Carl Lawson is no cheerleader

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootballtalk/rumor-mill/news/carl-lawson-i-want-to-play-more-im-a-football-player-not-a-cheerleader

“I definitely want to play and contribute. I know I can. I’ve proven that. Yeah, I always want to contribute, but right now I’m with the Jets, but I definitely want to play more. I definitely want to do what I did last year. . . . I’m a football player, not a cheerleader.”

2 minutes ago, Darnold's Forehead said:

I know his injury played a roll in his performance but damn.

Trey Hendrickson’s on his way to his 3rd pro bowl in a row with 29 sacks so far the last 2-1/2 seasons.

I never understood the hype behind the signing. Dude had like a 5 sack season under his belt with a lot of “QB pressures” and it was like they were signing some premiere pass rusher

• Upvote 3

16 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

Amazing how much those who can’t seem to play at the level expected or stay healthy are always talking about how they are ready to contribute if given a chance, a chance they were already  given, 

If you had to watch huff and JJ kick butt every week it makes sense.  He knows it.

• Upvote 2

Just now, Augustiniak said:

If you had to watch huff and JJ kick butt every week it makes sense.  He knows it.

We cheer for those two every week, so should he. Seems like a very hard working dude, 100% has the desire a powerful yet limited skill set. If he could stay healthy he could  be top 10 to 12 on motor alone, but it still holds true- best ability is availability. 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, JTJet said:

You know Carl Lawson has been here a full 2 years before Rodgers? 

Yeah, I was about to post that.

He came here because the Jets paid him the most, then missed his 1st year with an injury.   Not his fault, he popped an achilles, but he has been paid very well for what he has done for the team.

• Upvote 3

I think that you have to take these responses in the context of the questions they are asked.  Basically, the guy was pushing him if he wanted to play more.  What's he supposed to say?  Nah, I just want to sit here on my ass and collect checks? 

They signed him because he is a good fit for what they want to do.  He is a relentless EDGE that has the power to hold up, but will continue to put pressure.  He is not a sack demon, but he has the speed to do what we want and still hold up at the point of attack.  He also has a good attitude and I am sure he is an inspiration in the weight room.  I liken him to Thomas Jones on the other side of the ball.  I think JJ was drafted for that role, not that we can't have two, but I am not expecting 15 sacks out of either.  Probably not combined.  

If they can move him?  Cool.  

• Upvote 3

23 minutes ago, ganggreen305 said:

Who cares how much we are paying him.  He came here bc of AR.  That is fine.  Now just trade him if you can or bench him.  Play the young kids.  He looks washed.

17 minutes ago, JTJet said:

You know Carl Lawson has been here a full 2 years before Rodgers? 

11 minutes ago, chirorob said:

Yeah, I was about to post that.

He came here because the Jets paid him the most, then missed his 1st year with an injury.   Not his fault, he popped an achilles, but he has been paid very well for what he has done for the team.

I think he thought this was a Dalvin thread.

• Upvote 2

15 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

I think that you have to take these responses in the context of the questions they are asked.  Basically, the guy was pushing him if he wanted to play more.  What's he supposed to say?  Nah, I just want to sit here on my ass and collect checks? 

They signed him because he is a good fit for what they want to do.  He is a relentless EDGE that has the power to hold up, but will continue to put pressure.  He is not a sack demon, but he has the speed to do what we want and still hold up at the point of attack.  He also has a good attitude and I am sure he is an inspiration in the weight room.  I liken him to Thomas Jones on the other side of the ball.  I think JJ was drafted for that role, not that we can't have two, but I am not expecting 15 sacks out of either.  Probably not combined.  

If they can move him?  Cool.  

You do, for sure and I personally have no problem w/ was Lawson said here, he wants to play.

I do however, take issue w/ Dalvin Cook acting like he thought he was getting 20 touches a game.  He knew he was entering a crowded backfield and was going to play second fiddle to a much much much better player.  So while I know he was asked the question, to answer it like that makes him seem like an ass.  I cant imagine that he was told he would get 20 touches a game.  In fact, I'm pretty sure his line was "I'm here to play whatever role the Jets want me to play.  I chose the Jets because I like the vibe and what they're building here"...so, he can kick rocks. 

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Darnold's Forehead said:

Trey Hendrickson’s on his way to his 3rd pro bowl in a row with 29 sacks so far the last 2-1/2 seasons.

A lot of us were pounding the table for Hendrickson. There is a reason the Bengals allowed Lawson to leave in that same offseason they paid Trey.

• Upvote 2

51 minutes ago, ganggreen305 said:

Who cares how much we are paying him.  He came here bc of AR.  That is fine.  Now just trade him if you can or bench him.  Play the young kids.  He looks washed.

Are you in a reverse parallel universe?

I know it makes complete sense for the Jets to trade Cook and Lawson, but what team in their right mind is going to assume their salaries?

I think to make this work the Jets basically have to absorb at least half of each, and for that they get either a late round pick swap or another damaged player.  

41 minutes ago, JiF said:

You do, for sure and I personally have no problem w/ was Lawson said here, he wants to play.

I do however, take issue w/ Dalvin Cook acting like he thought he was getting 20 touches a game.  He knew he was entering a crowded backfield and was going to play second fiddle to a much much much better player.  So while I know he was asked the question, to answer it like that makes him seem like an ass.  I cant imagine that he was told he would get 20 touches a game.  In fact, I'm pretty sure his line was "I'm here to play whatever role the Jets want me to play.  I chose the Jets because I like the vibe and what they're building here"...so, he can kick rocks. 

I agree completely.  Sometimes, in addition to context, I consider how much weed most of these guys smoke.  They are not the most mature sober bunch.  Saying stupid sh*t comes easy.

33 minutes ago, bla bla bla said:

A lot of us were pounding the table for Hendrickson. There is a reason the Bengals allowed Lawson to leave in that same offseason they paid Trey.

I agree, but I think fit-wise I think they felt Lawson was perfect.  Hendrickson actually got a bigger deal and he was considered by many to be a one year wonder - though I guess many of us saw Lawson as a no year wonder.

27 minutes ago, sciond said:

Are you in a reverse parallel universe?

Even in a reverse universe would Rodgers have gotten here first?

4 minutes ago, varjet said:

I know it makes complete sense for the Jets to trade Cook and Lawson, but what team in their right mind is going to assume their salaries?

I think to make this work the Jets basically have to absorb at least half of each, and for that they get either a late round pick swap or another damaged player.  

Of course, but they are absorbing those salaries anyway.  Get a little draft capital, a little financial relief and look good with the players by doing others a solid and saving the lockerroom grumbling.

Just now, #27TheDominator said:

Yes.  We need more depth.  I mean after McDonald, Franklin-Myers and Clemons what do we have at DE? 

Well Clemons sucks and has been playing a lot of DT. JFM plays both DT and edge, McDonald hasn’t proven anything yet so yes more depth is needed if there’s an injury 

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, BurntDice said:

Well Clemons sucks and has been playing a lot of DT. JFM plays both DT and edge, McDonald hasn’t proven anything yet so yes more depth is needed if there’s an injury 

Clemons and JFM play DT because we have a metric sh*t ton of DE.  I will take the 6th rounder over a 6th DE.  It does not scare me to let JFM or Johnson play a few extra snaps outside and let Solomon Thomas or Jefferson play a bit extra.  

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, #27TheDominator said:

Clemons and JFM play DT because we have a metric sh*t ton of DE.  I will take the 6th rounder over a 6th DE.  It does not scare me to let JFM or Johnson play a few extra snaps outside and let Solomon Thomas or Jefferson play a bit extra.  

Clemons bulked up in the offseason and looks like crap since I have 0 faith in him this year. Lawson has been dealing with an injury and is hopefully healthier now. He’s proven to be a solid starting edge in the league and you want to get rid of him? 

2 hours ago, Darnold's Forehead said:

Yeah dude Joe Douglas is terrible at free agency 

3 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

I just don't understand why all these guys have to take this public.

Didn't used to be this way - maybe it's Saleh.  

Jamal Adams set the precident 

All you have to do is bash the team on social media and they will fold and give you everything you want 

It worked for Elijah Moore. 

• Upvote 2