O-Line - Depth For the Interior

THE BARON

Considering AVT and Tippman are starters... Jets need three new starters on the offensive line in the off season.  Two outside and one inside.  Some good news there as far as depth on the inside of the line goes.  I think they may already have it.  Watching the Washington game gave me the idea that Jake Hanson can become a good number two guard.  I also consider Schweitzer as a scrappy number two guard.  Possibly even a number one if he improves his technique. If they can come away from the draft and FA with two starting offensive tackles and one starting guard, they should be good to go with the line in 2024.  I can't imagine that they won't use their number one pick in this coming draft on anything other than the best OT available.  Hopefully, Joe Alt.  They should also open up the wallet for the best FA OT available;  Jonah Williams.  That would fix the line... Oh, yeah.  Forget about Becton.  Let him walk.  They'll be sorry if they don't.  

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, THE BARON said:

Considering AVT and Tippman are starters... Jets need three new starters on the offensive line in the off season.  Two outside and one inside.  Some good news there as far as depth on the inside of the line goes.  I think they may already have it.  Watching the Washington game gave me the idea that Jake Hanson can become a good number two guard.  I also consider Schweitzer as a scrappy number two guard.  Possibly even a number one if he improves his technique. If they can come away from the draft and FA with two starting offensive tackles and one starting guard, they should be good to go with the line in 2024.  I can't imagine that they won't use their number one pick in this coming draft on anything other than the best OT available.  Hopefully, Joe Alt.  They should also open up the wallet for the best FA OT available;  Jonah Williams.  That would fix the line... Oh, yeah.  Forget about Becton.  Let him walk.  They'll be sorry if they don't.  

Pretty much this. 

I can't imagine Douglass going after anyone other than the top OT on the board. At 9 (currently we pick 9th) I doubt the Jets will get a a shot to  draft Alt or Fashanu. So it will be between JC Latham and Fuaga - both plug and play RT prospects. So if I was him, I would go after the top FA OT who can play LT. Not sure Johan is that guy. Maybe Tyron Smith? 

As far as Tomlinson. Boy he is bad. Financially, might make sense to bring him back, but JD may also just want to rip the band aid off and cut him, eating the dead $$$? While I recognize that the Jets would then need to shop for a G in FA, every mock draft I run also has them taking a Guard in one of the middle rounds to continue building up the o-line.  

Becton is a goner. 

I agree about depth. I thinkk we may actually find that with the combination of a back-end draft pick, FA and some of the guys we already have on the roster - Schweitzer, Hanson, Warren, Mitchell- our depth is not terrible. not great but not terrible.  

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, THE BARON said:

Not too bad.  I think except for needing a true left tackle they might just have the players they need for the starting line in tipp, Warren, avt, glaser, or some others.  I don’t think they’ll want a rookie at lt so maybe they trade back a few spots and get some solid back up or even a wr.

• Upvote 1

AVT might get injured on the way to OTA or next TC. Can not count on his staying healthy for more than a game or 2 or 3 next season. We are so screwed. All of JD's picks are busts with the exception of a handful (Tippman, BH, GW, JJ etc). You bringing back the 77 turnstile? I wouldn't, at least I wouldn't for the $$ he will ask for, but I am sure some dope will pay him.

Just now, K_O_Brien said:

Use free agency for interior help. Decent options there, in Kevin Dotson, Robert Hunt, Kevin Zeitler, Robert Hunt, Jon Runyan and Tyler Biadasz.

The biggest issue heading into the draft will remain the tackle position.

This is why I basically said in my other thread that the three overpaid players who could be cut to save cap (Tomlinson, Uzomah and even Mosley) need to be moved, so the money basically be spent on OL.  

AVT was drafted the year Thuney signed a big LG contract with KC.  AVT is supposed to be a LG.  That is where he should play.  I think the Jets have to take a chance that he can play next year. 

The first round pick has to be OT, which is not how you want to draft.  2025 first round draft pick gets traded for something, maybe a WR.  

Let Becton hit the market, and if he does not like what he gets, we can give him a 1 year prove it deal.

Warren and Mitchell go into off season training.  

Bakhtiari does get signed-hopefully for AR8 he can play 1/2 the games. 

2 hours ago, PepPep said:

Pretty much this. 

I can't imagine Douglass going after anyone other than the top OT on the board. At 9 (currently we pick 9th) I doubt the Jets will get a a shot to  draft Alt or Fashanu. So it will be between JC Latham and Fuaga - both plug and play RT prospects. So if I was him, I would go after the top FA OT who can play LT. Not sure Johan is that guy. Maybe Tyron Smith? 

As far as Tomlinson. Boy he is bad. Financially, might make sense to bring him back, but JD may also just want to rip the band aid off and cut him, eating the dead $$$? While I recognize that the Jets would then need to shop for a G in FA, every mock draft I run also has them taking a Guard in one of the middle rounds to continue building up the o-line.  

Becton is a goner. 

I agree about depth. I thinkk we may actually find that with the combination of a back-end draft pick, FA and some of the guys we already have on the roster - Schweitzer, Hanson, Warren, Mitchell- our depth is not terrible. not great but not terrible.  

Well then take comfort in knowing that financially it doesn't make to bring back Tomlinson. Paying him another $13MM is the opposite of things that make sense. 

What I fear a bit more than that is him agreeing to retain him after a big pay cut or something, so there's one less starter to find and no balloon cap hit. In reality Douglas shouldn't want him no matter how cheap, but it's a concern I have that he'll do something like this.

• Upvote 1

34 minutes ago, ASH1962 said:

All of JD's picks are busts with the exception of a handful (Tippman, BH, GW, JJ etc).

Let's not pretend that his 2022 draft isn't one of the best drafts in recent history. Max Mitchell is the only questionable pick, and he might end up being quality depth. 

It's too soon to evaluate the 2023 draft, but I don't see any potential busts. Will McDonald was the wrong pick at the time for a win now team, but so was Quinnen Williams at the time of his selection. Nobody will care that McDonald wasn't the "correct pick" when he has a Jermaine Johnson type season in 2024.

If Double Down Douglas fails to get a blue chip Tackle in round one, kiss next season goodby. All that is left by the next time the Jets pick in the 3rd round are potential starters, but more or less are going to be back-ups on whatever team drafts them. If the Jets win again this year, and drop ever further down, they would be better off trading down and try to recoup that 2nd round pick. They can get two linemen in the first two round and maybe one of them can start. That's the miracle you need to occur for this O-line to be better next year than it is now, which, by the way, doesn't necessarily mean its going to be any good. 

• Upvote 2

49 minutes ago, varjet said:

This is why I basically said in my other thread that the three overpaid players who could be cut to save cap (Tomlinson, Uzomah and even Mosley) need to be moved, so the money basically be spent on OL.  

AVT was drafted the year Thuney signed a big LG contract with KC.  AVT is supposed to be a LG.  That is where he should play.  I think the Jets have to take a chance that he can play next year. 

The first round pick has to be OT, which is not how you want to draft.  2025 first round draft pick gets traded for something, maybe a WR.  

Let Becton hit the market, and if he does not like what he gets, we can give him a 1 year prove it deal.

Warren and Mitchell go into off season training.  

Bakhtiari does get signed-hopefully for AR8 he can play 1/2 the games. 

Agree on cutting Tomlinson, has become a huge liability. Ideally you'd start and keep AVT at guard, but I'm not sure we will have that flexibility? 

Graham Barton is interesting in the draft. He's projected to play inside, but has mostly started at left tackle in college. He can also play center, or even on the right side. Almost another Vera Tucker in terms of versatility, but again like AVT, arm length is the concern for playing tackle. He's not someone who you would take at 9, but think we would be looking to trade down in any event. 

I don't really want Bakhtiari but am struggling to provide alternatives.

• Upvote 2

I think it's funny AVT gets a pass for missing almost two seasons in a row, but Becton gets trashed for it. I'm not defending Becton. 

Almost everyone agrees that Becton cannot be counted on, but they pencil in AVT for next year. 

This O-line is not going to any better, next year. This is three years in the making, and it's going to take at least 2 years to fix it, or at least get it to the point that it's not a joke.

18 hours ago, Ron Rico said:

I think it's funny AVT gets a pass for missing almost two seasons in a row, but Becton gets trashed for it. I'm not defending Becton. 

Almost everyone agrees that Becton cannot be counted on, but they pencil in AVT for next year. 

This O-line is not going to any better, next year. This is three years in the making, and it's going to take at least 2 years to fix it, or at least get it to the point that it's not a joke.

You hire the right offensive line coach , and he can turn it around in a hurry.   You don’t always need to draft offense lineman in the first round.   The better offense line coaches can find gems in the late rounds.  Not to mention take guys that underperformed for their old team , but there play improves a lot under his tutelage.

• Upvote 1

I agree. Pretty much how I see it as well.

Let Walk: Becton

Cut: Laken

Starters: AVT and Tipmann

Backups: Warren, Hansen, Wes

TBD Backup that we try and upgrade in the mid rounds: Mitchell and McGovern

Would like to see an offseason like:

Free Agency: Yosh Nijman RT, Ezra Cleveland LG

Draft: one of the top 2 LTs. If not available. Trade back and draft best available LT with the 1st round pick.

5 hours ago, Raideraholic said:

You hire the right offensive line coach , and he can turn it around in a hurry.   You don’t always need to draft offense lineman in the first round.   The better offense line coaches can find gems in the late rounds.  Not to mention take guys that underperformed for their old team , but there play improves a lot under his tutelage.

This is true with teams that know what they are doing, but this is the Jets.