KRL Camp Notes (7/26/23)

KRL

22 minutes ago, KRL said:

General Notes

- Practice ran 2 hours and 15 minutes

- Players in full pads

- Mekhi Becton was working on a side field with a trainer.  I have no idea what his
issue was

- Strong bounce back performance by the defense as they won the day.  The offense had
to do punishment "up downs"

1 on 1 Notes

- With pads on there was a period of OLine/DLine 1 on 1, some notable reps:
  * Quinnen Williams pushed back Laken Tomlinson
  * Zack Kuntz held his own as he fought off Tanzel Smart
  * Jermaine Johnson, Will McDonald and Bryce Huff were hard to control
    coming off the edges
  * Connor McGovern was impressive as he "stalemated" Williams
  * Billy Turner had difficulty in his reps as he was on "skates" and was
    pushed back
  * Joe Tippmann is very flexible for a tall center.  He's able to stay low
    to keep leverage and able to "re-anchor" his feet when he gets pushed back

7 on 7 Notes

- The defense clamped down on Aaron Rodgers during his reps forcing incompletions
on throws to Corey Davis, Garrett Wilson and Jeremy Ruckert

- Zach Wilson was sharper in his reps completing 20+ yard passes to Ruckert and
Xavier Gipson

Defense Notes

- The defense clamped down on the run game today and they also generated two INTs.
They recorded multiple TFLs some of the highlights were:
  * Quinnen Williams with a TFL on Michael Carter
  * John Franklin-Myers and Quincy Williams with a TFL on Carter
  * Carl Lawson with a TFL on Carter

- Jermaine Johnson was all over the field today as he recorded two "sacks" and
was in the backfield multiple times on run plays

- In addition to his strong performance during 1 on 1 Bryce Huff also generated
a "sack" against Chris Streveler

- The range that Tony Adams showed in previous reports was on full display today.
On one play Rodgers checked a pass down to Carter and Adams closed from about 15
yards to stop the play for no gain.  And finally he had a textbook INT as he came
from between the hashes to the right sideline to pick off a Rodgers 40+ yard pass
to Davis

- Finally rookie LB Zaire Barnes had a "pick 6" against Tim Boyle as he was in zone
and picked off a slant

Offense Notes

- On the #1 Oline Max Mitchell and Billy Turner have flipped positions.  Mitchell
was at LT and Turner was at RT

- No real standout players on offense today

QB Notes

- It had to be a frustrating day for Aaron Rodgers.  On his first rep during 11 on 11
there was a miscommunication which caused the offense to "re-huddle".  In addition to
that the defense clamped down on his 7 on 7 reps (mentioned earlier) and he threw an INT.
And finally during a situation drill to end practice (41 seconds on the clock, the offense
is down 7-3, ball at midfield) Rodgers moved the ball into the red zone but couldn't
score as his pass to Davis was incomplete

- Zach Wilson continues to "find completions" and probably had the two "sexiest" plays 
of the day.  He found Alex Erickson (new WR) for a 50+ yard TD down the left sideline.
And during red zone Wilson found Jason Brownlee for a 20+ yard corner TD.  During his
reps in the situation drill (mentioned earlier) Wilson found Xavier Gipson for 20+
yards that got him into the red zone.  But he also wasn't able to get the offense into
the end zone

Standouts

- The defense
- Tony Adams
- Jermaine Johnson

Concerns

- Will be interesting to see how the offense bounces back tomorrow (my final practice) 

man JJ is going to live up to his draft position and take a big step this year! Its way to early but damn it woudl be nice! especially if Lawson is finally healthy and produces sacks this year!

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, Lith said:

For what it’s worth, Rodgers pick was on a free play when he drew the defense offsides. In his presser he commented that he complimented Adams in the play but pointed out that it was a free play.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

when was the last time we had a qb that had the skill and mindset to take advantage of free plays? I know its just practice but i think Fitz was the last guys to do it. But he alwasy lobbed it up there so it is debatable he threw those free play bombs because of the situation or it was just hs norm. But damn its great to hear about it happening. Rogers is going to be great for us this year!

• Sympathy 1

1 minute ago, PS17 said:

I’m straight up giddy about this defensive line. Quinnen collapsing the pocket and run game from the inside, Johnson screaming off the edge, Huff, McDonald, Lawson, JFM. Woods is getting rave reviews too. If we harass the opposing QB rushing four, with our secondary, there’s no reason this can’t be the best defense in football. 

I think they have a great shot and will def be better than last year. Rogers makes it so they dont alwasy have bad starting position and one the field all game. These guys are going to be fresh and get thier ears pinned back rushing. Its is going to be an amazing def even if they are the 2nd or 3rd in the league. None of them has ever seen a competent offense before.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, BornJetsFan1983 said:

when was the last time we had a qb that had the skill and mindset to take advantage of free plays? I know its just practice but i think Fitz was the last guys to do it. But he alwasy lobbed it up there so it is debatable he threw those free play bombs because of the situation or it was just hs norm. But damn its great to hear about it happening. Rogers is going to be great for us this year!

Around the same time it's been since a Jets QB drew the D offsides, never mind without an offsetting false start.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, BornJetsFan1983 said:

I think they have a great shot and will def be better than last year. Rogers makes it so they dont alwasy have bad starting position and one the field all game. These guys are going to be fresh and get thier ears pinned back rushing. Its is going to be an amazing def even if they are the 2nd or 3rd in the league. None of them has ever seen a competent offense before.

The gamescript will be so different for them too. None of the New England game crap where they have to stand on their head the whole game while the offense sputters. Take an early lead and just go nuts teeing off on QBs who need to pass. One of the reasons the defense didn’t generate many turnovers last year is because teams could play conservatively on offense and still beat us. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, KRL said:

* Billy Turner had difficulty in his reps as he was on "skates" and was
    pushed back

Offense Notes

- On the #1 Oline Max Mitchell and Billy Turner have flipped positions.  Mitchell
was at LT and Turner was at RT

Billy Turner has kind of been exposed the last couple days 

I thought he'd be better - now I'm not sure he's a real starter anymore

the Jets are basically waiting for Brown and Becton (and maybe Mitchell) to round into form - can't rely on Turner it would seem

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, bitonti said:

Billy Turner has kind of been exposed the last couple days 

I thought he'd be better - now I'm not sure he's a real starter anymore

the Jets are basically waiting for Brown and Becton (and maybe Mitchell) to round into form - can't rely on Turner it would seem

It does seem that way, but it's early.  He really knows the scheme and that buys him some time and gives him a leg up.  We'll see where things stand by the end of TC.

How many OL do you think the Jets keep?  I think only 9 because of Kuntz and the young WRs. I see Brown, AVT, Becton, Mitchell, Schweitzer, Tippman, Tomlinson, and Warren as locks.  That leaves one position for Turner, McGovern and Colon.  It will be interesting to see how things shake out.

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, JKlecko said:

It does seem that way, but it's early.  He really knows the scheme and that buys him some time and gives him a leg up.  We'll see where things stand by the end of TC.

How many OL do you think the Jets keep?  I think only 9 because of Kuntz and the young WRs. I see Brown, AVT, Becton, Mitchell, Schweitzer, Tippman, Tomlinson, and Warren as locks.  That leaves one position for Turner, McGovern and Colon.  It will be interesting to see how things shake out.

Turner and McGovern both seem in line to make it but 53 is 53.  

43 minutes ago, JKlecko said:

9 is probably the right number, but They probably take 10 with Colon on p squad (maybe Pankey too)

McGovern likely starts

it will be a tough cut to 9 but they probably all don't stay healthy - someone's going to IR - Becton and Brown aren't really healthy right now as it is 

4 hours ago, Lith said:

For what it’s worth, Rodgers pick was on a free play when he drew the defense offsides. In his presser he commented that he complimented Adams in the play but pointed out that it was a free play.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

There is seriously no one I've ever seen who draws more free plays than Rodgers, it's really insane how good he is at it.  It's not even just the flag, he also clearly knows the moment he has it and is going to be a big play every single time.  Certainly should be a nice thing to have.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Darnold's Forehead said:

I swear every time I hear a TFL it’s against Carter.  It was similar during the season last year too.  Is he really that bad?

How is that on Carter?  When a DL is in the backfield that quickly, it isn't the RB's fault, it's the OL's fault.  I think a day or two ago, Q almost intercepted a screen pass to Knight he was in the backfield so quickly.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, peekskill68 said:

Question:  Who would be the better Guard?  Laken Tomlinson or Connor McGovern?  

Tomlinson.  McGovern played OG for a year or two in Denver and was awful.  He admits that C is his position.  He can play OG, but shouldn't.  IMO anyone who thinks McGovern can play OG is deluding themselves.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, BornJetsFan1983 said:

man JJ is going to live up to his draft position and take a big step this year! Its way to early but damn it woudl be nice! especially if Lawson is finally healthy and produces sacks this year!

As long as he outperforms Thibs, I will be a happy man!

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, JKlecko said:

How is that on Carter?  When a DL is in the backfield that quickly, it isn't the RB's fault, it's the OL's fault.  I think a day or two ago, Q almost intercepted a screen pass to Knight he was in the backfield so quickly.

I didn't say it was his fault, I was genuinely asking.  It just seems as though whenever the OL breaks down on run plays, he's the RB 80% of the time.

6 minutes ago, Darnold's Forehead said:

I didn't say it was his fault, I was genuinely asking.  It just seems as though whenever the OL breaks down on run plays, he's the RB 80% of the time.

I'm sorry if I misunderstood you, but you asked if he was really that bad, which imo implies that it's his fault.

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

KRL, sounds like zach should be on the standout list.

Rosenblatt said this was zack’s best practice with the 65 yd TD bomb to Erickson and multiple long pass completions. Looked sharp in 7 on 7.