A defense of Woody Johnson

The Jets do have the longest playoffless drought in NA sports, but only through semantics. The Buffalo Sabres will have matched the Jets futility after this season. Since the last Sabres playoff appearance they have gone through 7 head coaches and have had FOUR top 2 draft picks. They still suck. 

The Sabres are owned by the same guy who owns the Bills. The team that is currently dominating the AFC East. 

My theory:

Ownership doesn’t matter and front office doesn’t matter. These GMs don’t go to school for this job. Most of them are just hired through some connection and stick in front offices because they didn’t have a good enough playing career to become a coach. There is no exact science on how to pick these players. It’s a total crap shoot that an AI Generated chimpanzee can easily do just as effectively as the best GM in NFL. You think Joe Schoen knows more about NFL football than Bill Belichick (who supposedly sucks as a Gm?)

Success in pro sports is all about the players and coaches. Acquiring the right players is mostly luck and circumstance. 

Don’t blame Woody. 

• Thumb Down 6
  • WTF? 2
  • Ugh 2
  • Haha 7

It all starts at the top. The owner either hires the coaches (Jerry Jones as one example) or hires the GM/VP who then hires the coaches and selects the players. A good owner hires good GM's and knows when to cut bait and make a replacement. Woody is a failure at both.

• Upvote 3

Woody deserves blame for who he has hired but that is about it from my stand point.   I do not buy this thought that he is constantly pulling strings and forcing the GM and coach to do things and use players.

He talks to the coach and gm and they convince him of the best moves and he is in on these moves and then rightfully asks why the thing that was great a year ago is now terrible.  (See zach wilson)

• Upvote 4

2 minutes ago, billo83 said:

It all starts at the top. The owner either hires the coaches (Jerry Jones as one example) or hires the GM/VP who then hires the coaches and selects the players. A good owner hires good GM's and knows when to cut bait and make a replacement. Woody is a failure at both.

No hes not

• Thumb Down 2

1 minute ago, Beerfish said:

Woody deserves blame for who he has hired but that is about it from my stand point.   I do not buy this thought that he is constantly pulling strings and forcing the GM and coach to do things and use players.

He talks to the coach and gm and they convince him of the best moves and he is in on these moves and then rightfully asks why the thing that was great a year ago is now terrible.  (See zach wilson)

You don't think Woody was behind the moves of Tebow and AR8 as a few examples (or at least a big part of the decision process)? His fingerprints are all over that.  

• Upvote 3

45 minutes ago, PaulHolmes1962 said:

The Jets do have the longest playoffless drought in NA sports, but only through semantics. The Buffalo Sabres will have matched the Jets futility after this season. Since the last Sabres playoff appearance they have gone through 7 head coaches and have had FOUR top 2 draft picks. They still suck. 

The Sabres are owned by the same guy who owns the Bills. The team that is currently dominating the AFC East. 

My theory:

Ownership doesn’t matter and front office doesn’t matter. These GMs don’t go to school for this job. Most of them are just hired through some connection and stick in front offices because they didn’t have a good enough playing career to become a coach. There is no exact science on how to pick these players. It’s a total crap shoot that an AI Generated chimpanzee can easily do just as effectively as the best GM in NFL. You think Joe Schoen knows more about NFL football than Bill Belichick (who supposedly sucks as a Gm?)

Success in pro sports is all about the players and coaches. Acquiring the right players is mostly luck and circumstance. 

Don’t blame Woody. 

Please tell little Woody to stay in his office and off of the internet, thank you , Jet fans.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, kevinc855 said:

Woody has been an easy scapegoat for the fan base. He has done all they asked. 

It’s always been a lazy take to me.

Ok I'll play. Name for me the TOP 5 accomplishments by theJets (on field and off field) since Woody has completed the purchase. 

• Haha 4

29 minutes ago, billo83 said:

You don't think Woody was behind the moves of Tebow and AR8 as a few examples (or at least a big part of the decision process)? His fingerprints are all over that.  

There is a difference between him being a fan boy and wanting a player and him dictating to the GM to go get the guy.  Tanny floated the Tebow idea and Woody saw ticket sales and new uni's and got excited.  Let's not reinvent history here

https://www.espn.com/new-york/nfl/story/_/id/8894381/mike-tannenbaum-tim-tebow-trade-new-york-jets-my-idea-no-regrets

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Scott Dierking said:

Woody needs to stop talking about football to the press and hire someone that handles senior football operations for him. Know what you are good at and stay in your lane. Woody's lane is NOT football operations.

His sperm swam fast.  That’s not a repeatable skill. 

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, billo83 said:

OK, tell us all of the great moves he has made

Spectacular introductions at night and pretty uniforms. He was inspired by how the great 2023 team came together in training camp. So much so that he bought a sauce chain for himself. He hired Robert Saleh and herm Edwards. 

1 hour ago, billo83 said:

No not at all.

Rex Ryan and Tanny were behind Tebow, Rex wanted a wild cat option.  Tanny fell in line and idiotically they guaranteed tebow he would be the back up.  When it all went south suddenly it was all on Woody.

As for Rodgers same thing the GM and coach fell all over themselves and fell in love with Rodgers, they sold woody on it and then of course all three of them are all in on it, thus the reason the coach and gm were not fired last year.

If Saleh and Dogulas told Woody that Derrick Carr was the right move he would have went along.

Woody (and a lot of owners) want to be kept informed but in the vast majority of the cases they trust the guys they hand picked and hired and will go along with them.

The odd owner like Jerry Jones is indeed a true football guy with a sound track record of good team building and are more involved.

These blame he owner stories come out for one reason after the fact.  To excuse the coach and or Gm for terrible moves.

• Post of the Week 1

2 hours ago, PaulHolmes1962 said:

My theory:

Don’t blame Woody. 

Agreed The Sabres suck. Can't score a goal to save their lives. 

• Haha 1

35 minutes ago, BP said:

Without the Jets he’d just be another rich guy. Hes obsessed with being in the spotlight. But he’s a catastrophic failure as an nfl owner.

Hes also a diplomat and did a number to improve UK and US relations (I don’t know what but he was ambassador so figuring he did something)

• Thumb Down 1
  • Haha 2

17 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

No not at all.

Rex Ryan and Tanny were behind Tebow, Rex wanted a wild cat option.  Tanny fell in line and idiotically they guaranteed tebow he would be the back up.  When it all went south suddenly it was all on Woody.

As for Rodgers same thing the GM and coach fell all over themselves and fell in love with Rodgers, they sold woody on it and then of course all three of them are all in on it, thus the reason the coach and gm were not fired last year.

If Saleh and Dogulas told Woody that Derrick Carr was the right move he would have went along.

Woody (and a lot of owners) want to be kept informed but in the vast majority of the cases they trust the guys they hand picked and hired and will go along with them.

The odd owner like Jerry Jones is indeed a true football guy with a sound track record of good team building and are more involved.

These blame he owner stories come out for one reason after the fact.  To excuse the coach and or Gm for terrible moves.

How could anyone compare Tim Tebow to Aaron Rodgers?

Aaron is literally one of the five greatest players ever to play the position. I think the Jets wanted him for reasons other than headlines. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, PaulHolmes1962 said:

My theory:

Don’t blame Woody. 

I am to blame

for watching

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

34 minutes ago, PaulHolmes1962 said:

How could anyone compare Tim Tebow to Aaron Rodgers?

Aaron is literally one of the five greatest players ever to play the position. I think the Jets wanted him for reasons other than headlines. 

At this point they were both terrible QB moves for the team.

The Rodgers move has the potential to be FAR worse for the jets than the Tebow move