Update from the team Wilson Utah newspaper- Zach’s desired landing spots are the Rams, Broncos, and Vikings

Article is pretty much spot on ... I enjoyed this tidbit...

"The Jets have a notorious reputation with quarterbacks. It’s been 25 years since they had a Pro Bowl QB, and they’ve had only two of them since 1975. "

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1
  • Ugh 1
  • More Ugh 2

6 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Matt and I are going to spend the summer debating whether the latest thing Rodgers said was merely baseline conservative dogma or yet another sign of creeping psychosis that could lead to self-harm. Other than that, we’ll be rabidly rooting for newest Chargers fourth stringer Zach Wilson to get a shot to play in preseason over Easton Stick and rookie Sam Hartman. 

What, pray tell, did they conserve??? LOL 

2008 let's let gays get married

May be an image of 1 person and text that says '"THOSE WHO CAN MAKE YOU BELIEVE ABSURDITIES... ...CAN MAKE YOU COMMIT ATROCITIES." Unknown'

• WTF? 3

1 minute ago, Bleedin Green said:

The crazy part is Saleh is the closest anyone has come to keeping him accountable (which isn't saying much).  Sure he blows smoke up Zach's ass every time, but he's benched him on numerous occasions and every time the evidence has suggested he's had to fight to make that happen, while there seems to have been made a concerted effort to make it more difficult for him every time (e.g., having no one else at QB but Boyle on the active roster for weeks).  Don't get me wrong, that's not to say Saleh is any good at what he does, but it just goes way beyond him.

Agreed. Saleh has been a good soldier about it, but he should have had one his guys take Connor Hughes out for a beer and leak about the situation because when it’s all said and done, he’s the guy who hangs first

• Upvote 1

On the other hand, there ought to be allowances made for a Jets quarterback, given their history with the position. Wilson was sacked 113 times in 33 games, including 46 this season. Maybe Wilson is holding the ball too long? Well, the other Jets’ quarterbacks were sacked 18 times, one of which knocked Aaron Rodgers out for the season. That’s 64 sacks in one season. Only three teams surrendered more sacks — Giants (85), Commanders (65) and Panthers (65). Those close to Wilson worry that he is damaged goods after such an experience, that his confidence is shot.

This is true.  Our OL was a disaster this year.

The Jets are a bad team, despite being loaded with talent on defense and at running back and receiver

We were loaded at RB and WR?

Hackett fed Dalvin Cook for the 1st half of the season and Breece was barely used as a bellcow with IIRC, the exception of only 2 games (Denver and then the final week of the year).

As far as our WRs, we had 1 NFL caliber WR (albeit a star) in GW.  And even GW dropped a lot of passes this year.

The Jets have a notorious reputation with quarterbacks. It’s been 25 years since they had a Pro Bowl QB, and they’ve had only two of them since 1975. In 2021, Wilson became the 11th quarterback the Jets drafted in 15 years, including six in the first two rounds. Before Wilson’s arrival, the Jets had switched quarterbacks 12 times the previous five seasons, using draft picks, free agents and journeymen.

It’s difficult to believe none of those had what it takes to succeed; the common denominator in all those failures is the Jets. Joe Flacco has won four of five starts with the Browns and carried them to the playoffs. He played for the Jets the previous three seasons and had a won-lost record of 1-8.

Yep.

For Wilson to succeed, he needs to land a deal with a team that has an offensive-minded head coach (Saleh has a defensive coaching background) with an older veteran quarterback, allowing Wilson to spend a season or two on the sideline.

Talk about being kind to Salesman!  With the pathetic job he did this year he still had the nerve to say that the team "took the next step".  

13 minutes ago, Bleedin Green said:

The crazy part is Saleh is the closest anyone has come to keeping him accountable (which isn't saying much).  Sure he blows smoke up Zach's ass every time, but he's benched him on numerous occasions and every time the evidence has suggested he's had to fight to make that happen, while there seems to have been made a concerted effort to make it more difficult for him every time (e.g., having no one else at QB but Boyle on the active roster for weeks).  Don't get me wrong, that's not to say Saleh is any good at what he does, but it just goes way beyond him.

That's an understatement!

Based on Zack's desired landing spots, even he doesnt see himself as a starter.  Secondly, very telling that he doesnt want to go somewhere he could actually think he could compete for a starting job.  That is very telling about his mindset and inner completeness

And hes getting traded wherever we get the best return, not his desired spot 

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

9 minutes ago, Ron Rico said:

I think it's both. The Jets don't know what they are doing, and Zach can't NFL QB. 

maybe, but i dont believe in the QB whisperer. they either have it or dont.

like BB for example had Brady and Jimmy G but then did nothing with Mac and Stidham.

Payton had Brees on his 2nd team but then does nothing with Winston. so much so that he quits the next season. now we will see without Russ next year what he does.

Shannahan got Purdy but cant do anything with Lance.

Tomlin can do anything with Pickett. 

Frank Riech didnt do anything with Young this year, yet DeMarco who i am told you cant get a defensive HC with a rookie QB looks great because of Stroud.

so i dont know how much coaching helps these QBs. there are too many examples as i have pointed out where good even legendary HCs did good with some and nothing with others.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, HawkeyeJet said:

What did he say?  I missed it 

Said the Rams and Broncos would be potential landing spots. The Vikings make sense as O'Connell is from the Rams and has a similar system. Watch this kid take off with another team and I'll throw up.

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Going to be hysterical when Payton trades a two for Mac Jones

In some bizarre but possible world, I see Payton trading for Zach just to try and salvage him and make Hackett/Jets look even worse. Just for the sound bytes alone and ability to personally/indirectly criticize Hackett.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 2

34 minutes ago, Dunnie said:

"The Jets have a notorious reputation with quarterbacks. It’s been 25 years since they had a Pro Bowl QB, and they’ve had only two of them since 1975. "

image.gif.8504cd99031434278b7a9dcb4f369464.gif

• Sympathy 1

35 minutes ago, Dunnie said:

Yes, they’re really bad at identifying worthwhile QBs to draft.  Zach is another in a long line of terrible QB prospects the Jets failed to properly assess pre-draft.

Same page, Dunnie.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Matt39 said:

Article is too good. I can only imagine what dealing with this kid was like.

https://www.deseret.com/2024/1/9/24030184/whats-next-for-new-york-jets-zach-wilson

The second phase of Zach Wilson’s professional career likely began with the end of the 2023 regular season, which saw the New York Jets miss the playoffs for the 13th consecutive year.

If the Jets keep their word, Wilson is done with the Jets, the team that made him the second overall pick of the 2021 NFL draft. As the Deseret News reported a month ago, Jets coach Robert Saleh has told Wilson that the Jets would trade him after the season.

But how marketable is Wilson now?

The case for Zach Wilson: In three seasons he threw for 6,293 yards, 23 touchdowns and 25 interceptions. In what was presumably his final season with the Jets, he had career highs in completion percentage (60.1), average passing yards per game (189), passer rating (77.2) and, for the first time, more touchdown passes (eight) than interceptions (seven). But his yards per attempt, a key stat, was nearly the worst of his pro career (6.2).

At times, Wilson looked like he was in his 2020 form at BYU. In a three-point loss to the defending Super Bowl champion Chiefs, he completed 28 of 39 passes for 245 yards, two touchdowns, 0 interceptions. In a win over the playoff-bound Texans, he threw for 301 yards, two touchdowns and 0 interceptions. But those were the exceptions. His passer rating was 77.2, about 12-13 points below average.

On the other hand, there ought to be allowances made for a Jets quarterback, given their history with the position. Wilson was sacked 113 times in 33 games, including 46 this season. Maybe Wilson is holding the ball too long? Well, the other Jets’ quarterbacks were sacked 18 times, one of which knocked Aaron Rodgers out for the season. That’s 64 sacks in one season. Only three teams surrendered more sacks — Giants (85), Commanders (65) and Panthers (65). Those close to Wilson worry that he is damaged goods after such an experience, that his confidence is shot.

The Jets are a bad team, despite being loaded with talent on defense and at running back and receiver. They finished the season with a 7-10 record. Only three of the 16 teams in the AFC won fewer games. The Jets had the second worst offense in the league, just 56 yards better than the league-worst Carolina Panthers.

Other teams have lost their starting quarterback to injury — as the Jets did in the season opener with Rodgers — but they didn’t sink into oblivion as the Jets did. The Browns’ starting quarterback, Deshaun Watson, played only six games before he suffered a season-ending injury. The Browns went on to make the playoffs with an 11-5 record. The Bengals’ Joe Burrow lasted 10 games, winning five of them, before a season-ending injury. With backup Jake Browning at quarterback, the Bengals won four of seven games and finished with a 9-8 record. The Colts were 2-2 when they lost starting quarterback Anthony Richardson to an injury. Under backup Gardner Minshew, they were 7-6.

A solid, well-coached team should be able to survive without their starting quarterback. But the Jets did not.

The Jets have a notorious reputation with quarterbacks. It’s been 25 years since they had a Pro Bowl QB, and they’ve had only two of them since 1975. In 2021, Wilson became the 11th quarterback the Jets drafted in 15 years, including six in the first two rounds. Before Wilson’s arrival, the Jets had switched quarterbacks 12 times the previous five seasons, using draft picks, free agents and journeymen.

It’s difficult to believe none of those had what it takes to succeed; the common denominator in all those failures is the Jets. Joe Flacco has won four of five starts with the Browns and carried them to the playoffs. He played for the Jets the previous three seasons and had a won-lost record of 1-8.

Anyway, it appears the Jets will draft yet another quarterback and start over once again. Can anyone succeed?

As has been noted previously, Wilson was one of five quarterbacks taken in the first 15 overall picks of the ’21 draft. Only one could be called a success after three seasons — No. 1 overall pick Trevor Lawrence. Justin Fields’ future with the Bears is undecided. Mac Jones is likely out with the Patriots. Trey Lance was traded to the Cowboys and didn’t play this season. All but Lance were thrown into the starting lineup on opening day. One can’t help but contrast those experiences with that of Jordan Love, who stood on the sideline for three years before getting his chance to be the Packers’ starter this season, and now he is a rising star.

The 2020 class, by comparison, produced quarterbacks in Joe Burrow, Tua Tagovailoa, Justin Herbert, Jalen Hurts and Love, who have all become immensely successful in the NFL.But back to Wilson’s future: He is only 24 — barely older than some rookies. He has put together some good moments on film to win a second chance, but his contract could be a problem. He has one year left on his rookie deal worth a guaranteed $5.4 million. How many teams are going to want to take a chance at such a price?

For Wilson to succeed, he needs to land a deal with a team that has an offensive-minded head coach (Saleh has a defensive coaching background) with an older veteran quarterback, allowing Wilson to spend a season or two on the sideline.

The Broncos have both the coach and the quarterback, but it appears they will unload the latter, Russell Wilson. The Rams would be a perfect landing spot, teaming with head coach Sean McVay and quarterback Matt Stafford, who will be 36 next season. The Vikings would be another excellent landing spot for Wilson. Head coach Kevin O’Connell is a former quarterbacks coach and offensive coordinator and quarterback Kirk Cousins will be 36 next season.

A team like any of those above would give Wilson a better chance to succeed than what the Jets offered him.

i have to be honest i skimmed the article...but what in this article has anything to do with "dealing with him"?

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, k-met57 said:

i have to be honest i skimmed the article...but what in this article has anything to do with "dealing with him"?

“This is what Zach needs to be good” reads like Dino Radja telling Rick Pitino that he’d like to be traded to a playoff contender in a warm climate.

• Haha 1

I don't see Payton wanting Zach on his team but he was quoted last year after Zach started his decline saying he thinks he could turn it around. Look if he doesn't like Russell Wilson he's not going to like Zach. 

• Upvote 1

Can you imagine if the Jets defense gets a chance to play Wilson and take out some of their frustrations over losing all these games with him QBing despite playing their asses off? Quinnen might decapitate him.

• Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1
  • Haha 2

40 minutes ago, Adoni Beast said:

Said the Rams and Broncos would be potential landing spots. The Vikings make sense as O'Connell is from the Rams and has a similar system. Watch this kid take off with another team and I'll throw up.

Oh. Well yeah, I think it’s easy to connect the dots teams like the Broncos or Vikings or Rams would be in the discussion.  I said that in the Russell Wilson thread the Broncos would probably have to trade for someone like Fields or Wilson with their R Wilson decision.  It’s just easy conjecture based on their QB situations.

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

Matt and I are going to spend the summer debating whether the latest thing Rodgers said was merely baseline conservative dogma or yet another sign of creeping psychosis that could lead to self-harm. Other than that, we’ll be rabidly rooting for newest Chargers fourth stringer Zach Wilson to get a shot to play in preseason over Easton Stick and rookie Sam Hartman. 

C'mon.. maybe Sam Hartman if he takes a big step, but he's not even close to Easton Stick's level.

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, Matt39 said:

The Rams would be a perfect landing spot, teaming with head coach Sean McVay and quarterback Matt Stafford, who will be 36 next season.

Wait, what?  Who wrote this?  Perfect?  Their OC is the meanie that didnt play nicey nice w/ Zachypoo and didnt call the good plays for him so Zachy whacky proceed to drive him out of town.

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Matt39 said:

At times, Wilson looked like he was in his 2020 form at BYU. In a three-point loss to the defending Super Bowl champion Chiefs, he completed 28 of 39 passes for 245 yards, two touchdowns, 0 interceptions. In a win over the playoff-bound Texans, he threw for 301 yards, two touchdowns and 0 interceptions.

2 TD's, twice, ya'll!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Just like the BYU days, ya'll!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Haha 3