Jets doing the "right thing" releasing Cook and Saffold early, right? Well do the right thing and release Zach Wilson too

2 hours ago, freestater said:

its the right thing to do for the fans. I could care less if its right for Zach but common, we should have the concrete assurance that we'll never have to watch that terrible qb ever suit up for the Jets again. Get rid of him. I dont give a crap about some conditional 6th rounder. JD will just waste it anyway. 

Flame away. 

lol, but the right thing for the team is to at least try to get something for him. if we could even get a 6th round pick that would be better than nothing

57 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

I would be very shocked if they get a 3rd (never mind more) for him.

I do agree they could probably get someone to fork over something, though. No matter how small, even getting just a 2025 7th rounder in return is more successful, as a salary dump alone, than cutting him today. 

Cook and Saffold, in contrast, were due to become FAs after the season anyway. Saffold, who cares as he turns 36 in June; but Cook would've signed for more than the vet minimum and therefore would've qualified for a comp pick (or at least offset someone else added). I get that it's nice, but it's also stupid.

Regardless, neither are like Zach in that respect, in that he's got one more - fully guaranteed - year left on his contract. 

Why they would just let Cook walk is crazy 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Pac said:

You are gonna be shocked when they get a 3rd rounder or more for Zip. 

That’s the $64000 question. Is there a team out there that “sees something “ in Zach not yet uncovered. 
A #3 would be wonderful…but it’ll probably be a #4. Let’s hope there’s a bidding war, lol.

2 hours ago, Pac said:

You are gonna be shocked when they get a 3rd rounder or more for Zip. 

Yeah he sucks, yeah he's gotta go, but he has also improved but never had much of a chance this year given the state of the O line. 

Don't get it twisted I want him gone but I'm sure there's going to be a few GMs who believe they have the structure and coaching to help him reach his potential.  I wouldn't be surprised if he's starting somewhere in a couple years. 

Totally agree. All the GM’s that year had him as QB2. Somebody always thinks they can”fix him.” 

5 minutes ago, section314 said:

Totally agree. All the GM’s that year had him as QB2. Somebody always thinks they can”fix him.” 

Did they now.

And even if many/most did (unlikely) - why does that matter?  They have 3 years of tape of him under 2 different OCs.  The former of which, at least, was respected enough to get a job right away under McVay.

I hope everyone saying he has value to someone is right, and it does only take 1 of 31 GMs to make it happen….but the reality is he’s a QB3 in this league at best and I’m not getting my hopes up.  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Sperm Edwards said:

his lone remaining year at $5MM for a 1 year tryout isn't much.

I don't know what Denver plans to do now that they've pretty much burned any bridge down between them and Russell Wilson, who threw for 3070 yards and 26 TD's, or what they owe him, but 5 million to take a chance on Sad Sack would make sense for them if they could get him for a 7th rounder. The worst that can happen is they find out what we already know.

I can't see any other team wanting him. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, freestater said:

its the right thing to do for the fans. I could care less if its right for Zach but common, we should have the concrete assurance that we'll never have to watch that terrible qb ever suit up for the Jets again. Get rid of him. I dont give a crap about some conditional 6th rounder. JD will just waste it anyway. 

Flame away. 

This x10000000000

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, slimjasi said:

Nah, try to trade him, and if you can’t (you will be able to, IMO), THEN release him. 

JD isn’t a fan - he can’t get emotional about this stuff. It’s business.

You have an asset - it’s your job to try and get something for it before throwing it in the trash. 

Link?

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Did they now.

And even if many/most did (unlikely) - why does that matter?  They have 3 years of tape of him under 2 different OCs.  The former of which, at least, was respected enough to get a job right away under McVay.

according to Casserly,

most did:

The same was true for Darnold being the consensus QB1 in 2018.

Still, it doesn’t necessarily mean anything, as you say. There is a lot of bad Wilson tape to overcome. I still think someone bites. 

• Upvote 3

52 minutes ago, neckdemon said:

so it's our fault he has sucked ass for 3 years?

and the beat goes on.  There's always someone waiting to blame it all on the fanbase.

It is not the fans' fault that Woody is balls deep invested in Wilson.  Doesn't understand that Wilson is not even capable of being an adequate career back up, let alone starter. And if it's not on Woody, but rather JD here....  then why doesn't Woody fire JD?  Of course it's Woody.

• Upvote 1

They are going to give him a chance to "compete" for the back up role.

He will lose, but win the spot.

Which means he'll be starting again at some point after the first 4 snaps.

J!

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1
  • Ugh 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Dcat said:

and the beat goes on.  There's always someone waiting to blame it all on the fanbase.

It is not the fans' fault that Woody is balls deep invested in Wilson.  Doesn't understand that Wilson is not even capable of being an adequate career back up, let alone starter. And if it's not on Woody, but rather JD here....  then why doesn't Woody fire JD?  Of course it's Woody.

Anyone blaming other fans is a "fan" and that is a person with a pathological personality. Fans have nothing to do with any decisions made by these NFL teams. It takes a higher level of dementia to draw that conclusion and then imagine yourself on the side of the "good" "right" and "virtuous". 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, TBJ said:

They are going to give him a chance to "compete" for the back up role.

He will lose, but win the spot.

Which means he'll be starting again at some point after the first 4 snaps.

J!

That's how I see it playing out, too. Dogass won't use a single draft pick on a QB. Michael Pratt could be sitting there at 6 and JD will draft a DT. 

• Thumb Down 1

4 hours ago, freestater said:

Flame away. 

Do It Episode 3 GIF by Star Wars

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, BigRy56 said:

Cook restructured to wipe his contract so he could get cut penalty free. If Zach would kindly follow that same path, he'd be gone before 5pm today

Different contracts I'm guessing. Zach has already received the bonus payments so the cap hit has to be taken, you can't wipe those away with a changed contract.

57 minutes ago, jamesr said:

Different contracts I'm guessing. Zach has already received the bonus payments so the cap hit has to be taken, you can't wipe those away with a changed contract.

Sunk. Cost. 

Cut him and move on.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, freestater said:

Flame away. 

He is best QB on the team with a decent coordinator he can win games. I'm back in team Wilson. He is awesome let's go keep him as a back up!

Just now, BornJetsFan1983 said:

He is best QB on the team with a decent coordinator he can win games. I'm back in team Wilson. He is awesome let's go keep him as a back up!

Wait no. Fire him. Also get rid the other back ups we have trade for brisset or someone behind Rodgers.

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, slimjasi said:

according to Casserly,

most did:

The same was true for Darnold being the consensus QB1 in 2018.

Still, it doesn’t necessarily mean anything, as you say. There is a lot of bad Wilson tape to overcome. I still think someone bites. 

Toupee face can go take a hike,

Casserly is horrid.

• Haha 2

12 hours ago, freestater said:

Flame away. 

Nah, park him where he belongs, at number 3 for last game and next yr.