KOR can be filled by anybody fast (Mims aside, it seems) and PR can be by other RB/DB reserves, or by Cobb. 

I appreciate Berrios's sure hands on special teams - not on would-be game-winning TD passes - but he mostly did fair catches, returning on average just 1 punt per game, and bfd on his KORs when his return average dwindled down to 23 yards like last season. There's also the possibility the Jets do still re-sign Berrios instead of Cobb (or whomever else) and it's just for a much lower amount after Berrios sees no one else wants to pay him $5MM/year either. 

Mims...yeah he'd seem to have it all on paper, but he's just not...what's the word...sudden. It's not even how fast he does a timed cone drill; it's does he seem to lean harder than he is one way but maintain the balance to go in another direction while the DB bit & is leaning the wrong way, creating a quick yard or two (selling it, as you're alluding to). He just doesn't seem to have that. Wilson has it, and others over the years who seem to be open at will in anything less than double (if not triple) coverage when the whole stadium knows that's where the ball's going. 

2 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

I just see Cobb filling the same role (on offense) that was filled by Berrios. Sure Berrios is an active returner & Cobb these days is only used sparingly in those roles, but KOR can be filled by anybody fast (Mims aside, it seems) and PR can be by other RB/DB reserves, or by Cobb. 

I appreciate Berrios's sure hands on special teams - not on would-be game-winning TD passes - but he mostly did fair catches, returning on average just 1 punt per game, and bfd on his KORs when his return average dwindled down to 23 yards like last season. There's also the possibility the Jets do still re-sign Berrios instead of Cobb (or whomever else) and it's just for a much lower amount after Berrios sees no one else wants to pay him $5MM/year either. 

Mims...yeah he'd seem to have it all on paper, but he's just not...what's the word...sudden. It's not even how fast he does a timed cone drill; it's does he seem to lean harder than he is one way but maintain the balance to go in another direction while the DB bit & is leaning the wrong way, creating a quick yard or two (selling it, as you're alluding to). He just doesn't seem to have that. Wilson has it, and others over the years who seem to be open at will in anything less than double (if not triple) coverage when the whole stadium knows that's where the ball's going. 

I actually didn't really want to re-sign Berrios last year, because letting those WR3/4 types go are what most good teams practice so they can have someone younger take it over with a late draft pick.  Last year, it was "our only Pro-Bowl guy, Zach's best friend" argument, so I'm not surprised to see him leave.  I think he just signed with Miami (Campbell to the Giants too on a fairly low deal).   I'm actually surprised the compensation was that low for Parris, he did decent for an anemic Colts offense.  

Yeah, Mims had this weird stutter step he did before making a cut at times, which worked good in college, and great at the Senior Bowl practices.  If I remember my wrong scouting reports correctly, I remember JJ Arcega-Whiteside did the same thing in college, and I thought he could create separation.  I was wrong, lol.  It works in college because the CBs are too afraid of the speed/size, but in the NFL they just wait it out and then pounce at the route stem.  Mims hasn't learned to quite adjust yet.  

However, my hesitation is the system, because Mims doesn't really fit the Shanahan system.  They work better with precise route runners (ie Wilson), coupled with guys that are very good at YAC.  More about scheming guys open, and that easier on the intermediate level where LBs can be manipulated, rather than safeties deep.  Rodgers changes that aspect, he doesn't need to scheme guys open anywhere on the field (it helps, but he doesn't really need it), rather he attacks based on the post snap reads.  This lends much more to Mims style to make an impact, where he might be the target if the defense leaves him 1 on 1.  I wouldn't get rid of him, but I'd listen on offers just because of the contract situation.  Even if he breaks out, he's a free agent at the end of the year, to the point he will get paid (assuming he puts up say 700 yards, 5 TDs) because everyone will assume he was held back by the Jets the first 3 years.  It's even more interesting because size/speed isn't the strength of this draft for receivers, so there could be some interest I guess.  

• Upvote 1

I think we need a wr with speed if we add another. Would love dj chark a burner at 6’4 was hurt at beginning of year a little bit but then started looking like the Dj chark I remembered later in year. Only 26 still. And forget Cobb please. Would like hardman as the back up slot to Moore plus hardman would be great on punt returns and kickoffs 

wilson

lazard

moore

chark

hardman

mims

looks pretty good to me

5 hours ago, Rolloffjet said:

I think we need a wr with speed if we add another. Would love dj chark a burner at 6’4 was hurt at beginning of year a little bit but then started looking like the Dj chark I remembered later in year. Only 26 still. And forget Cobb please. Would like hardman as the back up slot to Moore plus hardman would be great on punt returns and kickoffs 

wilson

lazard

moore

chark

hardman

mims

looks pretty good to me

You think an $8-10MM WR4 is even a possible addition? Chark is a starter. They add him it means they’re dumping Moore. Aside from that it’s hard to ignore that last year he dropped a good 10% of passes thrown his way.

Hardman was a 4+ target/game slot-starter for the SB champs last year until he got injured. Prior year he had >800 yards. Unless he’s still available in July, he’ll also be way overkill $ for a WR4, never mind as a WR5. 

More likely they sign an AR-fayvie for a low snap role. As Rodgers can spread it around, it’s more important they are reliable route runners than burners. Non-starting role/backup players are filled by cheap veterans and day 3 draft picks.

You want a cheap veteran who can still run and make a few credible spot-starts if Mims makes no visible improvements, look at bringing back Perriman (or even that knucklehead Robby A, lol) for the vet minimum if still unsigned by then. But more likely they go in another direction, like Cobb, plus a day 3 rookie to duke it out with Mims for a roster spot.

JMO ;) 

You think an $8-10MM WR4 is even a possible addition? Chark is a starter. They add him it means they’re dumping Moore. Aside from that it’s hard to ignore that last year he dropped a good 10% of passes thrown his way.
Hardman was a 4+ target/game slot-starter for the SB champs last year until he got injured. Prior year he had >800 yards. Unless he’s still available in July, he’ll also be way overkill $ for a WR4, never mind as a WR5. 
More likely they sign an AR-fayvie for a low snap role. As Rodgers can spread it around, it’s more important they are reliable route runners than burners. Non-starting role/backup players are filled by cheap veterans and day 3 draft picks.
You want a cheap veteran who can still run and make a few credible spot-starts if Mims makes no visible improvements, look at bringing back Perriman (or even that knucklehead Robby A, lol) for the vet minimum if still unsigned by then. But more likely they go in another direction, like Cobb, plus a day 3 rookie to duke it out with Mims for a roster spot.
JMO  

I wonder how much Robbie Anderson still has left in the tank. Hard to tell with the QB play he's had.

1 minute ago, 32EBoozer said:

Once you get on JD’s “not a team player” list it’s impossible to get off it…. and just like that, you’re done.

Not close to chiefly where I was looking to take the convo, but fwiw he was also on JD’s “I made a mistake” list more recently than that.

They don’t need him. He’s fast with starting experience and wouldn’t advocate for more than the league min for the time if/when he acts out and they needed to cut him mid-game lol.