Eagles to make aggressive push for Bryce Huff

15 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Glad we hung on to him solely because Rodgers snowed Saleh into believing he was coming back in mid-December. Probably could have gotten a 2+ for him at the deadline.

Jetsy!

#SOJ

• Haha 4

Yes, the Jets should’ve traded him last season before the deadline. That was a mistake. 

No, we should not be whining about the Jets not resigning him this year. 

The Jets only have so many resources, and need major repairs to the offense. The team currently has about $26M in cap room, and Huff could easily command north of $20M himself. Don’t believe in McDonald? Fine, but we saw Jermaine Johnson make a nice jump from year one to two under this staff. I wouldn’t call it impossible. There’s also plenty of other guys in the rotation. For all the love Hall gets -and I love the guy, too!- it’s not a good idea for the team to even try to retain him. 

• Upvote 3
  • Thumb Down 3
  • Sympathy 1

Can’t understand why they don’t just keep him? Not worried about snaps or nit picky comment about him in the run game. Rushing the quarterback is one of the single most important things to have and we have a homegrown one we’re going to just let leave.

I don't know. Seems we have too many young pass rushers. Even the good ones rarely see 30% of the snaps. Plus we just drafted another one. If anything, we could use more D-tackles to play alongside Q.

losing him won't suck, but losing him for nothing does suck. Way to go Joe.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

5 minutes ago, Gibby said:

Can’t understand why they don’t just keep him? Not worried about snaps or nit picky comment about him in the run game. Rushing the quarterback is one of the single most important things to have and we have a homegrown one we’re going to just let leave.

Because the people who run the football team are half asleep and don’t care?

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

Abraham to Falcons. Farrior to the Steelers Huff to the Eagles. Jets, a tradition of not knowing what they have. Never, ever,ever,eever learn. Eagles win the NFC championship game on a Bryce Huff strip and score. Jets season over by Thanksgiving this season. . Book it!

Traded Hugh Douglas to Philly once upon a time as well. 

• Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

It took the Jets about 15 years to replace John Abraham (a joke in itself) and once we do, a home grown undrafted free agent no less (when does that ever happen to this franchise) we are just going to let him walk.

This is why the Jets stay the Jets

• Upvote 3

It would not shock me if McDonald ends up a better player than Huff. JJ is definitely a more valuable player. We'll see how Huff plays on a line minus Q. A lot of sacks these edge guys get is initially caused by Q beating his man. I wouldn't sleep on McDonald - his speed and bend is excellent. There is a reason why one went in the first round (measurables) and one was undrafted. Huff is a great situational guy - McDonald can be more.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

I don’t know. JD cut pretty good deals with Quincy and DJ. We talk about him on this forum like he is a complete idiot. He’s not. It also takes 2 to tango and there are 31 other teams out there also trying to get better. 

• Upvote 1

Huff doesn’t want to be here. I’m not mad about this at all. Can you imagine not having money to rebuild the line , get a quality veteran backup QB because you gave a guy that can’t set the edge on first down a huge deal when you have JJ and McDonald on the roster?

• Upvote 4

17 minutes ago, Greensleeves said:

It would not shock me if McDonald ends up a better player than Huff. JJ is definitely a more valuable player. We'll see how Huff plays on a line minus Q. A lot of sacks these edge guys get is initially caused by Q beating his man. I wouldn't sleep on McDonald - his speed and bend is excellent. There is a reason why one went in the first round (measurables) and one was undrafted. Huff is a great situational guy - McDonald can be more.

Jalen Carter is a very good player. 

42 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

Abraham to Falcons. Farrior to the Steelers Huff to the Eagles. Jets, a tradition of not knowing what they have. Never, ever,ever,eever learn. Eagles win the NFC championship game on a Bryce Huff strip and score. Jets season over by Thanksgiving this season. . Book it!

And lost Demario Davis not once but twice..... 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

You get the idea the coaching staff and FO never truly valued Huff. Remember, he was inactive for the first 3-4 games of the 2022 season. It wasnt only until they activated him and played him the pass rush and the defense as a whole took off.

Then they ridiculously had him playing deep into the 4th quarter of the HOF game last summer. You figured they were showcasing him for a trade, but they werent.

Will McDonald may break out this year, but losing Huff still effects Saleh and Ulbrich's system of rotating Dlinemen.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, derp said:

Huff’s one of the most efficient players in the league at rushing the passer, which is one of the most important skill sets in the NFL. I’d love to be wrong but I don’t think losing him for nothing will be something we look back at fondly.

He’s the kind of player a good coaching staff finds a way to maximize and a good franchise finds a way to hold on to.

Still think they should have hung on to him. If they knew they weren’t going to then they should’ve traded him at the deadline. I was against it at the time but because I thought they should keep him, not because I wanted him for the second half of a lost season.

Might have made draft position worse too if he helped contribute to winning any of those stretch games. Just a tremendously poorly handled situation all around.

They simultaneously stood pat the deadline and didn’t attempt to bring in a viable qb option, effectively punting on the season and held onto an expiring Huff where it doesn’t make sense to tag him. All this in a do or die offseason where they presumably will be active in FA in some fashion. Just gross mismanagement. 

• Upvote 1