Jets Have Turned Down Trade Offers for Zach

It's not really a distraction until the team is meeting and organizing for the media. Personally, I have no problem waiting to deal with zach until close to OTAs if that's what the Jets brass wants.

As I said in a longer post earlier - I think there is also a chance that these "offers" were old, and that the Jets declined them before the QB market settled itself out.

The other distinct possibility, if the offers have been poor, is that the Jets are waiting out the draft. Maybe a team that's hoping to draft a QB will miss out and return to us. The only real issue with this strategy will come if the Jets want to draft a different QB3, which would pretty much kill any chance of another team paying to take ZW

18 minutes ago, southparkcpa said:

I dont have time to investigate but I believe it.  rounds 2-5 matter and I remember how quickly he moved on from Trey Lance.  We stuck with both Becton and Zach and both were a waste of time.

Becton is a free agent. How are we stuck with him?

18 minutes ago, southparkcpa said:

I dont have time to investigate but I believe it.  rounds 2-5 matter and I remember how quickly he moved on from Trey Lance.  We stuck with both Becton and Zach and both were a waste of time.

Yep, that’s a big difference.

Cut your losses quickly or hold out ‘hope’ that someone will turn it on.  

Does Joe Douglas actually see a pathway for offers to increase?

Even if a contending team unexpectedly loses its starter, of what use would Zach Wilson be to them?

He's 3rd string / fringe roster / "developmental prospect" / training camp fodder.

After seeing the Jets' meltdown this past year, I doubt any team -- much less one with serious Super Bowl designs for '24 -- would trust him as their backup.

5 minutes ago, Mr. Rogers said:

My dude, I tried to make this same argument to myself the other day, so I compared Fields and ZWs stats. Fields has been better by every measurable metric, and has shown much more threat as a runner especially. For the sake of brevity I won't break that down unless you want me to.

I will also say - I think what has held ZW up is salary. Fields is owed 2m or 3m less this year. If Wilson made less I reckon we could get a comparable trade, but as it stands we should be thrilled with any team taking his salary off our hands, nevermind a 5th rounder

Even AR has changed his tune on Kapono (paraphrasing):

"I love Zach, I really do, but sometimes a change of scenery is best."  🤣 🤣

15 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

If this is true (that there are offers and that Woody is involved) it's almost certainly about money, not draft comp.

Woody doesn't want to eat 90% of the salary to dump him which obviously any team willing to give up a 7th round pick is insisting on.

If a draft choice for this April is somehow on the table, you grab that like a lifeboat from RMS Titanic.

If the Jets are stubborn, they are gonna end up cutting him and getting nothing.

Even a 7th round lottery ticket is better than nothing.

The Jets are going to have to eat salary in any trade.  Even the delusional Panthers can't be suckered any more because they're all in on Bryce Young.

Even AR has changed his tune on Kapono (paraphrasing):
"I love Zach, I really do, but sometimes a change of scenery is best."   
I agree with Aaron 100% on this ... That kid needs a lot of help to recover from the sh*t he went through here.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

If this is true (that there are offers and that Woody is involved) it's almost certainly about money, not draft comp.

Woody doesn't want to eat 90% of the salary to dump him which obviously any team willing to give up a 7th round pick is insisting on.

2 key questions unless there is a team that believes he has QB1 upside in the right system.  I’m just not sure that team exists after 3 years of game tape.  

1. Does any team view him as a legitimate backup QB?  If so, pay range would be somewhere between $3-6M.

2. Why would a team trade any assets for a backup QB?  Most teams do not make these types of trades and instead sign or draft someone.  

Just looking at the market data, the Jets will likely need to eat half the $5.5M salary to get any positive draft compensation in return.

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, bicketybam said:

Becton is a free agent. How are we stuck with him?

Play on words. We are stuck with him in terms of he may be worth near zero, he may be a role player. I wouldn't resign him. Fukk him.   In his 3 years here.. he has been a bust, a disappointment and JD tried to be smarter than 95 percent of experts when he took Becton.   

1 hour ago, PFSIKH said:

If the Jets gave Zach permission to seek a trade, then they might have offers.   

Seeing Mac and Fields have good game film and one can still be viewed with potential and only got 6th round picks.  The Jets might be trying to win the "2021 We F'd up the 1st Round QB we drafted" sweepstakes by getting a 3rd. 

Also if Pickett had a market, who’s tape is just as bad as ZW, he will be dealt. 

The only difference between them is  the salary.

• Upvote 2

48 minutes ago, Dunnie said:

Wow ..a guy works for four hours ... Tunes in for Clowney news and is met with this gem of a thread.

I was more surprised that the sun had risen this morning than the fact that the Jets have turned offers down for Wilson.

Zach showed out on a couple occasions way more than Fields.

Anything less than a fifth makes sense to turn down.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

Fields career passer rating is nearly 10 points higher than Wilson's. What are you smoking? He's worth less than Fields.

• Upvote 2

40 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

Woody just green lit a spending spree this offseason. It’s gotta be more than sour grapes over 5 million. Nothing about Wilson’s time on the team has made any sense from a football standpoint. There’s clearly something else there. Douglas is already bracing us for him coming back. 

• Haha 2

43 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

Woody is like Mr peanut crossed with the monopoly man 

• Haha 2

39 minutes ago, southparkcpa said:

Lynch found Warner in the 3rd and Purdy in the 7th(Purdy was the 3rd QB he drafted during his tenure I believe).  Even without Purdy though they'd still be a good team.  Lynch has been much better in the free agent market than JD.  

What was to be done with Becton?  Dude was hurt for 2 years straight.  They could have cut him but we'd be in no better shape now.  Maybe we could have gotten a late pick for Zach last year.  Still, a 2nd overall for Zach vs a 3rd overall, '22 1st, '23 1st, '22 3rd for Lance and a 4th....that sh*t is night and day.  Just imagine JD sacrificed two future drafts to pick Zach.  My God he would have been slaughtered.

Also don't forget Solomon Thomas, 3rd overall pick.  Oof.  

There is zero upside in cutting Zach now unless you need a spot on the 90 Man roster.   It does nothing, except give away future flexibility.

Cutting him now means that they are full on dead money for him, no option to move some of that off the books in a trade (with or without us giving up a pick.) Who knows if someone gets injured on another team and they need a backup, and so agree to eat 3-4 million of the salary.  

You get just as much value by cutting him the data you need to sign an UDFA to the 90 than today, so why would you take the options off the table just to 'be done now'?

• Upvote 3

25 minutes ago, OtherwiseHappyinLife said:

2 key questions unless there is a team that believes he has QB1 upside in the right system.  I’m just not sure that team exists after 3 years of game tape.  

1. Does any team view him as a legitimate backup QB?  If so, pay range would be somewhere between $3-6M.

No. Anyone who wants him views him as an upside flyer and wants to see him in training camp in their system with their coaches. Nobody would bring him in thinking "he's QB2."

25 minutes ago, OtherwiseHappyinLife said:

2. Why would a team trade any assets for a backup QB?  Most teams do not make these types of trades and instead sign or draft someone.  

Because you liked him pre-draft and think the Jets are morons. You think a 7th rounder with first round traits is worth it.

• Upvote 2

17 minutes ago, southparkcpa said:

Play on words. We are stuck with him in terms of he may be worth near zero, he may be a role player. I wouldn't resign him. Fukk him.   In his 3 years here.. he has been a bust, a disappointment and JD tried to be smarter than 95 percent of experts when he took Becton.   

He's been with the team 4 years and now he no longer a part of it. You are a day late and a dollar short 😅

Just now, UntouchableCrew said:

Can't argue that. It's absurd.

I just don't get telling him we'll trade him, publicly disparaging him and then being afraid to move off him.

Purposeful comments from Woody to keep him on the roster perhaps

2 hours ago, Wit said:

This is NOT  woody thing. This is what JD does. Hopefully he doesnt overplay it. Fields went for a sixth and actually has some decent game tape.

Fields doesn’t have a KC game

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Edgy said:

There is zero upside in cutting Zach now unless you need a spot on the 90 Man roster.   It does nothing, except give away future flexibility.

Cutting him now means that they are full on dead money for him, no option to move some of that off the books in a trade (with or without us giving up a pick.) Who knows if someone gets injured on another team and they need a backup, and so agree to eat 3-4 million of the salary.  

You get just as much value by cutting him the data you need to sign an UDFA to the 90 than today, so why would you take the options off the table just to 'be done now'?

Ok but what exactly is going to change between now and 9/1 to drastically alter the landscape and motivate another team to:

1) Give up assets

2) Take on ZW's salary

A 10 for 10 performance in pre-season week 1 for 5.0 YPA?

The Broncos just took on a freaking 85M dead cap penalty for Russ.

5.5M is a lesson learned.  What can be done?  Ask Goodell to force another team to step in and bail the Jets out?

They can try and hold out until the very last second, until ZW's contract expires on them.  Nothing is going to materially change.

13 minutes ago, Edgy said:

Because he’s a distraction.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

Ok but what exactly is going to change between now and 9/1 to drastically alter the landscape and motivate another team to:

1) Give up assets

2) Take on ZW's salary

Maybe a team that wanted a QB3 in the draft but ended up missing the prospect(s) they wanted? Maybe a team who really wants Wilson but is playing chicken to see if/when the Jets cut him?

In theory, Wilson being on the roster another year won't hurt anyone, especially because QB3s now don't have to count against the 53man GameDay roster. Maybe Wilson walking next year helps us get a better 2026 comp pick. At the least, it doesn't HURT to hold Wilson until 9/1. And maybe the Jets are serious about keeping him if nothing materializes? You never know. Look at the Cardinals and Vikings qb situations last year. They probably would have paid a 7th for Wilson mid-season. 

Edit: I'll admit I'm just playing devil's advocate here. I think if a Wilson deal doesn't materialize by training camp we should cut him before he legitimately becomes a distraction instead of an off-season talking point.

• Sympathy 1

36 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

No. Anyone who wants him views him as an upside flyer and wants to see him in training camp in their system with their coaches. Nobody would bring him in thinking "he's QB2."

Because you liked him pre-draft and think the Jets are morons. You think a 7th rounder with first round traits is worth it.

I think there is a lot of truth to that ... there are plenty of egos in the League who think they can turn someone around.  

Looking at recent first round QBs who didn't work out, the expectation is probably somewhere in between a back-up QB and a shot in the dark the reclamation project yields upside.  My point is that at a baseline minimum when you trade for someone, you'd like the guy to be a reliable back-up.  If there is upside, fantastic. 

Trey Lance was sent to the Cowboys for a 4th rounder and will compete to be their back-up this year.  Did the Cowboys expect him to overtake Prescott?   Likely not but there was an opportunity to develop him and see if they could get a better return via a trade in the future.  

Kenny Pickett + a 4th rounder was sent to the Eagles for a 3rd rounder + two 7th rounders.  Do the Eagles plan on Pickett taking over for Jalen Hurts after he just signed a big contract.  No, but they likely believe he can be their #2 with some upside for the future.

Teams will have different views on how Zach might fit in but at a minimum some teams will need to see backup QB qualities in Zach to trade something for him..  In my opinion, that will cost a 7th rounder and meeting midway on salary.  Yes, there will be other teams who simply want to take a flyer on him just for his upside but not rely on him to be their #2.  Not sure who the recent first round QB comps are in this scenario, after 3 years in the League.  

• Upvote 1