our core in top 10

jtomm

ESPN ranks Jets' core group in top ten of league

Billy Riccette  - June 11, 2023 4:45 pm ET

One of the key components of building an NFL roster is filling out every spot as best you can, from 1-53. You have an even better chance when you can get that core group of players that bring out the best in the rest of the roster and make your team better as a whole.

The Jets are no different than the rest of the teams. They have the key core players that they hope will lead them on a deep playoff run this season, a season in which they are pushing all their chips into the middle of the table.That core also looks pretty strong. In fact, in a recent piece by ESPN’s Seth Walder, he ranked the roster cores for each team and the Jets checked in among the top ten at No. 8.

Note: the average age comes from the players’ ages on September 7, Opening Day of the NFL season when the Lions visit the Chiefs.

Roster core: QB Aaron Rodgers, CB Sauce Gardner, DT Quinnen Williams, WR Garrett Wilson, G Alijah Vera-Tucker

Average core age: 26.8

Questions will linger until the regular season regarding which version of Rodgers the Jets will get, but this group has unquestioned upside. Gardner is a true Defensive Player of the Year candidate, Wilson could easily ascend to a top-10 wide receiver after a strong rookie campaign and Williams is a top-five defensive tackle.

Very hard to argue that group being the Jets’ core and there’s no question they are the heart and soul now of the Jets. Obviously, the average age is bumped up because of Rodgers (turning 40 in December). The average age of the other four is 23.75. Not a bad group to have, especially in the loaded AFC.

>>  ESPN ranks Jets’ core group in top ten of league (usatoday.com)

• Upvote 3

Good find!

Take note of the core sample size (5), something we would have had a difficult time filling out from 2012 to 2021.  Exciting that the Jets 'core' is made up of the 2020-2021 NFL MVP, a couple 1st team 2022 All Pros, & studs like Garrett & AVT (IMO, future All Pros ... as early as 2023).

What's also exciting is the Jets next 5 (6-10), which other teams outside of Philly, San Fran & maybe the Bills / Dolphins would have trouble matching.

6. Breece Hall.  The runaway for 2022 Offensive Rookie of the Year before getting injured

7. DJ Reed.  In the discussion for best #2 CB in football.  Statistically, top 10 overall CB.

8. Michael Carter II.  In the discussion for top slot CB in football.

9. JFM.  An excellent run defender on the Edge and one of the league's best pure pass rushers on the Inside

10. Bryce Huff.  Top 2 rated Edge defenders in pressure & pass rush win rates.  Can he take 1 more step and convert pressures into double digit sacks?

• Post of the Week 1

It's nice the average age is 26.8 despite including old man Rodgers.

We'll ultimately need to get a real (young) QB to have sustained success, whether draft or otherwise. But we have some legitimately good young pieces to build around. When was the last time that happened? 2007? (Brick, Mangold, Revis, Harris, Leon, etc.)

4 hours ago, UntouchableCrew said:

It's nice the average age is 26.8 despite including old man Rodgers.

We'll ultimately need to get a real (young) QB to have sustained success, whether draft or otherwise. But we have some legitimately good young pieces to build around. When was the last time that happened? 2007? (Brick, Mangold, Revis, Harris, Leon, etc.)

I’m getting more and more faith that Zach is the future!! Arod will get his head straight and help him chill out. The jets will be the Patriots and Steelers of the past couple decades 

Thank you Joe Douglas Thank you 

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, jtomm said:

ESPN ranks Jets' core group in top ten of league

Billy Riccette  - June 11, 2023 4:45 pm ET

One of the key components of building an NFL roster is filling out every spot as best you can, from 1-53. You have an even better chance when you can get that core group of players that bring out the best in the rest of the roster and make your team better as a whole.

The Jets are no different than the rest of the teams. They have the key core players that they hope will lead them on a deep playoff run this season, a season in which they are pushing all their chips into the middle of the table.That core also looks pretty strong. In fact, in a recent piece by ESPN’s Seth Walder, he ranked the roster cores for each team and the Jets checked in among the top ten at No. 8.

Note: the average age comes from the players’ ages on September 7, Opening Day of the NFL season when the Lions visit the Chiefs.

Roster core: QB Aaron Rodgers, CB Sauce Gardner, DT Quinnen Williams, WR Garrett Wilson, G Alijah Vera-Tucker

Average core age: 26.8

Questions will linger until the regular season regarding which version of Rodgers the Jets will get, but this group has unquestioned upside. Gardner is a true Defensive Player of the Year candidate, Wilson could easily ascend to a top-10 wide receiver after a strong rookie campaign and Williams is a top-five defensive tackle.

Very hard to argue that group being the Jets’ core and there’s no question they are the heart and soul now of the Jets. Obviously, the average age is bumped up because of Rodgers (turning 40 in December). The average age of the other four is 23.75. Not a bad group to have, especially in the loaded AFC.

>>  ESPN ranks Jets’ core group in top ten of league (usatoday.com)

Rodgers has not played a single game for the Jets.  Williams is in a contract dispute/negotiation.  AVT is still not back on the field from injury.  Nice core. 

9 hours ago, OtherwiseHappyinLife said:

Good find!

Take note of the core sample size (5), something we would have had a difficult time filling out from 2012 to 2021.  Exciting that the Jets 'core' is made up of the 2020-2021 NFL MVP, a couple 1st team 2022 All Pros, & studs like Garrett & AVT (IMO, future All Pros ... as early as 2023).

What's also exciting is the Jets next 5 (6-10), which other teams outside of Philly, San Fran & maybe the Bills / Dolphins would have trouble matching.

6. Breece Hall.  The runaway for 2022 Offensive Rookie of the Year before getting injured

7. DJ Reed.  In the discussion for best #2 CB in football.  Statistically, top 10 overall CB.

8. Michael Carter II.  In the discussion for top slot CB in football.

9. JFM.  An excellent run defender on the Edge and one of the league's best pure pass rushers on the Inside

10. Bryce Huff.  Top 2 rated Edge defenders in pressure & pass rush win rates.  Can he take 1 more step and convert pressures into double digit sacks?

I’m not seeing the name Michael Clemons on your list. I don’t think he’s gonna be all too happy with you! Where did u say u lived?

• Haha 2

46 minutes ago, bonkertons said:

Is this a joke?

No.  I am not joking.  I am not trolling either.  How often do the Jets kill it in the off season ??? The Jets have a team on paper.  Not on grass.  The Rodgers deal has been exciting, but I have to caution everyone.  Don't crown 'em until we see a winning team on the field.  

15 minutes ago, THE BARON said:

No.  I am not joking.  I am not trolling either.  How often do the Jets kill it in the off season ??? The Jets have a team on paper.  Not on grass.  The Rodgers deal has been exciting, but I have to caution everyone.  Don't crown 'em until we see a winning team on the field.  

Every summer same story. After sucking the previous year, anyone who doesn’t see Lombardis in June is a hater troll.

I happen to be quite optimistic this year. Will probably get burned by the team. But I sure as hell wouldn’t treat the people who refuse to be sucked into the summer love like they are nuts.

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, THE BARON said:

Who is "crowning" them though?  It's saying our "core" is top-10.  Saying that group isn't top-10 is literally just being contrarian for the sake of being contrarian.  The little sarcastic "Nice Core" as if this isn't the best core the Jets have had, maybe ever, is what makes me think you are joking.  

....dammit....I took the bait didn't I....

Here's a question with a possibly surprise answer.

Do the Pats have any players on their roster you would trade any of these top guys for?

Maybe Judon but I wouldn't trade any of the top 5 guys listed for him.  Beyond that they have a lot of guys similar to the ones we used to prop up every preseason.

There are a few teams out there you could say the same about.  Colts.  Cardinals.

Texans maybe just Tunsil.

Packers have Alexander but I wouldn't trade any of our guys for him.

No matter how Eeyore you are, you can't look at this roster and not see a solid group of young stars around Rodgers.  You can try really hard to pretend that Joe Douglas had nothing to do with it or just got lucky, but why try that hard?

• Upvote 3

13 minutes ago, nycdan said:

Here's a question with a possibly surprise answer.

Do the Pats have any players on their roster you would trade any of these top guys for?

Maybe Judon but I wouldn't trade any of the top 5 guys listed for him.  Beyond that they have a lot of guys similar to the ones we used to prop up every preseason.

There are a few teams out there you could say the same about.  Colts.  Cardinals.

Texans maybe just Tunsil.

Packers have Alexander but I wouldn't trade any of our guys for him.

No matter how Eeyore you are, you can't look at this roster and not see a solid group of young stars around Rodgers.  You can try really hard to pretend that Joe Douglas had nothing to do with it or just got lucky, but why try that hard?

Luck is both a function and product of hard work. JD has had some pretty bad moments, and the team’s record with him as GM is god awful, but flowers where flowers are due. This team is ******* exciting, and it happened quickly in the span of just two off seasons.

And while we’re at it, Macc should get his too for drafting JA and Q 😇🙃

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, bonkertons said:

Who is "crowning" them though?  It's saying our "core" is top-10.  Saying that group isn't top-10 is literally just being contrarian for the sake of being contrarian.  The little sarcastic "Nice Core" as if this isn't the best core the Jets have had, maybe ever, is what makes me think you are joking.  

....dammit....I took the bait didn't I....

Again. The "Core" has done nothing together on the field.  Every roster has nice players.  So what.  

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, LSJF said:

Yet posters still bashing JD......

Ultimately, it's on-field results that matter, not offseason rankings or puff pieces.  

This year is key for JD, going into his 2nd to last contract year, because for all of his heralded moves and our seemingly clearly improved talent level, we've not really seen it translate to wins just yet.  JD clearly feels that pressure too, hence Rodgers.  

Eventually, it simply has to result in wins, lots of wins, for JD to get real credit, and presumably, his forthcoming extension.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Warfish said:

Ultimately, it's on-field results that matter, not offseason rankings or puff pieces.  

This year is key for JD, going into his 2nd to last contract year, because for all of his heralded moves and our seemingly clearly improved talent level, we've not really seen it translate to wins just yet.  JD clearly feels that pressure too, hence Rodgers.  

Eventually, it simply has to result in wins, lots of wins, for JD to get real credit, and presumably, his forthcoming extension.

It’s been so long since we’ve had a football guy in his position.. we all knew our roster was always considered the worst or near the worst in the league , so he definitely had a lot to do, plus he wasn’t experienced and has seemed to grow on the job… not saying he walks on water, but I definitely feel like we’re in good hands…for example , I like when he trades a pick he seems to get one back not leaving us in a hole, also, we finally have a GM that is trying to have depth on both lines ….of course, time will tell.. if he leaves or gets fired, we have to count on woody to find the next guy, that scares me more…😎

3 hours ago, LSJF said:

It’s been so long since we’ve had a football guy in his position.. we all knew our roster was always considered the worst or near the worst in the league , so he definitely had a lot to do, plus he wasn’t experienced and has seemed to grow on the job… not saying he walks on water, but I definitely feel like we’re in good hands…for example , I like when he trades a pick he seems to get one back not leaving us in a hole, also, we finally have a GM that is trying to have depth on both lines ….of course, time will tell.. if he leaves or gets fired, we have to count on woody to find the next guy, that scares me more…😎

Then we all just need to hope JD's roster and coach win alot more this year.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, nycdan said:

You can try really hard to pretend that Joe Douglas had nothing to do with it or just got lucky, but why try that hard?

JD will deservedly get plenty of credit, or blame, for how this season turns out.

The truth is, it's very rarely the opposite extremes everyone so often wants to get into around here.  JD has made a number of good moves to get them to this point no doubt, but he's hardly been great at the job either.

Looking at that list, 1 of those players was a Mike Maccagnan draft pick, which tells you the whole "sun shines on a dog's ass" thing holds true in the NFL.  Another was a long-established future HOFer who JD paid a hefty price for, so there needs to be an exceptional return on that, which is still TBD.  Neither of those are bad things mind you, but themselves don't prove a lot.

That leaves the other 3, all of whom are extremely talented players no doubt, and he deserves credit for those absolutely being "his guys".  However, the successes so far all came within the top 14 of the draft, who were accompanied by 2 massive failures taken in that range as well, one on track to be the biggest bust in team history.  The good does not erase the bad, nor does the bad erase the good.  Ultimately, a lot will come down to how this year's draft class and prior years mid-to-late rounders pan out, a common enough reality throughout the NFL, but how those work out remain to be seen.

Truth is, JD's job could still end up being on the line this year.  I'm certainly rooting like hell for all of the gambles to pay off and if they do he'll forever be a legend, but if this year turns into a complete failure his NFL career may very well be finished.  But of course, the reality is that there's a whole lot of grey area in between the opposite extremes, for both this team and JD.