AVT 5th year option decision

48 minutes ago, k-met57 said:

the jets will pick it up

sidenote, this is why Fields has very little value IMO

Not really. $25MM is cheap for a QB. I expect him to go for a similar package that Jets got for Darnold with a team that wants him as a high upside 2 year starter. 

It’s far less risky than doing what Giants did. 

• Upvote 4

How many underwhelming 1st rounders had their 5th year option picked up and then balled out?  

Decline it.  He will need to ball out if he wants to get a huge second contract.

The Patriots picked up the 5th year on Isiah Wynn.  He did enough to get through his 5th year without injury.

• Upvote 1

This really shouldn't be a decision.  We're in "win-now" mode.  Just like we're relying on Rodgers staying healthy for that to happen, we're also relying on AVT.  He'll get his option picked up.  Keep him at guard, stop ******* around with this dude.  Address the tackle spots and let AVT do what he was drafted to do....be an All-Pro guard.  

As far as 2025 goes, I don't see the issue with AVT's $15M.  Mosley and Tomlinson will both be off the books by then, and our 2022 class will still be on their rookie deals.  Lazard and JFM can also be cut candidates that year if necessary.  2026 is the year we need to worry about, cap-wise, and AVT's option won't affect that at all.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

1 minute ago, PFSIKH said:

How many underwhelming 1st rounders had their 5th year option picked up and then balled out?  

Decline it.  He will need to ball out if he wants to get a huge second contract.

The Patriots picked up the 5th year on Isiah Wynn.  He did enough to get through his 5th year without injury.

The difference is, AVT hasn't been underwhelming.  He's been hurt.  When on the field he is head and shoulders our best offensive lineman.  Don't mistake injury prone with "underwhelming".  If you want to say the injury risk is reason not to pick up the option, that's understandable.  His play though?  Yeah I don't agree with that.  

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 3

3 minutes ago, PFSIKH said:

Jets would be giving up all their leverage with him in that case. Plus all of you want to keep Breece Hall? Well you will need to hold the franchise tag spot for him so that wouldn’t be an option if AVT balls out. 

OL gets paid in free agency. Especially players with a first round pedigree. Don’t be shocked if even Becton gets a decent deal in open market. 

• Sympathy 1

3 minutes ago, bonkertons said:

The difference is, AVT hasn't been underwhelming.  He's been hurt.  When on the field he is head and shoulders our best offensive lineman.  Don't mistake injury prone with "underwhelming".  If you want to say the injury risk is reason not to pick up the option, that's understandable.  His play though?  Yeah I don't agree with that.  

The difference is that AVT plays a position that’s incredibly hard to fill. Even an average starter in any OL spot today $15MM isn’t outrageous. That’s how hard it is to find these guys. 

AVT should play the premium LG spot.

He should have his fifth year option exercised like Quinnen did.  That would require a big payment to him next year.  You would think that would be good for AVT, but he would prefer a longer contract with a larger bonus.

So unfortunately in this case the call is to exercise the option and cross our fingers,  If he works out we give him an extension that looks like a good contract for a G.   Cap hit should be reasonable in 2025 when we are dealing with AR8.

If it does not work out AVT is the Jets 2025 grossly overpaid player, because there is no way in 2025 Tomlinson and Mosley will be on the roster and overpaid.  They could be in 2024 though. 

• Upvote 1
  • More Ugh 1

6 minutes ago, varjet said:

AVT should play the premium LG spot.

He should have his fifth year option exercised like Quinnen did.  That would require a big payment to him next year.  You would think that would be good for AVT, but he would prefer a longer contract with a larger bonus.

So unfortunately in this case the call is to exercise the option and cross our fingers,  If he works out we give him an extension that looks like a good contract for a G.   Cap hit should be reasonable in 2025 when we are dealing with AR8.

If it does not work out AVT is the Jets 2025 grossly overpaid player, because there is no way in 2025 Tomlinson and Mosley will be on the roster and overpaid.  They could be in 2024 though. 

My strat would be to draft a RG like Zinter in the 4th, groom him for a year, then in 2025 AVT takes Tomlinson's spot at LG and Zinter steps in at RG.  You could even go with a center instead and bounce Tippmann out to RG.  But yeah I think Tomlinson is going to stick around for another year if I had to guess.  I don't think they're trying to fill 3 starting spots on the OL this offseason.

9 minutes ago, bonkertons said:

I stand corrected.  Maybe, I am thinking of Becton.

I will still stand by my point.  You are guaranteeing $20+ million (plus 2024 salary) to a guy that cannot stay healthy.  

Put the onus on him to ball out and earn a pay day.  If he does you can tag him in the hopes you work a long term deal.

• Upvote 2

17 minutes ago, fusionCA said:

Get rid of Tomlinson and play AVT at his best posting and what he was drafted for LG

If AVT was healthy and had a solid 2023, I would definitely do that.  they are not even saying he will be ready opening day. 

$15M for a RG who's miss significant time the pass two season is a long shot from being a slam dunk decision. Now as a RT it's certainly worth the gamble to roll the dice. The news today of the cap going up would lean me more towards picking up the option. But there should be some skepticism paying AVT the RG $15M instead of AVT the RT $15M.

1 hour ago, MostlyHarmless said:

Not really. $25MM is cheap for a QB. I expect him to go for a similar package that Jets got for Darnold with a team that wants him as a high upside 2 year starter. 

It’s far less risky than doing what Giants did. 

yeah here is the issue. the day you get him....he is going to be asking for a new deal. if you think he is playing for nothing this year, and an option next year, you have another thing coming.

so say u get him, and he has an OK year, i mean u have to know the odds of him being Lamar Jackson are very small. then what? you pay him 25mil to be a bridge QB? i don't see it.

1 hour ago, PFSIKH said:

First of all, AVT is not underwhelming.  Ability wise, he was a great pick.  It all comes down to his availability, and whether or not you want to take a chance on him not getting injured again.  I would pick it up, and take the risk.  He is worth it in my opinion.

• Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, Alka said:

First of all, AVT is not underwhelming.  Ability wise, he was a great pick.  It all comes down to his availability, and whether or not you want to take a chance on him not getting injured again.  I would pick it up, and take the risk.  He is worth it in my opinion.

Taking a G in the first half of the first round (let alone trading up to do so) was always an awful decision.  
The fact that the guy can’t stay healthy makes a bad decision even worse. 
Would be crazy to pick it up. 

• Upvote 3
  • Thumb Down 1

1 hour ago, Fantasy Island said:

AVT has sacrificed his career with this moving all over the line BS.  They owe him that option.  Move Tomlinson’s a$$ to RG.

RG ? How about off the team .... With the larger cap we can easily get a guard and a Tackle via FA along with a pretty good WR 2

• Upvote 2

Since AVT is such a good player you have you have to pick up the 5th year and hope that 2 freak Major injuries are not the norm. Personally I think AVT will be fine 
If you had used 'hope' instead of 'think'.... Id be with you. Love AVT ... But the best ability is avail'ability'. Especially on the OL.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

Some of the film currently being presented to media is AVT at right tackle and Tippmen at RG opening holes for the running game and protecting the QB. I would have originally kept him at LG which is where he was drafted and he would prob. be in his second year as a pro bowl guard.  The interesting thing is when it comes to long term contract negotiations similar to Defensive players do you pay him Tackle money or Guard money.

My hope is to put AVT back at LG and leave Tippman learning at Center.  News of the Jets interest in the Center from Titans coming over scares me that they are going to risk switching their positions.

The optics of trading up for a guard and then declining his fifth year option would be enough to make me fire that GM on the spot. Especially when the Vikings took Christian Darrisaw at the pick you traded out of. 
He's our best lineman. They will pick up his option of give him and bridge type extension.
  • Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

The optics of trading up for a guard and then declining his fifth year option would be enough to make me fire that GM on the spot. Especially when the Vikings took Christian Darrisaw at the pick you traded out of. 

Do you suggest throwing good money after bad because of optics?

Now, that's the way the Jets work - but it doesn't mean it's the proper decision.

• Upvote 3

Much as avt is a very good player how much worse would it be to not do the fifth year and see if he lasts this season.  They can always franchise him if they can’t meet his contract demands.  This is the tough part of injuries.  Even the best player is useless if he can’t get on the field.