DeAndre Hopkins Released And Then Played Great For the Titans Who Intelligently Signed Him. This is real life, not Madden.

8 hours ago, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

Because there is not a single receiver in the NFL at age 32 who produces at all. Receivers fall off a cliff at age 31-32.  A recent example is  Julio Jones. It starts with nagging injuries and then a drop in production.  Hopkins is already having availability issues. In fact, there are only 5 active receivers in the NFL currently who are 32 years old, and none are particularly effective.  The best is Thielen, and he is a limited possession receiver.  If that is the best you get from a 32 year old, do you want to pay Hopkins $15 million for 60 catches and 700 yards?  There are players on the Jets that can give you that for a lot less money.  

So you're projecting based on his age. Fwiw Hopkins had better per game numbers than Garrett Wilson last year.

Hopkins missed 6 games due to suspension last year. That's a lot different than injury.

We are talking about him replacing Corey Davis who has availability issues of his own, costs nearly as much and isn't nearly as good or productive.

• Upvote 1

Come on now guys. Want to say you don't want DHop for other reasons is fine... but to say he's not good anymore is just plain false. So choose something else on why you don't want him. Bc it just sounds stupid when someone says he isn't good.

• Upvote 4

14 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

What would you want to do with this extra space?  

It seems Hopkins is a massive upgrade over Davis.  I'm not sure the pushback from fans on having good players.

How much of an upgrade would DeAndre Hopkins be over C. Davis? Looking at 2019-2022.

Davis: 1 drop per 16 tgt
Hopkins: 1 drop per 80 tgt

Hopkins: 77 y/g 
Davis: 55 y/g

Hopkins: 17 TD
Davis: 11 TD

Hopkins: 6.3 rec/g
Davis: 3.6 rec/g

Davis: 15.4 ypc
Hopkins: 12.2 ypc

— Glenn Naughton (@JNRadio_Glenn) May 30, 2023

How many points per game is this giving anyone.  Points?  
Never mind we’re comparing a number 1 to a 2 who played in more of a passing game.  
I made a simple comment, what will Hopkins bring to the team for the cost involved.  Not that I wouldn’t take him but at what cost?  You gave me stats, a lot of which came when he was still in his 20’s.  This list answered nothing I asked:

$15+ million in cap space and a potential locker room problem.  
Now tell me what you know you’re getting over Davis at this point, especially if he’s shot?

4 hours ago, Barry McCockinner said:

So you're projecting based on his age. Fwiw Hopkins had better per game numbers than Garrett Wilson last year.

Hopkins missed 6 games due to suspension last year. That's a lot different than injury.

We are talking about him replacing Corey Davis who has availability issues of his own, costs nearly as much and isn't nearly as good or productive.

Yes. I'm projecting based on age and using history and comparable players.  Father Time never loses and NFL receivers get old after 30.  This is real life, not Madden.  Just take a look at some comparable players.

Julio Jones

• Age 29 - 16 games   113 receptions   1677 yards. 8 TD
  • Age 30 - 15 games.   99 receptions.   1394 yards. 6 TDs
  • Age 31 - 9 games.    51 receptions.     771 yards    3 TDs
  • Age 32 - 10 games   31 receptions     434 yards   1 TD

AJ Green

• Age 29 - 16 games    75 receptions   1078 yards    8 TDS
  • Age 30- 9 games     46 receptions     694 yards.  6 TDs
  • Age 31 - DNP Injured
  • Age 32. 16 games.    47 receptions.   523 yards   2 TDs

Hopkins

• Age 28 - 16 games    115 receptions    1407 yards.  6 TDs
  • Age 29.  10 games     42 receptions   527 yards.  8 TDs
  • Age 30.  9 games.    64 receptions.    717 yards   3 TDs

Want to fill in the age 31 and 32 seasons for Hopkins?  I would bet that they are very similar to the last two seasons for Jones and Green.  If you want to pay $30+ million over two years for that kind of production, I wish you were the Bills GM.  I'm not saying he wasn't good or very very good. I'm saying the odds are overwhelming that he won't be good going forward.  It's foolish to pay for past performance. A smart GM pays for future performance and it would appear pretty certain that Hopkins either plays and doesn't have more than 50 catches for 600 yards and a few TDs or that he misses half the season or more with an injury.  The Jets can get that or more from the players currently on the roster for a lot less money.  

If you disagree with my analysis, refute it with facts on other players in the last 10-15 years.  I'll wait.  You might find one or two that had good seasons at age 32 15-20 years ago, but nobody recently.  

• Upvote 1

49 minutes ago, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

Yes. I'm projecting based on age and using history and comparable players.  Father Time never loses and NFL receivers get old after 30.  This is real life, not Madden.  Just take a look at some comparable players.

Julio Jones

AJ Green

• Age 31 - DNP Injured

Hopkins

Want to fill in the age 31 and 32 seasons for Hopkins?  I would bet that they are very similar to the last two seasons for Jones and Green.  If you want to pay $30+ million over two years for that kind of production, I wish you were the Bills GM.  I'm not saying he wasn't good or very very good. I'm saying the odds are overwhelming that he won't be good going forward.  It's foolish to pay for past performance. A smart GM pays for future performance and it would appear pretty certain that Hopkins either plays and doesn't have more than 50 catches for 600 yards and a few TDs or that he misses half the season or more with an injury.  The Jets can get that or more from the players currently on the roster for a lot less money.  

If you disagree with my analysis, refute it with facts on other players in the last 10-15 years.  I'll wait.  You might find one or two that had good seasons at age 32 15-20 years ago, but nobody recently.  

Why not compare Hopkins to Corey Davis, who he'd be replacing? Then look at the per game numbers from 2022. Then watch each of them from last year.

After you do that, tell me which one you think makes the Jets offense better during the Aaron Rodgers window. I'd also like to know which one you think would fill in better as the #1 WR if, God forbid, Garrett Wilson missed significant time.

edit:

Top WR by yards each season, age 30+ (no data provided beyond 2020)

• 2020: Marvin Jones, 30, 978 yards (#19)
  • 2019: Julio Jones, 30, 1394 yards (#2)
  • 2018: Antonio Brown, 30, 1297 yards (#9)
  • 2017: Larry Fitzgerald, 34, 1155 yards (#8)
  • 2016: Jordy Nelson, 31, 1257 yards (#6)
  • 2015: Brandon Marshall, 31, 1502 (#4)

edit2:

• 2021: AJ Green, 33, 848 yards (#36) - if you count TE's Kelce, 32, 1125 (#14)
  • 2022: DeVante Adams, 30, 1516 (#2)
  • Upvote 3

12 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

Why not compare Hopkins to Corey Davis, who he'd be replacing? Then look at the per game numbers from 2022. Then watch each of them from last year.

After you do that, tell me which one you think makes the Jets offense better during the Aaron Rodgers window. I'd also like to know which one you think would fill in better as the #1 WR if, God forbid, Garrett Wilson missed significant time.

I agree with you and would take Hopkins over Davis 100 out of 100 times. It's not even close. 

However, one thing that we know from Saleh's past comments iis that the Jets consider Davis to be a terrific blocker in the run game and that is not Hopkins strength. I think the Jets like Davis more than we do, which is another reason I don't see this move happening (beyond Hopkins possibly not even wanting to come here). 

To me, I think you bring in the better WR for Rodgers and let your TEs block, but I'm not convinced the Jets agree. 

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

I agree with you and would take Hopkins over Davis 100 out of 100 times. It's not even close. 

However, one thing that we know from Saleh's past comments iis that the Jets consider Davis to be a terrific blocker in the run game and that is not Hopkins strength. I think the Jets like Davis more than we do, which is another reason I don't see this move happening (beyond Hopkins possibly not even wanting to come here). 

To me, I think you bring in the better WR for Rodgers and let your TEs block, but I'm not convinced the Jets agree. 

You don't keep and pay a WR 11.2mill to block. Especially when you have Lazard on the roster.

Blocking is a small portion of a WRs job. There job is to catch the ball.

• Upvote 4

24 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

So the Jets are going to pay Hopkins $30 million to replace Davis as the 3/4 receiver?   Do the Jets needs a high priced veteran as injury protection for all the key positions.?  Who is going to run the ball if Hall gets hurt again?  Let's get Dalvin Cook!   What if Conklin is hurt. Let's get Gronk out of retirement and give him $20 million.  Let's sign Bridgewater too to back up Rodgers.  Maybe the Jets should have traded for Ramsey in case Gardner is injured.  Am I leaving anyone out?  Is this baseball where you can go over the cap and just pay a luxury tax?  

I understand your concern but you are ignoring my main point, which is that receivers do not perform once they pass 30-31.  You still haven't named one who has recently.  You just want to continue on this Davis/Hopkins thing.  I could be wrong, but I don't think Hopkins is coming here to be the 3rd or 4th guy. 

12 minutes ago, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

So the Jets are going to pay Hopkins $30 million to replace Davis as the 3/4 receiver?   Do the Jets needs a high priced veteran as injury protection for all the key positions.?  Who is going to run the ball if Hall gets hurt again?  Let's get Dalvin Cook!   What if Conklin is hurt. Let's get Gronk out of retirement and give him $20 million.  Let's sign Bridgewater too to back up Rodgers.  Maybe the Jets should have traded for Ramsey in case Gardner is injured.  Am I leaving anyone out?  Is this baseball where you can go over the cap and just pay a luxury tax?  

I understand your concern but you are ignoring my main point, which is that receivers do not perform once they pass 30-31.  You still haven't named one who has recently.  You just want to continue on this Davis/Hopkins thing.  I could be wrong, but I don't think Hopkins is coming here to be the 3rd or 4th guy. 

Do you really think Hopkins is going to cost $30 million/year? Where does this figure come from? I saw Rappaport recently speculating he'd get a Michael Thomas type deal that's $10 mil per year base with incentives up to $15 mil. Seems perfectly reasonable to me. He'd be the #2 here, upgrade the WR corps as a whole and give us insurance if our #1 went down.

I posted a bunch of recent 30+ WR stats. Depends on the guy. I think Hopkins game not being overly reliant on speed helps his prospect of longevity.

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

Julio Jones

AJ Green

• Age 31 - DNP Injured

Hopkins

Want to fill in the age 31 and 32 seasons for Hopkins?  I would bet that they are very similar to the last two seasons for Jones and Green.  If you want to pay $30+ million over two years for that kind of production, I wish you were the Bills GM.  It's foolish to pay for past performance. A smart GM pays for future performance and the odds are pretty damn good that Hopkins either plays and doesn't have more than 50 catches for 600 yards and a few TDs or that he misses half the season or more with an injury.  The Jets can get that or more from the players currently on the roster for a lot less money.  

It's more than one or two. I stopped looking & guarantee I missed some names. 

No one disputes it's a young man's position, especially as guys who were reliant upon elite top-end speed lose a step that makes them ordinary when matching up against younger corners who run 4.3s and never get tired.

But it's a lot more than one or two...

1. Larry Fitzgerald immediately comes to mind. He'd have had even more seasons like his still-probowl age-32 season if not for serious QB problems just before it.
  2. Brandon Marshall had a great age-31 season & then a meh age-32 season, but his '16 QBs were between meh and useless all year long, too.
  3. Muhsin Muhammad had similar age 31-32 seasons himself. What's more noticeable about him & Marshall is they were also both coming off sub-800 yard seasons before a resurgence at age 31.
  4. Jordy Nelson missed his age-30 season outright & then had another probowl age-31 season, but was done after that (also in fairness Rodgers missed most of that season).
  5. In Green Bay before him, Donald Driver was still a 1000+ WR through his age 34 season.
  6. Derrick Mason through age 35 (we picked him up at age 37, lol).
  7. Hines Ward through age 33.
  8. Randy Moss through age 32.
  9. Jimmy Smith was still putting up 1000-1100 yard seasons through age 36 (1200-1400 for his age 31 & 32 seasons).
  10. Reggie Wayne was still very much a WR1 through age 34. His stats dipped at 33 in Indy's QB-less season, before bouncing back with rookie Luck. Was on pace for another 1200+ yard season at age 35 until a November ACL tear ended his season.
  11. Marvin Harrison was first team all-pro at age 34, and a mere probowler through his 30s before that.
  12. Joe Horn was still the ****ing man at age 32.
  13. Ditto Steve Smith (1450 rec/rush yds at age 32).
  14. Rod Smith was a beast at age 31-32. Still a probowler at 35, too.
  15. Terrell Owens was still one of the game's most elite WRs at age 34, and still very productive through age 37; he only stopped playing because no one wanted to put up with him in the locker room, huddle, or anywhere within earshot of his mouth.
  16. Joey Galloway showed what he'd been missing was even a halfass-worthy QB: when Chris Simms & Brian Griese split the season, the one-time fastest player in the league put up a 1300-yard, 10-TD season. At age 34.
  17. Terry Glenn stuck around Dallas long enough for them to go from garbage to Tony Romo, and his age 31 & 32 seasons were among his most productive.
  18. Anquan Boldin was still putting up good numbers outside of his 3 years in Baltimore (though Balt wasn't getting to or winning that '12 season SB without him).
  19. I was trying to stick with post-y2k seasons, but Henry Ellard was one of those ageless wonder types. Even more so for Cris Carter

I'm not even banging a drum to pick up Hopkins. tbh I don't think he's worth guaranteeing two more seasons at that money either; I don't think the Jets need him. But just saying, sometimes the special guys don't fall off a cliff. 

• Upvote 4

I’ve been on the fence about this lately. I was all about getting DHop. But then when I read he has issues committing himself and all that stuff, I got cold feet.

I think I would still get him. Don't know what the right contract is but 2 years at $15M per year seems reasonable. 

• Upvote 1

Character is one of the top attributes on who the Jets acquire and who they let go (Moore). Although Hopkins is an upgrade, he doesn’t want to be here and we apparently don’t want him. So this is all for nothing.

Though Davis and Mims are likely gone, it would be smart to pick up another decent WR. Hopefully we are inquiring with TB. 

57 minutes ago, GreenFish said:

I’ve been on the fence about this lately. I was all about getting DHop. But then when I read he has issues committing himself and all that stuff, I got cold feet.

I think I would still get him. Don't know what the right contract is but 2 years at $15M per year seems reasonable. 

Maybe he saw the Cardinals debating whether to put in a video game playing clause into Kyler Murray's enormous contract all offseason and was like "F*kkkkkk this."

• Haha 1

There is a reason why Houston let him go for barely a 2nd rd pick and Cardinals cut him.  

Talent: top tier
inuries/suspensions: f--k that
character/clubhouse persona: negatory.

case closed.  I like Hopkins.... but that wasfor  my fantasy football team and not for the Jets.

Jets seem to have zero (0) interest. Just forget this doosh already. 

• Upvote 3

6 hours ago, Dcat said:

There is a reason why Houston let him go for barely a 2nd rd pick and Cardinals cut him.  

Talent: top tier
inuries/suspensions: f--k that
character/clubhouse persona: negatory.

case closed.  I like Hopkins.... but that wasfor  my fantasy football team and not for the Jets.

Jets seem to have zero (0) interest. Just forget this doosh already. 

Houston traded him because their management is a dumpster fire and the cardinals seem to be tanking 

I have never heard of Hopkins being a bad guy off the field.  Rodgers would be the best qb he has ever played with

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, JETS SB said:

Character is one of the top attributes on who the Jets acquire and who they let go (Moore). Although Hopkins is an upgrade, he doesn’t want to be here and we apparently don’t want him. So this is all for nothing.

Though Davis and Mims are likely gone, it would be smart to pick up another decent WR. Hopefully we are inquiring with TB. 

Unfortunately I think the bucs are dumb enough to think they can win the nfc south with baker mayfield.  By week 4 or 5 mayfield will be benched and Evans and Godwin will both be available 

15 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

You don't keep and pay a WR 11.2mill to block. Especially when you have Lazard on the roster.

Blocking is a small portion of a WRs job. There job is to catch the ball.

We’ve been paying QBs for years to be “nice kids.”

On 6/2/2023 at 7:58 AM, Bobby816 said:

Come on now guys. Want to say you don't want DHop for other reasons is fine... but to say he's not good anymore is just plain false. So choose something else on why you don't want him. Bc it just sounds stupid when someone says he isn't good.

headcase,diva, can't separate, won't block in run game

no thanks

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, Jethead said:

headcase,diva, can't separate, won't block in run game

no thanks

He can separate and since he has the best hands in the league and is incredible in contested catches…. Separation doesn’t matter with him. Think it does? How does he have great year after great year then? We don’t need him to block, we have an OL, TEs and Lazard for that.

And about his personality…. He’s not a headcase. And let’s also take into consideration that he’s never ever played for a good team. So playing for a team that can win it all, changes people.

21 hours ago, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

Julio Jones

AJ Green

• Age 31 - DNP Injured

Hopkins

I was on board with a legit two year deal as recently as two days ago. But been reading and listening as much as possible about Hopkins and I just don’t think so anymore. Your post is legit.  

I would however be open to a one year deal that is an overpayment. Hopkins will be 31 this week. He will be highly motivated on a good team, one year deal playing on national tv a good number of times. I think we can squeeze one legit season out of him. 

Plus in big spots in the red zone I’m much more comfortable with Hopkins than Corey Davis.

If it’s a one year deal, it’ll cost us Corey Davis and several millions extra in cap space. For this year only. That’s not a big deal at all. 

On 6/2/2023 at 8:20 AM, JetPotato said:

Are we still talking about acquiring a player that we definitely are not acquiring? How bored are you people?

6 minutes ago, GangGreened said:

Pretty bored it seems.

Hopkins doesn’t want to play here, Saleh said they aren’t interested.

/thread

I mean feel free to, you know, not open the thread.

10 minutes ago, KINGDIRK said:

I was on board with a legit two year deal as recently as two days ago. But been reading and listening as much as possible about Hopkins and I just don’t think so anymore. Your post is legit.  

I would however be open to a one year deal that is an overpayment. Hopkins will be 31 this week. He will be highly motivated on a good team, one year deal playing on national tv a good number of times. I think we can squeeze one legit season out of him. 

Plus in big spots in the red zone I’m much more comfortable with Hopkins than Corey Davis.

If it’s a one year deal, it’ll cost us Corey Davis and several millions extra in cap space. For this year only. That’s not a big deal at all. 

Are there any spots where you're more comfortable with Davis than Hopkins? Aside from maybe a combine hotel room? I like your idea of a 1 year deal that's a slight overpay. The age argument is real, I just take exception with the idea that he's already washed up and can't separate or run or whatever.

12 minutes ago, KINGDIRK said:

Hopkins is not signing a one year deal.  He's likely going to get a 2-3 year deal at $12-15 per year. 

• Upvote 1

21 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

It's more than one or two. I stopped looking & guarantee I missed some names. 

No one disputes it's a young man's position, especially as guys who were reliant upon elite top-end speed lose a step that makes them ordinary when matching up against younger corners who run 4.3s and never get tired.

But it's a lot more than one or two...

1. Larry Fitzgerald immediately comes to mind. He'd have had even more seasons like his still-probowl age-32 season if not for serious QB problems just before it.
  2. Brandon Marshall had a great age-31 season & then a meh age-32 season, but his '16 QBs were between meh and useless all year long, too.
  3. Muhsin Muhammad had similar age 31-32 seasons himself. What's more noticeable about him & Marshall is they were also both coming off sub-800 yard seasons before a resurgence at age 31.
  4. Jordy Nelson missed his age-30 season outright & then had another probowl age-31 season, but was done after that (also in fairness Rodgers missed most of that season).
  5. In Green Bay before him, Donald Driver was still a 1000+ WR through his age 34 season.
  6. Derrick Mason through age 35 (we picked him up at age 37, lol).
  7. Hines Ward through age 33.
  8. Randy Moss through age 32.
  9. Jimmy Smith was still putting up 1000-1100 yard seasons through age 36 (1200-1400 for his age 31 & 32 seasons).
  10. Reggie Wayne was still very much a WR1 through age 34. His stats dipped at 33 in Indy's QB-less season, before bouncing back with rookie Luck. Was on pace for another 1200+ yard season at age 35 until a November ACL tear ended his season.
  11. Marvin Harrison was first team all-pro at age 34, and a mere probowler through his 30s before that.
  12. Joe Horn was still the ****ing man at age 32.
  13. Ditto Steve Smith (1450 rec/rush yds at age 32).
  14. Rod Smith was a beast at age 31-32. Still a probowler at 35, too.
  15. Terrell Owens was still one of the game's most elite WRs at age 34, and still very productive through age 37; he only stopped playing because no one wanted to put up with him in the locker room, huddle, or anywhere within earshot of his mouth.
  16. Joey Galloway showed what he'd been missing was even a halfass-worthy QB: when Chris Simms & Brian Griese split the season, the one-time fastest player in the league put up a 1300-yard, 10-TD season. At age 34.
  17. Terry Glenn stuck around Dallas long enough for them to go from garbage to Tony Romo, and his age 31 & 32 seasons were among his most productive.
  18. Anquan Boldin was still putting up good numbers outside of his 3 years in Baltimore (though Balt wasn't getting to or winning that '12 season SB without him).
  19. I was trying to stick with post-y2k seasons, but Henry Ellard was one of those ageless wonder types. Even more so for Cris Carter

I'm not even banging a drum to pick up Hopkins. tbh I don't think he's worth guaranteeing two more seasons at that money either; I don't think the Jets need him. But just saying, sometimes the special guys don't fall off a cliff. 

Other than Fitzgerald, none of those are recent.  So in the last 10 years, you found two - Fitzgerald and Marshall.  Marshall had a good season at age 31 in 2015 - 8 years ago.  In 2023, productive 31 -32 year old receivers do not exist.

11 minutes ago, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

Other than Fitzgerald, none of those are recent.  So in the last 10 years, you found two - Fitzgerald and Marshall.  Marshall had a good season at age 31 in 2015 - 8 years ago.  In 2023, productive 31 -32 year old receivers do not exist.

So you're putting money on neither DaVante Adams or Hopkins being productive in 2023?

Put some parameters around that and we'll do a charity bet big fella.

Seems like his market isn’t as robust as everyone thought… maybe he takes a one year prove it deal?

maybe this changes things with a lower asking price? I have a hard time just dipping my toe in the water, may as well dive in and go for this thing. Wilson, Hopkins, Lazard, and hardman is superior to the alternative. Especially with Rodgers throwing him the ball and Breece and co in the backfield.

IMG_6777.jpeg

• Upvote 1

• Barry McCockinner changed the title to DeAndre Hopkins Released And Then Played Great For the Titans Who Intelligently Signed Him. This is real life, not Madden.