Jets resign Mcgovern

37 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Cutting Tomlinson this offseason would not have been possible.  He'd provide minimal cap savings and an enormous dead cap hit.

Just have to hope Tomlinson turns it around in '23.

Tomlinson had a out this offseason. It wouldn’t have lead to any cap savings but a huge cash saving. Plus in life, sometimes you have to wash your hands and take things at their sunk cost. Some teams get rid of good players a year to early. In this case we would been getting rid of a high price average player a year in advance. For all we know, that money could have been used to seal the deal on Orlando Brown. 

32 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

I didn't say that -- I said I didn't like the idea of using TWO rookie O-linemen out of the gate. 

Even among those who become really good, so many are just-ok (and some not even that) as rookies.

Apologies for mis-stating your view.

32 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Time will tell, but I think you think more highly of other teams' O-linemen than the Jets' because their QBs hide flaws so much more effectively. That's not even factoring the injuries; if they suffer through 2021 & 2022 type OL injuries tbh none of it matters anyway. 

This is a point several people have made.  That Rodgers will improve the O-line, rather than the O-line causing Rodgers to decline.

I guess we'll see.  

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Warfish said:

Center before the 4th/5th just fell off the table.  If Wypler falls to the 5th (doubtful) I could maybe see him there now.

Disappointed honestly, McGovern isn't terribly good, and O-line is shaping up to be as bad, and as unreliable health-wise, as it was last year.

WR at #13 may be more of a possibility than I previously thought, seeing this.

More and more I think JD thinks the Oline is fine as-is, and it's not in need of material upgrade.  i.e. "The Jets have always believed this group is better than it showed last year".

Probably thinks they just need to stay healthy.  I think he's wrong, but it's his job on the line, not mine.

/shrug

McGovern hasn't missed a game because of injury, and he was a middle of the road option.  It now gives us options for where we get a center.

And this O-line might not be as bad as everyone is thinking if everyone is healthy.  We shall see though!

34 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

Neither Mangold nor Brick were ever elite.

Both 10 year starters.  Both almost never missed a game in ten years.

Mangold, 7 time pro bowler, 3 times all pro

DBrick 3 time pro bowler, essential missed one snap in his career.

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Really good centers have helped transform some lines, Eagles and Kansas city.  Although you might not need and elite Center you 100% cannot afford to have a terrible center.

The last time the New York jets were relevant they had an eltie center and an elite LT.

I really wanted Humphrey that year. Elijah Moore instead.

Could've taken the trade back with SF and taken Micah Parsons/Devonta Smith - or stood pat and taken Chase. Christian Darrisaw at 23 - LT wouldn't be a headache. Humphrey at 35 - center solved. Team would be quite different right now.

Kansas City actually passed Humphrey at 58 (Nick Bolton) to take him at 63. League just really missed on him. 

Kelce a sixth round pick I believe. Can get centers later.

Think the ones who are game changers are plus plus athletes because you can do different stuff with them in the run game. Stromberg and Wypler tested the best athletically this year. Tippmann didn't test but I think he's a good athlete. Either Stromberg or Wypler would be cool if they're there day three and the Jets want to develop someone - Stromberg probably has more position versatility if that's something they value (which I think they do).

I kind of wonder if they wanted to see if they were cool with Tippmann or JMS figuring they could get one at 42/43 but they really found they thought Tippmann, Stromberg, and Wypler were the best fits for the scheme so figured they should have a contingency plan in place if this ended up being a day three thing and someone wasn't ready right away.

That said, I think they've got 5 iOL who are good bets to be rostered right now, so we'll see if they're willing to carry ten for the sake of developing a center next year or of someone like Colon gets the axe in favor of a draft pick.

2 hours ago, derp said:

Agree. But at this point, three years into their career, Wirfs vs. Becton looks pretty one sided.

Tough to argue that.  However, I could make the case that, when on the field, Becton's tape pretty good too (Wirfs was better), and LT at the pro level is harder to master than RT.  I'm waiting to see if Wirfs can continue to play at an all-pro level if Tampa goes ahead and shifts him to the left side with Mayfield.

4 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Both 10 year starters.  Both almost never missed a game in ten years.

Mangold, 7 time pro bowler, 3 times all pro

DBrick 3 time pro bowler, essential missed one snap in his career.

Being a 10 year starter that never missed a game doesn't make you elite. It makes you good, and very reliable.

D'Brick will never be a HOF'r.

Mangold has an outside shot one day. 

Elite is a subjective term. To me, elite means best of the best - first ballot HOF type players. If not first ballot not long after.

29 minutes ago, Warfish said:

This is a point several people have made.  That Rodgers will improve the O-line, rather than the O-line causing Rodgers to decline.

I guess we'll see.  

Honestly, new system and Rodgers knows all the blitz calls. With the OL depth, whomever picks them up best will likely pay.

2 minutes ago, peekskill68 said:

Tough to argue that.  However, I could make the case that, when on the field, Becton's tape pretty good too (Wirfs was better), and LT at the pro level is harder to master than RT.  I'm waiting to see if Wirfs can continue to play at an all-pro level if Tampa goes ahead and shifts him to the left side with Mayfield.

Yup. I think the Jets just kind of needed players at that point, they'd brought in Fant to not box themselves into needing a LT as opposed to putting Conklin on the right side which kept Wirfs on the table, and I think in the draft that early you kind of want to just hit line drives and see if something goes over the fence.

Wirfs was a line drive. Plus-plus athlete, good player at Iowa, played an easier position to translate at. That was the Sauce Gardner at #4 layup. Becton was swinging out of your shoes to try to hit something out of the stadium, not unlike the Zach Wilson pick honestly. Freaky athlete at a size you don't usually see. But there were also legitimate concerns - being that big also puts pressure on joints and stuff (which is why tackles usually max around 330), and there were some focus concerns. We've seen a little of all the reasons he was risky.

Good right tackles are valuable, too. Look what Philly's done with Lane Johnson holding down that spot making good money for a decade.

I have been busy today, but from my perspective:

• The Jets don't think they are picking a C at 13, and I think they think they are picking at 13.  I don't see them reaching for a T.  
  • The Jets are either assuming they are trading one of the 2nd round picks, and they see the remaining 2nd round pick as filling a defensive hole (in which there are many).
  • 4th round is 4th round.  Look at the history of players the Jets picked in the 4th round.  Don't know how much we can count on that.
  • JD has to start drafting OL in the lower rounds and develop them.  The Eagles had OL drafted lower.  The Jets' OL are either expensive FA or first round draft picks.    The Broncos drafted CM in the fifth round.  Hopefully they can find some OL in the lower rounds, but I am not seeing it this year.  I think he hunts for defenders.  Did not really work last time.  
  • I am expecting to see a different draft by JD.  I think he is filling holes.  He is not drafting for the future.  He is drafting for now.  

3 hours ago, JetPotato said:

You haven't put out facts, you've put out something you made up. It's inaccurate. AKA a lie.

The average C salary is higher than:  G, RB, FB, TE, CB, S.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/positional/

So yeah. There's no debating, you're just wrong.

I see you edited this. Good try. 

I exported some data to excel. 

the average salary of the top 32

G is 9,615,821

C is 5,874,980

TE is 8,333,665

CB is 12,878,696

Safety is 10,936,563

you keep missing the part of that link you showed is that those positions usually have multiple backups where as center has one at most (many teams use a guard to backup center) 

35 minutes ago, BurntDice said:

I see you edited this. Good try. 

I exported some data to excel. 

the average salary of the top 32

G is 9,615,821

C is 5,874,980

TE is 8,333,665

CB is 12,878,696

Safety is 10,936,563

you keep missing the part of that link you showed is that those positions usually have multiple backups where as center has one at most (many teams use a guard to backup center) 

Keep on derpin'

8 hours ago, C Mart said:

Just a thought with this....Now Joe can stay at 13, if an OT is there (Jones?).  He can now move down from 42 & try to recoup the 3rd rounder that went to Cleveland...Possibly use that on a Center (Wypler?)

A trade down seems very likely. I was all in on OT originally but I don't think they are going to do it.

4 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

I didn't say that -- I said I didn't like the idea of using TWO rookie O-linemen out of the gate. 

Even among those who become really good, so many are just-ok (and some not even that) as rookies. 

Time will tell, but I think you think more highly of other teams' O-linemen than the Jets' because their QBs hide flaws so much more effectively. That's not even factoring the injuries; if they suffer through 2021 & 2022 type OL injuries tbh none of it matters anyway. 

And just maybe instead of being behind much of the time when the others teams defense can eliminate much of the Jets game plan the OL can play better if we score points and are not put into the situation where other teams just pin their ears back .......Also Rogers has seen every possible defense and scheme compared to the mess we had at QB last year.......And how nice would it be to actually score points and give the D the chance to do to other teams what they have been doing to us with the horrible QB play we have endured for years.......

• Upvote 1