Not Looking Good for Mims in Detroit - Update: Mims Cut

mrcoops

1 minute ago, Zachtomims47 said:

Aright. I’m over it. Get this filthy name off of me. 

Really a shame he can’t get it together. Has the talent but he just doesn’t seem to love the game. 

Very disappointing that he never put it together.   He seems to have it physically but maybe not between the ears?   At least the opinion of the Jets coaches has been independently confirmed.  

I always suspected it was a culture thing with him- that he didnt” love ball” the way that Saleh demands.  Might as well get rid of bad apples instead of wasting time and coaching on them.

Mims actually seemed like one of the safest picks that I could remember.  Talented WR with good size.  Didn't seem like a reach - in fact was expected to go much earlier than when we took him.  Sometimes sh*t just doesn't work out, unfortunately.  Can't really blame the coaching/QBs either.  Other young receivers like Garrett and even Moore had a lot of success in the same situation.  He just couldn't put it together.  I hope he does at some point though.  

• Upvote 3

10 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Usually Jets fans get all in a tizzy that failures here will go on to great success elsewhere even though there are only ~ 5 such players in franchise history.  

Mims wasn't even worth a tizzy.  

Hell, Stephen Hill was a better player.

Guaranteed Mims never has a game as good as Hill’s pro debut.

• Upvote 5
  • Thumb Down 1
  • Sympathy 1

Sounds like Mims is just going through the motions. It seems like so many of these young players come out thinking they’re going to be handed a position on the team.  They’re good in college because they have more talent than other players. But they don’t seem to have the drive to succeed.  I think Wilson and sauce have that drive. Maybe breece hall too.  These guys want to win and know what it will take.  Other guys just aren’t willing to put in the extra work.

• Upvote 3

4 minutes ago, rangerous said:

Sounds like Mims is just going through the motions. It seems like so many of these young players come out thinking they’re going to be handed a position on the team.

Been awhile since the Jets disabused anyone of that notion.

4 minutes ago, rangerous said:

They’re good in college because they have more talent than other players. But they don’t seem to have the drive to succeed.  I think Wilson and sauce have that drive. Maybe breece hall too.  These guys want to win and know what it will take.  Other guys just aren’t willing to put in the extra work.

Becton over Wirfs was a terrible decision and utterly antithetical to JD’ and Saleh’s stated belief that “we want guys who love football.” Of course, literally every GM and HC says that.

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

Just now, jgb said:

Becton over Wirfs was a terrible decision and utterly antithetical to JD’ and Saleh’s stated belief that “we want guys who love football.” Of course, literally every GM and HC says that.

Can’t disagree about becton but at the same it was a little strange for wirfs to be agonizing so much about changing guard positions.  Getting back to becton, maybe there’s something about Louisville and attitude.  Wasn’t the hit man from there?

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, rangerous said:

Can’t disagree about becton but at the same it was a little strange for wirfs to be agonizing so much about changing guard positions.

I didn’t see it that way. He’s been a 2x pro bowler in 3 years at one position and now Bowles is asking him to move. I get the consternation…

Getting back to becton, maybe there’s something about Louisville and attitude.  Wasn’t the hit man from there?

I think you called it. He skated by on talent and his rare size up until he hit the pros and lacks the internal motivation to be GREAT.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, jgb said:

Indeed, although It sounds like they are making Tippman earn his starting spot and have rewarded his improved play by giving him reps with the starters. This is awesome and should be the norm elsewhere. 

As for Becton over Wirfs, that poor decision was made because the Jets were desperate for a LT and Wirfs was pigeonholed into RT by most scouts. Of course, this brings me to a point that I have made for years - when you draft exclusively for positional need in the first round, you get yourself in trouble. The first round is about getting the best football players you can, usually at premium/impact positions. You don't draft exclusively for need. That's how you end up reaching for guys who have major flaws. 

Incidentally, I actually wanted Lamb or Jeudy there instead of a tackle. 

• Upvote 3

4 minutes ago, jgb said:

I didn’t see it that way. He’s been a 2x pro bowler in 3 years at one position and now Bowles is asking him to move. I get the consternation…

I think you called it. He skated by on talent and his rare size up until he hit the pros and lacks the internal motivation to be GREAT.

We sure about this?  Dude seems to have busted his ass to get back on the field.  

• Sympathy 1

3 minutes ago, bonkertons said:

We sure about this?  Dude seems to have busted his ass to get back on the field.  

There are few things I am utterly sure about beyond mathematical truths, but he seems to only put in the work in response to external motivation — crash dieting before the draft to cash in and achieving the barest minimum of job requirements to show up to camp in reasonable shape only when his next contract is imminently at stake.

8 minutes ago, jgb said:

I’d be happy if becton is simply good.  We know he can pancake defenders and he’s a big man for rushers to get around.  All he has to do is stand there (not really) like the chief in one flew over the cuckoos nest. But he has to do that for 50 plays per game and 17 games.

• Haha 1

I’d be happy if becton is simply good.  We know he can pancake defenders and he’s a big man for rushers to get around.  All he has to do is stand there (not really) like the chief in one flew over the cuckoos nest. But he has to do that for 50 plays per game and 17 games.

His ceiling is still intact although the likelihood of him achieving it has diminished. I see precious few scenarios where he is a Jet next year and I wouldn’t sign him to a long term big money deal even if he’s a stud this season. I’d need to see minimum two consecutive seasons of professional-level commitment to even consider it.

• Upvote 1

And some in here were being critical of how the Jets CS was handling Mimms.  They were unjustly giving him a hard time.

What they did was give him every chance in the world along with extra attention to no avail.

Some physically gifted prospects will turn the corner with extra coaching. Some will not.

Mimms, Gholson, Johnny Mitchell... Etc... 

• Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, SoJetsy said:

Donovan Peoples Jones who went after him should have been the pick.

Jones has been a good player but he went in the 6th round….4 full rounds after Mims…you can’t really say he should’ve been the pick there.  Browns got tremendous value there. 

I was ecstatic with the Mims pick especially with the trade down beforehand….so really what do I know?

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, jgb said:

There are few things I am utterly sure about beyond mathematical truths, but he seems to only put in the work in response to external motivation — crash dieting before the draft to cash in and achieving the barest minimum of job requirements to show up to camp in reasonable shape only when his next contract is imminently at stake.

So your theory is he won't give a **** after getting paid?  He'll go back to not taking care of his body?  So if he were to, say, play all 17 games and make the Pro Bowl, you'd say that has more to do with his desire to get paid than his desire to be great?  That's a pretty bold assumption. 

4 minutes ago, bonkertons said:

So your theory is he won't give a **** after getting paid?  He'll go back to not taking care of his body?  So if he were to, say, play all 17 games and make the Pro Bowl, you'd say that has more to do with his desire to get paid than his desire to be great?  That's a pretty bold assumption. 

My assertion is that when someone shows you who they are, believe them. Beyond that, it’s their burden of proof to show that they’ve changed.