Saleh not expected to attend scouting combine ***UPDATE- may be attending now****

1 hour ago, Matt39 said:

You get to interview players. Jets are down two executives. Maybe he’s golfing instead. I don’t know. 

i mean anything is possible, but I think the golfing thing is just an easy way for fans to crap on the guy.  I dont love saleh as much as the next but for people to insinuate anyone with an nfl coaching job "doesnt care, and blatantly shirks duties" (how I sum up the sentiment) is a little silly to me.  

• Upvote 3

I honestly think the only advantage of being at the combine is seeing all the QB’s working out together in the same environment. You can measure arm strength, accuracy etc by watching them compete side by side. That is a big advantage to see. All the other stuff you can do at pro days and visits.

1 hour ago, Chrebetfan80 said:

i mean anything is possible, but I think the golfing thing is just an easy way for fans to crap on the guy.  I dont love saleh as much as the next but for people to insinuate anyone with an nfl coaching job "doesnt care, and blatantly shirks duties" (how I sum up the sentiment) is a little silly to me.  

Why? He went out and told us his goal was to golf a lot. Are we not supposed to take him at his word? For a young coach, it was strange. Plus not going to the combine, cancelling mini camp, short practices. What’s his commitment level? All we can take away is what we see and what he says. 

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

You’d think that a coach entering a do or die year would show some urgency to be involved in as many aspects of the team as he can get to, so skipping the offseason stuff, again, should raise an eyebrow. The Combine is generally stupid, but there’s value in getting face time with those players and other coaches alike. Holing up in New Jersey and passively hoping things turn around for the franchise is perpetual assistant coach behavior. 

It’s a I’m not uprooting my time off and hearing about it from my wife when I’m getting fired anyways type of move. 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 3

10 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

The bold is the thing. If the team won consistently, Saleh could take the whole offseason off and no one would care. Doing it when the team is not only bad on the field, but seems totally rudderless, is pretty galling.

But isn’t this for the good anyway?  I mean, he’s incapable of scouting offense, the owner came out and said we’re focusing on offense this offseason, so if saleh is there it probably hurts the team anyway even though it may send the right message.  What i want to hear after the combine is that the jets are rumored to want to trade back and also that they’re going after some legit backup qbs.   

fixating on Robert Saleh as the problem with the Jets is like looking at house full of mold, the roof is caved in, the windows are broken, the pipes are burst and saying "Gee I wish the driveway wasn't cracked." 

Most people seem to want him fired (and that day will come my friends) but he's not even in the top 10 of things wrong with the Jets franchise right now 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

Not seeing an issue here

it is a scouting combine hence your decision makers in the scouting dept need to be there

i would think following the combine and prior to pro days etc those scouts are meeting in fp with saleh, Douglas and others creating their list of targets they want to focus on

at least that seems logical

9 minutes ago, bitonti said:

fixating on Robert Saleh as the problem with the Jets is like looking at house full of mold, the roof is caved in, the windows are broken, the pipes are burst and saying "Gee I wish the driveway wasn't cracked." 

Most people seem to want him fired (and that day will come my friends) but he's not even in the top 10 of things wrong with the Jets franchise right now 

I sweep my driveway and the curb in front of my house.

I might be the guy you are referring  to😀

• Upvote 1

46 minutes ago, bitonti said:

Through 3 seasons, the data we have suggests that Saleh is a bad head coach (he has a chance to change that narrative this coming season). 

The head coach is somewhere between the 2nd and 4th most important person in any NFL organization (the most important is QB, the next 3 are owner, GM, and HC, in any order you like). 

Suffice it to say, If you have a bad head coach, you have a foundational problem. 

• Post of the Week 1

1 hour ago, slimjasi said:

Through 3 seasons, the data we have suggests that Saleh is a bad head coach (he has a chance to change that narrative this coming season). 

The head coach is somewhere between the 2nd and 4th most important person in any NFL organization (the most important is QB, the next 3 are owner, GM, and HC, in any order you like). 

Suffice it to say, If you have a bad head coach, you have a foundational problem. 

He's not a good head coach but he's in the bottom 5 of hc salary 

On defense alone he's over performing what they paid for him. And considering how garbage the drafts have been and the arod trade there's only so much we can blame on Saleh 

He's like Bowles a DC who can run a defense good enough to win the Super bowl or get you closer but needs to be bailed out on offense. We can say the same about belly 

• Upvote 1

• There are obviously things to do at the office, and other coaches who actually have winning records also do not go to the Combine.
  • But for a losing coach who looks like he spends too much time in the gym and plays too much golf, i can't imagine that attending the combine would not be a helpful thing.  They can get a sense of players' attitudes, etc.   Maybe you meet Mims, Becton or Elijah Moore and realize they are jerks.
  • I go to Conferences.  I camp out in my room and work.  I find time to meet people here and there.  Sometimes I go out.  Sometimes I have too much fun.  But if have to work, I work.  
  • Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, varjet said:
  • There are obviously things to do at the office, and other coaches who actually have winning records also do not go to the Combine.
  • But for a losing coach who looks like he spends too much time in the gym and plays too much golf, i can't imagine that attending the combine would not be a helpful thing.  They can get a sense of players' attitudes, etc.   Maybe you meet Mims, Becton or Elijah Moore are realize they are jerks.
  • I got to Conferences.  I camp out in my room and work.  I find time to meet people here and there.  Sometimes I go out.  Sometimes I ahve too much fun.  But if have to work, I work.  

This isn’t a trade show conference though either. It’s an interview. Do or die season and the Jets don’t appear to be making any adjustments to their offseason approach. For Saleh, sacrificing personal time for work isn’t fun, but this would be the year to do it you would think. 

6 hours ago, Matt39 said:

You get to interview players. Jets are down two executives. Maybe he’s golfing instead. I don’t know. 

That twice you used the golf line.  
You actually believe they’re using work time as “personal time” and not really working?  
Zach, now Saleh.  There’s a real constant with your posts

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

The only practical purpose of the combine is to get the medicals on players. Outside of that it's pretty useless 

Saleh can just get an email or however they do it on a players medical evals. 

Its marketed to the fans to create revenue

You would be better off actually scouting non power 5 schools or going to div 2 schools to actually find unknown talent 

38 minutes ago, bitonti said:

He's not a good head coach but he's in the bottom 5 of hc salary 

You always bring this up like this means anything. 

You think when the Rams hired rookie HC Sean McVay in 2017 that he was among the higher paid coaches in the league? That didn't stop him from going 11-5 in year 1 and making the SB in year 2. What about when the Eagles hired rookie HC Andy Reid in 1999? You think he was particularly expensive? No, because he hadn't proven anything yet. Those guys are highly paid NOW, after establishing themselves as worthy of big contracts. 

Saleh being relatively cheap doesn't absolve him. 

19 minutes ago, varjet said:
  • But for a losing coach who looks like he spends too much time in the gym and plays too much golf, i can't imagine that attending the combine would not be a helpful thing.  They can get a sense of players' attitudes, etc.   Maybe you meet Mims, Becton or Elijah Moore and realize they are jerks.
  • I go to Conferences.  I camp out in my room and work.  I find time to meet people here and there.  Sometimes I go out.  Sometimes I have too much fun.  But if have to work, I work.  

How much time do you guys think he spends golfing?  In the dead of winter?