George Fant on PFF

PFF is not something you should be guiding your FA acquisitions by. 

However, this article is pretty on point. I like Fant, but if he comes with a massive price tag and its early in FA with other options available, Fant is not my #1 choice. I stay away until his price drops and/or options start to dwindle. 

As far as Smith and Brown - hard pass. 

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, bitonti said:

despite his good-ish year in Houston, George Fant is on the wrong side of 30 and a Laken Tomlinson like decline should be expected 

What do you think of Carter Warren? Did he show you enough to think he may be able to win the RT job and be a plus starter?

9 minutes ago, section314 said:

What do you think of Carter Warren? Did he show you enough to think he may be able to win the RT job and be a plus starter?

People don't want to hear this but I don't think he has the feet to be a real starter. He has no upside he is what he is right now. Pretty strong, pretty big, lumbering feet. "heavy legged waist bender"

There are guys in the NFL who make a living like that, usually at guard. But he can be a swing guy OT3 and not lose too much sleep over it 

the irony is that Max Mitchell has great feet and none of Warren's Anchor. If you combined these two players that would be a full time starter 

• Upvote 3

37 minutes ago, bitonti said:

People don't want to hear this but I don't think he has the feet to be a real starter. He has no upside he is what he is right now. Pretty strong, pretty big, lumbering feet. "heavy legged waist bender"

There are guys in the NFL who make a living like that, usually at guard. But he can be a swing guy OT3 and not lose too much sleep over it 

the irony is that Max Mitchell has great feet and none of Warren's Anchor. If you combined these two players that would be a full time starter 

isn't this part of the whole issue with the oline?  i know people are all for drafting a top tackle or getting one in free agency but i think the goal needs to be to get enough good players who will be able to play every game and most downs.  on paper the oline players the jets had were good enough they just didn't stay on the field together.  as for warren and mitchell, they should either be or start to be coming into their own so they both could figure quite a bit into how the jets play the draft and free agency.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, rangerous said:

isn't this part of the whole issue with the oline?  i know people are all for drafting a top tackle or getting one in free agency but i think the goal needs to be to get enough good players who will be able to play every game and most downs.  on paper the oline players the jets had were good enough they just didn't stay on the field together.  as for warren and mitchell, they should either be or start to be coming into their own so they both could figure quite a bit into how the jets play the draft and free agency.

yes cohesion is a big issue but there needs to be a floor on talent 

put it another way there are no other teams where Carter Warren or Max Mitchell would be starters, therefore they aren't real starters

Joe Tippmann, AVT teams would take gladly

I'm not sure Laken would get many takers

the Jets have exactly 2 real starters on their starting 5. Maybe 3 with Laken but that's a stretch. 

the "solution" is probably all of the above, sign Trent Brown, draft Olu or Fuaga at 10 and also sign/draft a guard to replace Laken 

if Max or Carter have an amazing offseason and can beat out any of those players, that's great news. They should not be given starting jobs because they aren't starters 

50 minutes ago, bitonti said:

I thought he did a nice job at sustaining his blocks and created movement as well. After watching Mekhi, Turner and the other crap they threw out there on the right side, Carter was a sight for sore eyes.

1 hour ago, bitonti said:

You're right. I did not want to hear that.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

Warren looked pretty damn good in his short stint at LT.  Part of why I'd prefer to go after a veteran stopgap is because I think Warren can develop into something there and I'd rather not block him.  A Smith/Brown/Bakhtiari at LT with Warren developing and Fuaga at RT would be a pretty good strategy IMO.  Throw in a LG in the 4th who you can groom behind Tomlinson, and if you draft the right guys your entire OL could be set for the long-term as early as 2025.

As far as the OP goes though, he's not really wrong.  Then again I don't really know why he's even bothering with this sh*t.  No good will ever come out of sending out "no I actually am good!" tweets.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, bitonti said:

despite his good-ish year in Houston, George Fant is on the wrong side of 30 and a Laken Tomlinson like decline should be expected 

The 30 year old cliff drop used to typically be associated with RBs. When did OL enter into that equation ? With the ascension of PFF ??

• Fant made  APY $900K for the Seahawks
  • JD signed Fant to a three year contract APY $9.3mm.  JD had an out in Year 3, but he could not take it because we were so bad on the OL.  This is the guy who is the tough negotiator.  
  • Fant just played well for the Texans last season for $4mm.  
  • I would sign Fant tomorrow, 2 years, $16mm guaranteed.  Defer cap to next year.  Who else is paying that?

Imagine how much better off the Jets would have been if they had just kept Fant at LT - the position he was originally signed to play - and drafted Tristan Wirfs to play RT over Becton.

Fant isn't an elite Tackle, but he's solid and better at LT than at RT.

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 1

2 hours ago, bitonti said:

Has Max Mitchell lifted a weight since being drafted?

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, bitonti said:

yes cohesion is a big issue but there needs to be a floor on talent 

put it another way there are no other teams where Carter Warren or Max Mitchell would be starters, therefore they aren't real starters

Joe Tippmann, AVT teams would take gladly

I'm not sure Laken would get many takers

the Jets have exactly 2 real starters on their starting 5. Maybe 3 with Laken but that's a stretch. 

the "solution" is probably all of the above, sign Trent Brown, draft Olu or Fuaga at 10 and also sign/draft a guard to replace Laken 

if Max or Carter have an amazing offseason and can beat out any of those players, that's great news. They should not be given starting jobs because they aren't starters 

Yep, pretty much.  I’m only saying that Warren and Mitchell need to be properly evaluated.  A lot can change between seasons and it’s possible that the jets have every reason to believe both will be much better next season.  But, as you implied, they probably won’t know until the training camps which will happen after the draft.

2 hours ago, Claymation said:

After watching Mekhi, Turner and the other crap they threw out there on the right side, Carter was a sight for sore eyes.

This is a true statement Carter Warren was better than Becton and Billy turnstile. But that's a real low bar to clear.

Billy Turner should not be on any nfl roster. For all the terrible play the Jets had at tackle and guard, Turner was zero help any time he got reps 

• Upvote 1

This is what I see on the Jets roster of OL-Active/Reserve Future/Injured.

There are 16 OL.  Being charitable, there are FOUR OL we should keep, EIGHT that could and should easily be replaced, and FOUR who should be ejected.  

We should be drafting and signing mass quantities of OL.

• Becton-replaceable
  • Deculus-eject
  • Glaser-replaceable
  • Mitchell-replaceable
  • Newman-replaceable
  • Tippman-KEEP
  • Tomlinson-replaceable-needs to restructure.
  • Turner-eject
  • Warren-KEEP
  • Exe-eject-who?
  • Gurman-replaceable
  • Brown-eject
  • Hanson-replaceable.
  • CMG-KEEP as cheap depth
  • Schweitzer-replaceable
  • AVT-KEEP

2 minutes ago, varjet said:

There are 16 OL.  Being charitable, there are FOUR OL we should keep, EIGHT that could and should easily be replaced, and FOUR who should be ejected.  

• Becton-replaceable
  • Deculus-eject
  • Glaser-replaceable
  • Mitchell-replaceable
  • Newman-replaceable
  • Tippman-KEEP
  • Turner-eject
  • Warren-KEEP
  • Exe-eject-who?
  • Gurman-replaceable
  • Brown-eject
  • Hanson-replaceable.
  • Schweitzer-replaceable
  • AVT-KEEP

Not that I'd harshly disagree with your list, but say most teams intend to roster 10 guys on the line (some may use 11, others might keep only 9). On the average team's 10-man depth chart, I don't think there are too many who are rostering fewer than 5 "replaceable" OLmen. Most of them have no less than 5 who are pretty replaceable. So if there are only 3-4 that are replaceable it likely means the line is crazy-elite plus so is the depth.

The glorious Jets-16 includes all the backups for the backups of the backups because they had so many OL injuries. Again. 

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, varjet said:

• Becton-replaceable
  • Deculus-eject
  • Glaser-replaceable
  • Mitchell-replaceable
  • Newman-replaceable
  • Tippman-KEEP
  • Turner-eject
  • Warren-KEEP
  • Exe-eject-who?
  • Gurman-replaceable
  • Brown-eject
  • Hanson-replaceable.
  • Schweitzer-replaceable
  • AVT-KEEP

I'm not sure where you get your rating system or your terminology.  Your analysis seems to ignore the contract situations. 

Mitchell isn't getting replaced unless he continues to suck.  Like Warren, he is cheap, on his rookie deal and will be in camp to compete.  AVT is still on his rookie deal and will presumably have the 5th year option picked up.  Becton is gone, unless you plan to pay him.  McGovern, Brown, and Turner are also unrestricted FAs.  I agree they should avoid having Turner or Brown back and McGovern would be fine to keep if he is cheap again. 

I am not sure what you have against Deculus. He was a 2022 draft pick of the Texans and actually has had a start for them at LT.  He isn't a guy you count on starting, but he is exactly the kind of cheap guy you have in to compete.  I guess right now he and Hanson are restricted FA (along with Yeboah, Anae and Javelin Guidry).  At a minimum he is an experienced guy who has had time in the system to carry on the practice squad, but maybe they let him walk or tender him at original round (6th).  Schweitzer is signed, fairly cheap, dead money to cut and versatile enough to start or back up along the interior line.  Generally, I agree with your "replaceable" language, but that doesn't mean that they are getting replaced.  It means they should be competing for jobs.

Basically they need two viable tackles.  It is possible that Warren is one, but like you, I would not want to count on that.  Not sure what to make of Tomlinson, but I agree a restructure would be nice.  At least he has been durable. If they cut him loose they are probably looking for a third new starter, though I could see signing McGovern back, or just letting Schweitzer start.  Sub-optimal for sure.  They also could kick AVT outside and do the same.  Guards are easier to find, but like most, I would prefer him at G.

FWIW, Obinna Exe is a guy with a basketball background that spent time with the Lions and Steelers.  Nigerian who didn't play football until he was like 17.  Super long.  Exactly the kind of developmental guy that needs time.  Extremely high upside with a floor of the floor. 

4 hours ago, bonkertons said:

Warren looked pretty damn good in his short stint at LT.  Part of why I'd prefer to go after a veteran stopgap is because I think Warren can develop into something there and I'd rather not block him.  A Smith/Brown/Bakhtiari at LT with Warren developing and Fuaga at RT would be a pretty good strategy IMO.  Throw in a LG in the 4th who you can groom behind Tomlinson, and if you draft the right guys your entire OL could be set for the long-term as early as 2025.

As far as the OP goes though, he's not really wrong.  Then again I don't really know why he's even bothering with this sh*t.  No good will ever come out of sending out "no I actually am good!" tweets.

Myself and Damien Woody agree.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

13 hours ago, AFJF said:

Myself and Damien Woody agree.

Carter Warren is the type of RT drafted in the 4th round who, if developed correctly, can have a long, productive career in the NFL.  He is part of the solution, not the problem.  

That is one of the reasons I not so fond of drafting Fuaga at 10, if he can't play LT.   It is actually possible that Warren is closer to playing LT than Fuaga.  

• Upvote 1

Not time to be doing overpriced bookends for this team, we need 2 OT's that can grow with the team for the next 5 years or so. If any FA comes cheaply, then take a look, otherwise stay away from the contracts, like Brown, and Tomlinson. 

• Upvote 1

As a general matter, and to prove otherwise requires a deep psychological dive that JD is incapable of doing, when you are 300+ pounds and make your living bashing heads and bodies with other guys who weigh 300+ pounds, your incentive to work and train hard goes down the tubes once you cash that second big check.  It is human nature.  Andrew Whitworth is a super impressive human.   I pity the team that pays Mekhi Becton another $10mm.  

22 hours ago, bitonti said:

In a few years I'm going to look back at the Jets OLine free agency moves from this era and not remember that George Fant, Morgan Moses, and Duane Brown were actually different guys.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, varjet said:

As a general matter, and to prove otherwise requires a deep psychological dive that JD is incapable of doing, when you are 300+ pounds and make your living bashing heads and bodies with other guys who weigh 300+ pounds, your incentive to work and train hard goes down the tubes once you cash that second big check.  It is human nature.  Andrew Whitworth is a super impressive human.   I pity the team that pays Mekhi Becton 

Yup. There are guys who want to dominate people, and there are guys that are happy having a job and the paycheck. 

Mekhi blew off rehab to play video games at home. The only time he puts out effort off the field is if there's a big paycheck involved. The moment he was drafted, he peaked as a person... as far as he was concerned it was mission accomplished. 

I have to admit .. I have not analyzed Warren's play ... But the reviews here are encouraging and pulling me out of the Gutter of Utter Despair ... prepping me for a fun Free Agency period and Draft night.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk