### The Official Draft Day One Discussion Thread ###

Maxman

1 hour ago, football guy said:

I'm lit lol. They had 5 picks that year, spent 2 on later-round OL. We have 5 this year, and they had their sights set on leaving the draft with 2 OL. 

Okay.

I just think more “swings” improves the odds of getting hits. I think that’s what’s not coming across.

I am with you, though, on grabbing later round guys. There’s no immediate plug-and-play need on OL. We need investment thinking, not desperation.

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, Guilhermezmc said:

If both are there would think the Jets would go with Mauch over JMS?

I honestly don't know their order. I would guess Tippmann, Mauch, then JMS. Tippmann and Mauch offer you more versatility/upside and given that we re-signed CMG, you can afford to swing a little more. 

13 minutes ago, Scoop24 said:

dane bugler confirmed it 

They were not taking him. They may have had a 1st round grade on him like they did with Bijan, but my guess is that Gibbs was probably the 15th player on their board. It would've required both McDonald and Smith coming off the board before we picked to even consider selecting him 

2 hours ago, T0mShane said:

I see the draft bros all jerking off the Eagles for picking Nolan Smith and Jalen Carter, but how come nobody talks about how all these UGA defensive players suck out loud as pros? Who was the last decent one? Roquan?

Is Roquan even that good? I'm not being snarky; I honestly haven't seen enough of him to know.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Yeah that's just the most unlikely take on what happened, no matter how many say it out of frustration.

Lol at the idea that they crammed for the test and felt they didn't grade anyone past slot 13 until late last night. 

I was surprised by the position/pick as well, but the reality is when Green Bay was on the clock at #13 - before NE's trade-down - the Jets:

1. already knew Pittsburgh had been inquiring about moving up for at tackle (even into the top 10)
  2. had 3-4 starter-worthy tackles on the roster (even if AVT is actually the OT3)
  3. had no edge rushers capable of double digit sacks

You may hate the pick - you may even be right to hate it - but there's a legitimate reason behind it beyond the idea they simply got pantsed because they only had 14 prospects on their draft board & didn't know what to do at 15.

I forgot you had no sense of humor. It's been awhile. I didn't think the make a wish kid literally made the pick. I think we did get a bit thrown off when Jones went right before us. The pick might be great. I dunno. 

I mean we'll never know, but you think we couldn't trade back for the same player? I hope this dude is LT

22 minutes ago, SayNoToDMC said:

I forgot you had no sense of humor. It's been awhile. I didn't think the make a wish kid literally made the pick. I think we did get a bit thrown off when Jones went right before us. The pick might be great. I dunno. 

I mean we'll never know, but you think we couldn't trade back for the same player? I hope this dude is LT

No humor because posting here is serious business.

Quite obviously I took it as you thought Douglas had no plan, not that literally the kid reading off a card decided the pick for the Jets. I think everyone likely figured the same, too. 

They just weren't "OT or we don't know what to do" mode - or even nothing but offense - like many posters wanted. Was that the right thing to do? I don't know; I don't have any idea what these prospects will become.

3 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

No humor because posting here is serious business.

Quite obviously I took it as you thought Douglas had no plan, not that literally the kid reading off a card decided the pick for the Jets. I think everyone likely figured the same, too. 

They just weren't "OT or we don't know what to do" mode - or even nothing but offense - like many posters wanted. Was that the right thing to do? I don't know; I don't have any idea what these prospects will become.

Ridiculous nonsense. They had a draft board. They took next name on that board. To their credit, they really tried to trade out and used the entire clock.

They had practiced this exact scenario where all the OTs were off the board because it was a very really real scenario. They weren't caught off guard. They pivoted to plan B, period. Was it their preferred scenario? Probably not. But they didn't pull mcdonald out of a hat. They knew in the scenario that all OTs where gone (which again they rehearsed), it would be likely mcdonald was there. All of this is only a shock to those outside the building.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

12 minutes ago, Sammybighead said:

Ridiculous nonsense. They had a draft board. They took next name on that board. To their credit, they really tried to trade out and used the entire clock.

They had practiced this exact scenario where all the OTs were off the board because it was a very really real scenario. They weren't caught off guard. They pivoted to plan B, period. Was it their preferred scenario? Probably not. But they didn't pull mcdonald out of a hat. They knew in the scenario that all OTs where gone (which again they rehearsed), it would be likely mcdonald was there. All of this is only a shock to those outside the building.

Yeah agreed. I don't know that they had every tackle rated higher just because of scarcity in this draft. If best one in this draft ends up being the 4th-best one in a prior (or future) draft, then what's that about the 4th best one in this draft?

Hey maybe all 4 of these guys become damn solid tackles. History says that's pretty unlikely.

The other thing is tackle has to be really good or nothing. He's kind of a liability if he's good at one thing but terrible at another, because OLmen don't get rotated on & off.

If this guy is a phenom pass rusher but stinks at everything else, the DC can leverage that on D to exploit mismatches better than an OC who has to change a lot more of the offense to hide him. When this one needs to be "hidden" based on down & distance, they can just pull him off the field in favor of Clemons or someone more rounded who may just not be in his class as a pure edge rusher.

Hey I'd never heard of him (or at least 2 of the top 4 tackles) until last night, so what do I know about one over the other; I'm just gauging based on position alone. Generally I don't like hedging with upper-half 1st round picks, but if the class isn't very strong then I guess the rationale is take someone you think is at least great at something, and if it's at a premium position all the better. Of course that could've been said about WR, I'm sure, but time will tell on should-coulda.

30 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

If there’s any truth to the Jahmyr Gibbs interest, I wonder if they take a stab at Devon Achane tonight

Keaton Mitchell - East Carolia, 5th round or later.  Punt Carter down the depth chart.

Achane is really good to though, the guy is a weapon.

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, football guy said:

I honestly don't know their order. I would guess Tippmann, Mauch, then JMS. Tippmann and Mauch offer you more versatility/upside and given that we re-signed CMG, you can afford to swing a little more. 

They were not taking him. They may have had a 1st round grade on him like they did with Bijan, but my guess is that Gibbs was probably the 15th player on their board. It would've required both McDonald and Smith coming off the board before we picked to even consider selecting him 

its been confirmed by multiple people now..