Which of the following statements regarding Mekhi Becton will turn out to be true?

Alka

Which statements will turn out to be true regarding Mekhi Becton:

1. Becton will never in his future ever be healthy enough to play in at least 14 games in a season.

2. Becton will be retired by the age of 30, due to his knee injury and other ailments.

3. Becton will not be a NY Jet in 2024.

4.  Becton will not play in more than 8 games in 2023.

5. Becton will not be a starter in 2023, and will backup Duane Brown at left tackle. 

6.  Becton will not play at right tackle, ever again.

7. Becton will go on IR at some point in 2023, if he does see the field in any extended action.

I think all of the above statements have an excellent chance of turning out true.  This knee "day to day" thing has really got me worried.  I refuse to continue to get "sucked in" by Mekhi Becton.

As a Jets fan, of course I would hope I am wrong, and he turns out to have a wonderful season and career, but I may have lost hope after this latest hiccup.  Remember, D'Brick Ferguson missed an entire one play from one game his entire career at left tackle.  Try to digest that, and compare it to Mekhi Becton.

• Sympathy 1

1 minute ago, Dunnie said:

So in your mind. .. there is zero possibility or a positive outcome.. thanks.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

I did say he could possibly play as many as 8 games in 2023.  That is leaving some hope, isn't it?

I think this might be a situation of player and team over-managing an injury. At this point there should not be a danger of another lost season due to surgery and his weight isn't an issue.

If this is going to be an on going thing all season, he is toast.

Thank you GVR, Thank you

• Upvote 1

I give him the same amount of hope that I would give a freakishly athletic UDFA that is still "new to football".

I hope he can get it together (with him it's injuries) but I am not holding my breath in the slightest.  I would not be surprised if Becton is completely off the team after this season and he gets a flier one year contract from another team the next year then is out of the league.

At this point there is zero expectation for him to stay healthy enough to contribute.  Maybe he can stick around as a backup swing tackle somewhere but that's if he can even stay healthy through training camps.

• Upvote 1

Everyone is relentlessly bashing Becton, meanwhile it's Duane Brown who is no where to be found, hasn't played a single snap in camp, the oldest lineman in the league 

At least Becton is out there working his way back 

Put it another way Duane Brown at 38 is more concerning than becton at 25 

• Upvote 4
  • Thumb Down 2
  • Sympathy 2
  • En Fuego 1

4 minutes ago, rtnelson said:

I give him the same amount of hope that I would give a freakishly athletic UDFA that is still "new to football".

I hope he can get it together (with him it's injuries) but I am not holding my breath in the slightest.  I would not be surprised if Becton is completely off the team after this season and he gets a flier one year contract from another team the next year then is out of the league.

At this point there is zero expectation for him to stay healthy enough to contribute.  Maybe he can stick around as a backup swing tackle somewhere but that's if he can even stay healthy through training camps.

This. Big Bust is done with the Jets. Another team will kick the tires and bring him to camp, he'll get injured walking from his car, and he'll be out of the league. 

1 minute ago, bitonti said:

Everyone is relentlessly bashing Becton, meanwhile it's Duane Brown who is no where to be found, hasn't played a single snap in camp, the oldest lineman in the league 

I don't remember the Jets creating an award for Mekhi Becton like they did for Brown last season.  Some type of Brown being a warrior award?  The guy had a severe shoulder injury, and continued to not only start and play in 13 games I think, but played very good quality football through this injury that required surgery.

If you want to rip my thread apart, please, go ahead.  But try to leave Duane Brown out of it, would you?  The guy has proven to his teammates and coaching staff that he "IS" a warrior!!

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, bitonti said:

What? This is one of the most ridiculous things you've ever said, and you've said some sh*t, dude. 

Brown wasn't a colossal bust of a first round pick that, literally, hasn't contributed a thing since he was drafted. You want to talk about JD's epic mismanagement of the tackle position and the fact that we went into this season relying on two players that never see the field - That's completely valid, but a different conversation. 

A 38 year old (desperation) FA signing and a 1st round draft selection not working out are not even remotely comparable. 

• Upvote 3
  • Thumb Down 1

12 minutes ago, Alka said:

I don't remember the Jets creating an award for Mekhi Becton like they did for Brown last season.  Some type of Brown being a warrior award?  The guy had a severe shoulder injury, and continued to not only start and play in 13 games I think, but played very good quality football through this injury that required surgery.

If you want to rip my thread apart, please, go ahead.  But try to leave Duane Brown out of it, would you?  The guy has proven to his teammates and coaching staff that he "IS" a warrior!!

Ok, honestly, this comparison is laughable. I personally respect Brown for sucking it up and playing injured the way he did but there is a difference between a shoulder and a knee that needed reconstructive surgery. One is pain tolerance, the other you just can't  play on. I'm not saying Becton is tough as nails, clearly he isn't but there is no way to compare the injuries

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, bitonti said:

Brown played 12 games straight last year through a shoulder injury (as the oldest lineman in the league.) He just got surgery on said shoulder and is being eased back in.  Missing practice is not as big of a deal for an accomplished, experienced player such as him.

He hasn’t missed much time recently prior to 4 games last year.  Nowhere near as big a question mark as Becton.

• Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1

29 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

Ok, honestly, this comparison is laughable. I personally respect Brown for sucking it up and playing injured the way he did but there is a difference between a shoulder and a knee that needed reconstructive surgery. One is pain tolerance, the other you just can't  play on. I'm not saying Becton is tough as nails, clearly he isn't but there is no way to compare the injuries

I didn't make the comparison in the first place; it was Bitoni.  I never would have made this ridiculous comparison.  I just responded to it.  In fact, I said to please leave Duane Brown out of the discussion.

• Upvote 3

49 minutes ago, Darnold's Forehead said:

Brown played 12 games straight last year through a shoulder injury (as the oldest lineman in the league.) He just got surgery on said shoulder and is being eased back in.  Missing practice is not as big of a deal for an accomplished, experienced player such as him.

He hasn’t missed much time recently prior to 4 games last year.  Nowhere near as big a question mark as Becton.

Yeah dude that sounds like his shoulder is shot 

The Jets are relying more on brown then they are on Becton 

2 hours ago, Alka said:

Which statements will turn out to be true regarding Mekhi Becton:

1. Becton will never in his future ever be healthy enough to play in at least 14 games in a season.

2. Becton will be retired by the age of 30, due to his knee injury and other ailments.

3. Becton will not be a NY Jet in 2024.

4.  Becton will not play in more than 8 games in 2023.

5. Becton will not be a starter in 2023, and will backup Duane Brown at left tackle. 

6.  Becton will not play at right tackle, ever again.

7. Becton will go on IR at some point in 2023, if he does see the field in any extended action.

I think all of the above statements have an excellent chance of turning out true.  This knee "day to day" thing has really got me worried.  I refuse to continue to get "sucked in" by Mekhi Becton.

As a Jets fan, of course I would hope I am wrong, and he turns out to have a wonderful season and career, but I may have lost hope after this latest hiccup.  Remember, D'Brick Ferguson missed an entire one play from one game his entire career at left tackle.  Try to digest that, and compare it to Mekhi Becton.

I wish there was an option he comes into his own this year and remains healthy working his way up to starting calibre...but I think back up brown might be a real possibility 

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, bitonti said:

This feels like it’s not good. 

3 hours ago, bitonti said:

Everyone will be treated fairly but everyone won’t be treated the same. 

Becton has a lot to prove to the staff and to his teammates. Duane Brown has nothing to prove and can likely start at LT week one if he has 3 weeks of practice. 

I’m thinking number two and three are the most likely. He needs to play exceptionally well for the jets to want to keep him around and that would be at a salary lower than what a top tackle makes.  The thing is it’s all in bectons hands. He has the size and physical talent to be an outstanding tackle.  He’s holding himself back at this point.

6 hours ago, bitonti said:

Brown literally played through an injury that would sideline almost any OT in the league. Never mind Becton who is mad elf glass and no question would’ve missed the year if he had a browns injury. Brown also has played in the last 2 years and is a vet. He pretty much doesn’t need TC. He just needs or be healthy. Becton on the other hand is still just an injury prone overdarfted OT who was just above average for a bit as a rookie that was 2 full seasons ago. Becton is the WAY bigger question mark here.

• Upvote 4

7 hours ago, bitonti said:

Duane Brown played through serious injury on a team that was treading water last year. Becton taps out when he’s gassed and has played one quarter since 2020. Preposterous comment presumably intended to stir the pot.

• Upvote 2

7 hours ago, bitonti said:

He’s a 38 year old vet who doesn’t require a full camp to get ready.   He’s not more concerning than anyone.  He played through his injury for som time and played surprisingly well

33 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

Brown literally played through an injury that would sideline almost any OT in the league. Never mind Becton who is mad elf glass and no question would’ve missed the year if he had a browns injury. Brown also has played in the last 2 years and is a vet. He pretty much doesn’t need TC. He just needs or be healthy. Becton on the other hand is still just an injury prone overdarfted OT who was just above average for a bit as a rookie that was 2 full seasons ago. Becton is the WAY bigger question mark here.

In fairness, Brown doesn’t play a single game if he had Bectons knee injuries the last two seasons. 

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, bitonti said:

Yeah dude that sounds like his shoulder is shot 

The Jets are relying more on brown then they are on Becton 

Nobody has said anything about his shoulder.  Rotator cuff injury/tears are career threatening in 2023

7 hours ago, MichaelScott said:

A 38 year old (desperation) FA signing and a 1st round draft selection not working out are not even remotely comparable. 

All of which, in reality has nothing to do with his post claiming the Brown situation is much more worrisome.  Drafted or FA, Becton had the worse injury.  Twice.

6 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

But Becton got those injuries bc he doesn’t take care of his body. Not just bad luck type injuries.

And as many times as I read this I laugh given no one has a clue to if this is true.  For all we know he could have been 320 or 340 and still hurt his knee.  Didn’t the second injury happen because another lineman rolled up on his knee?  Has nothing to do with weight.