2024 UFA WR

15 hours ago, Paradis said:

Higgins will be tagged and if he isn't he will want to reset the WR bar. And he will get it., 

Forget Higgins, it's a pipedream. 

Same for Pittman. There's nobody else on the Colts pending FAs who could get tagged and they're not letting an elite young big WR walk away the year after drafting a QB

• Upvote 2

18 hours ago, Integrity28 said:

Prioritize:

Tee Higgins 

Michael Pittman Jr

Calvin Ridley 

Plan B:

Kendrick Bourne

Marquise Brown

Tyler Boyd

Resist the temptation:

Mike Evans (on his way down, not up)

Odell Beckham Jr 

Gabe Davis

Give me Evans. Rodgers will love him.

• Thumb Down 1

44 minutes ago, derp said:

Jets fans are going to work themselves into a frenzy talking about Pittman, Higgins, Ridley, Evans, and Adams leading up to Joe Douglas giving Darnell Mooney 3/$33M.

JD is garbage GM our WR corps has stunk for years 

9 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

JD is garbage GM our WR corps has stunk for years 

QB position attracts FA WR. Assuming offers are some what similar, a WR will almost certainly always choose the team with the better QB / better passing offense. Rodgers is 40 and coming off a serious injury. Rodgers shouldn’t be looked at as a sure fire qb anymore. Hes a risky bet. Until this team can prove it can feed these WRers, this will always be a low end option.

The people who are begging for the best of the best will be disappointed. This, at least on paper, is a bad business decision coming here. 

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, Paradis said:

Higgins will be tagged and if he isn't he will want to reset the WR bar. And he will get it., 

Forget Higgins, it's a pipedream. 

I agree, however as a caveat.  I had heard they tried to inquire about trading for him last year.  There will definitely be interest as I've heard Douglas is going to try to land 1-2 Wr's this year to improve the offense.  We'll see how that goes, and who wants to come here but I do think there will be interest on our end to negotiate with him. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, derp said:

Jets fans are going to work themselves into a frenzy talking about Pittman, Higgins, Ridley, Evans, and Adams leading up to Joe Douglas giving Darnell Mooney 3/$33M.

Normally this is what I would expect, but Saleh and Douglas’ collective assh0les are going to be blistering for at least the next full calendar year.

They have no choice but to go all in this offseason.

Fortify the OL and add another playmaker in the passing game and there’s no reason this team shouldn’t be in the playoffs.

4 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

Normally this is what I would expect, but Saleh and Douglas’ collective assh0les are going to be blistering for at least the next full calendar year.

Fortify the OL and add another playmaker in the passing game and there’s no reason this team shouldn’t be in the playoffs.

I was partially joking. All that being said:

-the team currently has very few assets to work with - no second round pick, $5m in cap space before the draft class 

-they have serious other needs - including both starting tackles

-cutting other players to open cap space is just going to create other needs

-Douglas’ contract is basically up after this year and we don’t know how much leeway Woody Johnson is going to give a lame duck GM to move cap spending to future years 

31 minutes ago, Chrebetfan80 said:

I agree, however as a caveat.  I had heard they tried to inquire about trading for him last year.  There will definitely be interest as I've heard Douglas is going to try to land 1-2 Wr's this year to improve the offense.  We'll see how that goes, and who wants to come here but I do think there will be interest on our end to negotiate with him. 

Think it was Evans, Adams and Higgins they were linked to at the trade deadline.

The Jets need to stop being the top leaders of "showing interest" and land one of these dudes already. If they become available, then it needs to be a full court press.

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

Going all in means nothing if the players don’t want to come here. JD can break his code and over spend but that doesn’t mean that will be enough. If you look at the recent history of the jets FA signings, there is one big problem. These guys never leave here with similar or better value. It’s a business at the end of the day and these top players aren’t going to be interested in going to risky situations.

20 hours ago, Integrity28 said:

Prioritize:

Tee Higgins 

Michael Pittman Jr

Calvin Ridley 

Plan B:

Kendrick Bourne

Marquise Brown

Tyler Boyd

Resist the temptation:

Mike Evans (on his way down, not up)

Odell Beckham Jr 

Gabe Davis

Mike Evans vs your "prioritize" list in 2023:Screenshot_20240124_094416.thumb.jpg.ffffb5c991ba35eb009067cc99543cd9.jpg

The idea that Evans is on the way down is ridiculous. He is by far the most talented (outside of Adams) WR available. 

Beside that, he is a perfect compliment to Garrett Wilson and an excellent redzone target.

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, extmenace said:

Going all in means nothing if the players don’t want to come here. JD can break his code and over spend but that doesn’t mean that will be enough. If you look at the recent history of the jets FA signings, there is one big problem. These guys never leave here with similar or better value. It’s a business at the end of the day and these top players aren’t going to be interested in going to risky situations.

Douglas has to do what he has to do.

I refuse to believe that he’s so stupid as to not realize that if things go south again this year, he’s out of a job.

This is why I’m not even really entertaining the idea of a 1st round receiver. Douglas, Saleh and Rodgers have all publicly said that we need another option on the outside to compliment Garrett. I don’t expect them to just wait around until the 10th pick and just hope that a guy like Odunze is there. Within the next two months I fully expect one of Adams, Higgins, or Evans to be a Jet. Worst case scenario they sign a guy like Boyd.

I'm always wary of investing in the idea of signing presumed UFA players, when history shows that the bulk of them never actually hit free agency.

Most of the decent ones get tagged, or resigned, or tagged and traded, or otherwise never actually hit the market for teams like us to woo.

And even if they do, we're competing against 31 other teams for them, and we rarely win out on top guys in that fight.

This is why the Draft is so vital for teams like us.  We're never going to solve our needs via Free Agency.  JMO.

2 hours ago, derp said:

Honestly this is what I see being the most likely scenario.  We end up signing a B or C tier WR(still way above a guy like Cobb), and more likely we use UFA to address OT while we draft our #2 weapon in the 1st. 

They still clearly believe in Becton, at least to the point of wanting to give him one more year.  Probably at RT I'd imagine.  Then I'd guess they would go after one of these short-term vets at LT and buy another year of development time for Warren.  Most likely Bakhtiari since I'd imagine he'll be cut and he's tight with Rodgers.  I know most people would be disappointed with this route but you could argue it gives us a better chance to win next year than having to rely on a rookie LT.

Meanwhile we've seen first hand rookie WRs come in and make a big impact right out of the gate(with awful QB play to boot).  Maybe they take Nabers or Odunze if they fall, or they take Bowers, or they reach on a guy like Brian Thomas Jr, or they trade down and take a guy like Franklin, Mitchell, Coleman, Walker, McConkey(adding a 2nd in the process that they could use on a guard or a DT, maybe even an OT depending on who's there).  

IMO this is probably the safest and most realistic route.  Address LT in free agency, which should be cheap and relatively easy, and draft a weapon at 10 or below since there are weapons abound.  Rather than signing a WR in UFA which will cost $20M+ and crossing your fingers that a LT will drop to us at 10.  If they don't and you've already committed to needing to draft one to fill the roster, you're probably looking at a trade-down for Suamataia.  I like his upside a lot, but he strikes me as the type of guy who will struggle year one - in a "win now" year.  Hell, I could see Olu struggling year one as well.  

1 hour ago, Untouchable said:

Douglas has to do what he has to do.

I refuse to believe that he’s so stupid as to not realize that if things go south again this year, he’s out of a job.

This is why I’m not even really entertaining the idea of a 1st round receiver. Douglas, Saleh and Rodgers have all publicly said that we need another option on the outside to compliment Garrett. I don’t expect them to just wait around until the 10th pick and just hope that a guy like Odunze is there. Within the next two months I fully expect one of Adams, Higgins, or Evans to be a Jet. Worst case scenario they sign a guy like Boyd.

I’m with you in terms of JD knowing he has to get a second legit WR target. What I disagree with you on is his ability to actually land a free agent option. JD knows this is a very tough sell. He has to try to convince a top option WR that this is a good business decision when history has proven it isn’t. When teams like KC and Buffalo are offering the same money, they’ll go there for sure. When teams like the bengals are bidding to keep their guys…it just really hard to justify that a player will think that signing with the jets is a good business decision. There are several teams that need to either keep or compete with the jets to get a WR. Giants, falcons, Carolina are also going to be active you’d think. Some of these guys will be tagged and never be available. Now throw in non team issues such as some of the worst tax rates in the league and the toxic media coverage and it makes it even harder. point being is this isn’t a prime destination regardless of how desperate the jets will be to land a guy. Guys like Evans, Higgins, and Pittman will have their choice (if they aren’t tagged). It makes no sense to come here when there are so many better options that are way less risky. We’ll either have to settle on a guy like Curtis Samuel at a fair market rate, over pay for a guy like Tyler boyd(who I actually really like), or spend assets to force a trade to get a guy like Adams. I’m not being negative here either, it’s just the reality of the situation. I just dont think we’ll have a legit shot at landing a stud in free agency.

50 minutes ago, bonkertons said:

Honestly this is what I see being the most likely scenario.  We end up signing a B or C tier WR(still way above a guy like Cobb), and more likely we use UFA to address OT while we draft our #2 weapon in the 1st. 

They still clearly believe in Becton, at least to the point of wanting to give him one more year.  Probably at RT I'd imagine.  Then I'd guess they would go after one of these short-term vets at LT and buy another year of development time for Warren.  Most likely Bakhtiari since I'd imagine he'll be cut and he's tight with Rodgers.  I know most people would be disappointed with this route but you could argue it gives us a better chance to win next year than having to rely on a rookie LT.

Meanwhile we've seen first hand rookie WRs come in and make a big impact right out of the gate(with awful QB play to boot).  Maybe they take Nabers or Odunze if they fall, or they take Bowers, or they reach on a guy like Brian Thomas Jr, or they trade down and take a guy like Franklin, Mitchell, Coleman, Walker, McConkey(adding a 2nd in the process that they could use on a guard or a DT, maybe even an OT depending on who's there).  

IMO this is probably the safest and most realistic route.  Address LT in free agency, which should be cheap and relatively easy, and draft a weapon at 10 or below since there are weapons abound.  Rather than signing a WR in UFA which will cost $20M+ and crossing your fingers that a LT will drop to us at 10.  If they don't and you've already committed to needing to draft one to fill the roster, you're probably looking at a trade-down for Suamataia.  I like his upside a lot, but he strikes me as the type of guy who will struggle year one - in a "win now" year.  Hell, I could see Olu struggling year one as well.  

I'm leery of trusting a rookie tackle to hit the ground running day one. Would rather add veteran starting caliber players, quality young depth there via the draft, and work on having a good OL pipeline. And if the best player at #10 is a tackle and they can't move down or really love the player, that's fine.

I think if they're looking for immediate impact with a high draft pick, as you said, it's the skill players who do that right now. I think they get more reps and are just better prepared to play in the NFL than offensive linemen.

10 minutes ago, derp said:

I'm leery of trusting a rookie tackle to hit the ground running day one. Would rather add veteran starting caliber players, quality young depth there via the draft, and work on having a good OL pipeline. And if the best player at #10 is a tackle and they can't move down or really love the player, that's fine.

I think if they're looking for immediate impact with a high draft pick, as you said, it's the skill players who do that right now. I think they get more reps and are just better prepared to play in the NFL than offensive linemen.

I wonder how they view Warren.  I feel like he could impact what they decide to do here, if they're high enough on him.  I thought he looked really good during that 2 game stretch at LT.  At RT he looked like a rookie, but I don't think that's his strongest position.  I think it's possible they prefer to bring in a stop-gap and give Warren another year of development.  Worst case he just doesn't develop the way you hoped and you look to draft a kid next year in the 1st.  Obviously it won't be an Olu type(most likely), but you should still be able to find a Suamataia-type next year, you'd think.  

49 minutes ago, bonkertons said:

I wonder how they view Warren.  I feel like he could impact what they decide to do here, if they're high enough on him.  I thought he looked really good during that 2 game stretch at LT.  At RT he looked like a rookie, but I don't think that's his strongest position.  I think it's possible they prefer to bring in a stop-gap and give Warren another year of development.  Worst case he just doesn't develop the way you hoped and you look to draft a kid next year in the 1st.  Obviously it won't be an Olu type(most likely), but you should still be able to find a Suamataia-type next year, you'd think.  

Yeah, it's a great question. Ultimately I think they need to have two potentially passable starting tackle options plus a swing tackle they feel okay about heading into the draft. That way if they're not taking a tackle until like, round three, it's okay.

Where does Warren fall there? To me the safe bet is as the swing tackle. I think having him fourth on the depth chart heading into the draft is excessive. But maybe they have Warren penciled in as the RT and Mitchell or Billy Turner is the swing tackle. Not my favorite option, but possible.

Really depends how they fill the other starting spots too. I kind of think they're bringing in Bakhtiari as you posted previously in this thread, and if they do I think that swing role takes on a little more importance. Bakhtiari-Warren starting with Mitchell-Turner behind feels light heading into the draft when you're really not sure if Bakhtiari will be healthy. Add in a more viable starting RT there with Warren as the swing, a steady if not exciting WR, and I think you're in business to take what comes to you in the draft.

The position we're not talking about at all that I think deserves some attention is RB2. It's not Michael Cater, it's not Dalvin Cook. I'd love a home run hitter behind Hall to play less than half the snaps if they find a guy they love and that third/fourth round range looks like it'll be pretty RB heavy in this class.

EDIT: forgot about Izzy who I'd love to see grab that role and not let it go.

2 hours ago, bgivs21 said:

Mike Evans vs your "prioritize" list in 2023:Screenshot_20240124_094416.thumb.jpg.ffffb5c991ba35eb009067cc99543cd9.jpg

The idea that Evans is on the way down is ridiculous. He is by far the most talented (outside of Adams) WR available. 

Beside that, he is a perfect compliment to Garrett Wilson and an excellent redzone target.

1. I’m not making the argument that those guys are better.

2. He’s been a model of consistency, which is 100% why he’ll fall of a cliff immediately upon signing with the Jets. Hence the “on his way down” comment.

3. He will 100% be the highest priced guy out there and we need 4 offensive lineman. Some of them need to come from FA, since we don’t have many early draft picks.

Theres no disagreement with what you’re saying. I’m simply explaining how I got here.

21 hours ago, JustInFudge said:

I cant imagine them going for the top tier dudes...but any of those dudes would be a great though I love me some Tee Higgins.

I wouldnt shy away from Evans simply because we're shooting at a window here w/ Rodgers.  Hollywood Brown and Tyler Boyd could make a lot of sense though.  

I'm all in for Tee. Love those big Possession guys Tee will make those contested catches Lazard can only dream of making

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, Doggin94it said:

Same for Pittman. There's nobody else on the Colts pending FAs who could get tagged and they're not letting an elite young big WR walk away the year after drafting a QB

We had chances to draft both of them, and a need. Instead we thought we'd outsmart 31 other teams by trading back again and again and taking Mims. 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

22 hours ago, Paradis said:

We had chances to draft both of them, and a need. Instead we thought we'd outsmart 31 other teams by trading back again and again and taking Mims. 

Nope. Higgins and Pittman were the first two picks of Rd 2 that year (we took Becton in the first). The only WRs who went off the board between 48 (the pick we traded) and 59 were Chase Claypool and Van Jefferson

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2020_NFL_Draft

On 1/24/2024 at 6:40 PM, Bobby816 said:

Splitting hairs if you ask me. Id be happy to add any one of Evans, Higgins, Ridley or Pittman.

Jets sign Ridley and then he gets suspended again for gambling on games he’s playing in.  The next great jet debacle

Marquise Brown I like a lot and we can buy low on him.  

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Rich Thornburgh said:

Jets sign Ridley and then he gets suspended again for gambling on games he’s playing in.  The next great jet debacle

Marquise Brown I like a lot and we can buy low on him.  

I'd welcome Brown

• Upvote 1

Higgins is going to get around 25 million per year. With the amount of holes on the OL, I do not know if we can afford that. 

I think Chargers, who are in cap hell, will release Keenan Allen. Maybe we can grab him. 

Broncos, who are in cap hell, maybe we call and inquire about Sutton. 

If not, I’ll look into adding Pittman or Hollywood Brown. Either way, we must sign a free agent and draft one. This is a deep WR class.