Jets release Ogbuehi

O-line room was too crowded. Makes sense

Jets released OT Cedric Ogbuehi. 

They had just re-signed him before the draft, so apparently the Jets are happy with what they see out of Max Mitchell, Billy Turner, and Carter Warren early. Ogbuehi will try to find a different place to be functional tackle depth in 2023. 

• Upvote 2

Makes sense.  I think we all expected that to happen eventually after the Turner signing.  I'm guessing by the start of the season the depth chart would be:

LT: Becton; Brown; Warren

RT: Mitchell/Turner; Turner/Mitchell; Warren

Warren basically takes Ogbuehi's job as 3rd string swing tackle.  ...and yes, I see Becton taking the LT spot if he's healthy.  I think Brown is strictly Big Ticket insurance.  Either way though it's nice to have some actual depth this year.  

• Upvote 3

Kind of disappointed because I think he was as good of a guy as you can find that would stick around without having to be on the active roster.  They just had too many bodies and he deserves a chance to fight for a roster spot.  Good luck to him, but we have enough depth.  Hopefully some of it plays up to potential. 

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

Brown, Becton, Turner, Mitchell, Warren seem like a decent group. 

^^ agreed !  ?                      hopefully becton can stay healthy / not injured / on the field  ?   

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, jtomm said:

^^ agreed !  ?                      hopefully becton can stay healthy / not injured / on the field  ?   

We know how well he can play when he's healthy.  If someone told me right now that he'll play something like 16 out of 17 games this year I think I could almost guarantee 12 wins.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, bonkertons said:

Makes sense.  I think we all expected that to happen eventually after the Turner signing.  I'm guessing by the start of the season the depth chart would be:

LT: Becton; Brown; Warren

RT: Mitchell/Turner; Turner/Mitchell; Warren

Warren basically takes Ogbuehi's job as 3rd string swing tackle.  ...and yes, I see Becton taking the LT spot if he's healthy.  I think Brown is strictly Big Ticket insurance.  Either way though it's nice to have some actual depth this year.  

Lawson used Becton as a turnstile in exhibitions, before he got hurt, then he had a mediocre season against everyone else.  Big question whether Becton can stay with speed rushers.  Should be great at right tackle, with a TE to slow down that speed rusher.  AVT and Becton would provide an unstoppable running game, especially with Tippman pulling.

• Upvote 2

11 minutes ago, Flashlite80 said:

Lawson used Becton as a turnstile in exhibitions, before he got hurt, then he had a mediocre season against everyone else.  Big question whether Becton can stay with speed rushers.  Should be great at right tackle, with a TE to slow down that speed rusher.  AVT and Becton would provide an unstoppable running game, especially with Tippman pulling.

I still think it’s funny that people bring this up. Edges have a massive  advantage in shells. There’s not much contact so the ol can’t do much 

• Post of the Week 1

13 hours ago, Joe W. Namath said:

At quick glance I thought this was an Eric Ogbogu thread.

Oh THAT bastid, the only thing he is famous for is injuring our 1st round draft pick Santana Moss in practice and having him miss like half of his rookie season

2 hours ago, varjet said:

At the current time, it sounds like the Jets are in otherwise in good shape at T and don't need Ogbuehi.

I think the Jets are going to regret releasing him.  

Thinking Cedric asked for his release