Joe Douglas

Lupz27

12 minutes ago, OtherwiseHappyinLife said:

That sounds like a great headline but that's not why Rodgers got hurt.  

He held onto the ball for 4 seconds on a designed quick throw and the storm that has been over this franchise for decades struck him down with a bolt of lightning.  Unimaginable bad luck (unless you are a Jets fan)!!  The guy has been otherwise durable, having started every game for the Packers 8 of the last 9 seasons ... last missing games in 2017.

The Jets haven't had 1 QB who has started every game in any season since 2015.  Across older and younger QBs...  

Those are real data points.  

The Rams just won a SB with a 40 year old LT named Andrew Whitworth.  

I'm not going to argue with you on the back up.  But most teams who lose their star QB are screwed.  

You’re outlining why preseason is important. Rodgers didn’t look ready to play. Add on a line that had never played together, compounded by an ancient tackle and another tackle who was coming off a 2 year hiatus…it shouldn’t come as a surprise that it blew up. Everything in the passing game was out of sync because they had never played together. Rodgers had what 10 plays all preseason?

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

The collective decision not to play anyone on offense during the preseason needs to be looked at. Rodgers was not ready to play. 

Agreed , but none of these teams are ready until October now. The first organization that goes back to the future and starts playing starters even 40-50% of snaps like they did 20 years ago in preseason will go 4-0 in September with their eyes closed . Could be the difference in making the playoffs or not …I have no data but just being a fan it doesn’t seem like less players are getting hurt since teams stopped playing starters. 

• Upvote 1

Lmao. This board never disappoints. NOW JD needs to answer for himself 🙄 Mismanagement of this entire offseason was completely fine. Didn't matter how much he overpaid, didn't matter how terribly he drafted, didn't matter that his management of the oline was nothing short of absolute negligence - Most of this board couldn't wait to scuff up their knees for their boy Douglas as long as he brought in a 40 year old, "90% retired" QB by any means nessesary. 

🤣 You guys are fu*king hysterical. This entire offseason and mismanagement of this roster has been an absolute disaster for months. Most of this bored was too busy being Homer fan boi's to see it. Some of us have been telling you this for months 🙄

Rodgers getting hurt and (hopefully) retiring is the best possible outcome for this season. Saving next years 1st was an absolute gift and the only thing at this point that could limit the lasting damage of Douglas' incompetent off season. I don't know the cap like the experts do around here, I'm hoping his retirement results in some kind of injury settlement that gets them out of his obscene guaranteed money 🤞🏻

Relax everyone. The expectations many of you had going into this season were ALWAYS ridiculous. You were always going to come crashing down to earth and it was always going to hurt because you spent the last 6 months in denial and making this team out to be something that it never was. Not only did you get that crash out of the way 4 plays into the season, we also salvaged our 1st round pick from that horrible trade. 

... AND we beat the Bills! Today is a great day!!

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 3
  • Post of the Week 1

Just now, Jolot said:

Agreed , but none of these teams are ready until October now. The first organization that goes back to the future and starts playing starters even 40-50% of snaps like they did 20 years ago in preseason will go 4-0 in September with their eyes closed . Could be the difference in making the playoffs or not …I have no data but just being a fan it doesn’t seem like less players are getting hurt since teams stopped playing starters. 

I mean we have hindsight now, but I don’t care how long you’ve been in the league pairing a new QB with a new line and putting him out there with practically zero live reps where the QB can get hit is insane. Rodgers was totally spooked from the start.

• Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 1

Just now, MichaelScott said:

Lmao. This board never disappoints. NOW JD needs to answer for himself 🙄 Mismanagement of this entire offseason was completely fine. Didn't matter how much he overpaid, didn't matter how terribly he drafted, didn't matter that his management of the oline was nothing short of absolute negligence - Most of this board couldn't wait to scuff up their knees for their boy Douglas as long as he brought in a 40 year old, "90% retired" QB by any means nessesary. 

🤣 You guys are fu*king hysterical. This entire offseason and mismanagement of this roster has been an absolute disaster for months. Most of this bored was too busy being Homer fan boi's to see it. Some of us have been telling you this for months 🙄

Rodgers getting hurt and (hopefully) retiring is the best possible outcome for this season. Saving next years 1st was an absolute gift and the only thing at this point that could limit the lasting damage of Douglas' incompetent off season. I don't know the cap like the experts do around here, I'm hoping his retirement results in some kind of injury settlement that gets them out of his obscene guaranteed money 🤞🏻

Relax everyone. The expectations many of you had going into this season were ALWAYS ridiculous. 

Saving the 1st rounder is incredible before you consider how it was achieved.  They really need that pick, which (at this point) could easily be top 15 if it unravels now.  

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, OtherwiseHappyinLife said:

That sounds like a great headline but that's not why Rodgers got hurt.  

He held onto the ball for 4 seconds on a designed quick throw and the storm that has been over this franchise for decades struck him down with a bolt of lightning.  Unimaginable bad luck (unless you are a Jets fan)!!  The guy has been otherwise durable, having started every game for the Packers 8 of the last 9 seasons ... last missing games in 2017.

The Jets haven't had 1 QB who has started every game in any season since 2015.  Across older and younger QBs...  

Those are real data points.  

The Rams just won a SB with a 40 year old LT named Andrew Whitworth.  

I'm not going to argue with you on the back up.  But most teams who lose their star QB are screwed.  

The 39-year-old getting hurt is bad luck. The team starting the 39-year-old in the first place is bad management.

• Ugh 1

I have continually said that JD is overrated here but the facts are he is still a very good GM and I am willing to stick with JD and RS for the foreseeable future. We have very good talent on the team right now; probably the best in 20 years. The only problem I have with JD is his arrogance of not admitting to his failures. OL is a disaster. QB is a disaster. He swings for the fence and sometimes it kicks him in the arse. MB is probably a major bust, and he won't admit it. ZW is likely the same. We know we are lacking at QB, LB and OL , and yet he drafts positions we are already deep in? Rodgers was a major reach pick wise and money wise. He wasn't playing for the Packers, or anyone else. Own it. Do better. 

In the end is the team better because of JD and RS; I think they are, and we were a train wreck when they got here. I think they will get it right eventually.  

Let's also keep going back to the 2020-2021 drafts.

Performance is trend based.  You don't fire someone at work because of what they did in 2020-2021.  You evaluate their trend line and recent performance.

Since the Zach Wilson pick, JD has acquired the following talent:

AVT, Michael Carter II, Jamien Sherwood, Quincy Williams, DJ Reed, Jordan Whitehead, Greg the Leg, Sauce, Garrett, J Johnson, Breece, Adams, Ruckert, Clemons, and Rodgers.  I'm excluding this year's draft & free agent class because it's too early to evaluate.  But I'm loving the potential of Will McDonald, the Quinton Jefferson & Al Woods duo, and Xavier Gipson.

If JD stubbornly puts all his eggs in the Zach bucket post Rodgers, and Zach fails, then I'll be at the front of the fire JD line.  

• Sympathy 1

14 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

He fleeced Seattle and other than the dreaded QB position has built a good roster with a lot of impact players.

That all happened in one year.

So many people are willing to overlook numerous years of garbage for 1 year of good choices.

• Upvote 1

Douglas has done a lot of good things and overall is a good GM BUT he may be the type of guy that fails in some key areas.
The Rodgers scenario was a HUGE gamble, he took the gamble, he has to own it.
Now he has to go out and get a semi legit alternative to Wilson, no not some clip holder like flacco
I'm also not changing my mind that will mcdonald was a total luxury pick.

You are totally correct on this. JSN was the pick 100%.

I don’t want to see Douglas fired over it though.

This team is better and I still see 10 wins even with the loss of Rodgers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Douglas has done a lot of good things and overall is a good GM BUT he may be the type of guy that fails in some key areas.
Now he has to go out and get a semi legit alternative to Wilson, no not some clip holder like flacco

You are totally correct on this. JSN was the pick 100%.

I don’t want to see Douglas fired over it though.

This team is better and I still see 10 wins even with the loss of Rodgers.

3 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

The 39-year-old getting hurt is bad luck. The team starting the 39-year-old in the first place is bad management.

That's an opinion that is contrary to the fact that he has started every game since the start of the 2018 season.

I also provided a data point that no Jets QB has started a full season since Ryan Fitz did it in 2015.  Including youngsters like Sam Darnold and Zach Wilson.  

You expected Rodgers to rupture his Achilles in week 1?  I don't recall such posts..

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, OtherwiseHappyinLife said:

That's an opinion that is contrary to the fact that he has started every game since the start of the 2018 season.

I also provided a data point that no Jets QB has started a full season since Ryan Fitz did it in 2015.  Including youngsters like Sam Darnold and Zach Wilson.  

You expected Rodgers to rupture his Achilles in week 1?  I don't recall such posts..

I mean there’s a whole slew of posts back in the summer where I argued that Rodgers was a major injury risk. My point is that starting a 39-year-old in the first place is evidence of mismanagement.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

I mean there’s a whole slew of posts back in the summer where I argued that Rodgers was a major injury risk. My point is that starting a 39-year-old in the first place is evidence of mismanagement.

I guess I don't know why ...  would you say the same for a 35-38 year old? Because Rodgers started every game during those years.. winning 2 MVPs and making multiple NFC Championship games.

Not all 39 year olds are the same ..  Is that age simply your cut-off threshold?  Does something magically happen once you reach 39?  I mean Carl Lawson ruptured his Achilles at 26 or 27.  Other young guys have too.

5 minutes ago, OtherwiseHappyinLife said:

I don’t think any of us necessarily expected Rodgers to rupture his Achilles in week 1, but speaking for myself it was maybe the 3rd or 4th least surprising thing that happened to me yesterday. 

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, usapaw said:

Wow, four plays in and the rest of the league looked like week 18. SOJF.

I think it’s important to recognize Rodgers was new to the team and the line hadn’t played together at all during the preseason. It’s fair to question why they didn’t get more action. Especially after how jittery Rodgers looked before getting hurt. 

I am NO fan of Joe Douglas. I'm one of the few people on here that have not been shy about ripping him apart for this horrible, incompetent offseason. I hope his gross mismanagement of the roster and the atrocious moves he made and didn't make this offseason costs him his job...

That being said... This injury isn't on Douglas. If anything, I think there is a really good argument that Saleh has some fault in this. You have a 40 year old QB that went through your soft cup cake camp and didn't play in the offseason. There is a reason that players need the summer to get in football shape. You have an old QB with old ligaments and gave him the entire summer off 🙄 Of course something is likely to snap when he tries to go full power and never got into football shape! 

• Ugh 1

4 minutes ago, Jolot said:

I don’t think any of us necessarily expected Rodgers to rupture his Achilles in week 1, but speaking for myself it was maybe the 3rd or 4th least surprising thing that happened to me yesterday. 

But is that because of his age or because we as Jets fans are programmed to fear the worst?

It could have been a young Chad Pennington or Sam Darnold or Zach Wilson?

Were you surprised last year when we lost AVT & Breece Hall against the Broncos, effectively ending our year?

I wasn't ... because we're the ******* Jets .. not because we went with a 39 year old QB.  Trevor Lawrence would have gotten into a hot air balloon accident if we drafted him..  

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Lupz27 said:

He needs to hold a press conference and answer questions about not being prepared for this situation plain and simple.

Outside of the 2022 draft he has not done one thing to keep his job other then that draft.

There are 10 other players on the roster who, if they had gotten injured and out for the season last night, this exact thread could have been started.

7 minutes ago, OtherwiseHappyinLife said:

I guess I don't know why ...  would you say the same for a 35-38 year old? Because Rodgers started every game during those years.. winning 2 MVPs and making multiple NFC Championship games.

Not all 39 year olds are the same ..  Is that age simply your cut-off threshold?  Does something magically happen once you reach 39?  I mean Carl Lawson ruptured his Achilles at 26 or 27.  Other young guys have too.

Yes, I absolutely would have had these same concerns if we had started a 37-year-old.

49 minutes ago, Facts said:

If we could only play a team each week that gives us the ball 4 times.

And then after getting the ball 4 times, STILL barely win.

They just gave the ball to us huh?  

Our players had nothing to do with it right?

Who drafted and signed those players btw?

55 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

It’s not as big as a gamble if he just did what he was signed to do. Build a strong OL. He has failed miserably. Aaron pointed out how bad it was during training camp, without really calling anyone out. He was livid they couldn’t give protection. And look what happens. 

13 minutes ago, Green Truth said:

And they are 1-0. Slow down. Start complaining around week 9 if they have a losing record.

Lmao. Dude, come down to earth. They stole a win because it's week 1 and, in the days of no training camp and preseason, EVERY team is horrible at this point in the season. Zach Wilson is still an epic bust of a QB. This team is going no where, AND THATS OKAY because here is the other part that no one wanted to hear all summer - This was never a roster that was ready to compete this year! This was never a team that was just a 40 year old QB away from being a legitimate contender. Trading away a 1st and 2nd round pick, trading down in the first and all that guaranteed money was always an idiotic plan that was, in the long run, going to accomplish nothing but setting this team back from the actual goal of building a team of sustained success. Yes, it's really unfortunate that JD was able to do the damage that he did to this team this offseason and I pray to God he doesn't survive this year. But salvaging our 1st round pick next year was literally the best outcome for this team. Maybe next year we'll have a GM that will have a first round pick to bring in an actual solution to the QB position. 

1 hour ago, Beerfish said:

Rodgers is 100% all on Woody. 

• More Ugh 1