Jets resign Mcgovern

I think he's mediocre at best, but as others have said maybe having a competent QB will raise the O-line's play.

I do wonder if they put AVT at RT, and then someone like Steve Avila is a possibility in round 2. Put him a guard for a year, then switch to center later on if need be.

That would open up a lot more possibilities for round 1.

3 hours ago, Warfish said:

I think Sperm Edwards nailed it, with Rodgers inbound, JD simply isn't going to put Rodgers behind any rookie O-lineman.

And JD, like so many GM's, think's "his guys" are really secretly better and reliable than they've ever show themselves to be in actual gameplay....

This seemed to be echoed by Connor Rogers in some tweets today when he said that the Jets were surprised they could get McGovern back and that they thought there would be a significant market for him in free agency.  It's clear that the rest of the league simply didn't see McGovern the way that JD does.

3 hours ago, Warfish said:

IMO we're desperate for multiple upgrades on the O-line, and they're health is 100% our single biggest team risk going into a Rodgers-led 2023 now.

It looks like we won't get any new/drafted upgrades at all, and will thus risk seeing Rodgers run around like a chicken with no head just like Zach did so many times last year.

JD's gambling alot on this one.

I'm still expecting one OL pick in the first two rounds, and likely a later, developmental type pick at OG/C sometime on Day 3.  McG and Tomlinson will continue to be guys that the Jets want to replace.  Honestly, AVT is the only current IOL that should still be starting on this team in 2024.

• Upvote 2

15 minutes ago, BurntDice said:

I put out facts to back up my stance. You have opinion. 

Center is the lowest AAV position in the league minus special teams. There’s no debating where their value lies. 

They don’t require the same kind of draft capital either.

Which is how the Jets got Mangold at the end of round 1 and Ravens got Linda-baum where they did.

For a QB like Rodgers, he’ll do it himself, but I think Mangold used to call out the protections pre-snap for Sanchez and make sure everybody on the line was on the same page.

The center-QB exchange is also kind of important.

Just Google “Spencer long Jets” or “Bills Vikings fumbled snap”.

2 minutes ago, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

They don’t require the same kind of draft capital either.

Which is how the Jets got Mangold at the end of round 1 and Ravens got Linda-baum where they did.

For a QB like Rodgers, he’ll do it himself, but I think Mangold used to call out the protections pre-snap for Sanchez and make sure everybody on the line was on the same page.

The center-QB exchange is also kind of important.

Just Google “Spencer long Jets” or “Bills Vikings fumbled snap”.

As stated previously in this thread yes of course having a terrible player at center will be very bad (just like all other positions)

the difference is that having a good/great center vs other positions the impact is much lower 

2 hours ago, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

still draft Tippman.

Hughes keeps saying McGovern is good.

Mike White’s ribs might beg to differ.

And apparently the rest of the league thinks he sucks too.

Rodgers instead of White or Wilson will do wonders for the offensive line in protection. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Larz said:

First domino?  43 going to packers so can’t draft a C?  (DT at 42)

I would not read THAT much into this. 

Its great that the Jets signed a vet C BEFORE the draft. I was expecting the to do that either right after or just before. There's no way they were going into the season with a just a rookie C and no legitimate depth. I know some would have preferred Ben Jones, but I like bringing back McGovern. He is more durable and has more chemistry/experience playing with the current guys we have on the line. 

However, much like the OT position, I still think the Jets will be looking to draft a Center for depth this year and for the immediate future. They seem to really like JMS and I think that is their target in Rd. 2. Assuming one of our and round picks goes to GB for Rodgers, as boring as it may sound, we may very well see Broderick Jones at 13 and JMS at 42/43. 

• Upvote 1

38 minutes ago, Rhg1084 said:

First of all center is the least important position on the field. Secondly, where are we getting this “elite” center from? Mcgovern is more than serviceable 

Any position is as important or unimportant as the quality of the player.  while mangold was there, it was a very important position.  when mcgovern is in there, not so important.

and i'd say that any and every single draft has the raw materials in rounds 4,5,6 & 7 for top notch interior offensive lineman, IF you have good scouts and subsequently, good coaches.

• Upvote 2

16 minutes ago, Rhg1084 said:

Lol if Center is so important how come they dont get picked in the 1st round? 

Lol just playing around. They're important....just not a "premium" position such as QB/OT/EDGE/WR/CB

Look at the 2 super bowl teams this year...2 stud Centers. 

I'd argue that they the list below is where Centers would be ranked, in the middle but certainly not the bottom.

• QB
  • OT
  • EDGE
  • WR
  • CB
  • IDL
  • TE
  • C
  • OG
  • ILB
  • SAFETY
  • RB
  • K
  • P
  • FB

3 hours ago, derp said:

Wow. Nice they won’t be boxed into taking a center. Contract details will be interesting.

Tippmann if he’s there in the second, Stromberg or Wypler in the fourth if he’s not?

My preference & the Jets can use their 2nd rd picks on more needed positions. 

• Upvote 1

46 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

It’s a very deep C class, so I’d argue that any chance you can a 1st round talent in the middle of the 2nd round, for one of the most important positions on the OL, who can be 10 year+ player, you take it.  That being said, I get what you are saying.

Be assured, you don't have to convince ME, :)  

I was all-in on OT at #13, and Center (and LB/DT) with the two 2nds.

I just think JD's move on McGovern doesn't actually bring flexibility for picks, I think it changes the draft priority completely, taking Center out of the picture till late.

46 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

As for McGovern, I have always been in the camp that the QBs under center, along with the injuries across the line, are responsible for some of his negative plays.  I can only speak for myself, but we’ll see.

A sentiment expressed by many, and surely true to some degree.

What that degree is, I presume we're going to find out.

• Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, TheClashFan said:

JD might still go C early instead of OT. McGovern is supposedly a better G than C, so if injuries do strike OT again, AVT could slide outside and McGovern to G.

We might know more when the contract numbers come out. If it is a short and/or cheap deal, he's viewed as a stop-gap to someone younger and better.

I don't think you have to wait for the contract numbers. Its clear he is a 'stop-gap' and not a long term solution. Even if he is signed for as long as 3 years, there will be an out and odds are the Jets will be ready to cut him next year if they are able to get their guy in this year's draft. But I am expecting this to be a 1 year 'prove-it' deal so he can potentially improve his play and hit FA to get better/longer deal next year (most likely from  someone else).  

But McGovern has experience with this o-line, he is durable and he can play G if need be. This is a good signing and the Jets should (and will) still look for a long term solution at C in the draft. 

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Adoni Beast said:

Lol just playing around. They're important....just not a "premium" position such as QB/OT/EDGE/WR/CB

Look at the 2 super bowl teams this year...2 stud Centers. 

I'd argue that they the list below is where Centers would be ranked, in the middle but certainly not the bottom.

• QB
  • OT
  • EDGE
  • WR
  • CB
  • IDL
  • TE
  • C
  • OG
  • ILB
  • SAFETY
  • RB
  • K
  • P
  • FB

RB, ILB, and Guards all get picked in the 1st rd and paid more than centers tho. 

3 minutes ago, Warfish said:

I just think JD's move on McGovern doesn't actually bring flexibility for picks, I think it changes the draft priority completely, taking Center out of the picture till late.

Eh, this feels extremely short-sighted to me. And JD does not strike me as a short-sighted guy. I think he is looking big picture and understands that regardless of being able to plug the massive hole at C with a FA vet, the Jets still need a long term solution and should address it in the draft.

I just can't imagine they did all of this scouting, met with JMS 4 times (COM, PRI, WOR, PRO) and will pass on him if he is there in Rd. 2 because they signed McGovern right before the draft. I mean, the only way I see that making sense is if they saw some worrying things from JMS and I can't imagine what that could be that they would not have already known (if that makes sense- sry for the wording). They've looked at him closer than any other prospect. Its the worst kept secret that they are interested. 

And I agree, I don't think it brings that much flexibility, but I disagree as to why. I still think JD is looking to address OT and C early and the McGovern signing will not have a major impact on the draft. I actually think JD was planning to bring in a vet C who he did not have to overpay for all along, and probably preferred not to wait until the last minute before the draft, but that is how it worked out.    

• Upvote 1

58 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

That wasn't on McGovern. It was a delayed 6 man blitz. LB delayed until McG committed to a double team and the RB committed to the first blitzer. Good design and if anyone it was on White to get rid of it quicker.

And if anyone disagrees they can just ask McG who will confirm it wasn't his fault ??

4 minutes ago, PepPep said:

Eh, this feels extremely short-sighted to me. And JD does not strike me as a short-sighted guy. I think he is looking big picture and understands that regardless of being able to plug the massive hole at C with a FA vet, the Jets still need a long term solution and should address it in the draft.

I just can't imagine they did all of this scouting, met with JMS 4 times (COM, PRI, WOR, PRO) and will pass on him if he is there in Rd. 2 because they signed McGovern right before the draft. I mean, the only way I see that making sense is if they saw some worrying things from JMS and I can't imagine what that could be that they would not have already known (if that makes sense- sry for the wording). They've looked at him closer than any other prospect. Its the worst kept secret that they are interested. 

And I agree, I don't think it brings that much flexibility, but I disagree as to why. I still think JD is looking to address OT and C early and the McGovern signing will not have a major impact on the draft. I actually think JD was planning to bring in a vet C who he did not have to overpay for all along, and probably preferred not to wait until the last minute before the draft, but that is how it worked out.    

Why is it that you can't imagine that they found something worrying?  They like the prospect, but when you look closely at a prospect you should be finding out the bad as well as the good.  Even if all they found out was "he won't be as good as McGovern" that seems enough to pass on him the 2nd. 

Do we know how much McGovern is getting paid?  My guess all along is that they had offers to all the guys they like out there.  This is how you play the comp pick game.  Let your guys test the waters.  Make them lowish shortish, fairish offers..  If they get big deals they might net comp picks.  If not, then you can have them back without hamstringing the team.  I imagine they have such an offer out to Kwon Alexander and probably had one to Rankins.  Not sure about Fant since tehre seemed to be some bad blood and they have plenty of crappy tackles already, but maybe.  I would bet there are some other vets that fit the comp formula they have - if you're still on the street offers out to.  Guys like Campbell and OBJ were cut so they can make offers to them now.

2 hours ago, LAD_Brooklyn said:

I know Douglas is to stubborn to admit any mistakes. But what he should have done was cut Tomlinson, re-sign McGovern. Then go into the draft with flexibility of signing either a guard or center as McGovern primary position use to be RG. 

Cutting Tomlinson this offseason would not have been possible.  He'd provide minimal cap savings and an enormous dead cap hit.

Just have to hope Tomlinson turns it around in '23.

52 minutes ago, NIGHT STALKER said:

I'm reading that this was a very good signing, he's solid and on and on.  If he was as good as many on here think he is, why wasn't he picked up...especially if the Jets thought he would sign for BIG MONEY elsewhere?

Here ?  I’d say it’s a mixed reaction 

2 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Disagree that center is a pass/fail. You can muddle through with a marginal one (as McGovern was/is), a bad one will kill you (Ryan Kalil), but a top center can make your offense elite. The two best centers in football played in the Super Bowl last year. The Jets have to aim higher.

The Jets also had Kevin Mawae and Nick Mangold over a 2 decade period and didn't win d**k.  

There's a reason why the top C makes roughly what the average starting LT makes.

4 hours ago, Warfish said:

I think Sperm Edwards nailed it, with Rodgers inbound, JD simply isn't going to put Rodgers behind any rookie O-lineman.

And JD, like so many GM's, think's "his guys" are really secretly better and reliable than they've ever show themselves to be in actual gameplay....

IMO we're desperate for multiple upgrades on the O-line, and they're health is 100% our single biggest team risk going into a Rodgers-led 2023 now.

It looks like we won't get any new/drafted upgrades at all, and will thus risk seeing Rodgers run around like a chicken with no head just like Zach did so many times last year.

JD's gambling alot on this one.

I didn't say that -- I said I didn't like the idea of using TWO rookie O-linemen out of the gate. 

Even among those who become really good, so many are just-ok (and some not even that) as rookies. 

Time will tell, but I think you think more highly of other teams' O-linemen than the Jets' because their QBs hide flaws so much more effectively. That's not even factoring the injuries; if they suffer through 2021 & 2022 type OL injuries tbh none of it matters anyway. 

• Upvote 2

Really good centers have helped transform some lines, Eagles and Kansas city.  Although you might not need and elite Center you 100% cannot afford to have a terrible center.

The last time the New York jets were relevant they had an eltie center and an elite LT.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, BurntDice said:

I put out facts to back up my stance. You have opinion. 

Center is the lowest AAV position in the league minus special teams. There’s no debating where their value lies. 

You haven't put out facts, you've put out something you made up. It's inaccurate. AKA a lie.

The average C salary is higher than:  G, RB, FB, TE, CB, S.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/positional/

So yeah. There's no debating, you're just wrong.

5 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Really good centers have helped transform some lines, Eagles and Kansas city.  Although you might not need and elite Center you 100% cannot afford to have a terrible center.

The last time the New York jets were relevant they had an eltie center and an elite LT.

Neither Mangold nor Brick were ever elite.

5 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

Neither Mangold nor Brick were ever elite.

I have to vehemently disagree with this statement. Brick no. But Mangold was absolutely elite. 7 time pro bowl selection. Top 2 centers in football in the decade he played in. 

• Upvote 2