Zach Wilson is not Josh Rosen

Dunnie

26 minutes ago, chirorob said:

Ok, what I meant was.

They "train him".   He never plays, but now someone wants to give the Chiefs a 1st rounder.  (not likely)

Now, his contract is up after next year, so HOW do the Chiefs trade him?   He's a FA.  Or, do the Chiefs immediately exercise his 20 million 5th year option, risking paying a backup QB 20 million.

This is not a likely scenario

with paying Mahomes i don't think the Chiefs can afford to pay Zach Wilson $5.4mm next season as a backup.

Maybe it works if the Jets assume some of Zach's salary, which basically is buying a draft pick.  

I love how people keep acting like the mental part of the game is so much easier than the physical.  It's so easy that he can't do something that he has been taught to do since he was 6 years old?  He has had a ton of guys "coaching him up" and spent the summers presumably  honing his craft with whatever the best coaches that can be hired with his multi-million dollar salary.  I know he started with John Beck.  Still dirting dump offs to the back, but a few months with Andy Reid who will be taking time out from developing his offense and coaching his actual QB and he will be A FRANCHISE QB!!!

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, 56mehl56 said:

Slow processing speed is not the same as playing tentative or being afraid to make a mistake. The result ends up the same but one you may be able to correct the other not as likely. 

Agree they are not the same thing.  Zach has never lacked confidence.  If anything he's been overconfident.  

You don't tell the organization you're reluctant to play unless you're very confident the organization is going to back down. 

17 minutes ago, 56mehl56 said:

Slow processing speed is not the same as playing tentative or being afraid to make a mistake. The result ends up the same but one you may be able to correct the other not as likely. 

Which one are you more likely to correct?  The result ends up the same because if you process things slowly and are not tentative you throw a million picks.  Confidence is incredibly important in football and processing speed often picks up as people get used to the speed of the game.  Both can improve, but it is generally slow incremental improvements and not something that generally takes you from 3 years of busthood to worth a number 1.  Stranger things have happened, but not many.

1 hour ago, DonCorleone said:

Do you believe that if he has a strong finish, he will be with the Jets next season? I don't know, it appears that so much has gone on that he may want out no matter what. I am just going based on what has transpired. 

What he wants really doesn’t matter. He is contractually obligated, no?

Anyway, if he has 4 more games like last week, you have to look at what changed and then ask yourself if it can be sustained change. If yes, you find a way to keep him.

Either way, most evidence suggests it’s a 1-time thing. So, we’ll have to just see what happens….

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

Jets fans are so f'ng weird.

I want to be clear on this, I think its time for the jets and ZW to part ways, Jets are going with AR for at least another year, and the fan base and media is so soured on ZW. I thought he should have been gone last offseason when we got AR.

But damn, the complete lack of objectivity is just flat out idiotic, which I guess is to be expected by, idiots.

By just about every attribute you could ask for in a QB, ZW has improved this season. His completion %, his TD/Int ratio, his leadership in that his teammates now seem to actually like him.

Is he good, no, one good game against a soft Texans D does not make him good, but ignoring his improvement is just idiotic. He is playing for a bad offense, which has a bad line, and one receiving threat, and a completely non-existent running game. That is hard for any QB to thrive in, and we saw the offense actually look worse with 2 "professional QB's".

He has attributes that are very good for a QB, he has the height, the arm strength, the quick release, and enough mobility to make plays out of the pocket. He has also showed some resilience that quite frankly I did not think he had.

ZW had zero business playing NFL QB prior to this year on his mechanical issues alone, they were not NFL ready, and ZW takes plenty of blame for that, along with the Jets for playing someone with such terrible mechanical issues.

But, the idea that a young QB cannot improve is just so f'ng idiotic. The idea that he can't go somewhere else and thrive is laughable. And just because a bunch of know nothing nitwits on a Jets message board hate his guts, does not mean that others in a QB needy NFL do not see his improvement and the terrible situation he has been in from day 1 to take a chance on him.

Just when I think the nitwit crew can't get any more nitwitty, they prove me wrong... Good work crew

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 2

6 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Your disdain for 99% of our fanbase has been well documented by you at this point Frank.

So TLDR:  You want to move on from Zach Wilson.  Got it.

And by every major metric, he remains one of the lowest producing QB's in the NFL for a third year running.

So just to emphasize, you're writing this screed denouncing the 99% of fans as "f'ing weird" "Nitwits" despite your own view being entirely in-line with all those weird fans, i.e. time to move on from Zach, and Zach isn't good.  Got it.

Seems your entire issue is that the 99% aren't seeing or posting about his improvement (a questionable claim tbh), as opposed to their more important position, shared with you, that it's time this offseason to move on from Zach because Zach isn't very good.

I think much of the 99% would agree with that, and have done so here on JN.  Maybe you don't read those threads, who knows.

I don't recall seeing anyone but the Zach-truthers make this straw man claim.

The 99% all agree that QB's can improve.  And that Zach has not improved enough in his three years here to warrant continued investment.

A position you yourself have also taken here, that it's time to move on from Zach, and that Zach isn't very good.  

We'll see.  Jets Fans said the same things about Sanchez, Geno & Darnold they're now saying about Wilson. 

Maybe he will, maybe he won't.  Most ex-Jet QB's haven't.

So just to be clear, the 99% "hate his guts" and that's why we say what we say.

But you, you're a 30 year expert in football, coaching and statistical analysis, and you're saying in this very post that it's time to move on from Zach and that Zach isn't very good.

But your position is pure hard objective intellectual logic, not hate at all, despite your constant use of emotional language in your posts.

While the position of the dismissed 99%, the "stupid" "emotional" nitwit' fans, is just hate.  Nothing but hate.

Yet your opinion of Zach, and their opinion of Zach, exactly the same.

Interesting, that.

Very interesting, thanks for hosting this Ted talk, I for one enjoyed it.

Pretty much spot on, thanks for taking the time to read, hopefully it broke a bit outside of the ehco chamber you enjoy here so much

1 hour ago, #27TheDominator said:

Which one are you more likely to correct?  The result ends up the same because if you process things slowly and are not tentative you throw a million picks.  Confidence is incredibly important in football and processing speed often picks up as people get used to the speed of the game.  Both can improve, but it is generally slow incremental improvements and not something that generally takes you from 3 years of busthood to worth a number 1.  Stranger things have happened, but not many.

Confidence and trusting your skill set is paramount to becoming a quality QB in the NFL. But the coaching staff has to have confidence in the QB as well to trust him to make plays and not go ultra conservative. If the CS was telling ZW to not make mistakes, take sacks if necessary and punt the ball then they are equally culpable in ZW's lack of development. Would ZW still suck if allowed to just fling it every game - possibly , would the offense be scoring more than 6 points a game , I believe so.  I don't think 4 more games will prove the point either way , I just think its a shame  we've saddled a #2 draft pick QB with a ultra conservative offensive mindset.  

• Post of the Week 2

2 minutes ago, 56mehl56 said:

Confidence and trusting your skill set is paramount to becoming a quality QB in the NFL. But the coaching staff has to have confidence in the QB as well to trust him to make plays and not go ultra conservative. If the CS was telling ZW to not make mistakes, take sacks if necessary and punt the ball then they are equally culpable in ZW's lack of development. Would ZW still suck if allowed to just fling it every game - possibly , would the offense be scoring more than 6 points a game , I believe so.  I don't think 4 more games will prove the point either way , I just think its a shame  we've saddled a #2 draft pick QB with a ultra conservative offensive mindset.  

Great post, this has been my point all year

46 minutes ago, 56mehl56 said:

That's fine.  I don't agree.  I think he saddled himself with it by sucking.  They certainly didn't saddle him with it in 2021 and he sucked.  Pretty much the same thing last year.  Mike LaFleur is not a conservative run the ball three times and punt OC.  He might not have gotten along with the kid, but let's not act like this was Rex trying to win 9-6.  If you have to reminded not to throw INTs or run backwards like a moron, it is not on the coaches.  They let him throw 49 times against the Chargers.  ULTRA CONSERVATIVE!  

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

42 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

That's fine.  I don't agree.  I think he saddled himself with it by sucking.  They certainly didn't saddle him with it in 2021 and he sucked.  Pretty much the same thing last year.  Mike LaFleur is not a conservative run the ball three times and punt OC.  He might not have gotten along with the kid, but let's not act like this was Rex trying to win 9-6.  If you have to reminded not to throw INTs or run backwards like a moron, it is not on the coaches.  They let him throw 49 times against the Chargers.  ULTRA CONSERVATIVE!  

They were losing in the Chargers game, even conservative win by D HC's like Saleh have no choice but to open things up when trailing by a large margin. Maybe MLF by nature is not a conservative OC , but if you look at last years games they didn't scream wide open offense by any means. Again I'm not stating ZW has no blame or even that he can become a quality NFL QB , I just would have liked a chance to have seen him giving more free reign. 

• Upvote 1
  • More Ugh 1

16 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Well, Blaine Gabbert is the Chiefs backup now and has been a good statistical comp for Zach. Can they trade him for a first? 

You just guaranteed Gabbert will be the Jets backup next year.  You know, insurance for a 41 yo QB coming off a major injury in a make or break season.  <3 JD

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, 56mehl56 said:

They were losing in the Chargers game, even conservative win by D HC's like Saleh have no choice but to open things up when trailing by a large margin. Maybe MLF by nature is not a conservative OC , but if you look at last years games they didn't scream wide open offense by any means. Again I'm not stating ZW has no blame or even that he can become a quality NFL QB , I just would have liked a chance to have seen him giving more free reign. 

That's just where you and I disagree.  I think they did give him more free rein and he either sucked or reined himself in.  The Jets were throwing like crazy with Flacco and White.  Hell, even Josh Johnson.  Yes, they were behind against the Chargers.  Is Zach only able to succeed when allowed to throw with the lead?  He had 39 attempts against the Raiders and they were never down by more than a score.  The Jets are like 15th in pass attempts per game.  Last year they were 7th.  2021 they were 13th.  When you consider the number of plays they run per game due to the startling lack of 1st downs I don't think they are hindering his development by not letting him pass.   If anybody should be complaining it is Breece Hall.

• Upvote 3

11 hours ago, Warfish said:

Zach Wilson is not Josh Rosen primarily because Josh Rosen wasn't given the opportunity to play as long as Zach did.

Apart from that, their production levels as starters are quite similar:

57.2% vs. 55.2%, Comp %

2.3% TD Passes vs. 2.8% TD Passes

3.6% INT's vs. 2.6% INT's

23/25 TD/INT Ratio vs. 11/14 TD/INT

6.4 YPA vs. 5.8 YPA

73.6 QB Rating vs. 66.7 QB Rating

Unquestionably, Rosen is the clear worse of the two, but he was given one year, then traded and relegated to oblivion.  The right call by the Cards, even if it hasn't resulted in much, they're better without him.

Zach, conversely, has now started for three seasons (regardless of "intent" this year), and we have a large amount of fans who want to keep him,. and think he'll "be a beast in this league" and "start for a long time in this league", both said just today.

While I doubt Rosen would have ever improved much, we'll never really know.  Zach tho, we do know.  Three years worth of knowing.

Our QB does not have to be great with this defense. Zach has honestly played above average football this season with the hand he was delt. At the very least compared to the QBs we through out after him. We can win football games with him when he isn't constantly turning the ball over. I would not be surprised if we regret letting him land on another roster.

• Thumb Down 1
  • Haha 1

47 minutes ago, bealeb319 said:

Our QB does not have to be great with this defense. Zach has honestly played above average football this season with the hand he was delt. At the very least compared to the QBs we through out after him. We can win football games with him when he isn't constantly turning the ball over. I would not be surprised if we regret letting him land on another roster.

Above average football? Zach Wilson? The #2 overall pick is getting outplayed  in year 3 by an undrafted free agent rookie named Tommy cutlets. 

we will not regret letting him go and we will never win more than a handful of games with him. To be frank he is atrocious. The biggest bust the jets have ever drafted. He had a decent game last week. That doesn’t change anything. We have seen 3 years of ineptitude from this clown.

cant wait to move on from him 

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Flea Flicking Frank said:

Jets fans are so f'ng weird.

I want to be clear on this, I think its time for the jets and ZW to part ways, Jets are going with AR for at least another year, and the fan base and media is so soured on ZW. I thought he should have been gone last offseason when we got AR.

But damn, the complete lack of objectivity is just flat out idiotic, which I guess is to be expected by, idiots.

By just about every attribute you could ask for in a QB, ZW has improved this season. His completion %, his TD/Int ratio, his leadership in that his teammates now seem to actually like him.

Is he good, no, one good game against a soft Texans D does not make him good, but ignoring his improvement is just idiotic. He is playing for a bad offense, which has a bad line, and one receiving threat, and a completely non-existent running game. That is hard for any QB to thrive in, and we saw the offense actually look worse with 2 "professional QB's".

He has attributes that are very good for a QB, he has the height, the arm strength, the quick release, and enough mobility to make plays out of the pocket. He has also showed some resilience that quite frankly I did not think he had.

ZW had zero business playing NFL QB prior to this year on his mechanical issues alone, they were not NFL ready, and ZW takes plenty of blame for that, along with the Jets for playing someone with such terrible mechanical issues.

But, the idea that a young QB cannot improve is just so f'ng idiotic. The idea that he can't go somewhere else and thrive is laughable. And just because a bunch of know nothing nitwits on a Jets message board hate his guts, does not mean that others in a QB needy NFL do not see his improvement and the terrible situation he has been in from day 1 to take a chance on him.

Just when I think the nitwit crew can't get any more nitwitty, they prove me wrong... Good work crew

Back in the 1970's, believe it or not, lots of times teams gave highly drafted QB's a "5 Year Apprenticeship", that's how a guy like Jim Plunkett hung around long enough to win a Super Bowl with Oakland after being mostly horrific with some horrific New England Patriot teams.  Plunkett didn't have half the physical skill set of Wilson, threw a real ugly ball lots of the time.

Not saying Wilson can do it, but to see him outplay Patrick Mahomes and then put up 30 points in a half of football and win AFC Offensive Player of the Week from his play last Sunday while making throws not many QBs can should at least give the Jets AND their fans pause before they salivate getting rid of Wilson for a 5th Rd draft pick.  QB's don't grow on trees, there are Very Few good ones.

On a side note, does Anyone know who is 2nd In the NFL in DROPPED PASSES in 2023?  Why it's the NY Jets.  Rodgers starts in 2024, I'm hoping they don't just discard Wilson.  In fact I hope he lights up Miami this Sunday, that will make for a real fun board discussion, and even if he doesn't I still hope he's on the roster in 2024.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, bealeb319 said:

Our QB does not have to be great with this defense.

But it'd be better if they were great tho, right?  Or very good?  Or above average?

Zach has honestly played above average football this season with the hand he was delt.

His biggest fans certainly like to think so.  

I would not be surprised if we regret letting him land on another roster.

Said Jets Fans about every QB we ever let go.  At least you didn't mention him on the Pats and winning 6 rings there, lol.

• Upvote 3

31 minutes ago, JoeWillieWhiteShoesHOF said:

Back in the 1970's, believe it or not, lots of times teams gave highly drafted QB's a "5 Year Apprenticeship", that's how a guy like Jim Plunkett hung around long enough to win a Super Bowl with Oakland after being mostly horrific with some horrific New England Patriot teams.  Plunkett didn't have half the physical skill set of Wilson, threw a real ugly ball lots of the time.

Not saying Wilson can do it, but to see him outplay Patrick Mahomes and then put up 30 points in a half of football and win AFC Offensive Player of the Week from his play last Sunday while making throws not many QBs can should at least give the Jets AND their fans pause before they salivate getting rid of Wilson for a 5th Rd draft pick.  QB's don't grow on trees, there are Very Few good ones.

On a side note, does Anyone know who is 2nd In the NFL in DROPPED PASSES in 2023?  Why it's the NY Jets.  Rodgers starts in 2024, I'm hoping they don't just discard Wilson.  In fact I hope he lights up Miami this Sunday, that will make for a real fun board discussion, and even if he doesn't I still hope he's on the roster in 2024.

Exactly, and, in the 70's, college offenses were like light NFL offenses, today, the offenses are copletely different. ZW should not have started year 1, and arguably not year 2 neither He was not ready, his mechanics were flawed. 

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, carlito1171 said:

Large part of the issue honestly.....

IDK if Adderall wasn't a banned substance if it would magically allow him to slow his processing enough to see the field but as someone with ADHD who's mind moves a mile a minute I can see how it's a hinderance to him playing consistently......would love to know how he's treating it without medication if he was taking it previously with good results....

Adderall is banned by the NFL? Isn’t that like discrimination or something?

6 hours ago, Flea Flicking Frank said:

Exactly, and, in the 70's, college offenses were like light NFL offenses, today, the offenses are copletely different. ZW should not have started year 1, and arguably not year 2 neither He was not ready, his mechanics were flawed. 

Year 1 it was actually CRIMINAL to start ZW or ANY other QB the Jets might have drafted that year.  Virtually the ENTIRE roster wouldn’t make the roster of practically Any other NFL team as the 53rd man that year.

No WR’s, No RB’s, No TE’s, No OL…so the Kid is pressed into thinking he has to do it ALL by himself, and he tried, but it was all moot.  You can’t Win playing 1 on 11, but that’s close to what it was.

Year 2, his head was so f**ked up and in terror of having Any kind of Turnover he’s bouncing balls and throwing 20 feet over the heads of guys 10 feet away from him when his college tape NEVER showed any of that.

Year 3 we have seen 2 games that PROVE WHY he was drafted #2 in the Nation, even the Giant game where he looked terrible in terrible weather almost all game, he hit throws on that final drive that almost No One in the NFL could, if you don’t see that again this year fine trade him for some low draft pick, but I don’t think that will be the case….starting Sunday in Miami.  Again don’t forget that he’s playing with a unit 2nd in the league in dropped passes and has one of the Worst OC’s in league history, Rodgers’ baggage handler.

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

Adderall is banned by the NFL? Isn’t that like discrimination or something?
I have ADHD ... You can develop focus mechanisms ... Of course I'm old enough where they didn't call it that back when I was a kid... The cool thing is that once focused you are laser focused

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

• Upvote 1

23 hours ago, Biggs said:

Agree they are not the same thing.  Zach has never lacked confidence.  If anything he's been overconfident.  

I'm always at a loss when some of you presume you know the deepest inner working of the minds of the person to this level of intimacy.

TLDR:  You have no idea what Zach's level of confidence was, or is.   You just presume you do.   

• Upvote 1

23 hours ago, Biggs said:

Eh, he's always feigned confidence, but we have no idea how confident he's actually been. FWIW, he did not look like a confident player to me last year. 

To me, a confident QB attempts tight window throws and doesn't worry about throwing picks. 

This past week, he played confidently - the lob to Tyler Conklin, the 20 yard throw to Ruckert, the cross body throw to GW - THOSE were confident throws. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Warfish said:

I'm always at a loss when some of you presume you know the deepest inner working of the minds of the person to this level of intimacy.

TLDR:  You have no idea what Zach's level of confidence was, or is.   You just presume you do.   

This. Zach repeatedly saying that he has a lot of confidence doesn't mean he's actually confident. 

• Upvote 1