AFC East Coaches' Hot Seat

AFC East Coaches Hot Seat  

54 members have voted

1. 1. Who has the hottest seat in '24?

• Sean McDermot
    • Mike McDaniel
    • Steroid Pinocchio

If Harbaugh goes back to Michigan this cycle, McDaniel is going to have to get to the Super Bowl next year to keep the Dolphins job. All Saleh has to do is win ten games and keep it close into the fourth quarter of a Wild Card Game and Woody will be happy with it. I think there’s a non-zero chance that McDermott gets clipped this cycle. Buffalo would be a plus-plus job and the complaint with McDermott is that he can’t get them over the hump. 

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

If Harbaugh goes back to Michigan this cycle, McDaniel is going to have to get to the Super Bowl next year to keep the Dolphins job. All Saleh has to do is win ten games and keep it close into the fourth quarter of a Wild Card Game and Woody will be happy with it. I think there’s a non-zero chance that McDermott gets clipped this cycle. Buffalo would be a plus-plus job and the complaint with McDermott is that he can’t get them over the hump. 

That was Tony Dungy's situation in Tampa Bay.  Great team, couldn't get over the hump and get to a Super Bowl.  They fired him, brought in Jon Gruden and voila!  Super Bowl Championship.

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 1

If things don't go well next season, it will be an entire top-to-bottom team purge in less than one year's time for the Jets.  That alone makes it the hottest seat for everyone currently collecting on their payroll.  That includes Saleh, JD, and every single person who reports up to either of them.

While either of the McDs could start to feel some heat next year depending on how their seasons progress, falling short in the playoffs is not quite to the level of years of continual failure.

9 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

That was Tony Dungy's situation in Tampa Bay.  Great team, couldn't get over the hump and get to a Super Bowl.  They fired him, brought in Jon Gruden with the raider playbook and voila!  Super Bowl Championship.

Fixed

• Haha 1

I thought mad dog opie looking guy made a huge mistake by going for it on fourth and long in his own territory.  It’s a good thing the chiefs couldn’t capitalize on it.  As it was the chiefs were clearly playing better in the second half.  The hardman play set them back a bit but they came right back and were moving the chains almost at will.

10 hours ago, T0mShane said:

I got vilified on this site two years ago when they let the Bills go 65 yards in 13 secs. I said that their window had closed with this group. It just doesn’t work. Going out two years in a row at home. They have to break this thing up. The Bills remind me of the late70’s early 80’s Montreal Expos, really good with lots of great players but couldn’t close the deal.

How long would it take Belichick to take the Bills job just to stick it to Kraft? 

If he sticks it to Kraft, I think Kraft would prefer if Belichick used his index finger instead of the ring…lotta super bowl brass that could bother the ass

I'm not sold that McDermot is safe after the way the bills lost last night. KC probably should have lost that game as they kept letting the bills hang around. The fake punt play should have been the dagger. The offense ditching the run on their final drive. Allen tried to give away the game at the end. That game shouldn't have come down to a last second FG to get to over time. The bills were out coached and they didn't execute. When you watched those two teams play last night, KC just looked more put together. The bills choked again. This is now a theme with this version of the team. We're seeing the McDermott peak, If im the bills, I roll the dice and see if I can upgrade. The bills instantly would be the best landing spot in the league. Harbaugh and Belicheck would def be in play. Saleh and Mcdaniel are safe for next season, so I voted for Mcdermott since it wouldn't shock me if he is fired in the coming days.

• Upvote 1

I was just going to say - is McDermott 100% safe this time around?

I think he’s a good coach, but 3 straight brutal divisional playoff losses in a row - including the last two at home as favorites. It feels like they may have reached their ceiling with McDermott and are wasting Josh Allen’s prime. 

this feels a little harsh because they had so many injuries on defense this year and win the division every year, but it also feels like they could benefit from a change. 

10 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

That was Tony Dungy's situation in Tampa Bay.  Great team, couldn't get over the hump and get to a Super Bowl.  They fired him, brought in Jon Gruden and voila!  Super Bowl Championship.

Upvoted for "voila".

I've seen "wallah" written here recently and I still feel ill.

• Haha 1

• The NFL is not entirely happy with all of the HCs/GMs that get fired, and the resulting severance costs.  I am sure that had some influence on retaining McCarthy.
  • If you are a business, having a coach that wins you 11+ games every year and makes the playoffs is good business.  

16 hours ago, T0mShane said:

LMAO  Never happen  unless Rodgers has a huge year.  

16 hours ago, T0mShane said:

How long would it take Belichick to take the Bills job just to stick it to Kraft? 

That would be fascinating.  I think BB wants the accolades from the New England fans after he retires though so they're probably off-limits.  It would've been interesting had TB12 gone to Miami though (like he was rumored to).  Thankfully, he didn't.