NY Jets Sign Dalvin Cook

Just now, pointman said:

So you're not ok with someone abusing women, but its ok to financially compensate one if it fits your desperation to win football games? Got it. Not much of a difference, but you do your thing.

Huge difference but you need an IQ above the value of pi to appreciate it.

Just now, BornJetsFan1983 said:

Think Tim Robinson GIF by NETFLIX

uh huh whatever you say....yeah you def did not change your view lol

Go look up my post history and find something suggesting otherwise my man.  I posted a long list of RBs I'd be interested in that you sh*t on.  Not once did I propose we add NO running backs to the room.

3 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

My take never changed on RBs dude.  I was always in favor of adding a RB, just not Dalvin.  The argument you just quoted is exactly what I've been saying all Summer.  

Only thing that changed was that I could no longer hope for Eno Benjamin after he tore his ACL, lol.

in any case...im just glad we did not have to go Eno route..

24 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Dalvin is worthless as a pass-catcher so we need a 3rd down back.

I was thinking about this, and I'm not sure MC is > Cook as a receiver.

Just looking at numbers:

Cook averaged 42 catches/year the past 5 seasons (excludes his rookie year where he only played 4 games and had 1 catches).  He averaged a 77% target-to-catch rate.  He averaged 8.1 YPC out of the backfield.  He averaged 5.25 drops/year over that time.

Carter averaged 38 catches/year his first two years.  He averaged a 70% target-to-catch rate.  He averaged 7.9 YPC out of the backfield.  He averaged 3 drops/year over that time.

Looking at that, nut sure I see "worthless" and "worthwhile" from the two backs, respectively, as clearly as you may.

I've mostly head Cook described as "an every down back", so he may see action more on 3rd than we think, and Carter less.

I could see a world where Cook/Hall/Izzy are the three rostered HB's if Hall is in fact on track, health wise, and Carter is put on the P.S. as insurance only, with Bam cut.  Not sure Carter is good enough to blow an active roster spot on given we have other very deep positions we may want to retain guys for the future.  I don't think Carter has a long future in NY regardless. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

18 minutes ago, Maxman said:

I thought they didn't need him but I am not going to complain. They just added one of the best backs in the league. They have incredible depth at running back and might be able to trade someone away for online help?

This makes the offense better. Receiver depth is a little concern with all the injuries they have had. So now you can cross off running back depth which wasn't an issue to start with. But damn they can go four deep with anyone.

Breece Hall is the 2nd running back on this team. WOW.

The WR depth is certainly an issue but I'm hoping our TEs can contribute more (maybe Ruckert?)  And let's not forget Breece is also a very good receiving RB.  I think Dalvin Cook is, too.

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, JohnnyLV said:

He WAS a better player than both. He was extremely average to below average last year and he's all of a sudden going to regain from when the Vikings couldn't wait to dump the guy. Names mean nothing ultimately in the NFL. Everyone declines, RBs more than any other position.

1173 yards rushing and 8 td's last year are below average?  I would take that in a heart beat.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, jgb said:

Emotion is dumb and can be mocked at your pleasure 

Personally disfavoring abusers of women and small animals isn't emotion.

Football is entertainment first and foremost.  Morals and ethics do (and should IMO) come first.

With that said, I lost that fight when the Jets signed Dogkiller Vick, and I'm tired of the effort of that kind of moral stand in this day and age, so I'm passing this round.  The only person hurt by it is me, Cook doesn't give a sh*t and neither do the Jets.

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Rob Moore said:

Not really a fan of this.  I like our young guys and I thought they were adequate. But he’s a Jet now, so let’s go!

I’m also kinda shocked how quickly many on this board are ready to throw Carter in the dumpster/trade him away. I think Carter is a very good player and seems like he’s great lockerroom guy.

to be fair it wasnt till we say a season of him where we needed him and him basically taking a crap on our team and doing nothing. Its not like he was good or decent and we got tired of him. We literally had Hall get hurt and him not do crap. To the point where we had to bring in a practice squad guy. 

We drafted his replacement.

And you can say he is a good lockeroom guy, but you woudl be wrong. That assumes he carries his weight on the field which he does not. 

Carter hopefully is gone by week 1. We ahve too much talent to let a bum like this stay on cause can joke around between plays. I want peopel that helps us win. No more berrios types.

1 minute ago, Warfish said:

Personally disfavoring abusers of women and small animals isn't emotion.

Football is entertainment first and foremost.  Morals and ethics do (and should IMO) come first.

With that said, I lost that fight when the Jets signed Dogkiller Vick, and I'm tired of that kind of moral stand, so I'm passing this round.

Find another outlet for your moralizing. I like wins. This is football not the Jaycee Club.

• Upvote 1

I didn't read the whole thread but my impression is that this is a stupid move:

1. $7m for a guy who while dynamic has ball security issues.

2.  This makes what was already a very difficult cut down day even more difficult.

3. Roster wise this feels like subtraction by addition.

I really really really hope I got this all wrong.  Go Jets!

• Sympathy 1

29 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Wholeheartedly agree.  Joe D selling his soul.

Good. Sell your sell to win. Finally a GM that gets it. You are competing with a team that just signed tyreek hill last year. 

Let's remember why they called big Ben, rapelisberger.... and the steelers are considered a "class" organization. And the pats had freaking aaron hernandez on their roster. 

Stop bitching. Holy **** you guys that bored with your life that you’re going to complain about signing a good running back with some in his tank left?

Come December and January, when it’s snowing, we have a projected top 5 defense with infinite pass rushers and a great running game. Oh, and we happen to have Aaron Rodgers. Great day!

• Upvote 1

Just now, jgb said:

Find another outlet for your moralizing. I like wins. This is football not the Jaycee Club.

i just find it so ridiculous these people who are so high and mighty, I doubt very much they give two sh*ts. At the time I had a fw back and forths but basically I think they are fake. Sure dog fight are not the greatest thing, but they are dogs, not humans. He paid he debt to society, did his time. a normal person can accept that and move on. 

Not to mention the ignorance, dog fight are easy to be against sure, but life where he grew up its part of the deal. Lots of factors. It not so simple. Anyway wahtever. Cook makes us better, and that is good.

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 3