Rapoport: Jets Expected to Trade Zach Wilson This Offseason

7 minutes ago, CTJetsFan said:

Boomer has mentioned (on more than 1 occasion and again this morning) Minnesota as a landing spot for Wilson. Seems to say it as if he knows something. Just telling y'all what I heard him say.

Hilarious turn of events for all the people last season who thought MIN could unload their starter to the Jets to upgrade from Wilson

1 hour ago, Matt39 said:

Carter was a really nice pick. No ones disputing that. Douglas just has some colossal misses in round 3 on, which leads me to question what exactly they’re doing. How do you draft Zuniga over his teammate who played the same exact position? 

lol I mean I wouldn't characterize any miss in the 3rd or later as "colossal" but fair enough.  Again, there are always going to be misses at all points in the draft, and they only become more frequent the later it goes on.  It's the nature of the draft.  Some picks are more unforgivable than others, like Zuniga, but then again even the "safe" ones can turn out to be picks a GM will get fileted over(Mims).  

I feel like when I get into these debates that I probably come off as a Douglas apologist, but that's honestly not my intention.  His UFA record has been pretty awful, and he's proven unable or unwilling to make mid-season adjustments to help save very salvageable seasons(7-4 last year, 4-3 this year).  His draft record though is probably his one bright spot, even factoring in Zach and Becton.  Maybe that's because I'm used to Maccagnan and Idzik and my bar is extremely low, but I know what awful drafting looks like.  These last 4 years really haven't been it.  

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 2

1 hour ago, CTJetsFan said:

Boomer has mentioned (on more than 1 occasion and again this morning) Minnesota as a landing spot for Wilson. Seems to say it as if he knows something. Just telling y'all what I heard him say.

Maybe, but Boomer says a lot of things that have no bearing in reality. 

I remember him strongly implying that Cowher was considering the jets job when he had no interest in even coaching again. 

Boomer is often full of hot air 

• Upvote 2

23 hours ago, varjet said:

We can go through every JD draft and find the players picked after his picks who are so much better, whether at the same or different positions.  

His drafting is just terrible overall.  They are doing ZERO scouting.  

Iron Man Eye Roll GIF

• Upvote 2

I don't see Minnesota bring a landing place for ZW. Cousins contract with Minnesota is basically over. Unless the re-sign him they are in the market for a new starter. They drafted Jaren Hall last year who was Zach's backup at BYU. And was their starter after he left. I think he got a start with the Vikings didn't play well and was injured for a few games. Unless they think of Zach as one of the better backups available and someone who can start I can't see this as a good fit for them. I don't know their evaluation of Hall after one incomplete season. You'd think they'll hold onto him. I saw him in college he was pretty good. 

3 hours ago, T0mShane said:

December: “There will be a big market for Zach. All the best coaches think he’s a great talent. Look out for the Rams and Niners to come a-runnin’”

January: “Actually, Minnesote—who has no viable QB under contract—would really be a good…”

February: “You know, he might get a shot at some playing time on that Jeff Ulbrich Panthers team”

March: “A reunion with the Jets might be his best option, really. Maybe redo that contract, get the cap number down, sit behind Aaron Rodgers and Jacoby Brissett for a year?”

May: “Honestly, taking some time off to clear his head might be the best thing for Zach Wilson. Let teams get into camp, stay ready in case there are any injuries to teams, and who knows, look at Joe Flacco this past year.”

What they’re saying in May here is what Woody is saying now

• Sympathy 1
  • Ugh 1

I think it's the Broncos.

- they are $24m over the cap. They will be trading, or more likely, cutting Russ to the tune of an $80m dead cap hit. Even if they designate it a June 1st move that's still starting them at -$64m.

- Zach provides a dirt cheap alternative with a sky high ceiling. The best part is he either looks good with a bare bones team and they have their guy or he poops the bed and earns them #1 overall in 2025.

- The Broncos will need to shed contracts, Courtland Sutton is a $9m savings. It offers Zach + the Jets eat the contract in exchange for Sutton.

28 years old, 6'4" tall, just snagged a career high 10 TDs, played for Hackett & his WR coach for his entire career, Zach Azzanni, is our WR coach.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, bla bla bla said:

- they are $24m over the cap. They will be trading, or more likely, cutting Russ to the tune of an $80m dead cap hit. Even if they designate it a June 1st move that's still starting them at -$64m.

- Zach provides a dirt cheap alternative with a sky high ceiling. The best part is he either looks good with a bare bones team and they have their guy or he poops the bead and earns them #1 overall in 2025.

- The Broncos will need to shed contracts, Courtland Sutton is a $9m savings. It offers Zach + the Jets eat the contract in exchange for Sutton.

28 years old, 6'4" tall, just snagged a career high 10 TDs, played for Hackett & his WR coach for his entire career, Zach Azzanni, is our WR coach.

I really like this idea.   Just roll with Siemian/Rypien at QB2/3 and save money.   Get another WR for $9mm.   Broncos take $1mm vet minimum cap off our hands. 

Then we deal with Mosley, Tomlinson, CZU and JFM to find cap room.  

5 hours ago, T0mShane said:

December: “There will be a big market for Zach. All the best coaches think he’s a great talent. Look out for the Rams and Niners to come a-runnin’”

January: “Actually, Minnesote—who has no viable QB under contract—would really be a good…”

February: “You know, he might get a shot at some playing time on that Jeff Ulbrich Panthers team”

March: “A reunion with the Jets might be his best option, really. Maybe redo that contract, get the cap number down, sit behind Aaron Rodgers and Jacoby Brissett for a year?”

May: “Honestly, taking some time off to clear his head might be the best thing for Zach Wilson. Let teams get into camp, stay ready in case there are any injuries to teams, and who knows, look at Joe Flacco this past year.”

fuck my life fml GIF

• Haha 4

This has to come from Wilson's end if it happens. This post might be controversial, but I'll share my thinking here.

I feel differently than I did with Darnold at the same point. Wilson has continued to improve and I think Darnold was worse at this point in their careers. Wilson showed some impressive things for the first time with a terrible o-line. Especially with him and Rodgers having rapport, and us (hopefully) not having to worry about him starting, why not keep him as the #2?

Like, of all the times we could cut bait with him, it makes the least sense right now. We kept him around to learn from Rodgers, and he clearly took a step up when he wasn't even supposed to be playing. If this is our idea, it's a bit dumb when you look at the big picture,

I've been far from a Wilson supporter, but something is telling me we'd be making a mistake not keeping him around as a backup. He's been mostly terrible, but his arrow is undoubtedly pointing up and he still possesses a plethora of raw talent. I'd say let him sit and learn, especially with our draft position.

• Post of the Week 1
  • More Ugh 1

This has to come from Wilson's end if it happens. This post might be controversial, but I'll share my thinking here.
I feel differently than I did with Darnold at the same point. Wilson has continued to improve and I think Darnold was worse at this point in their careers. Wilson showed some impressive things for the first time with a terrible o-line. Especially with him and Rodgers having rapport, and us (hopefully) not having to worry about him starting, why not keep him as the #2?
Like, of all the times we could cut bait with him, it makes the least sense right now. We kept him around to learn from Rodgers, and he clearly took a step up when he wasn't even supposed to be playing. If this is our idea, it's a bit dumb when you look at the big picture,
I've been far from a Wilson supporter, but something is telling me we'd be making a mistake not keeping him around as a backup. He's been mostly terrible, but his arrow is undoubtedly pointing up and he still possesses a plethora of raw talent. I'd say let him sit and learn, especially with our draft position.
His arrow is pointing up because when you're at the bottom it can point down. And Darnold was definitely better Wilson after 3 years.
  • Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

10 hours ago, T0mShane said:

@football guy this a stark premonition of your future posts.  

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, bla bla bla said:

- Zach provides a dirt cheap alternative with a sky high ceiling. The best part is he either looks good with a bare bones team and they have their guy or he poops the bed and earns them #1 overall in 2025.

Payton isnt making Zach his starter, and he isnt giving us a WR for a backup QB. 

there probably drafting a QB and getting a Brissett or Minchew to hold the fort while he develops. someone they can win games now with. maybe even Cousins if Minn lets him go.

2 hours ago, doitny said:

Payton isnt making Zach his starter, and he isnt giving us a WR for a backup QB. 

there probably drafting a QB and getting a Brissett or Minchew to hold the fort while he develops. someone they can win games now with. maybe even Cousins if Minn lets him go.

I could 100% see them draft a QB, i could also see them start Zach if the rookie isnt ready. Zach doesnt have to be their long term plan. Broncos are gonna be $65m over the cap, I'm not sure how they'd fit Cousins in there. IMO they are about to nuke that roster over these next 2 seasons while they shed the $80m dead hit from Russ.

18 hours ago, T0mShane said:

September: Zach is our best option at QB now that Aaron is injured again.

7 hours ago, bla bla bla said:

I could 100% see them draft a QB, i could also see them start Zach if the rookie isnt ready. Zach doesnt have to be their long term plan. Broncos are gonna be $65m over the cap, I'm not sure how they'd fit Cousins in there. IMO they are about to nuke that roster over these next 2 seasons while they shed the $80m dead hit from Russ.

yeah they could start Zach, but you said they would trade us a WR for him, no way. even if its to shed money. 

Payton would be crazy to start Zach after what he seen these past 3 years from him. the best thing for Zach is to let him sit at QB 3 and never see the field this year. Zach sat for all of TC watching a HOF QB and it didnt help much, he needs a whole year or maybe 2 to sit and learn. 

now Zach is a FA after the year is up so it makes no sense to trade for him to be a backup. he should start to see if you offer him a new deal. but how can you sell that to your owner or fan base.?

if it was a different HC i would agree with you, but Payton even though they got to shed that dead cap hit ( well maybe, if they can trade him its much better right ?) is going to want to be competitive. we watched every game he has played, Zach is a bad choice if thats your plan. much better options out there.

honestly this might sound crazy but i think Carolina is the best spot. no 1st rd pick, a struggling rookie QB. if he struggles again they might play Zach to see what he has.

4 hours ago, doitny said:

yeah they could start Zach, but you said they would trade us a WR for him, no way. even if its to shed money. 

Payton would be crazy to start Zach after what he seen these past 3 years from him. the best thing for Zach is to let him sit at QB 3 and never see the field this year. Zach sat for all of TC watching a HOF QB and it didnt help much, he needs a whole year or maybe 2 to sit and learn. 

now Zach is a FA after the year is up so it makes no sense to trade for him to be a backup. he should start to see if you offer him a new deal. but how can you sell that to your owner or fan base.?

if it was a different HC i would agree with you, but Payton even though they got to shed that dead cap hit ( well maybe, if they can trade him its much better right ?) is going to want to be competitive. we watched every game he has played, Zach is a bad choice if thats your plan. much better options out there.

honestly this might sound crazy but i think Carolina is the best spot. no 1st rd pick, a struggling rookie QB. if he struggles again they might play Zach to see what he has.

Interesting, I would have thought Sean Payton would have an ego after reclaiming Brees from the scrap heap. I think you would sell it to the base as a QB competition, not that he's the outright starter.

I think based on Sean's comments about Hackett and how he ran things in Denver, he may have more confidence an Jets fans have in Zach.

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, Grandy said:

My suspicion is Team Wilson wants out far more than Woody/JD/Saleh...

Maybe, but Boomer says a lot of things that have no bearing in reality. 

I remember him strongly implying that Cowher was considering the jets job when he had no interest in even coaching again. 

Boomer is often full of hot air 

Most who earn a living talking about sports are hot air balloons

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

I still think there will be a market for a trade.  Coaches are arrogant, especially young ones who will see the same thing JD did and think they can "fix" him.  If they are right they are next in line, if not no one will remember.  Their argument to their owner or GM is the Jets perhaps mismanaged his development as poorly as could be done.

He will get every opportunity to fail from a few organizations.  Rams or Vikings would be my random poster prediction.

No one is trading for Zach, outside of some contract agreement in which Zach basically agrees to be paid peanuts - which he won't, so in the slim chance he has an opportunity to rebuild his stock, he can choose where to go. His agent's advice will be to concede nothing.

More likely he's cut cause 31 other teams know he's not coming back - plus he sucks. Bad combo. 

3 hours ago, bla bla bla said:

Interesting, I would have thought Sean Payton would have an ego after reclaiming Brees from the scrap heap. I think you would sell it to the base as a QB competition, not that he's the outright starter.

I think based on Sean's comments about Hackett and how he ran things in Denver, he may have more confidence an Jets fans have in Zach.

Brees was not on the scrap heap.  He was offered $10M per by more than one team.  The Dolphins stupidly pulled out because he was coming off a shoulder injury and traded for Culpepper.  More than one poster here had suggested making the move for Brees instead of having a competition between the perennial comeback player of the year candidate, Kellen Clemens and Patrick Ramsey.

Not sure that Payton's comments about Hackett meant what you think they meant.  I think he was complaining about Hackett running a loose ship and letting Wilson and his entourage run roughshod.  Not necessarily that he didn't know how to coach or handle a QB.  He seems pretty quick to move on from Russell which would seem to indicate he isn't gambling his career on egotistically thinking he can get something where Hackett got nothing.

• Upvote 1

You are are probably right. I just think someone will want him and if it's a team with a proven offensive staff and geographically more towards home that he will be open to flexibility.

Douglas used to be a tough negotiator and win trades but after the atrocious Rodgers deal he has moved into the soft touch category.  Once a gm enters this realm he can;t get out and he loses most trades.

I see the trade being some kind of thing like we get a 4th but give up a 5th.