Breakout game for JSN

AFJF

10 minutes ago, Zachtomims47 said:

WR's are also starting to become pretty consistent in the draft every year, with a solid group each year. 2024 should be no different. 

Good, because unless Gipson and/or Brownlee have a few breakout WR-production days, it seems like we're going to be very much in the market for more talent at WR this coming offseason.  So I hope the 2024 draft class is stacked.

I won't be shocked though if we go Defense with our #1 pick yet again in 2024.  It's what we do. 

Like being bad at Offense, that's what we do too.

5 minutes ago, Bruce Harper said:

I knew of him at the time of the draft but root for the Jets and don't always remember the initials of rookies who have done very little in the pros.  I mean no disrespect but, in general, I like thread titles that don't require me to do research. 

Completely understandable.  I, too, had forgotten about JSN until AFJF alerted us to his breakout performance.  What a talent!

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Good, because unless Gipson and/or Brownlee have a few breakout WR-production days, it seems like we're going to be very much in the market for more talent at WR this coming offseason.  So I hope the 2024 draft class is stacked.

I won't be shocked though if we go Defense with our #1 pick yet again in 2024.  It's what we do. 

Like being bad at Offense, that's what we do too.

It's not what we do lol. I know you're thinking of the old days, of Jets picking DT's every year. 

Since Douglas has been GM, in the first 2 rounds, he's drafted 8 offensive players and 3 defensive players. 

So let's pump the brakes.

Also - it's all on the QB play. This offense isn't stalling in the redzone over and over because they need a better WR2 or 3 or whatever.

• Upvote 3

Everyone is looking for an answer at wide out meanwhile Jason brownlee earned his chance. 

Lets be real Zach couldn't feed Jsn. He can barely feed garrett. Zach has like 2 good throws a game. it's better than nothing but there's not enough pigskin in 200 yards throwing to feed another first Rd wr 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

6 minutes ago, Zachtomims47 said:

It's not what we do lol. I know you're thinking of the old days, of Jets picking DT's every year. 

Since Douglas has been GM, in the first 2 rounds, he's drafted 8 offensive players and 3 defensive players. 

Also - it's all on the QB play. This offense isn't stalling in the redzone over and over because they need a better WR2 or 3 or whatever.

SalehSerious.png.76d560d5a45213a333d8632e64c6ce00.png

• Haha 3

40 minutes ago, Zachtomims47 said:

And since Douglas has been GM, we have:

1. A record of 23-49

2. Offensive finishes of 31st, 32nd, 28th and 29th.  We're currently 22nd.

3. No All-Pro players on Offense.

Since the year 2000, 17 of our 24 first picks (our first pick regardless of round) were spent on Defense. 

Of the 6 offensive picks, 3 were QB's.   All busts so far.

In 24 years of picks we've picked an offensive non-QB with our first pick exactly....three times (Moss in 2001, Brick in 2006 and Becton in 2020).

And we picked a Kicker with our first pick once, Nugent in 2005.

Since 2000, we've averaged 22nd in Offense/Scoring, with only one top 10 finish (2008, the Rent-a-Favre season).

Since 2000, we've averaged 23rd in Offense/Yards, with only one top 10 finish (2015, the Rent-a-Fitz season).

Of Douglas's Offensive draft picks to-date, we have:

1. Chuma Edoga, OL.  2019.  Bust here, now playing for the Cowboys.
2. Trevon Wesco, TE, 2019.  9 rec. for 134 yards in his career, now with Tenn.
3. Mekhi Becton, OL, 2020.  Missed two full years to injury.  5th year option not taken.  Playing well now.
4. Denzel Mims, WR, 2020.  Complete bust.
5. La'Mical Perine, RB, 2020.  72 car. for 263 yards in his career.  Out of the league I believe.
6. James Morgan, QB, 2020.  Lol, Captain Morgan.
7. Cameron Clark, OL, 2020.  Never played a game.
8. Zach Wilson, QB, 2021.  Ranked 31st and 33rd starting QB in 2021 and 2022, before being benched for Rodgers.   Ranked 30th at current in 2023.
9. Alijah Vera-Tucker, OL, 2021.  Good player, can't stay healthy, now missing his 2nd season due to injury.  
10. Elijah Moore, WR, 2021.  Showed flashes, attitude issues, sent packing.
11. Michael Carter, RB, 2021.  3rd stringer, career 4.0 YPC.  Drops alot of passes.
12. Garrett Wilson, WR, 2022.  Stud.  
13. Breece Hall, RB, 2022.  Stud, albeit missed half of his rookie year to injury.
14. Jeremy Ruckert, TE, 2022.  TBD, backup at current, but showing signs of starter-quality.
15. Max Mitchell, OL, 2022.  Meh so far in limited duty and with injuries.
16. Joe Tippmann, OL, 2023.  TBD but looks good so far.  Hurt several times this year but playing through it.
17. Carter Warren, OL, 2023.  Has not played I believe.
18. Israel Abanikanda, RB, 2023.  Showed flashes in camp, hurt, has sadly not been seen again since, despite being healthy and Cook being horrible.
19. Zach Kuntz, TE, 2023.  Best name, on P.S. at current.

So lets see.......two studs (Wilson and Hall), three good O-linemen who can't stay healthy (Becton, AVT and Tippmann) and.........not much else.  In five drafts.

So yeah, sure, I'll "pump my brakes" I guess, after all, who could possibly question a record a like this!  Lol.

You'll just have to forgive me for thinking a focus on Offense would be a nice change of pace.

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, Warfish said:

1. A record of 23-49

Since the year 2000, 17 of our 24 first picks (our first pick regardless of round) were spent on Defense. 

In 24 years of picks we've picked an offensive non-QB with our first pick exactly....three times (Moss in 2001, Brick in 2006 and Becton in 2020).

Since 2000, we've averaged 22nd in Offense/Scoring, with only one top 10 finish (2008, the Rent-a-Favre season).

Since 2000, we've averaged 23rd in Offense/Yards, with only one top 10 finish (2015, the Rent-a-Fitz season).

3. Mekhi Becton, OL, 2020.  Missed two full years to injury.  5th year option not taken.  Playing well now.
5. La'Mical Perine, RB, 2020.  72 car. for 263 yards in his career.  Out of the league I believe.
8. Zach Wilson, QB, 2021.  Ranked 31st and 33rd starting QB in 2021 and 2022, before being benched for Rodgers.   Ranked 30th at current in 2023.
9. Alijah Vera-Tucker, OL, 2021.  Good player, can't stay healthy, now missing his 2nd season due to injury.  
11. Michael Carter, RB, 2021.  3rd stringer, career 4.0 YPC.  Drops alot of passes.
13. Breece Hall, RB, 2022.  Stud, albeit missed half of his rookie year to injury.
14. Jeremy Ruckert, TE, 2022.  TBD, backup at current, but showing signs of starter-quality.
16. Joe Tippmann, OL, 2023.  TBD but looks good so far.  Hurt several times this year but playing through it.
18. Israel Abanikanda, RB, 2023.  Showed flashes in camp, hurt, has sadly not been seen again since, despite being healthy and Cook being horrible.

So lets see.......two studs (Wilson and Hall), three good O-linemen who can't stay healthy (Becton, AVT and Tippmann) and.........not much else.  In five drafts.

So yeah, sure, I'll "pump my brakes" I guess, after all, who could possibly question a record a like this!  Lol.

You'll just have to forgive me for thinking a focus on Offense would be a nice change of pace.

Your statement was "it's what we do" in terms of going defense over offense. And under Douglas, thats simply not true. Not sure why you're looking back 20 years, those GM's aren't here. 

Again - all on the QB. List all the players you want.

You truly think this offense would be top 10 in scoring because JSN is here? Or Addison or whatever other rookie WR? I sincerely doubt it. 

18 hours ago, T0mShane said:

McDonald is a developmental EDGE with upside. JSN is a topped-out, oddly unathletic slot receiver who voluntarily sat out his junior year with a sprained ankle. The scuttlebutt out of Seattle is that they wanted him to be a slot guy with some gadget versatility, but they discovered that he doesn’t have the quickness to do it, so they’re trying to find him a more traditional role on the fly. Kudos to him finally breaking out for four catches against the mighty Cardinals, however. 

sure helped him that Metcalf was scratched.  

It remains to be seen if JSN surpasses Lockett and/or DK Metcalf w/regard to targets, snaps etc.  Pretty good WR room, if you ask me.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Zachtomims47 said:

Your statement was "it's what we do" in terms of going defense over offense.

Our team's recent history isn't limited to Douglas.

I'll repeat, 17 of the last 24 first picks have been spent on Defense.

So yes, it's what we do.  We organizationally prioritize Defense over Offense, and the results speak to that fact.

Just like hiring rookie Defensive-minded Head Coaches is also what we do.

Just now, Zachtomims47 said:

You truly think this offense would be top 10 in scoring because JSN is here?

Not with Zach Wilson at QB.  

49 minutes ago, bitonti said:

Everyone is looking for an answer at wide out meanwhile Jason brownlee earned his chance. 

Lets be real Zach couldn't feed Jsn. He can barely feed garrett. Zach has like 2 good throws a game. it's better than nothing but there's not enough pigskin in 200 yards throwing to feed another first Rd wr 

sad but true

2 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Our team's recent history isn't limited to Douglas.

I'll repeat, 17 of the last 24 first picks have been spent on Defense.

So yes, it's what we do.  We organizationally prioritize Defense over Offense, and the results speak to that fact.

Just like hiring rookie Defensive-minded Head Coaches is also what we do.

Not with Zach Wilson at QB.  

No doubt they do. But, draft is not the only way you acquire players. 

How has the offensive vs defense slant been in regard to free agency and trades?

19 minutes ago, Warfish said:

1. A record of 23-49

I might add the the good picks he has made were very high picks because they have consistently sucked in prior years affording JD high picks to look like a genius

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

No doubt they do. But, draft is not the only way you acquire players. 

How has the offensive vs defense slant been in regard to free agency and trades?

Look it up if you want to know.  By my memory Douglas's record on Offensive FA's is almost entirely poop, regardless of the ratio.

Here is what I know:  We suck at Offense and have for a quarter century, for the most part and with only very brief exception.

So celebrate bendy edge picks if it pleases you and be critical of those who wanted more Offense.

End of the day, I know you'll all be right next to me this offseason complaining when we finish in the bottom portion of the league again in Offense this year.

At least for a few minutes......before you start posting how we definitely need another Edge and a LB and CB with our first three picks in 2024, lol.

4 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Look it up if you want to know.  By my memory Douglas's record on Offensive FA's is almost entirely poop, regardless of the ratio.

Here is what I know:  We suck at Offense and have for a quarter century, for the most part and with only very brief exception.

So celebrate bendy edge picks if it pleases you and be critical of those who wanted more Offense.

End of the day, I know you'll all be right next to me this offseason complaining when we finish in the bottom portion of the league again in Offense this year.

At least for a few minutes......before you start posting how we definitely need another Edge and a LB and CB with our first three picks in 2024, lol.

Back on topic, JSN has hardly merited to date, a first round draft grade.

as of now, JSN is 104th in the league in receiving yards and 88th in receptions

rookies doing better than him include (by YTD yardage):

puka nacua, zay flowers, josh downs, sam laporta, tank dell, rashee rice, jordan addison, marvin mims, jayden reed, demario davis, jalin hyatt, dalton kinkaid, bijan robinson, and luke musgrave

heck, allen lazard has more yards than him

but yeah, JSN would have made the difference in the offense

• Upvote 1

34 minutes ago, Warfish said:

1. A record of 23-49

Edoga and Wesco were Big Mac draft picks not Douglas.

1 hour ago, Zachtomims47 said:

Yeah, I don't think the issue with the Jets since Douglas has been here has been a lack of "focus" on the offense. As you noted, he's used most of his premium draft capital on offensive players, and just thinking about his FA moves, also used a good chunk of his FA money on offensive players. 

The big thing that has hurt our offense since Douglas has been here has been missing on the QB (Wilson) and investing in good OL prospects who have repeatedly gotten hurt. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, jetblue95 said:

puka nacua, zay flowers, josh downs, sam laporta, tank dell, rashee rice, jordan addison, marvin mims, jayden reed, demario davis, jalin hyatt, dalton kinkaid, bijan robinson, and luke musgrave

heck, allen lazard has more yards than him

I don't have a horse in this race so I'll play both sides here. I think it's a really good point that so many rookie WR's are outperforming this so called best WR in the draft which kind of points to the idea that he wasn't good value there being correct. 

I also think he would have been used more here and have better stats given our WR situation which is very weak after GW. I don't think he'd have huge numbers because frankly we just aren't putting up much for passing numbers but this is a guy who can create separation pretty good and I think would be useful here.

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, jetblue95 said:

Just curious, are any of those better performing WR's playing behind two all-pro stud WR's?

7 minutes ago, jetblue95 said:

He would not have.

Jerry Rice could not save Zach Wilson.

15 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

I don't have a horse in this race so I'll play both sides here. I think it's a really good point that so many rookie WR's are outperforming this so called best WR in the draft which kind of points to the idea that he wasn't good value there being correct. 

I also think he would have been used more here and have better stats given our WR situation which is very weak after GW. I don't think he'd have huge numbers because frankly we just aren't putting up much for passing numbers but this is a guy who can create separation pretty good and I think would be useful here.

Don't you think Xavier Gipson can create separation?  

5 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Don't you think Xavier Gipson can create separation?  

He's only been targeted once this year so hard to say without going and watching all his snaps which I'm not doing. JSN is ranked pretty highly. I'd venture to guess Gipson is creating more separation than Cobb who inexplicably continues to get more snaps.

https://nextgenstats.nfl.com/stats/receiving#average-separation

38 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

for the record, i was not against taking a WR, and would have been fine with JSN.  i think during the draft thread when we were on the clock, i posted that they should take him (or another WR - i can't say i knew enough of the WR class to properly scout).  but i also understood why they took the pass rusher, even if i admittedly never heard of him before the jets called his name.

i do agree that once rodgers went down, that no WR would be putting up passing yardage given how limited to passing game is with zach pulling the trigger.  i guess the counter argument is that if rodgers stayed healthy, the in-place WR corps (at the time of the draft, they had wilson, lazard, davis and hardman and were expected to ultimately sign cobb), supplemented by the RBs/TEs was just as good as what rodgers had in GB during his recent MVP seasons (granted wilson wasn't adams, but still a primed for breakout #1 WR and complementary pieces)

39 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Just curious, are any of those better performing WR's playing behind two all-pro stud WR's?

He would not have.

Jerry Rice could not save Zach Wilson.

no, they are not behind two stud WRs, but if JSN is such an elite talent like many of his supporters make him to be, he likely would have done more to date.  half his stats came this week when metcalf was out.

you are correct on the second part, once zach stepped in, nothing was saving this passing game.  so JSN with zach at QB would only marginally be more productive than mcdonald has been at this point.

see my above post on my thoughts on the drafting of JSN and why i can understand why they didn't focus on a (slot) WR, even if i personally would have been fine with it (although the michigan alum in me would have been troubled to have to root for 2 buckeyes...)

7 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

He's only been targeted once this year so hard to say without going and watching all his snaps which I'm not doing. JSN is ranked pretty highly. I'd venture to guess Gipson is creating more separation than Cobb who inexplicably continues to get more snaps.

https://nextgenstats.nfl.com/stats/receiving#average-separation

My point was more that the guy is basically seen as a slot only option and seemed like a waste of resource at 15. 

• Upvote 2