Eagles to make aggressive push for Bryce Huff

51 minutes ago, 83Kelly2Allen18 said:

I do think McDonald will emerge in a big way but it still makes zero sense to at least not franchise Huff. 

I think McDonald is a skinny kid with a great get off. What percentage of snaps does he get 20-25% Total liability in the run. 

12 hours ago, SickJetFan said:

he is a UFA - Jets are not getting anything

It will be a disappointment if the Jets don’t get -at least- a fourth round comp pick in 2025. 

12 hours ago, SickJetFan said:

These same coaches who ask Michael Clemons and add 20+ lbs or whatever.  Michael Clemons had an awesome rookie season and was running down the field like a gunner and murdering people on STs.  So what do they do - tell him to go to McDonalds have some BigMacs and slow down.

I imagine the plan was to make JFM and his $13.3M non-guaranteed salary dispensable by developing Clemons -whose body can handle the pounds- into the next DE/DT hybrid. 

• Upvote 1

I imagine the plan was to make JFM and his $13.3M non-guaranteed salary dispensable by developing Clemons -whose body can handle the pounds- into the next DE/DT hybrid. 
JD would need to limit his FA explosion to second wave guys for that to happen.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

5 minutes ago, slats said:

It will be a disappointment if the Jets don’t get -at least- a fourth round comp pick in 2025. 

You are right there is potential for comp but if the Jets have to sign 2 Ts and at least 1 G in FA say goodbye to that comp

12 hours ago, Beerfish said:

The plan all along was to let him walk because he was a part time 3-4 sack guy, thus they convince themselves they should draft mcdonald.

Then they were caught off guard by a part time 10 sack player and were stuck.  If Huff had 3-4 sacks last year there would not be as much angst.

As has been stated, the time to extend him was the year before and be able to project a players development and upswing.

Consider that he would have had even more sacks had the Jets been in the lead more than they were last season. They generally were playing from behind even in the games they eventually won.

10 minutes ago, Dunnie said:

JD would need to limit his FA explosion to second wave guys for that to happen.

9 minutes ago, SickJetFan said:

You are right there is potential for comp but if the Jets have to sign 2 Ts and at least 1 G in FA say goodbye to that comp

The team does not have a ton of cap room, they can only be so aggressive this year. They will need to make moves but those moves will also include letting a number of free agents sign with other teams. They have a number of guys under 30 who won’t be back. If Huff signs elsewhere for a contract that would net a 3rd or 4th round pick, it’s up to JD to make sure his signings don’t offset his losses. Signing players cut by other teams being a solid workaround. 

1 minute ago, slats said:

The team does not have a ton of cap room, they can only be so aggressive this year. They will need to make moves but those moves will also include letting a number of free agents sign with other teams. They have a number of guys under 30 who won’t be back. If Huff signs elsewhere for a contract that would net a 3rd or 4th round pick, it’s up to JD to make sure his signings don’t offset it. Signing players cut by other teams being a solid workaround. 

The Jets have left themselves no choice here but to spend - they only have 2 back up Ts signed right now, 1 of which looked really bad last season in Max and it's not just OL issues as they will need to sign WR, S, Kickers, DL, and back up QB.  They will need to find money and I bet they will with restructure here and there.

1 minute ago, SickJetFan said:

The Jets have left themselves no choice here but to spend - they only have 2 back up Ts signed right now, 1 of which looked really bad last season in Max and it's not just OL issues as they will need to sign WR, S, Kickers, DL, and back up QB.  They will need to find money and I bet they will with restructure here and there.

I don’t disagree. I just think it’s entirely possible for him to work it out so that he still loses more FAs than he signs - and that that should be his goal. 

1 minute ago, slats said:

I don’t disagree. I just think it’s entirely possible for him to work it out so that he still loses more FAs than he signs - and that that should be his goal. 

Yeah maybe the but positions they need happen to be the priciest positions to need and that comp pick formula boils down to $ not number of.

• Upvote 1

A lot depends on what happens elsewhere - the formula takes into account both quantity and value of free agents. We can sign as many as we lose but still get a comp pick based on the values.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, SickJetFan said:

Yeah maybe the but positions they need happen to be the priciest positions to need and that comp pick formula boils down to $ not number of.

Messing up the Huff situation is as brutal as it can get. 

Just now, Matt39 said:

JD did the same thing with Mims - he could have traded him before that last season as there was reported interest but JD held out and got nothing

• Upvote 1

Just now, SickJetFan said:

JD did the same thing with Mims - he could have traded him before that last season as there was reported interest but JD held out and got nothing

It seems like he’s either in over his head or just not doing his job/lazy. Or everything has to go through Woody which slows all it down. Probably a combo of all 3. 

I wouldn’t expect much in FA. This isn’t a great destination. We’ll sign a guard, AVT will play tackle and the first pick will be a tackle. Maybe sign a low end backup QB and Tyler Boyd.

Just now, Matt39 said:

It seems like he’s either in over his head or just not doing his job/lazy. Or everything has to go through Woody which slows all it down. Probably a combo of all 3. 

I wouldn’t expect much in FA. This isn’t a great destination. We’ll sign a guard, AVT will play tackle and the first pick will be a tackle. Maybe sign a low end backup QB and Tyler Boyd.

AVT may not even play in pre-season

20 hours ago, Jets Voice of Reason said:

They simultaneously stood pat the deadline and didn’t attempt to bring in a viable qb option, effectively punting on the season and held onto an expiring Huff where it doesn’t make sense to tag him. All this in a do or die offseason where they presumably will be active in FA in some fashion. Just gross mismanagement. 

Also, I can’t help but believe that the presence of McDonald contributes. Using that pick on defense makes it harder to retain Huff, puts pressure on them to address offense this year since they declined to improve that early in last year’s draft, and puts pressure on McDonald to replace a really good player. Could all work out but I don’t think that pick contributed positively to the management of the situation.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, slats said:

I was thinking the same thing. That extra $30mil in team’s Cap space should help him grab a nice bag. The only problem is JD will be shopping hard for FA OL & WR.
The next GM will be glad for whatever he receives!

3 hours ago, SomebodytoAnybody47 said:

Don’t even care. Just score points for once in my lifetime. 

Great idea. Ohhhh we lose 48-47, 39-38, 45-37, 51-49, etc etc etc End up 4-13 and once again out of reach of an elite Q and OT in the draft. Goooo Jets  

On 3/9/2024 at 12:14 PM, The Crusher said:

Abraham to Falcons. Farrior to the Steelers Huff to the Eagles. Jets, a tradition of not knowing what they have. Never, ever,ever,eever learn. Eagles win the NFC championship game on a Bryce Huff strip and score. Jets season over by Thanksgiving this season. . Book it!

Don’t forget Hugh Douglas to the Eagles as well…

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Maynard13 said:

Great idea. Ohhhh we lose 48-47, 39-38, 45-37, 51-49, etc etc etc End up 4-13 and once again out of reach of an elite Q and OT in the draft. Goooo Jets  

Relax. The defense isn’t taking a total nosedive because of fn Bryce Huff. 

If you’re saying we can average 40 points a game then sign me the fukkkkkk up!

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Matt39 said:

Saw a PFF ranking of top FAs.  Huff was #11.   Are the teams who had players 1-10 also incompetent.  It’s okay to lose a player at a position of strength.   It means you’ve done a good job drafting end developing.   The Steelers kept losing guys like Kevin Greene and Greg Lloyd and restocking with younger talent.  What’s the problem here?  Do we honestly think pass rushing is going to be our biggest issue this coming season?   Let Huff walk and hopefully we get a 3rd round comp pick next year.   Replace him with McDonald, he was clearly drafted with that in mind.  Spend the money saved on some offensive line and WR group, seems pretty clear to me at least.  

• Upvote 1

Huff is a proven closer. He closes games out by getting to the QB, sealing the W. There aren’t many guys like this. Jermaine is not that guy. Even though he is solid, he is not as consistent as Huff. You don’t let a Huff walk and then resign a Jermaine Johnson to a long term deal 2 years from now. Don’t f this up you snoring Neanderthal.

• Haha 2

On 3/9/2024 at 12:32 PM, JetsMan57 said:

It took the Jets about 15 years to replace John Abraham (a joke in itself) and once we do, a home grown undrafted free agent no less (when does that ever happen to this franchise) we are just going to let him walk.

This is why the Jets stay the Jets

I love Bryce Huff.

Bryce Huff is not John Abraham.  

Not even close 

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, SickJetFan said:

Except you guys have no idea if there really was interest im Mims.