Eagles to make aggressive push for Bryce Huff

1 hour ago, Matt39 said:

Because the people who run the football team are half asleep and don’t care?

Totally agree. Bad leadership for sure but that’s always been the case unfortunately..

5 minutes ago, Barton said:

Jets can do both.

There's no excuse for letting Huff go. 

We can’t even do one thing right. You expect two?

Anyway, let the defensive masterminds of Saleh and Ulrich figure out how to live without Huff. Rodgers can’t throw the ball when he’s in a horizontal position.

We need to buy O-linemen.

1 hour ago, BurntDice said:

Personally I just don’t understand why he was t tagged. Get something for him at least 

The tag is a cap killer. You’d have to kiss the offensive upgrades away. It was a new contract or nothing.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Greensleeves said:

It would not shock me if McDonald ends up a better player than Huff. JJ is definitely a more valuable player. We'll see how Huff plays on a line minus Q. A lot of sacks these edge guys get is initially caused by Q beating his man. I wouldn't sleep on McDonald - his speed and bend is excellent. There is a reason why one went in the first round (measurables) and one was undrafted. Huff is a great situational guy - McDonald can be more.

McDonald ran 4.7, the kid they got from Georgia pushing the 30 year old Reddick

blazed 4.39

Maybe Huff would have wanted to be here if JD didn't draft his replacement last year.

As others have said, that ship has sailed ... and it would have been a much cheaper fare.

It's pathetic that the Jets cannot self scout .. failing to recognize early what they had in Huff.  Even before signing Jacob Martin, if you remember his 6 or so game Jets career.  

What could have been:  The Jets could have drafted one of the multiple 2023 first round WRs who hit the ground running, bought low extending Huff last year at $6-8M per year and used Carl Lawson's 2023 salary on something of real value (instead locking him in for the season and pushing dead money into 2024 BEFORE drafting another Edge).  Compounded by the fact they already thought they had a real #2 in Corey Davis, failing to see, listen, read, sniff, or sense his 'apparently not that big of a surprise retirement'.  Further compounded by the fact that first round WRs have a much much better recent track record of success than first round Edge.  Further further compounded by the fact that first year WRs have the highest recent track record of contributing in the first year ... a year the Jets picked up Rodgers to make a deep playoff run. 

What is:  Instead they enter 2024 with a question mark in Will McDonald (who they only gave 20% of the snaps) AND a huge hole at WR #2.  Yes they save the $6-8M hypothetical long term Huff extension that might have been feasible in 2023 (before he blew up with double digit sacks) but that's completely wiped out when considering Carl Lawson's roughly equivalent 2024 dead cap hit.

SHAME, SHAME, SHAME!!!!  JD and Saleh are both culpable and lucky to have jobs.  Complete amateur job when the board consensus would likely have had us in the blue category above.

• Upvote 2

32 minutes ago, hmhertz said:

McDonald ran 4.7, the kid they got from Georgia pushing the 30 year old Reddick

blazed 4.39

Whatever he does or doesn't become, it won't be because McDonald lacks speed. That's just ridiculous.

Insinuating he lacks requisite speed based on a 40-yard combine time that he ran after still having residual effects of the flu? Lmao.

These ends aren't asked to go stride for stride with Tyreek Hill for 40 yards. BTW Huff's 2-run average was 4.67 at his own combine, and he's only put on weight since then. What makes him a dangerous rusher is how fast he is off the snap, not how fast he runs a 40 in a straight line on an indoor track in gym shorts. 

At far more of a 40 yard straight-line running position, Pakua ran a 4.57 at the combine. John Ross ran a 4.22 at his. BFD. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

21 minutes ago, OtherwiseHappyinLife said:

Maybe Huff would have wanted to be here if JD didn't draft his replacement last year.

As others have said, that ship has sailed ... and it would have been a much cheaper fare.

It's pathetic that the Jets cannot self scout .. failing to recognize early what they had in Huff.  Even before signing Jacob Martin, if you remember his 6 or so game Jets career.  

What could have been:  The Jets could have drafted one of the multiple 2023 first round WRs who hit the ground running, bought low extending Huff last year at $6-8M per year and used Carl Lawson's 2023 salary on something of real value (instead locking him in for the season and pushing dead money into 2024 BEFORE drafting another Edge).  Compounded by the fact they already thought they had a real #2 in Corey Davis, failing to see, listen, read, sniff, or sense his 'apparently not that big of a surprise retirement'.  Further compounded by the fact that first round WRs have a much much better recent track record of success than first round Edge.  Further further compounded by the fact that first year WRs have the highest recent track record of contributing in the first year ... a year the Jets picked up Rodgers to make a deep playoff run. 

What is:  Instead they enter 2024 with a question mark in Will McDonald (who they only gave 20% of the snaps) AND a huge hole at WR #2.  Yes they save the $6-8M hypothetical long term Huff extension that might have been feasible in 2023 (before he blew up with double digit sacks) but that's completely wiped out when considering Carl Lawson's roughly equivalent 2024 dead cap hit.

SHAME, SHAME, SHAME!!!!  JD and Saleh are both culpable and lucky to have jobs.  Complete amateur job when the board consensus would likely have had us in the blue category above.

I'll save the supposed tragedy of drafting McDonald until after he sees the field more. It may be a blunder, it may not, but after edge rusher is as premium a position as there is in the game. If he's the real deal it was a great pick. It should be derided if he sucks not because they gambled on another season of Corey Davis, who'd built up something of an annual injury history anyway and whose $$$ for the year wasn't guaranteed. 

Interesting someone else thinks that was the sweet spot range of a Huff extension as what I'd posted above. I wasn't aware it was leaked that the team absolutely knew Davis was contemplating retirement going back to the entirety of 2023 free agency and the draft, though.

24 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

I'll save the supposed tragedy of drafting McDonald until after he sees the field more. It may be a blunder, it may not, but after edge rusher is as premium a position as there is in the game. If he's the real deal it was a great pick. It should be derided if he sucks not because they gambled on another season of Corey Davis, who'd built up something of an annual injury history anyway and whose $$$ for the year wasn't guaranteed. 

Interesting someone else thinks that was the sweet spot range of a Huff extension as what I'd posted above. I wasn't aware it was leaked that the team absolutely knew Davis was contemplating retirement going back to the entirety of 2023 free agency and the draft, though.

Agreed.  I have high hopes for McDonald.  My point was more that the Jets already had a bird in the hand ... if that's the right phrase :).  I'm awful at phrases.  They should have kept the bird in hand and invested in a cheetah on the outside (WR).

Yeah, I do recall reading after the fact that there were some signs that Davis had been contemplating retirement.  If I have some time, I'll see if I can find the article because I don't like throwing crap out just to support an opinion.  

In any event, enjoy reading your thoughts.  Same with  @slats, and others..  Post more :).  

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Crimer said:

We get nothing?  I thought we get a 3rd rounder as compensation?  Need to spend every penny on offense!

depending on details of his signing and any free agents we sign we could potentially get a compensatory pick in next year's draft that can be as high as the end of the 3rd round

5 hours ago, Warfish said:

Guess he thinks McDonald is good enough, eh?

People hoping to keep huff don't seem to factor this in. It just doesn't make sense to resign huff when the last 2 drafts put two first round DE's on the roster. I'll be a huff fan, hope he makes us regret letting him walk, but unfortunatly, the timing just doesn't work out with what this team needs and the draft selections that have been made.

7 hours ago, Mogglez said:

Fangio runs a base 3-4.

Not sure I love that for Huff but the kid should go get his bag regardless.  It was wildly stupid not to sign him last off-season.

He did not want to be signed  last year ...he made it clear over and over he wanted to test the market the Jets said fine ..... Nothing has happened yet and not one of us know if the Jets will match and keep him. Just let this play out . You can't have crystal balls and know if or when a player is going to break out, thats why they call them BREAK OUT YEARS .  If someone offers him a ridiculous amount of cash then good for him ... I think he's worth about 15 mil per tops 18 (and thats a stretch) if teams offer him over 20 then the Jets will be hard pressed to match and rightfully so.

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, The Crusher said:

Abraham to Falcons. Farrior to the Steelers Huff to the Eagles. Jets, a tradition of not knowing what they have. Never, ever,ever,eever learn. Eagles win the NFC championship game on a Bryce Huff strip and score. Jets season over by Thanksgiving this season. . Book it!

Don't forget Hugh Douglas

• Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, Smashmouth said:

He did not want to be signed  last year ...he made it clear over and over he wanted to test the market the Jets said fine ..... Nothing has happened yet and not one of us know if the Jets will match and keep him. Just let this play out . You can't have crystal balls and know if or when a player is going to break out, thats why they call them BREAK OUT YEARS .  If someone offers him a ridiculous amount of cash then good for him ... I think he's worth about 15 mil per tops 18 (and thats a stretch) if teams offer him over 20 then the Jets will be hard pressed to match and rightfully so.

They also had the option of not wasting pick on a 225lb EDGE and tagging Huff to work out a long term contract.

• Post of the Week 1

52 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

They also had the option of not wasting pick on a 225lb EDGE and tagging Huff to work out a long term contract.

I didn't mind the gamble on the McDonald call. Avoiding having to pay Huff and drafting a higher upside guy on a rookie deal made enough sense. The problem is in hindsight last year had a solid crop of edge available in the 2nd through 4th rounds and it's literally Douglas' job to know that.

• Upvote 1

The plan all along was to let him walk because he was a part time 3-4 sack guy, thus they convince themselves they should draft mcdonald.

Then they were caught off guard by a part time 10 sack player and were stuck.  If Huff had 3-4 sacks last year there would not be as much angst.

As has been stated, the time to extend him was the year before and be able to project a players development and upswing.

• Upvote 2

8 hours ago, Mogglez said:

Fangio runs a base 3-4.

Not sure I love that for Huff but the kid should go get his bag regardless.  It was wildly stupid not to sign him last off-season.

Why didn’t they put a tag or tender on him?

2 minutes ago, Lupz27 said:

Why didn’t they put a tag or tender on him?

Money likely. Could be a Woody call. Don’t see why Douglas wouldn’t just tag him in what’s presumably a must win season 

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, The Crusher said:

Abraham to Falcons. Farrior to the Steelers Huff to the Eagles. Jets, a tradition of not knowing what they have. Never, ever,ever,eever learn. Eagles win the NFC championship game on a Bryce Huff strip and score. Jets season over by Thanksgiving this season. . Book it!

This

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Money likely. Could be a Woody call. Don’t see why Douglas wouldn’t just tag him in what’s presumably a must win season 

Coaches and front office didn’t believe he’d ever ascend like this.  Some still believe that he’s not an every down player.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Mogglez said:

Coaches and front office didn’t believe he’d ever ascend like this.  Some still believe that he’s not an every down player.

On a one year tag it wouldn’t really matter. They have to win next season- why not have him back and if he gets outplayed by McDonald then  let him walk next year 

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Well, there's QB and then there's everything else.  But for the "everything else", edge is right up there.

5 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Whatever he does or doesn't become, it won't be because McDonald lacks speed. That's just ridiculous.

Insinuating he lacks requisite speed based on a 40-yard combine time that he ran after still having residual effects of the flu? Lmao.

These ends aren't asked to go stride for stride with Tyreek Hill for 40 yards. BTW Huff's 2-run average was 4.67 at his own combine, and he's only put on weight since then. What makes him a dangerous rusher is how fast he is off the snap, not how fast he runs a 40 in a straight line on an indoor track in gym shorts. 

At far more of a 40 yard straight-line running position, Pakua ran a 4.57 at the combine. John Ross ran a 4.22 at his. BFD. 

104 degree temperature?!  That's incredibly dangerous.  Your enzymes can melt.

1 minute ago, Mogglez said:

These same coaches who ask Michael Clemons and add 20+ lbs or whatever.  Michael Clemons had an awesome rookie season and was running down the field like a gunner and murdering people on STs.  So what do they do - tell him to go to McDonalds have some BigMacs and slow down.

9 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Glad we hung on to him solely because Rodgers snowed Saleh into believing he was coming back in mid-December. Probably could have gotten a 2+ for him at the deadline.

We don't need it though.  We got Mr. Irrelevant and his next door neighbor. 

Watch us hold on to DJ Reed (until losing him next offseason), when we might've been able to get a 2+ for him  as well.

Huff would be nice but at this point in time there is no world where he is more important than oline and WR.

If we are looking at Huff at 16 million or 8 million a piece for an olienman and WR the decision is easy.

We need to blow our cap space on multiple oline and #2 WR.

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, Mogglez said:

Hey Im with you there I did not think the McDonald pick was good in any way shape or form. But keep in mind this defense runs on subs and rest for the DL . Still does not make it right because if they were willing to go that far for the DL why not the OL ? :)