Has a Jets GM had a worse year in the past 30 years or so than Joe Douglas?

Beerfish

His draft right now has provided less than the infamous Idzik 13 and his draft priorities were terrible.

He gave up massive draft capital for a player the other team was desperate to get rid of and there was no competition for that players services.

As expected the whole year is all about Rodgers, even in his injury all the stories are about rodgers.

(Got 4 snaps out the player you sold the teams soul for)

He 'improved' the team with the following signings:

Alan Lazard 4 years 11 million a year.  A total dog player so far.

Randall Cobb a guy who was done 2 to 3 years ago, got lots of snaps and provided nothing.

Billy Turner, terrible player here from one reason.  He is a buddy.

Tim Boyle, we have the worst Qb in the league backed up by the worst backup in the league.

Signed Dalvin Cook who has been terrible to a fat contract.

Brought in Nat Hackett a guy not one other team in the league would think about hiring as an oc after the Denver debacle.

Gave Quinnen Williams the biggest DT contract in the league for good 'pass rush win rates' and pff pressures.

His plan A was always Duane Brown at LT

He has utterly failed to do anything in season.  Other teams are picking up QBs that are at least competent, Joe sits on his hands. His big move to help the oline is Roger Saffold, he has done not one thing to bolster the weakest Wr group in the league.

His team 'plan' has just fallen apart this year and he is starting to resemble mike mccagnan level of gming

• Upvote 15
  • Thumb Down 22
  • WTF? 1
  • Post of the Week 7
  • Ugh 3
  • More Ugh 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Keep in mind, his "plan", such that is was, was to get a contract extension for himself as he looks at his final contract year in 2024.

So if he does in fact get one this coming offseason, I guess his plan was a good one, for him.

I'd would prefer his plan be get the jets to be good.

If his off season was just semi competant he would have easily gotten a long extension with Saleh.

He probably will still get one but he sure as hell does not deserve it off of his work this year.

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, bla bla bla said:

I think people need to get over the Lazard, Cobb, Turner, and Cook signings. Those were the cost of locking in Rodgers to NY.

Our issue is we missed on the Zach pick. Full stop. If you remove QB from the equation, I'm not sure there are 5 other rosters you'd prefer to have. I'd gladly take Jets 2023 roster over any Jets roster I've seen since I started watching.

So this is a good thing that we added to the Rodgers cost of huge draft capital and a huge salary with adding about 5 players and a coach that make the teams substantially worse?

Sorry adding 5 worse pieces to your team to go all in on a player makes that player totally not worth it.

As for Zac Wilson they yanked him in favor or backups last year then replaced him this year with Rodgers.   And Douglas's prudent back up plan to Rodgers getting hurt was......nothing.

Hey overall I like Douglas, he does some things really well but this past years worth of moves has been a greek tragedy.

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 1

8 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

His draft right now has provided less than the infamous Idzik 13 and his draft priorities were terrible.

He gave up massive draft capital for a player the other team was desperate to get rid of and there was no competition for that players services.

As expected the whole year is all about Rodgers, even in his injury all the stories are about rodgers.

Randall Cobb a guy who was done 2 to 3 years ago, got lots of snaps and provided nothing.

Tim Boyle, we have the worst Qb in the league backed up by the worst backup in the league.

Brought in Nat Hackett a guy not one other team in the league would think about hiring as an oc after the Denver debacle.

Gave Quinnen Williams the biggest DT contract in the league for good 'pass rush win rates' and pff pressures.

He has utterly failed to do anything in season.  Other teams are picking up QBs that are at least competent, Joe sits on his hands. His big move to help the oline is Roger Saffold, he has done not one thing to bolster the weakest Wr group in the league.

His team 'plan' has just fallen apart this year and he is starting to resemble mike mccagnan level of gming

You answered your own question with your point about selling the team’s soul for AR. When Woody gave JD the mandate to get AR at all costs, the rest was predictable. JD now works for Rodgers,period. I’ve been a Jet fan for 57 years and a season ticket holder for 44 years. This is the most f**ked up this team has ever been and that’s saying a mouthful. There is no end in sight other than new ownership and that looks like it will never happen. We are the biggest joke in pro sports.

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

1 minute ago, Beerfish said:

Sorry adding 5 worse pieces to your team to go all in on a player makes that player totally not worth it.

This is a very relative statement. If Rodgers was healthy and we're first place in the AFC East (admittedly a big "if") I think that player is 100% worth it.

1 minute ago, Beerfish said:

As for Zac Wilson they yanked him in favor or backups last year then replaced him this year with Rodgers.   And Douglas's prudent back up plan to Rodgers getting hurt was......nothing.

This is the real whiff. Subjecting the team to another season of Zach Wilson should have never been allowed as a possibility.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Larz said:

Rodgers stays healthy and you’re kissing his ass 

just stop 

Nice to make unproveable statements.

What you said is the issue, there was one strategy and only one.  Sell the whole farm and all the animals for a 40 yer old QB with no backup plan and no thought of saving a season.  All the eggs put in one basket with a team that has lots of talent in other positions.

In the end no one cares about injury excuses in this league, you succeed or you fail.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, dbatesman said:

Your takes on Quinnen are getting dumber somehow

I'm fine with that.

As many of you are fine with making a DT the highest paid DT in the league coming off a great year and a 12 sack year with half a sack, meanwhile each week other teams dlienman are indeed game wrecking games.

I'll be happy to eat my crow when he makes 1st team all pro.

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Nice to make unproveable statements.

What you said is the issue, there was one strategy and only one.  Sell the whole farm and all the animals for a 40 yer old QB with no backup plan and no thought of saving a season.  All the eggs put in one basket with a team that has lots of talent in other positions.

In the end no one cares about injury excuses in this league, you succeed or you fail.

Dude....in the NFL, there is ever ONLY one strategy.  What is KC's plan if Mahomes goes down for the season?  Blaine Gabbert?  What is Miam's plan if Tua goes down?  Skylar Thompson?  What's Baltimore's plan for Lamar?  Tyler Huntley?  The Eagles might be okay with Mariota, and San Fran can seem to just plug and play QB's at will.  

In the NFL, 9 times out of 10 when your starting QB goes down for the season, so does your season.  

It was a HUGE risk with Rodgers, but given how he hadn't lost a season in forever to injury, I can see why they took the swing.  Rodgers going down after 4 plays is the all-time FU to this franchise.  

If you want to be pissed, why isn't Saleh playing McDonald more?  He should be.  Why isn't he playing Izzy?  He should be.  Warren and Converse have been injured, and Kuntz is a project player.  Tippeman has played well.  

The plan was Zach Wilson as the backup, because we were already spending a lot on him.  I am sure they thought he would have to play once in a while, but nobody thought he'd be the starter 4 plays into the season.  This happens to any of the teams above, they are 4-4 right now as well.  

The one area I definitely think JD deserves some heat is the WR position.  We thought it was a strength, and it clearly wasn't.  I think there should have been a WR picked in the first 3-4 rounds, and I think we should have been a bit more 'in' on another F/A WR.  I know JD has been working the phones, and I am sure the 1st round pick is still tied up in the GB deal.  

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

I don't know why people get so hung up on Billy Turner. The guy is our 4th string T and G. He has a bunch of starting experience. What do people expect 4th string linemen to look like?

A lot of the problems are caused by injuries. We've been pretty unlucky with oline injuries the past 2 years.

I know every team deals with injuries but what can a GM do about losing so many starters on the oline and the starting QB? It's not going to be good.

The handling of the wr situation was malpractice.

• Upvote 4
  • WTF? 1
  • Sympathy 1

31 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Tippman is a starter, and McGriddle has just started to get reps. How about we give it the entire season first.

Two 2nds is massive capitial. Mac gave up three 2nds for a chance to draft Darnold.

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

I'm fine with that.

As many of you are fine with making a DT the highest paid DT in the league coming off a great year and a 12 sack year with half a sack, meanwhile each week other teams dlienman are indeed game wrecking games.

I'll be happy to eat my crow when he makes 1st team all pro.

Still going!

• Haha 2

26 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

I'd would prefer his plan be get the jets to be good.

If his off season was just semi competant he would have easily gotten a long extension with Saleh.

He probably will still get one but he sure as hell does not deserve it off of his work this year.

You made me think, I hate doing that ha. He fought hard not to give up a lot of draft capital for rodgers. I still think he caved. Here is a question I think is obvious. Is the McDonald pick really worth 2 second rounders ? It’s obvious the packers would rather have took a 13th overall pick instead of 2 2nd round picks. But something tells me they would laugh in JDs face if after the pick he offered Will McDonald for 2 2nd rounders  🙈

22 hours ago, Beerfish said:

You have a short or very selective memory. This team once drafted:

O'Brien over Marino

Kyle Brady over Warren Sapp and in and on. 

In the offseason before the 1996 season, the Jets spent $70 Million on Free Agents for the Offense alone (Including Neil O'Donnell, OT David Williams, and WR Webster Slaughter lol). That's $190 Million in 2023 Money.  

Shall I continue?

8 minutes ago, kevinc855 said:

This is pure nonsense. A well run organization like the 49ers were paying Tray Lance alot and moved on.....

You see he doesnt have it and you move on

To be fair, the 49ers could afford to take the Lance hit and move on. They're making the conference champs every season.