Cimini: JD has eye on OT Taliese Fuaga

1 minute ago, T0mShane said:

Not to be pre-doomer here, but I think if we draft Fuaga at 10, Douglas will sign Bakhtiari to a fat, fat deal and we’ll be reading all summer how Fuaga is getting cooked off the edge by every Jets edge rusher and Bakhtiari will be a non-participant until late September because he’s recovering from one of his million surgeries. Meanwhile, some team behind us will draft a guy who starts at left tackle for them for ten years and makes five Pro Bowls

Sounds about right.  Dont forget Coach Bobby giving out "Veteran Rest Days"  2-3 days in from the start of training camp

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Not to be pre-doomer here, but I think if we draft Fuaga at 10, Douglas will sign Bakhtiari to a fat, fat deal and we’ll be reading all summer how Fuaga is getting cooked off the edge by every Jets edge rusher and Bakhtiari will be a non-participant until late September because he’s recovering from one of his million surgeries. Meanwhile, some team behind us will draft a guy who starts at left tackle for them for ten years and makes five Pro Bowls

I can't even picture something like this not happening.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Jetpain said:

Sounds about right.  Dont forget Coach Bobby giving out "Veteran Rest Days"  2-3 days in from the start of training camp

What’s funny about this is that I was looking for a quote Saleh gave during the BYE about Rodgers coming back and I came upon this article where Saleh explains that he was “changing it up” this year to avoid a post-BYE crash, and that he was going to take it easier on the players this past season so they would be good to go after the off week. (They went 1-5 after the break, with the one win coming against Tommy DeVito in a game the Giants had in the bag).

https://nypost.com/2023/10/23/sports/jets-robert-saleh-has-new-plan-to-avoid-post-bye-week-slump/amp/

• Sympathy 1

21 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

What’s funny about this is that I was looking for a quote Saleh gave during the BYE about Rodgers coming back and I came upon this article where Saleh explains that he was “changing it up” this year to avoid a post-BYE crash, and that he was going to take it easier on the players this past season so they would be good to go after the off week. (They went 1-5 after the break, with the one win coming against Tommy DeVito in a game the Giants had in the bag).

https://nypost.com/2023/10/23/sports/jets-robert-saleh-has-new-plan-to-avoid-post-bye-week-slump/amp/

It is not often you come across such an accomplished strategic thinker like Coach Bobby.   Nothing says "All Gas, No Brakes" like rest days 3 days into camp and taking it easier during the bye week when your O line could use every possible rep together. 

• Post of the Week 1
  • Haha 1

40 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

i can't wait for the Laken tomlinson hype articles

the dude is worse than the street free agents like Jake Hanson and they keep doubling down on that terrible contract 

• Upvote 2

In Jake Asman’s mock draft they were able to trade down and pick up a second round pick, and still get Fuaga in the first round.  Got Cooper Beebe in Second and the WR from Michigan in the 3rd.  Good imaginary draft.  

3 hours ago, varjet said:

In Jake Asman’s mock draft they were able to trade down and pick up a second round pick, and still get Fuaga in the first round.  Got Cooper Beebe in Second and the WR from Michigan in the 3rd.  Good imaginary draft.  

He used one of those websites with the mock drafts?   Those things are ridiculous.  

22 hours ago, T0mShane said:

The first and second string o-line were in the medical tent again.  

It's the one constant to the Jets starting well and playing horrible in the second half.

They have to figure out how to keep the line healthy. 

Cimini:

"One school of thought making the rounds is Douglas could trade down, take Fuaga or Guyton in the middle of the first round and recoup a second-round pick. Currently, the Jets don't have a second rounder, a big hole in their draft. It belongs to the Green Bay Packers from the Aaron Rodgers trade."

A couple of other OTs options later in the 1st:

Jordan Morgan, OT, Arizona

Kingsley Suamataia OT, BYU

Wouldn't mind picking him if Jets get a 2nd and he is still on the board...

Graham Barton, OT/G/C, Duke
Height: 6-5. Weight: 306.
Projected 40 Time: 5.30.
Projected Round (2024): 1-2.

1/6/24: Some pro sources said their teams are projecting Barton to move inside to guard in the NFL. They noted that Barton plays with short arms and his body type could fit better on the inside. He also has anchor issues with stopping speed to power. Pro evaluators said they like how Barton is physical, nasty and strong in the ground game.

At left tackle for Duke, Barton was a consistent run blocker and pass protector. He missed time and played through some injuries in 2023. Some sources said they think Barton would be a fabulous center in the NFL. He played some center as a freshman, but might need development in terms of snapping the ball.

https://walterfootball.com/draft2024OT.php

The vibe I get is that there are a lot of OL.  They may not be perfect but they are better than what we have.  
The smart move in this draft is to trade down and accumulate picks.  
I am also wondering if Tyler Guyton is a better pick than Fuaga.  

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

On 1/30/2024 at 12:31 PM, varjet said:

Bowers looks great.  Generational.  Over the past 10+ years we have seen many TEs be predicted to be great.   The Falcons used a high pick on the last generational TE, and they still stink.  Hockensen.  Djoku.  Guys like Gronk, Kelce and Kittle get picked in the 2nd, 3rd and 5th round.   There are no FA OL available really, particularly Ts.  You need Ts for an NFL team.  You draft them in Round 1 if you have to.  You try and find them lower.  You don't use the 1st round for C and G-those you have to find lower.  Basically 2nd for C and 3 and 4 for G. 

Yup you need your TE to single handedly change your entire team like any great run blocking right tackle does. Besides, you can’t find run blocking right tackles in the 2,3 5th  round. Those need to be top ten picks.

What round would Kelce Gronk etc go if they were being picked now? Guys outperform their draft slot sometimes. You don’t use that as a reason to pass on a potential hall of famer/ every down mismatch especially when youre dying for a second mismatch pass catcher that will be yours gor five years (at minimum)

On 2/3/2024 at 9:41 AM, T0mShane said:

I mean it’s safe to say at this point that whatever OL he drafts will be a disaster. 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

On 1/30/2024 at 11:22 AM, Skeet Ulrich said:

Better run blocker than pass blocker. Projects to be a high end starter, wouldn't be mad at the pick.

We better trade back several times then gain capitol. This dude will be available at 25.

On 2/3/2024 at 9:15 AM, C Mart said:

Can he play LT? 

Oregon State image Tallies Fuaga, OT, Oregon State
Height: 6-6. Weight: 334.
Projected 40 Time: 5.40.
Projected Round (2024): 2-3.

1/6/24: Fuaga has gotten some media hype as a potential first-round pick for the 2024 NFL Draft. He was a starter and solid player for the Beavers over the last couple of seasons. In speaking to some NFL team sources, they weren’t as high on Fuaga as the media, but perhaps there are other team evaluators who like him more. Fuaga has a body type that could allow him to kick inside to guard as well.

https://walterfootball.com/draft2024OT.php

10. New York Jets

Taliese Fuaga, OT, Oregon State

It's no secret the Jets need major help at tackle. Fuaga is coming off an amazing week of practice at the Senior Bowl, where he was the best overall prospect in attendance. A right tackle in college, Fuaga has the movement and power to play either side in the pros. A perfect pairing for the Jets would be signing a veteran free agent like Tyron Smith to play the left side and drafting Fuaga to man the right. Without a second-round pick thanks to the Aaron Rodgers trade, the Jets have to invest in the O-line early, especially with Mekhi Becton heading toward free agency after New York declined his fifth-year option.

2024 NFL mock draft: Miller's pick predictions in Rounds 1-2

Feb 5, 2024, 06:55 AM ET

1 hour ago, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

Thorn is good and well-respected.  All he does is OL eval.

If he thinks Fuaga is a reach at #10, I'll take his word over sleepy Joe Douglas' any day.

Fair enough, but liking Tristan Wirfs does not make him some savant.  Everybody liked Wirfs.  

There are more mocks with Fuaga being gone before we pick than Fashanu, it seems. Despite all the panic that after Alt and Fashanu the table is bare. I know Fuaga is RT mainly, but there's a lot of question marks coming up about Fashanu and how much development he still needs.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

Still holding out hope for Bowers, but if we go OT I really have no idea which direction I'd go.  I think Fuaga will probably be the best prospect but Olu is more of a "win now" pick, mainly because he excels in pass protection.  Also the fact that he's a LT makes him a bit more valuable IMO.  A guy like Guyton is also pretty attractive, in that he has the measurables, he can step in immediately at RT, but he can also be developed to take over at LT down the line.  He's been rising up boards pretty quickly after an impressive Senior Bowl.

All I know is, we can't **** this up.  Like I don't care if we don't end up with the best prospect as long as the guy we take turns into a PB-caliber OT.  This just can't be another Becton over Wirfs type situation.  I think the safest play is to bring in the veteran short-term LT(Bakhtiari or Brown or even Becton) and draft Fuaga.  You end up with the best prospect IMO - potentially the safest as well - and you buy yourself another year to see if Warren can take that LT spot.