JetNation 2024 Mock Draft - Discussion

2 hours ago, Paradis said:

Catching up on some picks—

JJ still finds his way to the Vikings, Nelios with a nice snag of QM, and bowers to Miami isn’t fair. 

also, iffy selections at WR imo. I doubt that many are taken in rnd1

I didn’t realize this mock draft had an official critic. Thanks for your professional input and gag emoji. Will keep it in mind. 😂 

2 hours ago, Paradis said:

Catching up on some picks—

JJ still finds his way to the Vikings, Nelios with a nice snag of QM, and bowers to Miami isn’t fair. 

also, iffy selections at WR imo. I doubt that many are taken in rnd1

Disagree about WR, there is only one of the picks i thought might be more of a 2nd rounder but the rest make sense to me.

If the defensive players were not quite bad in this draft compared to the past it might be different.

Tons of oline, top end QBs and WRS all makes sense with a total lack of D play makers this year

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, bonkertons said:

Thanks bud. I was tempted to go another route but the drop off after him was too risky imo. But yeah the priority has to be Young and Frazier is a great piece. 

Good pick as you have to do everything in your power to help Bryce Young, building the oline is step one above all else.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Beerfish said:

Good pick as you have to do everything in your power to help Bryce Young, building the oline is step one above all else.

For sure, and figured at 39 I’ll roll the dice on a weapon I like being there(wasn’t going to say this but who cares…TAKE MY GUY I DARE YOU ALL)

12 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Disagree about WR, there is only one of the picks i thought might be more of a 2nd rounder but the rest make sense to me.

If the defensive players were not quite bad in this draft compared to the past it might be different.

Tons of oline, top end QBs and WRS all makes sense with a total lack of D play makers this year

I think the other piece of this is we are Jet fans.  We look at players the jets need -- we need OL and WR, so those are the prospects that a lot of us know better and tend to go early in our draft.  

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Lith said:

I think the other piece of this is we are Jet fans.  We look at players the jets need -- we need OL and WR, so those are the prospects that a lot of us know better and tend to go early in our draft.  

I traded down knowing I’d get a good player since Jets fans basically over value outside receivers and OL in every mock draft the last 7 years. 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

22 minutes ago, Lith said:

I don't know, I stand by my comments, those are strengths in this draft relative to other parts  of the draft regardless of jets needs.

I see no sauce gardeners, nick bosas, michah parsons, we have one high end TE.

If we are going to be dubious of the WRs and ots who have been drafted we have to think who would you pick instead and their impact.

• Upvote 3

29 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

I don't know, I stand by my comments, those are strengths in this draft relative to other parts  of the draft regardless of jets needs.

If we are going to be dubious of the WRs and ots who have been drafted we have to think who would you pick instead and their impact.

This years draft is definitely skewed toward offense, particularly in the top 10, but it happens pretty much every year in our draft -- the early runs on OL and WR.  We took 30 picks to pick a defensive linemen.  I doubt that happens next month -- but to your point, we did have our own run of CBs who started coming off the board earlier than I expected.

46 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

And who’s gonna be available on day two

1 hour ago, Beerfish said:

Fair but I don’t think there’s a universe where Worthy/Mitchell/Franklin are 1st round talents. No matter the talent landscape

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Paradis said:

Fair but I don’t think there’s a universe where Worthy/Mitchell/Franklin are 1st round talents. No matter the talent landscape

You also have to go by who is drafted. If you need a WR and there was a bunch already drafted and you’re not going to pick again for 30 picks you reach. Worthy will probably go higher because teams want the next Hill. 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, New York Mick said:

You also have to go by who is drafted. If you need a WR and there was a bunch already drafted and you’re not going to pick again for 30 picks you reach. Worthy will probably go higher because teams want the next Hill. 

True, and I think that’s why teams need to do their homework in real life on these things. Do you reach on those guys or are you comfortable with you’ll get later. I don’t think there’s a massive canyon in quality between end of rnd 1 and 30 picks later, generally speaking 

4 minutes ago, Paradis said:

True, and I think that’s why teams need to do their homework in real life on these things. Do you reach on those guys or are you comfortable with you’ll get later. I don’t think there’s a massive canyon in quality between end of rnd 1 and 30 picks later, generally speaking 

I was trying to trade my first for a high 2nd round to get Worthy but that went out the window lol 

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, Paradis said:

Praying you are correct!

• Upvote 1

43 minutes ago, Paradis said:

They will all go in the 1st round of the NFL draft. Heard it here. This group of WRs in this draft are the best this league has seen in a long time. 

• Upvote 1

46 minutes ago, Paradis said:

Agreed. There are GM's who fall in love with speed however and Worthy runs a great straight line.

Not that mock drafts are ever 100% accurate, I have seen this more than not, where as many as 8 WRs go in the 1st round. In this one, in particular, Worthy goes to the Eagles at 22. Seen him as high as 15. 

https://www.pff.com/news/draft-2024-nfl-mock-draft-marvin-harrison-jr-offensive-tackles

As far as the others: 

Harrison, Nabers, Odunze, Thomas Jr, Franklin, Coleman, McConkey, Mitchell and obviously Worthy, have all been seen going in the 1st round. 

1 minute ago, Jdeet said:

Not that mock drafts are ever 100% accurate, I have seen this more than not, where as many as 8 WRs go in the 1st round. In this one, in particular, Worthy goes to the Eagles at 22. Seen him as high as 15. 

https://www.pff.com/news/draft-2024-nfl-mock-draft-marvin-harrison-jr-offensive-tackles

As far as the others: 

Harrison, Nabers, Odunze, Thomas Jr, Franklin, Coleman, McConkey, Mitchell and obviously Worthy, have all been seen going in the 1st round. 

I guess you're hoping there'll be on the 3rd tier of WR so you can grab an OT at 95! 😁

• Haha 1

26 minutes ago, Sarge4Tide said:

I thought the best pick of round 1 was Arizona and @Dcat getting Laiatu Latu with pick 24

I worked hard to get it. Just ask @Lith I had to figure out a way to get above Tampa Bay.  

• Upvote 2

Both trade down offers were reasonable but too far of a dive down.   

In this OL rich draft, I think Barton (Duke) is being overlooked.  He's tough as nails, versatile (can play C and slide in the IOL). Cards have a very expensive Jonah Williams on a rich 2 yr deal at LT and  they have former 1st rd pick Parris Johnson at RT for 3 more years and maybe 4 w/5th year option.  Barton doesn't fill any "immediate" need but will eventually start when Jonah Williams leaves or inevitably gets hurt.  His versatility will give the Cards lots of options along the line.  In addition, there is little depth at the position on the team, as their back up LT is currently Kelvin Beachum.  Yes... *that* Kelvin Beachum.   The team has some deeper needs, but the opportunity was too good to pass.

• Upvote 1

I like the Penix pick, I simply do not see why he is being ignored next to guys like mccarthy.

Oh he's old!  So what he is a a couple years older and thus more mature, the bigger fail for many QBs these days is too young and not enough starts.

Oh he has an injury history!   Basically two years of super high level healthy play.

• Upvote 3