Should Jets Fans be Hopeful for Next Season?

JetNation

Aaron Rodgers

The New York Jets’ journey in the NFL has been a rollercoaster of emotions, with the team experiencing both highs and lows. Let’s look at the current state of the Jets, analyzing their performance, key player updates, playoff hopes, and what the future holds for them, particularly in light of Aaron Rodgers’ situation, and assess whether fans should remain hopeful for the upcoming season.

The Long Playoff Drought

The New York Jets have been grappling with a significant challenge, not having made the playoffs since 2010. This duration marks the longest postseason drought in major North American men’s professional sports. Such a record is indicative of the struggles and inconsistencies the team has faced over the years, raising questions about their strategy and execution on the field.

Arrival of Aaron Rodgers: A New Hope and Subsequent Setback

The acquisition of Aaron Rodgers was seen as a turning point for the Jets. His arrival brought a wave of optimism, with Rodgers expressing confidence in the team’s potential to win it all.

“I’m an old guy, so I want to be a part of a team that can win it all and I believe this is a place where we can get that done,” Rodgers told reporters after the Jets introduced him on April 26. However, this hope suffered a major blow when Rodgers tore his left Achilles in the season opener against the Bills on September 11, an injury expected to sideline him for the entire season. This incident significantly impacted the team’s dynamics and prospects for the season.

Rodgers’ Recovery and Return: The Rapid Healing and Comeback Possibility

In an unexpected twist, Rodgers has shown remarkable recovery speed from his Achilles injury. His determination to return to the field this season has been a source of inspiration. On November 29, Jets head coach Robert Saleh announced the start of Rodgers’ 21-day practice window, which gives the Jets three weeks to decide whether or not Rodgers will return this season.

Wilson’s Statement Game

With Rodgers out since Week 1, the Jets turned to Zach Wilson, the No. 2 overall pick in the 2021 NFL Draft. The Jets once taught that Wilson would be their franchise quarterback but his struggles in his first two years in the league, particularly with interceptions, led to their decision to pursue Rodgers in the offseason. Wilson embraced the challenge to take over for Rodgers this year and even showed flashes of brilliance, but the weeks passed, and it was clear that he was not the answer at quarterback. Wilson was benched in the second half of the 32-6 road loss against the Bills on November 19.

Tim Boyle was the starting quarterback in the next two games, but he played poorly and was pulled from the 13-8 home loss against the Falcons on December 3 in favor of Trevor Siemian. The Jets waived Boyle on Tuesday, and he will be replaced by Brett Rypien, who joins Wilson, Rodgers, and Siemian in the Jets’ quarterback room for the rest of the season. Wilson came back on Sunday, and he made a statement, helping the Jets crush the Texans 30-6 at home by throwing for 301 yards, two touchdowns and no interceptions, completing 27 of 36 passes.

“The second half, I thought Zach probably played the best game of his career,” head coach Robert Saleh said after the game. “He was out there having a good time, and he made a lot of things happen that weren’t there. … I thought he was outstanding today.”

The third-year signal-caller found Garrett Wilson for nine catches and 108 yards, running back Breece Hall made eight receptions for 86 yards and a touchdown, and tight end Tyler Conklin added 57 receiving yards on four catches. Wilson’s 117.9 passer rating was the highest of his career. His 301 passing yards and 27 completions are both the third-most he’ thrown in a game. Wilson let his play do all the talking, giving fans hope that the Jets can build off this performance and end the season on a positive note.

Upcoming Challenges: Facing Tough Opponents in the Division

The Jets have two must-win division games against Miami and New England. It won’t be easy, especially against the Dolphins. The Jets lost 34-13 against the Dolphins at home on November 24 and the Miami defense has been on fire with the Bradley Chubb and Jaelan Phillips duo.

Unfortunately, the Achilles injury Phillips suffered in the previous game against the Jets will force him to miss the rest of the season. Former North Carolina State star Bradley Chubb has been on an absolute tear of late. NC State and Panther fans will be happy to know that North Carolina is next in line of the states to officially legalize online sports betting and North Carolina betting apps are sure to see a lot of action come in once the state goes live.

Future Prospects: Evaluating the Jets’ Potential for Next Season

Despite the current challenges, the Jets show signs of potential that could be harnessed in the upcoming season. The possible return of key players like Rodgers, coupled with strategic improvements, could change the team’s fortunes. Fans, while understandably cautious, have reasons to remain hopeful for a turnaround in the team’s performance.

In conclusion, the New York Jets’ situation is a complex mix of challenges, opportunities, and uncertainties. While the current season has been difficult, the team’s efforts, especially in the face of adversity, hint at a resilience that could lead to better days. Whether this translates into success in the next season remains to be seen, but there is certainly a foundation for optimism.

The key to the Jets’ future success lies in capitalizing on their strengths, addressing their weaknesses, and nurturing the potential of their players. With a focused approach to team building, strategic game planning, and fostering a winning culture, the Jets can turn their fortunes around.

Fans should look forward to seeing how the team evolves, especially with Aaron Rodgers under center for a full season. The journey ahead is undoubtedly challenging, but with determination and the right moves, the Jets can reestablish themselves as a formidable force in the NFL.

The post Should Jets Fans be Hopeful for Next Season? appeared first on JetNation.com - New York Jets Blog & Forum.

Click here to read the full story...

I think if they string together a few victories from now to seasons end it should carry over to next season.  Zach and the offense had a good game last Sunday.  They need to back up that performance.  A win against the doltfins would be great.  And if Zach does continue to do well then there’s no real need to get a back up qb unless they decide to trade him.  Zach has finally gained the confidence of the team.

• Upvote 2
  • More Ugh 2

2 minutes ago, jamesr said:

This year we (meaning the front office) seemed to assume that Rodgers' buddies would suffice at certain positions - my hope is that this notion is proven to be a disaster and that we can't go into next year with the likes of Lazard and Cobb at WR, or Turner anywhere near our OL.

Rodgers or not, we have to strengthen OL and WR - significantly - to compete next year. Not just a band aid fix, proper investment in either proven commodities in FA or to prospects in the draft. Otherwise the lessons from this year will be lost and we'll be in a similar state next year thinking about what might have been.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

This is it right here. Hopefully, we're double dipping in OL and WR through free agency and draft.

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, Adoni Beast said:

This is it right here. Hopefully, we're double dipping in OL and WR through free agency and draft.

Love the idea of a double dip. especially at WR - if we could get a guy like Tee Higgins or similar as a high priced FA signing and then draft a mid round guy to develop as our #3 / #4 (eventual Lazard replacement).

It could get interesting with OT. You obviously do not want to hit the draft with a hole at LT, cornering you into taking one however the board falls. Becton and Brown are both still TBC ... I hope we move on from Brown as he's no longer reliable; Becton will be the big decision. has he shown enough - health wise and ability wise - to invest in a big new contract for him? And if we do, do we then deprioritise LT in the draft? I think the ideal scenario would be to re-sign Becton to as good a deal as we can, and draft an OT in Round 1 who can start at RT and move to LT as soon as required (if Becton gets hurt or if his performance does not show improvement). I don't expect there'll be a significantly better LT option in FA, and although his health has been far better this year his level of play is still short of what you would consider a franchise LT (IMHO). But whether he'll take a reasonable deal or seek the most money elsewhere remains to be seen. We can't afford to overpay him - but if he walks, do we have a Plan B other than throwing a rookie OT into the fire from day one - thus boxing us in on our Day 1 pick? 

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, jamesr said:

Love the idea of a double dip. especially at WR - if we could get a guy like Tee Higgins or similar as a high priced FA signing and then draft a mid round guy to develop as our #3 / #4 (eventual Lazard replacement).

It could get interesting with OT. You obviously do not want to hit the draft with a hole at LT, cornering you into taking one however the board falls. Becton and Brown are both still TBC ... I hope we move on from Brown as he's no longer reliable; Becton will be the big decision. has he shown enough - health wise and ability wise - to invest in a big new contract for him? And if we do, do we then deprioritise LT in the draft? I think the ideal scenario would be to re-sign Becton to as good a deal as we can, and draft an OT in Round 1 who can start at RT and move to LT as soon as required (if Becton gets hurt or if his performance does not show improvement). I don't expect there'll be a significantly better LT option in FA, and although his health has been far better this year his level of play is still short of what you would consider a franchise LT (IMHO). But whether he'll take a reasonable deal or seek the most money elsewhere remains to be seen. We can't afford to overpay him - but if he walks, do we have a Plan B other than throwing a rookie OT into the fire from day one - thus boxing us in on our Day 1 pick? 

If this isn't the offseason approach, then they're dumber than I thought. You're either doing the "ALL IN" thing or you're not for the 2 years or so of AR8.

They should be actively looking to sign/trade an OT and WR pre-draft + draft OL + WR (or Bowers at least he's an offensive weapon) with their first two picks.

5 minutes ago, Adoni Beast said:

If this isn't the offseason approach, then they're dumber than I thought. You're either doing the "ALL IN" thing or you're not for the 2 years or so of AR8.

They should be actively looking to sign/trade an OT and WR pre-draft + draft OL + WR (or Bowers at least he's an offensive weapon) with their first two picks.

The fact that they have benched / deactivated / deprioritised both Cobb and Lazard this year gives me hope that they've seen how badly they handled WR. And maybe the appeal of catching passes from THE Aaron Rodgers will help as a recruiting tool for any potential free agents. Trading for Adams is an option too but that would involve giving up draft capital too - fine if it's nothing major, but it cannot cost us our 1st.

OT is that bit trickier - I don't know if there are any options out there that will be notably better than Becton (why are they out there if they are? ;-) ) which is why I think we'll look to keep him. But if contract talks get messy ... that will be a big concern. We need clarity / certainty on that before FA opens, not three weeks in after the few good options are already gone.

• Upvote 2

35 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Belichick is going to be out in New England and the Pats are entering a full rebuild. McDermott might be out in Buffalo after the Ty Dunne anti-McDermott stories all come out, but either way they’re going to have to dump Stefon Diggs and retool all over their defense. Miami is also in some cap trouble and has to make a decision on Tua’s future this offseason. The division isn’t going to be as tough as it’s been. If the Jets can address their tackle spots, bring in Davante, and secure a legitimate backup QB after sending Zach Wilson to Quebec, there’s no reason they shouldn’t be competing for first place next year. 

image.jpeg.76b7fa9b57d94dcbda35ebff4b23c229.jpeg

Je ne suis ps de cet avis

• Haha 2

11 minutes ago, jamesr said:

The fact that they have benched / deactivated / deprioritised both Cobb and Lazard this year gives me hope that they've seen how badly they handled WR. And maybe the appeal of catching passes from THE Aaron Rodgers will help as a recruiting tool for any potential free agents. Trading for Adams is an option too but that would involve giving up draft capital too - fine if it's nothing major, but it cannot cost us our 1st.

OT is that bit trickier - I don't know if there are any options out there that will be notably better than Becton (why are they out there if they are? ;-) ) which is why I think we'll look to keep him. But if contract talks get messy ... that will be a big concern. We need clarity / certainty on that before FA opens, not three weeks in after the few good options are already gone.

I feel like we I'll trade for Devante Adams and I think that it's a mistake given his age. I know he's in a really bad offense and team and that is part of his numbers dropping, but his age is rising and if you lose one step at a speed position it's over. I certainly prefer to sign Tee Higgins, etc. but I really like that Michael Pittman Jr from Indy and he's young. There are some good WR free agent options and I think trading for Devante will be a mistake.

As far as OL, I think we franchise Becton or have him on a short deal and draft his replacement. RT we should go after Jonah Williams.

• Upvote 2

Weird plug for sports betting in NC. 

The basics of the needs are pretty evident, OL and WR.

Whether they attack those areas in FA or the draft is the trickier part.

Given we are the Jets, I'm almost positive well now win out the season and end up in a draft position where a frucking safety will be the best player on the board. (Hyperbole here, you know, for effect.)

1 hour ago, jamesr said:

This year we (meaning the front office) seemed to assume that Rodgers' buddies would suffice at certain positions - my hope is that this notion is proven to be a disaster and that we can't go into next year with the likes of Lazard and Cobb at WR, or Turner anywhere near our OL.

Rodgers or not, we have to strengthen OL and WR - significantly - to compete next year. Not just a band aid fix, proper investment in either proven commodities in FA or to prospects in the draft. Otherwise the lessons from this year will be lost and we'll be in a similar state next year thinking about what might have been.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

Well, yes and no. First off, you forgot the biggest lesson, which I personally think had little to do with Rodgers and was all JD - and that is NOT signing a veteran backup QB, putting faith in Zach in case Rodgers got hurt. That is going to have to be lesson #1. Sign a decent veteran QB 2.

As far as 'assuming Rodger's buddies would suffice' last year - it seemed more like the Jets simply wanted to bring in players Rodgers was comfortable with. Theoretically, I have no issue with that. The only guy we made a real commitment to was Lazard and unfortunately he proved to be a bum. The other guys were depth pieces who were at best supposed to be role players.

So for example, if we trade for D.Adams, one of Rodgers 'buddies' but more so a guy who he is very comfortable with, knows the offense and has had his most productive seasons with - well, I have no problem with that. If Rodgers gets hurt again, we don't address QB2, 1/2 of our o-line gets hurt next year and D.Adams has a bad season I'm not going to sit here and berate JD/Jet Brass for trading for D.Adams. 

Obviously, (apart from QB2) the needs remain OL and and WR. We will probably lose Becton, Brown will retire, Mitchell/Warren have not proven they can start and McGovern is a FA. As far as WR - C.Davis left the team, Lazard was very underwhelming, and nobody else stepped up to show they can be a productive role player.

I would be SHOCKED if the #1 investment in FA and our 1st round pick were not both on the offensive side of the ball. If we do that and keep this defense intact. We SHOULD be able to field a competitive team next year, barring injury. A first Rd. OT/WR and a top tier FA OT/WR along with a solid veteran QB2 is really all this team needs, despite all the doom and gloom.    

• Upvote 1

A couple of players on O makes this team very solid.  OL and a WR, possibly a difference maker at TE.  I have zero confidence that Rodgers will be healthy or good after 2 straight years of injury and another year contimplating retirenment.  

If Zach has a nice run to end the season we can cut all of Rodgers super friends and fix the O around Zach.  If were trading Zach we better get a very good backup.  Depending on Rodgers would be insane.  He's going to be close to a year and a half away from NFL game speed and contact.  He will likely be a minor participant in Pre-season and TC.  I could see him take a shot or two early and say goodbye. 

31 minutes ago, Biggs said:

A couple of players on O makes this team very solid.  OL and a WR, possibly a difference maker at TE.  I have zero confidence that Rodgers will be healthy or good after 2 straight years of injury and another year contimplating retirenment.  

If Zach has a nice run to end the season we can cut all of Rodgers super friends and fix the O around Zach.  If were trading Zach we better get a very good backup.  Depending on Rodgers would be insane.  He's going to be close to a year and a half away from NFL game speed and contact.  He will likely be a minor participant in Pre-season and TC.  I could see him take a shot or two early and say goodbye. 

A couple of players on O makes this team very solid.  OL and a WR, possibly a difference maker at TE. I completely agree. This team. Again, not this offense but this team is not as far off from being competitive as people make it out to be. 

I have zero confidence that Rodgers will be healthy or good after 2 straight years of injury and another year contemplating retirement. Disagree. He will def. be healthy. The question is. Will he remain healthy and for how long. I don't expect another freak non-contact injury. But JD has to protect him. Just to clarify. As far as retirement. I don't think he is planning on retiring any time soon. As far as his skills due to missing a full season, sure, I think he won't be the same QB and he may be rusty the first couple of games, but we don't need MVP AR8. At this point we just need good veteran QB play out of him. It will do wonders for this team.    

If Zach has a nice run to end the season we can cut all of Rodgers super friends and fix the O around Zach. No, no, no, no, no. Zach is done. We are trading Zach and if there are no takers he is relegated to 3rd string. I don't care if he explodes these last 4 games. I know that sounds irrational. But I've seen all I need to see.  

If were trading Zach we better get a very good backup.  Depending on Rodgers would be insane.  He's going to be close to a year and a half away from NFL game speed and contact.  He will likely be a minor participant in Pre-season and TC.  I could see him take a shot or two early and say goodbye. Obviously. JD has two top priorities in FA - go after the best available OT and get a reliable vet QB2. Everything else is secondary. And while those are 'priorities', the goal is to build a wall around Rodgers, add a legit weapon on offense and protect the team from collapsing in case Rodgers goes down by adding a quality vet backup. 

53 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Anyone who was hopeful this past August should be hopeful for next year.  With Rodgers healthy, we will finally get the team we were supposed to have this year.

Can't trust this GM with the offensive side of the ball.  We need to let Becton walk, trade Zach if we can find a rube and draft WR, OT and QB.

9 hours ago, usanyj said:

I'm a Mets fan and a Jets fan...I have learned to never be hopeful. These teams have broken me...They have treated me like a battered wife who thinks they will change after they apologize, but they never do...

Anyway....can't wait for Sunday and for Pitchers and Catchers to report....

I’m also a Mets and Jets fan.  Yes there’s been brutal losses/luck BUT there have also been good times.  I was young when the Mets won the World Series but they’ve been back there a couple times and have some nice nice playoff moments despite not winning again.  Jets have been a tougher pill to swallow but at least have some good moments like that one year with Parcells, Pennington helping the team after the whole”you play yo win the game” speech, and Rex’s first two years.  We just have t been able to find that QB.  We’ve had glimpses but not that guy who can consistently do it for a decade or something