Greg Cosell on 2024 WR Draft Prospects

18 minutes ago, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

Interesting Notes:

-- MHJ his clear #1 guy.  Wins at all 3 levels.  High-level understanding of the game, knows how to set up corners, excellent route runner.  Catches everything.  One of the best WR prospects in a long time.

-- Nabers a "high high" level prospect.  Maybe relies too much on his physical talent to beat corners in college, needs to refine his technique on a couple things, but the tools are all there.  Says an evaluator he respects a lot has Nabers as the #1 overall prospect in the entire draft.  The way Nabers runs after the catch reminds him a bit of Deebo Samuel.

-- Odunze a terrific contested catch guy.  So RT asks follow-up:  why is he having to make so many contested catches?  Does it mean he can't separate as much?  Cosell mentions Drake London pre-draft concerns and says his sense is Odunze can separate "enough" at the pro level to be successful.

-- Really likes Bryan Thomas Jr., sees him as an "ascending talent"

-- On the fence on Keon Coleman.  Says he dropped a lot of passes in contested coverage, which is something he'll need to fix to be successful in pros, because of his size (6'4") and lack of separation ability.

-- Loves Adonai Mitchell from Texas.  With proper development, wouldn't be surprised if he turns out to be a "top-10 or top-12 WR in the league"

-- Ladd McConkey reminds him of Cooper Kupp coming out of WSU.  Beats all kinds of SEC coverage, always open, looks like plays fast regardless of what his 40 time turns out to be (ran a 4.43 and 4.39 unofficial at Georgia pro day).

someone needs to explain the Ladd McConkey kid to me. i know he came on late in the season for a few games...but if he was a real good prospect, wouldn't he have high level college production?

Just now, k-met57 said:

someone needs to explain the Ladd McConkey kid to me. i know he came on late in the season for a few games...but if he was a real good prospect, wouldn't he have high level college production?

He played in the same offense as Bowers.

And if Bowers is remotely open, throw it to him.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, k-met57 said:

Think he stepped up when Bowers went down. 

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, k-met57 said:

11 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

He played in the same offense as Bowers.

And if Bowers is remotely open, throw it to him.

Add to this Georgia is a very run heavy offense. Over the last three years they have run on 59% of plays.

• Upvote 2

11 hours ago, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

Interesting Notes:

-- MHJ his clear #1 guy.  Wins at all 3 levels.  High-level understanding of the game, knows how to set up corners, excellent route runner.  Catches everything.  One of the best WR prospects in a long time.

-- Nabers a "high high" level prospect.  Maybe relies too much on his physical talent to beat corners in college, needs to refine his technique on a couple things, but the tools are all there.  Says an evaluator he respects a lot has Nabers as the #1 overall prospect in the entire draft.  The way Nabers runs after the catch reminds him a bit of Deebo Samuel.

-- Odunze a terrific contested catch guy.  So RT asks follow-up:  why is he having to make so many contested catches?  Does it mean he can't separate as much?  Cosell mentions Drake London pre-draft concerns and says his sense is Odunze can separate "enough" at the pro level to be successful.

-- On the fence on Keon Coleman.  Says he dropped a lot of passes in contested coverage, which is something he'll need to fix to be successful in pros, because of his size (6'4") and lack of separation ability.

-- Loves Adonai Mitchell from Texas.  With proper development, wouldn't be surprised if he turns out to be a "top-10 or top-12 WR in the league"

-- Ladd McConkey reminds him of Cooper Kupp coming out of WSU.  Beats all kinds of SEC coverage, always open, looks like plays fast regardless of what his 40 time turns out to be (ran a 4.43 and 4.39 unofficial at Georgia pro day).

Cosell have anything on Xavier Worthy? 

39 minutes ago, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

Interesting Notes:

Sounds like far from being on the fence on Coleman, more like take at your own peril. Also, not a ringing endorsement of Odunze.

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, Lurker89 said:

Add to this Georgia is a very run heavy offense. Over the last three years they have run on 59% of plays.

This is also the reason I'm a fan of Roman Wilson... he killed it at the senior bowl and Michigan ran it 61% of the time in 2023

924 plays on the season 563 of them were run plays.

• Upvote 2

48 minutes ago, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

Interesting Notes:

cant say i disagree a ton with any of this.  I dont "Love" Mitchel from texas, but from what ive seen of him in things outside of his game film theres definitely more than meets the eye in terms of his ability to run routes.  He has tools just needs to go to a good spot. 

16 minutes ago, section314 said:

Sounds like far from being on the fence on Coleman, more like take at your own peril. Also, not a ringing endorsement of Odunze.

I'm 100% out on Coleman poor production and if you can't separate in college you won't separate in the pros... 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, k-met57 said:

Not at Georgia necessarily. Too many weapons 

1 hour ago, k-met57 said:

Only played eight games this year due to injury.

• Upvote 1

No idea how good he really is, but he definitely resembles Kupp at least in the way he moves and runs after the catch.

It's so distinct it almost looks like he intentionally tried to emulate Kupp's style.

McConkey is a bit smaller at 6-0, 185 compared to 6-2, 208 Kupp.

1 hour ago, section314 said:

Yeah, lukewarm at best on Coleman.  "On the fence" were Cosell's own words to describe his sentiments.

• Upvote 1

53 minutes ago, 83Kelly2Allen18 said:

Not at Georgia necessarily. Too many weapons 

Wonder what McVay thinks of McConkey.

Unlike the last 10 years of whatever, the Rams actually own picks on days 1 and 2 this year.

They're up at #19, #52, and #83, plus a 3rd round comp at #99.

2 hours ago, Chrebetfan80 said:

I dont "Love" Mitchel from texas, but from what ive seen of him in things outside of his game film theres definitely more than meets the eye in terms of his ability to run routes.  He has tools just needs to go to a good spot. 

Seems like an outstanding prospect.

Has elite speed to go with nice twitch and nuance to his route running, especially for a guy his size. 

9.97 RAS and we know Douglas loves athletic freaks.

There is tape of him beating Kool-Aid Mckinstry.

1 hour ago, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

Wonder what McVay thinks of McConkey.

Unlike the last 10 years of whatever, the Rams actually own picks on days 1 and 2 this year.

They're up at #19, #52, and #83, plus a 3rd round comp at #99.

I know wherever he goes hes going to catch 80-100 balls and be really productive. I guess the overall question is if he's not a wr one archetype is he actually worth a first. 

49 minutes ago, 83Kelly2Allen18 said:

I know wherever he goes he going to catch 80-100 balls and be really productive. I guess the overall question is if he's not a wr one archetype is he actually worth a first. 

I'd be shocked if he went in round 1.

Rd 1 WRs typically have at least 1 year of legit elite production or some kind of "trump card" (e.g. Ruggs and his 40 time) trait.

Kupp had off-the-charts monster production throughout his college career, even as a true freshman, and he lasted to round 3.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, k-met57 said:

@Lith is your go-to guy on this.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, k-met57 said:

My biggest issue with Ladd was he struggled to get and stay on the field with injuries this season -- back and ankle injuries plagued him all year. 

The kid knows how to get open.  Great route runner.  Great hands.  Great speed and elite quickness.  Even when healthy he never had a high volume of targets because we spread the ball around so much, but our offense was much better when Ladd was on the field than when he wasn't.  Problem is he was not on the field enough.  Even when he did not miss games, he was often limited and had to be nursed through games on limited snaps.

I still think we beat Bama in the SEC Championship had Ladd been healthy -- at least thats my story and I am sticking to it.

• Upvote 1

I wonder if some team would take a guy like McConkey or Pearsall in the 1st.  I could see either of them, especially Pearsall, just becoming a chain moving machine at the next level.  Such a valuable type of weapon to have.  If we dropped all the way down to like the 20 range I honestly wouldn't be mad if we just snatched one of these guys up.

Bryan Thomas will be this year’s Will McDonald IV.  maybe by the same team.  

Thomas will rise up the board and be picked earlier than projected.  I think given his size he could help the Jets in 2024.  

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

Has elite speed to go with nice twitch and nuance to his route running, especially for a guy his size. 

His combine workout was fantastic

16 hours ago, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

no doubt athletically he checks all the boxes.  His game tape didnt excite me too much initially but ive seen some other cuts of him training and he shows way more route nuance and route ability than he got to show at texas.  

• Upvote 2

I still like Florida States Johnny Wilson, 6'6", 231, RAS I believe of 9.8+

He's not the kind of WR who will make 98 yard bombs, but he could be (at the pro level) a very tall, very surehanded possession receiver, moving the chains, able to win contested catches, reliable, creating mismatches, a QB's best friend of 3rd downs.

Currently looks like he could be a 4th rounder, so not a huge investment, and not an answer as a true #2 next to our own Wilson, but definitely a weapon worth having.

Pair that with one of the top guys at #10, and we might be on to something at WR.  Still wish we'd picked JSN last year over the edge prospect personally.

• Post of the Week 1

3 hours ago, Warfish said:

I still like Florida States Johnny Wilson, 6'6", 231, RAS I believe of 9.8+

He's not the kind of WR who will make 98 yard bombs, but he could be (at the pro level) a very tall, very surehanded possession receiver, moving the chains, able to win contested catches, reliable, creating mismatches, a QB's best friend of 3rd downs.

Currently looks like he could be a 4th rounder, so not a huge investment, and not an answer as a true #2 next to our own Wilson, but definitely a weapon worth having.

Pair that with one of the top guys at #10, and we might be on to something at WR.  Still wish we'd picked JSN last year over the edge prospect personally.

Very intrigued by the idea of Johnny Wilson in that range.

He's actually listed at 6'7" and looks even bigger.  An absolute behemoth.

• Upvote 1