Aaron Rodgers traded to the New York Jets

1 minute ago, David Harris said:

Don’t we have to cut someone to clear some space to make this official?

If we really are going to keep Cory Davis, then I think Whitehead may be a goner

Davis and whitehead might restructure, Q could get extended, but yeah they might get cut.  A trade would be nice lol 

• Upvote 1

In Wake of Aaron Rodgers Trade, Jets Fans Shouldn’t Feel As Tortured As They Claim to Be

Sure, this team has had some moments of uniquely strange aggravation. But its fans just haven’t had it as bad as they’d like you to believe

1 hour ago

You are reading your 1 Of 4 free premium articles 

Much like Christopher Meloni or Jason Statham, Jets fans have made a wonderful living playing the same character for decades. Their franchise’s lack of relative success and semiregular occurrence of some strange outlier event (take your pick, as I’ve skipped Thanksgiving to watch a butt fumble, called the home phone of a strength coach who tripped an opposing player and watched my innocent mensch of a sports editor read about a coach’s bedroom preferences on the internet) has afforded them the performative space to call up talk radio stations and flood social media with their musings on how collectively aggrieved they’ve been. 

Most of the time, it’s borderline charming. There is something romantic about the idea of loving something that never quite manages to return your affection. But in the case of Jets fans, especially on a day that they’ve acquired Aaron Rodgers in one of the most monumental moments in franchise history, it’s also completely misguided and delusional. 

Sure, the Jets’ fan base has not won a Super Bowl since Joe Namath was under center, but that doesn’t mean they have not been catered to like an emotionally short-circuited teenager over the past 20 years in a desperate attempt to earn their affection. 

Aaron Rodgers edited into a Jets No. 8 jersey

Get used to seeing Rodgers in a new green jersey

Patrick McDermott/Getty Images

Admittedly, I feel the boomer slowly crawling out of me like the chestburster in Alien, but it’s high time I embrace it. Today of all days, it’s time to end the act. They’ve had it pretty damn good. I don’t want to hear any more complaining. 

It’s fair to argue that the Jets have had the most exciting coach (Rex Ryan) in the NFL over the past two decades. Their owner, Woody Johnson, boarded a plane in the middle of a work week to beg Darrelle Revis not to hold out before the season opener. Imagine having billions of dollars and allowing someone who isn’t a king or world leader to redirect your time and energy, and he did it willingly (when I make my first billion, just try to interrupt the planning of a spur-of-the-moment trip to the Maldives, I dare you). They signed some of the best and biggest-named free agents in the NFL over that time period—Santonio Holmes, Plaxico Burress, Le’Veon Bell, Bart Scott, LaDainian Tomlinson, Brandon Marshall. They traded for Brett Favre. 

Each and every time there was a head coach opening, they went out and got the hottest assistant, one of the biggest names on the market. At the time of Todd Bowles’s hiring (2015), the Cardinals and the Bruce Arians tree were being intellectually pilfered. Before Jets fans allowed their own twisted martyrdom to bend the narrative on Adam Gase (hired in ’19), he was a good coach with options (and, I would still argue, would have been a fine head coach had his roster not been torpedoed). 

So what if none of it has worked out? Would you rather be a Lions fan? Try throwing on burgundy and yellow on a random Sunday and trudging your way to that stadium in suburban Virginia. See how that feels. Would you rather your football life resemble the pace and excitement level of Lincoln? 

The signing of Rodgers should put to rest this idea that Jets fans’ pain has been unique or any worse than the bottom third of the NFL since 2000. The Jets have the eighth-worst record of any franchise during that time but have made it to a pair of AFC title games, back to back. The owner hopped on a plane again, this time to convince one of the league’s most empowered and mercurial minds to leave a future of complete freedom and leisure—the room to talk on literally any podcast he wants—to live in northern New Jersey. I’m here right now trying to get to the other side of a two-lane highway via some hellscape of a jug-handle pull-off while getting middle-fingered by speeding truck drivers desperately trying to escape this paved nightmare. I’ll let you know how it goes over the two hours it will take to complete this three-mile journey. 

This is a golden moment for the Jets, and if it doesn’t work out, it doesn’t work out. That’s how life works. But don’t plaster past failures of the franchise over this decision and act like it was inevitable; like this was bound to happen to your tortured soul as a Jets fan. 

The Jets have put together a competent group of coaches and executives to pave the way for this moment. They got you a general manager from the Ravens and Eagles tree, unquestionably the most studied front offices in the NFL. They got you a coach from the Kyle Shanahan tree, which is harder to get right now than a pair of Nike Vapor Flys. 

Now, you have Rodgers, one of the greatest quarterbacks in NFL history. As has really been true for the past couple of decades or so, it could absolutely be worse.

• Sympathy 2

4 minutes ago, David Harris said:

Don’t we have to cut someone to clear some space to make this official?

If we really are going to keep Cory Davis, then I think Whitehead may be a goner

They are reworking the contract first, Packers are taking on more money... I bet the cap hit is extremely low this year and pretty low next year too.

This is why the trade had to get done today... because GB needs to hold the revised contract for 24 hours before they trade him.

• Upvote 2

25 minutes ago, Rhg1084 said:

It’s essentially pick 42 this year and a late first rd pick next year. All things considered that’s not too bad for a starving franchise who hasn’t been to the playoffs in 13 years. Jets just landed an all time great QB who will put them in the hunt for a Super Bowl 

Dont say this.......it will mess with too many peoples misery.

2 minutes ago, doitny said:

yes but that was supposed to be a 1st if Rodgers got us to a AFCCG or SB not if Rodgers plays 65% of this year. so its like the article said 99% a 1st rd pick. and there is no protection on if he retires next year. no picks coming back if he does. and everyone has been reporting that for weeks.

so yes he caved in. 

You have no idea what the original deal the Jets and Packers agreed to was. Its more likely the Jets swapping a 6th for a 5th this year since it was never mentioned in any trade rumors, plus getting the Packers to pay more of his contract is what got the deal done. The rest has probably been in place since March. Caving means the Jets offered a 3rd this year and next year and then made this trade

Just now, Butterfield said:

I don’t see any good deals to be found on that list that the Jets really need.  Especially that will cost tens of millions.  

And if Rodgers costs the Jets Less then 15 million over the next 2 years is that still a loss?

• More Ugh 1

24 minutes ago, southparkcpa said:

That sounds great but historically... I can't think of  team that traded for a QB over the age of 35 and it worked out well. Maybe the Broncos with Peyton but after that the Bronco's fell like a rock. So there is 1.  Are there others?  Good teams build through the draft and develop players. 

Excellent point.

Problem is is that this team just can’t pick QB’s.  Just to think of how brutal busting on Darnold at 3, and then drafting Steve Sax at 2 a few years later is.  Wilson being pulled on National TV, with still an outside shot at the playoffs, for a Canadian QB who can’t throw a spiral, was one of the saddest things I’ve ever seen in regard to the Jets QB drafting prowess.

Woody Johnson can’t just wait to see if the next one drafted turns into “The One”.  Odds way too long.

I’m ok with rolling the dice and having a shot at winning it all this year and maybe next.

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, Skeptable said:

They are reworking the contract first, Packers are taking on more money... I bet the cap hit is extremely low this year and pretty low next year too.

This is why the trade had to get done today... because GB needs to hold the revised contract for 24 hours before they trade him.

Do you have a source for that info about the Packers taking on more money? That’d be great. They’re already taking on more than $40 million of dead money.

1 hour ago, MichaelScott said:

I hope all the Rogers cheerleaders enjoy that one and done wildcard game as a nice interlude before we regress to a 4 win for the foreseeable future. 

well then the draft junkies here can start researching top QBs in the 2025 draft...so that's a win!!!

25 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

lol the headline of the article will garner lots of comments from the sunshine squad but it is correct, even thought the jets got their guy they caved big time.

the headline is silly because it isn't public knowledge what the packers actual demands were. it's an opinion headline

3 minutes ago, Skeptable said:

And if Rodgers costs the Jets Less then 15 million over the next 2 years is that still a loss?

Its not my money, and all the big free agents are already gone this year.  If he doesn’t play more than 3 or 4 years and in that time the Jets don’t win a super bowl, this trade is a bust.  

25 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

The guy that was 90% retired a month ago?

You think there is "no way" he's retiring?

IMO - it is FAAAR more likely he retires than he doesn't.

I don’t believe that 90% BS. He was never retiring, leaving that type of money on the table.

• Post of the Week 2