Jets Have Turned Down Trade Offers for Zach

30 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

I know the jokes will come pouring in but I'd really be worried if ZW ends up on the Dolphins.  Giving him those weapinzz with his arm and in good weather is not a combination I'd want to see if he does end up hitting his stride.  That's why I hope the Jets trade him rather than cut him.  Send him to the NFC.

Send him to another AFC East team. Only helps us. 

• Haha 2

9 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Woody johsnon gets told what the jets are going to do an he smiles and nods, he has no major impact on what the team does, none.

How have you been a Jets fan over the past thirty years and still believe this to be at all true?

• Upvote 3

10 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

lol he only owns the f**king team.  FFS.  

FFS what difference does that make?

He has hired people to run football operations, he wants to 'be in on everything' but he has almost zero pull.  What douglas and saleh tell him they are doing he wags his tail.

1 hour ago, bonkertons said:

Lynch found Warner in the 3rd and Purdy in the 7th(Purdy was the 3rd QB he drafted during his tenure I believe).  Even without Purdy though they'd still be a good team.  Lynch has been much better in the free agent market than JD.  

What was to be done with Becton?  Dude was hurt for 2 years straight.  They could have cut him but we'd be in no better shape now.  Maybe we could have gotten a late pick for Zach last year.  Still, a 2nd overall for Zach vs a 3rd overall, '22 1st, '23 1st, '22 3rd for Lance and a 4th....that sh*t is night and day.  Just imagine JD sacrificed two future drafts to pick Zach.  My God he would have been slaughtered.

Also don't forget Solomon Thomas, 3rd overall pick.  Oof.  

JD has had 1 good draft.  We can make excuses forever... but at some point we need to assess his skill. He is below expectations.

5 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

How have you been a Jets fan over the past thirty years and still believe this to be at all true?

I've never seen one credible piece of evidence to suggest it is true, not one.

The most famous one?  Tebow?  That was totally on rex and tanny and woody gets the blame.

Make no mistake woody is not a great owner, make no mistake he hires guys and lets them do the job even of he is front and center when talking about the team.

I'm sure McCaganan was some hero warrior burdened by the meddling of woody.

This stuff comes up when someone wants to take the heat off the gm or coach doing a sh*tty job.

Woody comes out and says we had no back up qb last year and 2 weeks later he is preventing the jets from dumping wilson?  Spare me.

3 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

I've never seen one credible piece of evidence to suggest it is true, not one.

Do they have internet in Canada? Streaming services? Perhaps Hard Knocks on a pirated satellite service?

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Doggin94it said:

Per PFT:

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootballtalk/rumor-mill/news/source-jets-have-gotten-trade-offers-for-zach-wilson

Frankly, clearing up 5.5M in cap space currently being spent on a third string QB is a more important outcome than getting a 6th rd pick instead of a conditional seventh. Unless someone is insisting they eat the contract anyway (which the acquiring team would need to pay for with better comp), they need to just take the best available offer and move on

Florios one of the the biggest POS in pro football. Just sayin....

35 minutes ago, PFSIKH said:

Yeah, but....

I agree with your point about teams want to take an "upside flyer" chance on Zach.  A team like KC, if Andy thought enough of him, would make perfect sense.  Or Cincy, LA Rams, or even Green Bay.  An offensive HC that might see something.

The reality for Zach is.  There are only two teams that would bring him in today (Denver and Minnesota) to compete.  Those teams are going to draft a QB, probably in round 1 next month.  

I'm not suggesting anyone is bringing him in to compete. If he were good enough for that to happen he would have been traded by now.

I'm just disputing the idea that any NFL GM is acquiring him thinking he'll be QB2 for them.

He's QB3 -- someone to have in training camp and depending on what you see you either roster him or leave him on the practice squad. A team like the Chiefs or 49ers are exactly the sort of teams this makes sense for -- teams that know they're good at maximizing value of QBs who will be able to suss out very quickly whether he's worth anything at all.

6 minutes ago, southparkcpa said:

JD has had 1 good draft.  We can make excuses forever... but at some point we need to assess his skill. He is below expectations.

Hey, this isn't strictly true. JD has made some excellent trades (particularly the Jamal Adams trade), and he hasn't saddled the team with any atrocious desperation contracts (think Leveon Bell). It seems like he has only missed out on a couple guys like tyreek hill and Shaq barrett due to NY/NJ taxes, which are beyond his control.

Yes, the FA hit rate hasn't been sexy and his drafts are overall subpar. It may be too soon to judge more recent drafts. He has done some decent business like signing DJ Reed or Q Williams extensions.

By far the most concerning thing is that he doesn't seem to be able to identify and bring in good offensive linemen, which will probably be enough to get him canned if this season goes wrong. However, we could also be singing his praises in a year's time if the Jets manage to look playoff competitive this year. I'm withholding my judgement until 2024 is over. 

23 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

I'm not suggesting anyone is bringing him in to compete. If he were good enough for that to happen he would have been traded by now.

I'm just disputing the idea that any NFL GM is acquiring him thinking he'll be QB2 for them.

He's QB3 -- someone to have in training camp and depending on what you see you either roster him or leave him on the practice squad. A team like the Chiefs or 49ers are exactly the sort of teams this makes sense for -- teams that know they're good at maximizing value of QBs who will be able to suss out very quickly whether he's worth anything at all.

My bad.  

I mis-read it. 

Starz Agree GIF by Power Book IV: Force

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, Mr. Rogers said:

Hey, this isn't strictly true. JD has made some excellent trades (particularly the Jamal Adams trade), and he hasn't saddled the team with any atrocious desperation contracts (think Leveon Bell). It seems like he has only missed out on a couple guys like tyreek hill and Shaq barrett due to NY/NJ taxes, which are beyond his control.

Yes, the FA hit rate hasn't been sexy and his drafts are overall subpar. It may be too soon to judge more recent drafts. He has done some decent business like signing DJ Reed or Q Williams extensions.

By far the most concerning thing is that he doesn't seem to be able to identify and bring in good offensive linemen, which will probably be enough to get him canned if this season goes wrong. However, we could also be singing his praises in a year's time if the Jets manage to look playoff competitive this year. I'm withholding my judgement until 2024 is over. 

I said he had 1 good draft, (i.e he drafts poorly)  I didn't say anything about FA's, cap management etc.  But since you mentioned it....  His FA signings are tarnished by his FA busts and I would add if he had just average drafts, the FA issue would be secondary, not primary.  The FA's he brought in to play with AR8 have sucked.   AR8 has blown up in his face. But if we are going to mention abstract things about JD, I bet he wore a polyester suit to his wedding.  :)

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, PepPep said:

What in god's name could they be offering that JD will not accept? Ebola? 

They will take the ebola as soon as the emergency use authorization is approved.

• Haha 2

56 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

This is like when the used car dealer says that he already has three offers on the table for the 1994 Volkswagen Rabbit, so if you want it you have to come strong with an offer right now. This will look funny when they end up cutting Zach in a few weeks. 

It'll look like what it is: 

They're trying to trade him, and saying anything other than exactly "If we can't trade him we'll keep him" then it nixes whatever small chance they have of a trade.

Of course, unless there's a bidding war. Luckily I'm typing so I don't have to say that last part out loud and try to keep a straight face.

At worst, make the QB3-camp fodder beat out this soft pudding of a player. 

They have until the end of August to drop him, assuming they get no offers. In the meantime it's doing no harm, other than the legions of fans who justifiably never want to see him QB for the Jets again. In that case the longest he'd be here through the summer, which serves a purpose anyway: instead of getting Rodgers and/or Taylor injured in those meaningless preseason games, they throw out his warm body to let front-7 defenders instead tee off on Zach while trying to make their own teams.

• Upvote 3

Except for the pretty obvious sour relationship between saleh and Zach there’s nothing that keeps him from being third string.  People seem to forget he won four games ( five if you include the Rodgers start) and was player of the week for his last win.  All this behind a crappy oline and suspect receiver corps.  There are plenty of reasons to think Zach can play the position.  And it’s not like he’d be keeping another player on the bench.  It’s going to be Taylor off the bench but if the oline functions like it should then Rodgers will be in all seventeen games.