Drake Maye could fall in draft

11 hours ago, bla bla bla said:

I think we are gonna try and trade back. Hopefully someone wants to come up. 

1) OT

2) OT

3) WR

4a) G

4b) QB

6) RB

7a) DT

7b) CB

7c) S

I can’t wait until that tackle sucks his rookie year and the QB and WR we pass on go on to have epic rookie years.

Relying on a rookie lineman in this modern day nfl is dangerous especially with a 40 year old on 1 leg

but here we are and every jets fan is parroting this. 

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1
  • Ugh 1

8 minutes ago, oatmeal said:

I can’t wait until that tackle sucks his rookie year and the QB and WR we pass on go on to have epic rookie years.

Relying on a rookie lineman in this modern day nfl is dangerous especially with a 40 year old on 1 leg

but here we are and every jets fan is parroting this. 

I don't think this is what the Jets want to do, I think it's what we'll be forced to do

2 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

Don’t love nix or penix anyway, would only be pissed if they didn’t take maye but maye isn’t making it to 10 anyway.  

I feel like QB talk is pointless, Douglas and Saleh are not risking their most valuable asset in their final year on a kid that isn't going to play all season

• Upvote 1

If I’m the Bears and my evaluations on Maye and Williams are close, I’m probably drafting Maye anyway. Maye could have easily jumped in the portal last year when all of his receivers left, but he stayed loyal to UNC and got beat to sh*t this year because of it. The Bears destroy young QBs and Eberflus is a lame duck. They’re gonna need a QB willing to put up with some bullsh*t. 

And if I’m Caleb Williams and I have $20(?) mil in NIL money in my bank account, I’m dictating where I play regardless. I’m simply telling Chicago to pound sand and if I want to go to Washington, I’m getting drafted by Washington or I’m chilling for another year when the 2025 QB class is awful and I can call my shot again. If the Bears try to hardball me by trading 1.1 to the Raiders or some bullsh*t team, I wish them all good luck in that endeavor and watch them sh*t their pants.

Depending on which team drafts which player as it's a factor....

• Jayden Daniels will most likely be the best QB of this class
  • Caleb is a complete boom or bust prospect
  • Maye's ceiling is lower than Daniels and floor is higher than Caleb's

Maye isn't dropping past 4 or 5 though and most likely isn't going back the second spot. This is draft season smokescreen stuff.

34 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

The best i can see is taking pratt late round 3 or early 4.  

I'm a Pratt fan, would be stoked if he was a 4th round pick but the vibe I get is that QB3 will not be seen as a priority with our draft capitol in a hot seat year.

57 minutes ago, bla bla bla said:

I don't think this is what the Jets want to do, I think it's what we'll be forced to do

Joe Douglas is the author of his own disaster.  He seems to be 'forced' to make  lot dubious picks, see Will McDonald

4 minutes ago, bla bla bla said:

I'm a Pratt fan, would be stoked if he was a 4th round pick but the vibe I get is that QB3 will not be seen as a priority with our draft capitol in a hot seat year.

I think they’re going to have a tough time filling qb2, so having a guy like pratt may be more important than they realize. 

2 minutes ago, bla bla bla said:

Last year wasn't a hot-seat year for them, coming off a Hall of Fame draft class and just locked in Aaron Rodgers. They 100% thought they were safe for this past year.

The McDonald selection was still criminally stupid. 

The giants pulled this same crap with Kayvon, y’all  forgot about all the leaks about how his personality rubbed the giants the wrong way and no way they were taking him?

This is a team like the Raiders or Broncos trying to muddy the waters early to scare owners away.

Owners have rabbit ears to this type of stuff and are the last say when it comes to who will be drafted 

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

If I’m the Bears and my evaluations on Maye and Williams are close, I’m probably drafting Maye anyway. Maye could have easily jumped in the portal last year when all of his receivers left, but he stayed loyal to UNC and got beat to sh*t this year because of it. The Bears destroy young QBs and Eberflus is a lame duck. They’re gonna need a QB willing to put up with some bullsh*t. 

And if I’m Caleb Williams and I have $20(?) mil in NIL money in my bank account, I’m dictating where I play regardless. I’m simply telling Chicago to pound sand and if I want to go to Washington, I’m getting drafted by Washington or I’m chilling for another year when the 2025 QB class is awful and I can call my shot again. If the Bears try to hardball me by trading 1.1 to the Raiders or some bullsh*t team, I wish them all good luck in that endeavor and watch them sh*t their pants.

If Williams hired an agent I don’t think he can sit out on the draft and nobody will give up a years pay and service year  no matter how much they bluff imo 

3 hours ago, The Crusher said:

Giants? Didn't they already just draft and overpay a Duke University QB? 

They gave Daniel Jones a contract extension yes but can get out of it next year.  Mae plays for North Carolina though and has a lot of traits similar to a Ben Rothslinberger.  Mae could sit for a year behind Jones.  Point being though with the initial question if he slides he is not sliding past that spot.

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, Larz said:

It’s going to be a trade back and then try to double dip for 2 OTs

QB ain’t happening 

I'm confused, why in God's name would they do this?  We're not taking a QB because it's a "win now year", but we'd be comfortable playing two rookie OTs?  Unless one or both of the OTs we take are drafted with an eye toward the future, but then wouldn't that open up QB as a possibility? 

If JD is truly building a team to save his job, I'd eliminate OT from the draft right off the bat.  Go sign two vets and draft the best weapon available at 10.  If we go into this year with rookies at both tackle positions, JD is a near lock to be fired.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, bonkertons said:

If JD is truly building a team to save his job, I'd eliminate OT from the draft right off the bat.  Go sign two vets and draft the best weapon available at 10.  If we go into this year with rookies at both tackle positions, JD is a near lock to be fired.

This right here. It's taking rookie OL longer to adapt to the pros than in years past. While I do not think that we should avoid drafting OT in the 1st (if the right prospect is there at 10 or wherever we end up picking) we will need to solidify the OL as best we can via free agency / trades....or as you said Saleh and Douglas will be out of jobs.

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, bonkertons said:

I'm confused, why in God's name would they do this?  We're not taking a QB because it's a "win now year", but we'd be comfortable playing two rookie OTs?  Unless one or both of the OTs we take are drafted with an eye toward the future, but then wouldn't that open up QB as a possibility? 

Really ?

4 minutes ago, Adoni Beast said:

This right here. It's taking rookie OL longer to adapt to the pros than in years past. While I do not think that we should avoid drafting OT in the 1st (if the right prospect is there at 10 or wherever we end up picking) we will need to solidify the OL as best we can via free agency / trades....or as you said Saleh and Douglas will be out of jobs.

Exactly.  FWIW I'm completely on board with taking an OT, but it's mostly because I think we need another high-end OL, specifically an OT, added to the core of this team.  It would be just as much about the long-term as it would be about next year.  I don't doubt a kid like Fuaga would be an upgrade for us right off the bat as a rookie, but he's still pretty green in pass pro.  There will be growing pains.  If the goal is to "win at all costs" though it probably makes more sense to sign two tackles and either draft Bowers or Odunze if they fall or move back for one of the next tier of WRs(Brian Thomas Jr, Troy Franklin, Ladd McConkey).  

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, bonkertons said:

Exactly.  FWIW I'm completely on board with taking an OT, but it's mostly because I think we need another high-end OL, specifically an OT, added to the core of this team.  It would be just as much about the long-term as it would be about next year.  I don't doubt a kid like Fuaga would be an upgrade for us right off the bat as a rookie, but he's still pretty green in pass pro.  There will be growing pains.  If the goal is to "win at all costs" though it probably makes more sense to sign two tackles and either draft Bowers or Odunze if they fall or move back for one of the next tier of WRs(Brian Thomas Jr, Troy Franklin, Ladd McConkey).  

I think we end up spending or trading for a LT in free agency, draft a RT and are comfortable enough starting Carter Warren at RT if said draft pick is not ready to start at the beginning of the season.

Two OTs are what the team needs but the team needs two OTs who will see the field with reasonable certainty next year. Douglas may be looking for trades or FA acquisitions to use the first pick on a WR. Rodgers's whole meltdown with GB kicked off when they drafted Love instead of picking up another offensive weapon. The Jets need another competent receiver as bad as they need two tackles.

Regardless of how they fill those needs, it's pretty clear a QB is not going to be a day one pick, no matter how great the opportunity. 

15 hours ago, Rhg1084 said:

Just don’t see how you can pass up on any top QB prospect if he staring you in face! Learn for a year or two behind Rodgers and plus gonna have to start paying our stars soon will need big $$$!! A QB on a rookie contract is very enticing

After GB making the PO and Rodgers injury, you better believe Rodgers will be on a mission this season and Bobbie and Jow will be getting him whatever he needs. Their careers are depending on it!

#1- 1 OT and 1 Guard with starting caliber talent.

#2- WR 1A behind GW with starting caliber makeup

#3- Another RB with starting caliber talent & athleticism. Hoping Izzy will be our #2 but we need depth

No Qb!

• Upvote 1

I'm going to say this and I'm going to say this once. None of the top 3 QBs are falling to 10. Its just not happening. If one of them somehow slips (and my money is on Caleb being that guy), a team will move up ahead of the Jets to take him. Right now I see the Bears taking Caleb Williams, the Commanders taking Maye and the Pats taking Daniels. 

Those are the first 3 picks in the draft. 

MAYBE Caleb Williams slides if MHJ ands up being the pick for one of the top 3 QB needy teams instead. But in that case I think either the Giants will take him at 6 or Minn will move up for him (maybe via trade with ATL?). 

14 minutes ago, Larz said:

Let’s get fake mad about the draft before free agency. Always a good use of time 

Who are we talking about?  Someone got mad?  Weirdly enough I assumed you were upset, since you started talking in riddles instead of just....you know....responding....like a normal person.

57 minutes ago, bonkertons said:

If JD is thinking beyond 2024 then he’s thinking qb b/c rodgers is going to miss games this year and may even retire at the end of the year.  If he retires, then no scrub vet backup is going to save jd’s job anyway.  The ballsy thing to do is draft mccarthy and covert defensive assets to offense and go OL in rounds 2 and 3.